Bumped Worst Tiger Player Ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ezra Poyas was the first one that came to mind, I remember his debut game or one of his early ones at least against North on a Friday night, the commentators hyped him up, I believe they even interviewed his dad... he played a stinker, 8 more then went the the demons

True - but he is the best Ezra ever to play.

Amazing to think that in nearly 12,000 AFL/VFL players in 114 years, he was the only called Ezra.Even more surprising - there was one other Ezra on a team list - Ezra Bray. In 1999, Ezra Bray was drafted #17 by the Cats and Ezra Poyas #22 by the Tigers. Ezra Bray never played a game (we got the good one:D). So, 103-odd years without an Ezra, and then 2 turn up in about 5 minutes.

Oh, and the answer to the question is Michael Laffey.

Although much maligned by all over their tiger careers, all of them were far from being classed as duds and in the worst player debate..all of them at various times, played some good games for the tigers. ;)

Hence the under average thing... not the worst but came to mind when the topic was bought up.

I actually remember quite a few blokes mentioned here and really thought they could have been something.. I even wanted Bourkey to play well at North.

Now I realise I was just really young and naive at the time :p

Hence the under average thing... not the worst but came to mind when the topic was bought up.

I actually remember quite a few blokes mentioned here and really thought they could have been something.. I even wanted Bourkey to play well at North.

Now I realise I was just really young and naive at the time :p

you must have been taken by his film star, super hero looks. ;)

you must have been taken by his film star, super hero looks. ;)

not really super hero good looks... but a fairly good match for movie star

166920.jpg
Jay-Baruchel11.jpg

Matthew Francis anyone?

Drafted in 1988 I think took 2 years to get a game, then went on to play 19 games over 4 years for us, then went on to Collingwood.

Close call between Michael Laffy and Billy Nicholls. You were playing one short with either of these in the team

Smasha has gone bang with Hudson. I forgot all about him. Kent Kingsley gets an honourable mention. Strawbs O'Dwyer is possibly the best person we've ever had to wear no.1 at our club (Ronald McDonald must have always wondered wear his wig got to).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think we should be celebrating all those who have donned the yellow and black. I don't know of any Richmond player who has taken the field and not given it all that he's got. It's a given that some aren't as talented as others, but instead of humiliation let's support them.
Go Tiges.

You should have kept to what you know then, Draga was a shining light in a dark time, albeit briefly. Could have gone on to be a star if it wasnt for the injuries.

Agreed 3 full knee reco's would ruin any footballer, he definitely had lots of potential and lots of skill.

Anyone remember John Howatt ex Melbourne player.

When Richmond recruited him I coped heaps at work from Melbourne supporters telling me he was the biggest dud on their list. Little did I know how true that came to be for us.
Absolute shocker.

When Richmond recruited him I coped heaps at work from Melbourne supporters telling me he was the biggest dud on their list. Little did I know how true that came to be for us.
Absolute shocker.
People are confusing battlers who played some OK footy at times, with out and out duds.
Howatt wasn't an out and out dud. Dud in the big scheme of things yes, but nowhere near our worst ever player.
We need some guidelines for this thread.
If it's duds you want then 1-gamers like Nick Jewell are probably the worst ever as they contributed the least.
If it's duds who played 30 games and wasted everyone's time, then that's a different matter.

Yeah, not something I like to dwell on, but there was a guy back in the early 80s called Wayne Shand.
Absolute shocking player.
I was reduced to tears one day in 1982 or 83 when I went to Princes Park to watch the lad play the Blues and out should run the aforementioned Wayne Shand in the #30 guernsey of my all-time favourite Tiger and idol Francis Bourke.
I was ropable - even as a 13 year old kid and went home and penned a letter to the club!
Goes to show, our club was disrespectful even back then!!

Ha. Shandy was unfortunately cut down in his prime but remains a solid Tiger to this day.

I tell you what, he's copping some flak over this post! His kids are all over it.

People are confusing battlers who played some OK footy at times, with out and out duds.
Howatt wasn't an out and out dud. Dud in the big scheme of things yes, but nowhere near our worst ever player.
We need some guidelines for this thread.
If it's duds you want then 1-gamers like Nick Jewell are probably the worst ever as they contributed the least.
If it's duds who played 30 games and wasted everyone's time, then that's a different matter.
I agree with this. The guy that placed 2 or 3 games can't be subjectively considered. However, someone needs to have played a minimum of 20 to 30 games to have had a good look at them and then make the call.

Absolute shocker.

Howat was definitely not a dud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back