Would Sam Mitchell get a game in any other side?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
I can see that Duck is backpedalling on this one, trying to state that his point was that he would not be as effective in other teams, or that he would be criticized in other teams for his lack of defensive running. Others are also backpedalling on his behalf by trying to re-frame his argument. It's important that we remember his original comment, which was to question whether he would get a game in any other side. I think Cameron Ling's genuine incredulity on the commentary said it all, it was an insane comment.

When did he make that original comment?

Because, well, he'd be getting a game in every other side in the competition and would have been getting a game at every other club in the competition since about...2005, I'd say.

Guy can play.

When did he make that original comment?

Because, well, he'd be getting a game in every other side in the competition and would have been getting a game at every other club in the competition since about...2005, I'd say.

Guy can play.

The point Carey is trying to make is he gets exposed for pace, which in a vacuum is true but he misses the point that you can't run away from him. Hawthorn's game is built on pace of ball movement, not foot speed.

The point Carey is trying to make is he gets exposed for pace, which in a vacuum is true but he misses the point that you can't run away from him. Hawthorn's game is built on pace of ball movement, not foot speed.
Exactly.

His vision is his other asset that sets him apart from most. It's almost Greg Williams-esque.

And, of course, the quality of his disposal. In a side like Hawthorn where the quality of disposal is what stands out more than anything, Mitchell is still possibly the finest exponent of it. Lack of pace is almost irrelevant in his case.

I can see that Duck is backpedalling on this one, trying to state that his point was that he would not be as effective in other teams, or that he would be criticized in other teams for his lack of defensive running. Others are also backpedalling on his behalf by trying to re-frame his argument. It's important that we remember his original comment, which was to question whether he would get a game in any other side. I think Cameron Ling's genuine incredulity on the commentary said it all, it was an insane comment.

But you can see Carey's point.

Can't run....Has short squat legs like Barney....Can't kick over 40 meters....Average possessions dangerously close to dropping below 35....Will be 33 soon....Defensive technique still deficient.

Just lucky for him that he plays in a team of champions where we can hide his liabilities....Will be the first de-listed come the end of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I think Wayne over blew the criticism, he was identifying Mitchell's most obvious flaw. Mitch has never been a gazelle in the Smith mold, he is however quick over the first 10 meters and can change direction like a pinball. Wayne's ego and moderate intellect brought him undone. He was not prepared to take the criticism and was incapable of re-framing his initial premise to include the caveat that opposition could exploit his limitation in a lesser team, which is quite possible. What the fool could not admit was Mitchell's total package was enough to compensate his limitation and has been for 270 odd games. Would he be a walk up start in any team, can't think of the team that wouldn't find a spot form him.

The point Carey is trying to make is he gets exposed for pace, which in a vacuum is true but he misses the point that you can't run away from him. HAWTHORN's game is built on pace of ball movement, not foot speed.

This is the point carey IS trying to make. Mitchell fits well into the way hawthorn, in particular, plays. BUT Mitchell has shown he performs well in struggling lesser skilled sides. He played for us in the early 2000's.

I think Carey's garbled message was Mitchell (the current version) is 32 years old, and in any other club, trying to build a list that in 4 or 5 years could rival that of Hawthorn, he would be considered not part of their future plans. But he had started down the path of citing his lack of speed contributing to a flaw in his defense. Hawthorn's lack of tackling is brough about in part by our uncontested footy. We have an awful lot of the ball, and probably feel it's pointless to tackle our own players just to get the tackle count up. So instead when the opponennt has the ball, we corale them cutting off their options turning their next kick into a 50/50. Mitchell is one of the best at this.

Someone should show Carey last years gf- or any game from this year as again he has been consistently great. He's never had the quickest legs, however he makes great decisions and is lightning by hand . Wtf was he thinking? Four time b&f winner, second only to Leigh . Clarko said it best in the presser - "not worth responding to".

Probably a case of clumsy wording but Carey was too dumb and arrogant to clarify what he meant. Instead stuck to his guns and made a bigger fool of himself.

If what he meant is Hawthorn is so good that individual weaknesses can be covered up, he's probably right. But Mitchell's strengths far far outweigh his weaknesses. He would be a superstar not only in every other current side but in every side that has ever played the game.

He's closing in on Dunstall as the best Hawk I've seen. I have him ahead of Hodge and Franklin.

But you can see Carey's point.

Can't run....Has short squat legs like Barney....Can't kick over 40 meters....Average possessions dangerously close to dropping below 35....Will be 33 soon....Defensive technique still deficient.

Just lucky for him that he plays in a team of champions where we can hide his liabilities....Will be the first de-listed come the end of the season.

Must dispute that point Pc35, I have seen him kick goals from the 50M mark with both left and right feet. (Not at the same time, but Mitch could probably do that too, if asked.) Or, are you implying how he is perceived by Carey.

Mustve been fortunate enough to walk out when the original conversation took place, only caught the post match backpeddaling.

Anyway, I've always thought Mitch (and Hodge for that matter), while a little slow would be starters in any era of Hawks team. He wouldn't look out of place, or unable to flourish lacing up the boots beside any of our champs. I can think of no greater accolade.
Then I look at other 'champions of the game' like Judd and wonder how he would have survived a pummeling in the 60s or 70s? Whippets like he and Ablett would have to have kept their wits about them to last a full match. Chicken wings, eye gouges would have been dealt with on the field, summarily. Forget the prettyboi umpire protection.

The duck, the greatest, most dominating player I reckon after Lethal, but one hell of a utensil of a bloke. Seriously, how was his defensive game as a forward. Did he like to chase and tackle?

Duck was just trying to liven up a dull game for neutrals, stir s**t up. Quite possibly acting under instruction from the network/s.

Sammy wouldn't just get a game in any other side, he would get a game in just about every side in history...
I think you are spot on.

Firstly Carey isn't smart enough to come up with such a far fetched theory like that. (has IQ at cretin level).

So I am of the thought that one of the producers during yesterday afternoon in the pre-game planning session, threw the idea up and thought Carey could run with it to keep people switched onto the broadcast.

Pretty much a basic troll and with Duck trying to justify the notion by using his credentials (gees that was a cringe worthy moment), he proved what a complete tool we know him to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back