Would Sydney be tempted to tank?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We left Kenneddy & McGlynn out. I suspect both would be playing if we were serious about the game. Also wouldn't be surprised if one or two of Franklin/Jack/McVeigh were late outs.

"Apparently" it wasn't an injury. He just felt some tightness in his harmstring during the St Kilda game so they took him off as a precaution. If it was a final this week he'd be playing for sure.
Who knows though. With our medical staff he could be dead for all we know.

Apparently? According to the Hun there was tightness and fluid. It may not be a tear but it's an injury. And of course you'd know if he'd be playing or not if you were serious... John Longmire seems to be serious about the game even if you're not.

Richmond are a shoe in to win this week. The swans didn't give to f's about the first couple of games of the home and away, and were wondering if they will be intense in the last round having sewn up a top 2 spot??
What planet are you from? Do you really believe the Swans didn't care about their first two games? If we win it'll be because we were the better side on the day. I didn't think too much about Swans supporters but they're already making pre-emptive excuses for a loss.

Our coaching staff are conscious of 2013. So maybe a late change but 100% endeavor to try and blow them away in the first half. Second half will be interesting. Jack and Richards the two names that come to mind.

Last edited:
What planet are you from? Do you really believe the Swans didn't care about their first two games? If we win it'll be because we were the better side on the day. I didn't think too much about Swans supporters but they're already making pre-emptive excuses for a loss.

The planet where we lost to gws in round 1 and looked awful up until the freo game. The swans times their pre season so that their fitness peaked in the latter half of the year . The opposite approach to port who threw everything they had into the first half of the year and have stumbled ever since

throwing the game before the finals wouldn't be tanking, jeez. tanking is what most of the victorian clubs do to try and get relevant again quickly but unfortunately it rips the soul out of football clubs and the players they tank for don't end up having a solid club to play for.

Incredibly early days and I'm clearly getting ahead of myself - but what do Sydney do if Collingwood win and Sydney mathematically wrap up top spot tonight. Surely we get a few late changes for the Swans. They won't tank and will try to win, but why risk stars in a game the opposition will do anything to win?

Sydney won't "tank", players playing for finals spots in some cases, but hopefully they don't bring their full intensity, I'm hoping, and hoping only, that Richmond get away early and the Swans do go a little bit individual, self preservation almost.
Time will tell, should be a cracking atmosphere.

I still find this thread to be pretty ******* funny. Richmond, 8 wins in a row, must be favourites, against a team that's won 16 of their last 17, narrowly going down to the Hawks at the MCG.

Yes of course, I see the logic, a team that was equal bottom 9 weeks ago, against the premiership favourites, and team that will most likely finish top. How obvious, Richmond must of course win this.

dunno_original.jpg

Apparently? According to the Hun there was tightness and fluid. It may not be a tear but it's an injury. And of course you'd know if he'd be playing or not if you were serious... John Longmire seems to be serious about the game even if you're not.

Longmire said he expected both players to be available for next week’s finals clash, and stressed that the decision to rule them out this week was purely precautionary.

“Josh and Benny are just a little bit tight,” he said.

“I’ve said all week and particularly after the game, that anyone with any injuries at all, no matter how small they might be, that we were not going to risk them in this game.

“We’d be silly to do that and we didn’t want to push them any further than what our medical staff thought they should be pushed today, so we ruled them both out and made that decision early.”

I still find this thread to be pretty ******* funny. Richmond, 8 wins in a row, must be favourites, against a team that's won 16 of their last 17, narrowly going down to the Hawks at the MCG.

Yes of course, I see the logic, a team that was equal bottom 9 weeks ago, against the premiership favourites, and team that will most likely finish top. How obvious, Richmond must of course win this.

dunno_original.jpg
Favourites? I reckon you've got the wrong thread, that's what's funny.

Longmire said he expected both players to be available for next week’s finals clash, and stressed that the decision to rule them out this week was purely precautionary.
“Josh and Benny are just a little bit tight,” he said.
“I’ve said all week and particularly after the game, that anyone with any injuries at all, no matter how small they might be, that we were not going to risk them in this game.
“We’d be silly to do that and we didn’t want to push them any further than what our medical staff thought they should be pushed today, so we ruled them both out and made that decision early.”

