Would Sydney be tempted to tank?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Sydney supporter, I fully endorse at least a dozen late changes if Collingwood somehow manage to beat Hawthorn tonight.

The look on Eddie's face and subsequent head explosion as Sydney gift Richmond a spot in the finals at the expense of Collingwood would be just golden...

I could get behind this.

As a Sydney supporter, I fully endorse at least a dozen late changes if Collingwood somehow manage to beat Hawthorn tonight.

The look on Eddie's face and subsequent head explosion as Sydney gift Richmond a spot in the finals at the expense of Collingwood would be just golden...

This would almost be worth us not making the finals

I hope so but i don't think they would with him. Buddy seems to play better when he's playing every week. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone else be a late withdrawal though.
He does but he also has history of doing something stupid just before finals like a late hit. I'd be more worried about that than getting injured, especially if Richmond go the knuckle in an attempt to put Sydney off.

He does but he also has history of doing something stupid just before finals like a late hit. I'd be more worried about that than getting injured, especially if Richmond go the knuckle in an attempt to put Sydney off.

It should be a concern. People mention the last time we played how franklin kicked 4 on Rance. 2 of those goals was when Rance had handed buddy off to another defender while he was interchanged and the other 2 came from dodgy free kicks. Rance is one of those rare guys that can match him all across the ground and niggle the s**t out of him. I would not be surprised if buddy smacks him in the mouth or guts.

It should be a concern. People mention the last time we played how franklin kicked 4 on Rance. 2 of those goals was when Rance had handed buddy off to another defender while he was interchanged and the other 2 came from dodgy free kicks. Rance is one of those rare guys that can match him all across the ground and niggle the s**t out of him. I would not be surprised if buddy smacks him in the mouth or guts.

Or Buddy will get the half dozen frees he should have got from blatant Rancid "niggles" last time and he'll kick 10.

I can't see Sydney tanking - reckon they will play with a lot of intensity and (maybe) ease up late in the game to give a few players an extra rest.

I hope they take the game seriously (and I think they will) - would hate to win and have people trying to taint it saying the Swans didn't try.

I can't see Sydney tanking - reckon they will play with a lot of intensity and (maybe) ease up late in the game to give a few players an extra rest.

I hope they take the game seriously (and I think they will) - would hate to win and have people trying to taint it saying the Swans didn't try.

They will still taint it if we got up. Boom mark these " Oh it was a nothing game". " The umpires lost it for us". " We did not have a good side in" etc etc...most of those funny enough wont come from Sydney fans but Essendon and carlton fans :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be silly to tank and give up first spot because the highest team gets the Friday night prelim - unless, oh hang on.

the benefits of being second fiddle to another sporting comp up here.

2nd week of finals in NRL could see two of souths, manly and penrith host matches at Olympic Park, particularly for Manly if their opponents are canterbury or parramatta. penrith and souths will play their home finals at Olympic Park no matter what.

if north queensland and melbourne win their week 1 elimination finals (probably the more likely scenario too), then manly would probably play any wk 2 final against either of them at moore park.

none of that probably makes sense.

Last edited:
I really don't see what Sydney has to gain by playing Geelong instead of Fremantle. Geelong's won their last 3 at ANZ and 12 of their last 15 against the Swans. One thumping against a much weakened and tired Geelong side this year doesn't change the fact that we match up well against them and play ANZ well. Instead they can play Fremantle off the back of a really tough match against Port. Not saying they'd prefer to play Freo but it's not a big difference.

The only team with a real reason to try and manipulate their result is Geelong where they'd prefer to play Hawthorn than Sydney away while both Sydney and Hawthorn will be at home anyway and Fremantle have to win to make the 4.

Didn't the Western Bulldogs do something similar in 2009 but they had to win by a given amount to face Geelong instead of St Kilda in the qualifying final and were giddy with joy when they did so only to be well beaten the next week?

I don't expect sydney to deliberately tank, the players are competitive. However I do think sub consciously the players will know they have bigger fish to fry than Richmond and may take some % off of their effort

I don't expect sydney to deliberately tank, the players are competitive. However I do think sub consciously the players will know they have bigger fish to fry than Richmond and may take some % off of their effort

But surely the best way to have an easy game would be to be 60 points up by half time.

Richmond are a shoe in to win this week. The swans didn't give to f's about the first couple of games of the home and away, and were wondering if they will be intense in the last round having sewn up a top 2 spot??

Unlikely they'd tank, but possible.
However, I have been amazed at the number of football people assuming top spot is a fait accompli. On current form Hawthorn absolutely thrashing Collingwood and Richmond defeating Sydney would not be a massive surprise. If it transpires, Hawks finish top to play either Freo or Port at the G. Sydney would then play Geelong in Sydney. I'd argue both Sydney and Hawthorn would feel pretty comfortable with that outcome.

In the end top spot and 2nd spot are no different as far as the Swans are concerned.

swans vs cats game was rigged to made goodes look untouchable on his "indiginious" round. Bear in mind freo also lost to hawthorn by nearly 100 back in round 3 and beat them the next game.

My point? Fair officiating ( yeah right) and the cats can give the swans a serious touch up. But that would hinder the "draw for tv" story line of buddy facing his old club in the grand final.

Sydney is not the top side anyways, how do you finish top 4 last year, lose in a prelim and the only team you play twice from last years top 4 is the hawks cause of buddy? No freo at pattersons, not geelong at skilled....2 very likely losses, and that means no top spot.

Also bear in mind more afl manipulation, cats played 3 games in 18 days before the sydney game, sydney......came of a bye. Oh nice random draw afl lol. Another bought bogus sydney flag so their "loyal" fans dont watch rugby, and macavaney can keep blurting out what a culture!!! What a team!!!! But conviently not what a draw!!! What a salary cap!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back