Would it be okay for Freo to rest players if Port had won one more game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Supposing a) that Port were sitting just four points behind North and b) that they had a better percentage, would the AFL still allow Freo to go in resting half of their team? Obviously the result of the game still wouldn't have any impact on Freo in terms of the ladder, but surely North would be furious if they were to lose to Richmond in a proper contest and then fall behind Port who were granted an easy win?

Apologies if this has been discussed already in the other thread!

seems like afl has given all clear for north to rest players so seems like it wouldn't have mattered.

which i think is the right call. if Gill wants to pick the squads for footy teams he should have tossed his name i the ring for the carlton job. but the head coach picks the side with no interference and that's how it should stay.

Would see no problem in it. Every club has is list to chose players from, that's all regulation needed.

Still don't like it that much, want a win, even when I see why the club wants to do it.

PS And bottom 10 clubs have started sending players in for surgery that would still play when there would be a chance for finals as well.

Tanking has been discussed by the AFL before. I think the way they see it is that it is fine to choose any player from your list for a game. The issue becomes when the team that is out on the ground is deliberately not trying to win, or being instructed to play in a way that encouraged not winning. I really don't see how anyone can mandate who you can or can not choose from your own list.

A very similar thing happened in the NFL in 2009.

The Indianapolis Colts were 14-0 and leading against the NY Jets when they benched their QB and best player Peyton Manning. The Jets came back and won and made the playoffs just ahead of the Steelers and Texans. There was a fair amount of discussion/criticism at the time. Obviously the Colts did what they thought was best to prepare for the playoffs.

BTW, the Colts went on to play the Jets later in the playoffs and beat them but went on to lose the Superbowl!

Sydney sort of did it last year. At the top of the table with nothing to play for Pyke and Franklin were given the week off and the rest of the team didn't go at 100%. They played the ninth placed Richmond who ended up winning knocking WC out of a finals spot.

I think teams should be allowed to manage their players however they want, but they shouldn't be allowed to manipulate the finals fixture (or drafts) for their benefit. Although that would be hard to police.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Norf resting a s**t load of players for a game they obviously want to lose, is exactly what the AFL has a problem with?? Freo has had all the media attention on them, although their game has no bearing on theirs, or Ports final position. Why are the AFL allowing Norf to basically tank a game, in order to play their first final in Melbourne? If it were the other way around, and Freo were resting, to make sure their first final was in Perth, their would be massive outcry. Huge double standards from the VFL.

Surely Norf resting a s**t load of players for a game they obviously want to lose, is exactly what the AFL has a problem with?? Freo has had all the media attention on them, although their game has no bearing on theirs, or Ports final position. Why are the AFL allowing Norf to basically tank a game, in order to play their first final in Melbourne? If it were the other way around, and Freo were resting, to make sure their first final was in Perth, their would be massive outcry. Huge double standards from the VFL.
So the AFL picks the teams now and says who's best 22? Do they rate the players now? If you're on the list the coach is entitled to play who they want when they want. This whole issue is a non argument.

The AFL want two finals in Melbourne in the first week rather than one. That is all the justification they need to tick the box on approving North tanking. If they were playing Adelaide making the outcome reversed you can guarantee it would be killed off.

So the AFL picks the teams now and says who's best 22? Do they rate the players now? If you're on the list the coach is entitled to play who they want when they want. This whole issue is a non argument.

My point is, that North are doing it to change the outcome of the game, to better themselves, position wise in the finals, exactly what the AFL said they have an issue with when teams rest players on mass. Also, there's been a heap of talk about the integrity of the game, in regards to Freo resting players, when they're doing it for an actual rest for the players, not so they can lose the game, and then have a finals game that better suits them.

Freo's situation is a non argument, North's is a little more shady, they are trying to lose a game to benefit their position in the finals, not just to rest players who need a rest.

My point is, that North are doing it to change the outcome of the game, to better themselves, position wise in the finals, exactly what the AFL said they have an issue with when teams rest players on mass. Also, there's been a heap of talk about the integrity of the game, in regards to Freo resting players, when they're doing it for an actual rest for the players, not so they can lose the game, and then have a finals game that better suits them.

Freo's situation is a non argument, North's is a little more shady, they are trying to lose a game to benefit their position in the finals, not just to rest players who need a rest.
So where's the line? Teams rest one or two players all the time. Is integrity about team selection or performing to your best on the day? Freo stopped playing in the second half last week, does that go against the integrity of the comp? If you're on the list, you can play. The AFL can GTFO of team selections

Would see no problem in it. Every club has is list to chose players from, that's all regulation needed.

Still don't like it that much, want a win, even when I see why the club wants to do it.

PS And bottom 10 clubs have started sending players in for surgery that would still play when there would be a chance for finals as well.
Although rightfully so, if someone might break for no good reason at all. Then send them for surgery and reload for the next year.

After all, Ross did state at the beginning of year that if Freo's wheels fell off he would of started regenerating the list mid-year. Of course that didn't end up happening.

It is not ok now.

Makes a mockery of the game on Saturday. AFL owes a refund to fans who have paid for entry and an explanation to broadcasters.
Games like current day Brisbane v Melbourne make a mockery of the game, no disrespect to them.

Team selections shouldn't matter, what should matter is if a team clearly tries to lose during the game. Which won't happen in either game. So no big deal for mine.

Freo not to blame for their actions. AFL at fault for the rules.

That match should be abandoned and points split rather than asking supporters to pay full price for a half arsed game. This is the ultimate dead rubber.

So where's the line? Teams rest one or two players all the time. Is integrity about team selection or performing to your best on the day? Freo stopped playing in the second half last week, does that go against the integrity of the comp? If you're on the list, you can play. The AFL can GTFO of team selections

You're right, it's hard to draw a line, and to police, but surely you agree that North's resting of players is a little bit dodgy, in the sense that they are deliberately trying to lose so they don't have to travel to AO to play the crows?? I know that's their choice etc because they are in that position, but it just doesn't feel "right"

Anyway, it doesn't effect me, or my team, so no huge deal. I just didn't like the fact Freo have copped so much scrutiny for something that in theory is the same as North's situation, yet in reality is completely different, and they get their integrity questioned, yet North have nothing said about them. I hate Freo, don't get me wrong but they're copping criticism unfairly I reckon.

You're right, it's hard to draw a line, and to police, but surely you agree that North's resting of players is a little bit dodgy, in the sense that they are deliberately trying to lose so they don't have to travel to AO to play the crows?? I know that's their choice etc because they are in that position, but it just doesn't feel "right"

Anyway, it doesn't effect me, or my team, so no huge deal. I just didn't like the fact Freo have copped so much scrutiny for something that in theory is the same as North's situation, yet in reality is completely different, and they get their integrity questioned, yet North have nothing said about them. I hate Freo, don't get me wrong but they're copping criticism unfairly I reckon.
I don't agree with norths approach, but they are entitled to play anyone on their list. Freo have copped it unfairly, but again, they're just using their list, which is well within the rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back