So they're injured. If they weren't they'd be playing.

dunno_original.jpg

Only delusional people are thinking that's the case, and you're delusional for believing that they represent the majority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney play Richmond on Saturday night. If Hawthorn belt the Pies and Sydney lose to Richmond by a relatively small margin, Hawthorn's percentage could easily move ahead of Sydney's and they would finish first. Sydney would finish second and play Geelong at home.
LOLOLOL....nah man....

You spent all this time thinking of this and u got the times wrong....

LOLOLOLOL

so how much do we need to lose by for cloggeds conspiracy to come true?
Assuming Richmond win:
Left number = If Richmond's score is this...
Right number = ...then if Sydney score below this they move to 2nd

150 - 150
140 - 136
130 - 122
120 - 107
110 - 93
100 - 79
90 - 65
80 - 51
70 - 37
60 - 23
50 - 9
43 - 0

Richmond aren't beating Sydney in Sydney. Get real!
Did you think the same re Richmond beating Adelaide in Adelaide or West Coast in Perth?

This is also at ANZ which is not the Swans home ground, in the last 5 years the Swans record at ANZ is 8 losses 9 wins, so not spectacular and although Richmond has never played there before I would rather it at ANZ than the SCG.

Did you think the same re Richmond beating Adelaide in Adelaide or West Coast in Perth?

This is also at ANZ which is not the Swans home ground, in the last 5 years the Swans record at ANZ is 8 losses 9 wins, so not spectacular and although Richmond has never played there before I would rather it at ANZ than the SCG.

yes but 7 of those 9 games were against collingwood.
the other was hawthorn.

throwing the game before the finals wouldn't be tanking, jeez. tanking is what most of the victorian clubs do to try and get relevant again quickly but unfortunately it rips the soul out of football clubs and the players they tank for don't end up having a solid club to play for.

Most Vic clubs?
Never Tear Us Apart:oops:

Nevertheless they would want to go into the finals with momentum not with a loss against an inferior team. I know your club has a lot of confidence and belief at the moment but c'mon it's Sydney, they have lost one game since round 4 and that was against Hawthorn.

yes but 8 of those 9 games were against collingwood.

What difference does that make, Richmond has never played there either way but fact is you are only just better than 50/50 there, 5 of the losses are against Collingwood who have the wood on you up there.

Against the Tigers in the same time period you are only 4 wins to 3 and that is in a period where we had to rebuild from the bottom, the game could go either way but we match up well with the Swans and if anything the ground should suit our style at least as much as the Swans.

Nevertheless they would want to go into the finals with momentum not with a loss against an inferior team. I know your club has a lot of confidence and belief at the moment but c'mon it's Sydney, they have lost one game since round 4 and that was against Hawthorn.
Well they are definitely favourites, but as this could be our last game for the year, Im going to keep hoping:D

The last round offers an interesting dimension, with Sydney possibly being given the ability to choose who they play in the first week of finals.

Hawthorn play Collingwood on Friday night, and given both sides form of late it could easily be a 10 goal margin to the Hawks. Geelong play Brisbane on Saturday afternoon and should win.

Sydney play Richmond on Saturday night. If Hawthorn belt the Pies and Sydney lose to Richmond by a relatively small margin, Hawthorn's percentage could easily move ahead of Sydney's and they would finish first. Sydney would finish second and play Geelong at home.

The Fremantle vs Port game is on at the same time, but both teams have come much closer to Sydney at home than Geelong did. While none of the three possible opponents have beaten the Swans, both the Power and the Dockers have been tough opponents for Sydney this year, but Geelong were thrashed by 110 points in their only encounter.

It is not outside the bounds of reason for the Swans to lose going into finals. In 2012, they lost the last round, and lots three of their four against top eight opponents. They still won the premiership. Also, other teams have tanked the last round to set up a better finals opponent in the qualifying final - see Essendon in 2001.

So will Sydney do it?

Doing so will also secure the Tigers appearing in consecutive finals for the first time since the 70s, and the march of the Tiger army from 8th might just wipe out whoever finishes fifth out of Freo or Port, and march on to beat the lose of 1 vs 4.

You know this is match fixing right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back