Would we entertain the thought of Gibbs...

Remove this Banner Ad

Please hold off on the smart ass replies, i really just want to guage what other pie fans think.
Off half back, as a designated kicker out of the backline. I think he is exactly the kind of player we need, especially if Seedsman isn't up to it defensively. Gibbs has shown he can play one on one, and we wouldn't be asking him to be an elite midfielder, just a good/verging on all australian, full time half back flanker.
He would certainly help our kickouts.

Also, could you just imagine if he did come to Collingwood and actually played great footy? Would make all Carlton fans squirm. Not that this thought is one of vengeance, more about where our list is at. I think he would compliment us well.

Think we should be fine for half back flankers - Scharenberg could be a gun, also have Seedsman. Langdon has shown a fair bit so far, Oxley and Ramsay have potential, and Broomhead is versatile to play back as well. And all of them youngsters - The Seed is the oldest one at 22 - so the future looks very bright.
We should save our $$$ to re-sign our own players - Beams is top of the list now.

Last edited:

As a quick-ish back flanker with good disposal for a designated kicking role, I'm more confident about Young, Seedsman, Scharenberg and Langdon who are already on the list. Then there's Oxley who's more speculative and Fasolo who has been playing there recently. Gibbs would be expensive and doesn't fill a structural need.

Plus, we'd need to pay massive overs to turn him away from one of the SA clubs.

We have a harder more skilled Gibbs already

matt-scharenberg_14pt38twvtbxu1da3jstc64fq8.jpg

I think Gibbs is underrated, but I'll always choose the option of developing youth. We seem to have done very well with recruiting that type of player this year. Maybe it's because Bucks emphasises the importance on kicking skills. Who can blame him?

Not interested myself. Plays too much uncontested footy. Not worth big money either. Sign Beams, that should be a priority, not signing someone who has under performed pretty much their whole career.

I think Gibbs will go to a club who will use him as a midfielder, not force him to play at half-back. I don't think we should be looking to add less-than-elite options in the midfield at Gibbs' age given the money he's asking.

At his asking price which according to some reports is 800 a season I think absolutely not,Beams who is twice the player he is and I read somewhere is on 350 a season is the player we have to secure next and he most definitely deserves a big increase.

I would like to sign Beams this season on an extended contract I know he is contracted for next season but there are not too many mids who kick 3 and get 30 a game which he is more than capable of on a regular basis.

If Beams had not been injured last season I have no doubt he would a be top 7 player in the game,finishes well and great in close also must re sign asap please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Putting aside the money issue, he would be a great pick-up for us across half back. He may be an under performer but he he is still a classy player whose skills would be an asset to us.

I like the calls saying pay up for Beams (he'll finish top 2 Copeland if he keeps up current output) and target Frawley before Gibbs. Surely Danger is a pipe-dream but if he was in our mid-field the opposition would not know who to tag. It would be unstoppable.

But I agree he's the type we need coming out of defence. I was bullish on Hurn for this reason. Our other back-flankers are very speculative but if/when the likes of Seedsman, Scharenberg, Langdon, Oxley come on we will have loads of similar types and he may be a waste of cap. That said, at 26 next March he's ready to go now. We'll have a better idea once the Seed gets back and the Berg gets on the park; not to mention Marley.

I like the calls saying pay up for Beams (he'll finish top 2 Copeland if he keeps up current output) and target Frawley before Gibbs. Surely Danger is a pipe-dream but if he was in our mid-field the opposition would not know who to tag. It would be unstoppable.

But I agree he's the type we need coming out of defence. I was bullish on Hurn for this reason. Our other back-flankers are very speculative but if/when the likes of Seedsman, Scharenberg, Langdon, Oxley come on we will have loads of similar types and he may be a waste of cap. That said, at 26 next March he's ready to go now. We'll have a better idea once the Seed gets back and the Berg gets on the park; not to mention Marley.

You are right, Beams probably could do with a pay rise. Want him to stick around for as long as possible.

Danger is a bit of a dream, no doubt. Last year there was talk of us having a lot of cap space with the intention of landing a big fish... so you never know. Id say a 80-90% chance he WONT come to us... but you never know.

I think if the price was right, and we considered ourselves in the window next year, then you would have to look at Gibbs. If he was asking for crazy money, then not worth it.

As with the majority, he'd compliment our mids as a winger or HBF but for that money you'd want something infinitely better. Just to expensive.

Of course we'd entertain the thought, but you wouldn't think anyone would pay him over 500k a year now, what is going on at Carlton is effecting all their player values I reckon.

The one positive factor of getting Gibbs is that I don't think he's been developed properly, he's an outside mid/half back yet has been played in just about every position there is.

The word around is that Adelaide are very interested (at the right price) and surely he won't stay with Carlton after this shambles.

For us though it's a NO, Young, Williams, Seedsman, Sinclair, Freeman, Broomhead, Oxley, Langdon and Fasolo (just to name a few) are of a similar type so we don't really need him anyway.

I would certainly entertain the idea. I think he would be a great for our side primarily because of his foot skills. I think he would flourish in our team.

However, there is the little issue of money. If he is coming across to primarily to win a flag then by all means lets chase him. But if its a monetary based decision then we would simply be paying overs and could not get any where near what Adelaide would offer him. Lets remember at the end of the day you don't want to pay a whole lot for a half back flanker. I would love to have him and he would improve our side but at what price?

I think Gibbs will end up at either Adelaide for the cash or the Hawks who still have plenty of post Franklin dosh and a fairly attractive flag carrot hanging there for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back