Would we entertain the thought of Gibbs...

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah.

He could end up being very useful for the right club, and purely in terms of onfield contribution he could end up more than handy for us. But we've invested heavily in terms of drafting and development in that area of the ground to spend that kind of coin on him now.

In his case I'd prefer to stick with the model of developing youth and bringing in players that can play a role without breaking the bank. It leaves us with more room to maneouver when re-signing our existing talent. Say we gave Frawley or Gibbs in excess of 500k for 3 to 4 years... Come the 3rd and 4th year of those deals, it may compromise our ability to retain someone like Beams or Grundy when other clubs come knocking.

That being said, I wouldn't cry if we signed up Dangerfield! Damn you guys for putting that impossible idea in my head!

would like to have some of his skillful efficient ball use in the team... just not with him though!

I would love him at Collingwood no doubt! He is a quality player.

I would play him in the forward line as he is a solid mark and is a great kick at goal, he could also play as a winger for us.

Don't think he will come to Collingwood though, almost certainly he will go to Port Adelaide. Those who think he is no good at football I really don't know why they think that. If it's because he is soft, we are full of soft players at Collingwood as well.

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't want that Soft utensil
I've never made physical contact with his flaccid appendage, so cannot really comment on his hardness or lack there of.
He will go home to Adelaide & live in a mansion for the rest of his life (good luck to him).

Dont really want us to pay 'elite' money for an 'ok' player who sits across half back all game long.

We have Beamer who slugs away at the stoppages game after game and does it with distinction. Throw the extra cash his way and keep most of the lads happy.

IMO, Port are playing mind games. I don't think they will chase Gibbs hard. Adelaide seems more the go. They're in need of class midfielders while Port have a surplus. With Polec tearing it up as a similar player, not sure how Gibbs fits in amongst Boak, Ebert, Wingard, Broadbent, Hartlett, Wines, etc.

They don't seem like a team who would pay 600k for someone who will be a second stringer.

Just my take, but I'd rather we look after our own backyard in 2014 by signing Beams on the money he deserves.

From there if there's anything left over in 2015 go real hard at Dangerfield.

For what it's worth Mark Ricciuto says we are into Dangerfield in a big way. I know it's easy for him to say this because which club would be but he has made big comments like this in the past and been right. I'd believe it when I see it.

For what it's worth Mark Ricciuto says we are into Dangerfield in a big way. I know it's easy for him to say this because which club would be but he has made big comments like this in the past and been right. I'd believe it when I see it.

I tend to believe it coming from Ricciuto. It doesn't mean we're any sort of chance to get him, but it's certainly nice to hear the club are in the hunt.

Link please

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the right price (4-500k) we would be silly not to at least consider him. (he is not worth 800, and I doubt Adelaide or Carlton will be offering him that much).
I think he would be in our 22 and could fit anywhere from HB-HF. His size would also be very useful in our midfield.

The other thing to consider, is that premiership teams do well when you have a spread of ages. You need the right balance between experience and youth, because with experience also comes bigger built bodies, who have in the past outmuscled some of our smaller younger guys. Ball and Swan both turn 30 this year, if we are aiming for a run at the flag over 2-3 years, then Ball will almost definately not be there, and Swan will probably not be a full-time mid (if at all).
Pendles, Beams and Sidebottom (plus Macaffer) will be still in, or hitting, their peaks... but then the age and experience level drops right off. Having another guy in his mid-late 20's for a premiership run would be very, very useful. (and yes, if Dangerfield is a serious option - then he would be incredible, but probably unlikely).
---

As for Frawley, I have not seen enough of him to comment, other than to say I am not sold on a key defensive player for a team that has been well and truly pantsed most of the time these last few years.

Please hold off on the smart ass replies, i really just want to guage what other pie fans think.
Off half back, as a designated kicker out of the backline. I think he is exactly the kind of player we need, especially if Seedsman isn't up to it defensively. Gibbs has shown he can play one on one, and we wouldn't be asking him to be an elite midfielder, just a good/verging on all australian, full time half back flanker.
He would certainly help our kickouts.

Also, could you just imagine if he did come to Collingwood and actually played great footy? Would make all Carlton fans squirm. Not that this thought is one of vengeance, more about where our list is at. I think he would compliment us well.
We'd be paying huge overs for him and Seedsman will end up a better rebounder than him if he can stay fit. Also I think Fasolo could end up a better defender as soon as the end of this season.

I don't understand all the hype with Gibbs, he can't hack it in the midfield and accumulating cheap possessions across half back is about the easiest position in the game atm. Also since when has he been on the verge of AA? He hasn't been close to it ever. Recruiting Gibbs would be a bigger mistake than Carlton recruiting Thomas, we are smarter than that.

Better to develop our own imo, if we are going to overpay for someone let it be for a proper position like an elite outside midfielder or a key forward. I'd be perfectly happy finding a spot for Gibbs in our 22 but not if we have to overpay which would be inevitable if we pursued him in FA.

A
If you could harden him up he would be a great player. Unfortunately he is a marshmellow.
Agree with this. He is beautifully skilled, but I don't think i've seen a bloke avoid physical contests like he does.

If you could harden him up he would be a great player. Unfortunately he is a marshmellow.
Agreed, but not worried. We will have Scharenberg in full flight in a year or two. Gibbs minus the pea-heart.

On Dangerfield though, did I miss something? Have not really kept up with Adelaide news, but why would he leave the Crows? He's already acting Captain and will probably be given the gig next year. I mean, teams would do their due dilligence but has he flagged intentions to leave? He's still contracted until the end of next year isn't he?

Be one hell of a grab if we could manage it though. Imagine bringing Danger in for Swannie's last season. Pendles, Beams, Danger, Swan, Thomas, Adams, Scharenberg, Sidebottom, Freeman, Broomhead, etc. Hahah. Try and beat that midfield depth.

I think Gibbs is underrated[/B], but I'll always choose the option of developing youth. We seem to have done very well with recruiting that type of player this year. Maybe it's because Bucks emphasises the importance on kicking skills. Who can blame him?

Totally agree. He's one of the few Carlton players with genuine skills and is unfairly derided in my view. He'd be a great addition to the 'pies, but not for the moolah (s**t, we just got outta payin' Daisy what he's asking).

Reckon he'd be a great pick-up for one of the expansion clubs

No hope on Danger: He's already committed to Anglesea FC for the next three years!!
Seriously folks....he's more than happy in Adelaide

I rate Gibbs disposal very highly.

I don't know what money he is after and where we are at with re-signing Beams - is his contract expiring at the end of this year - but if the money were manageable I'd definitely take a good hard look as a wing/back option. He's outside, no doubt, but that is good outside.

If we could have the likes of our tall defenders with Scharenberg, Gibbs, Young and Seedsman as rotating wingers/defenders and Toovey/Williams/Langdon as small/medium defender options, that's a great set-up.

Seedsman - Brown - Toovey
Gibbs - Keeffe - Scharenberg

Young

Link please

It was triple M the rush hour. Don't have a link my mate at work who is a magpie fan as well heard him on his radio show.

As I said its easy to say we are into him because you could say that about all the clubs. Would be gold if it was to happen.

What's remarkable with Gibbs is that he only recently turned 25 years old and he's played just under 160 games.
This being because he was picked up as a bottom ager and has barely missed a match since debut.

FB: Alex Fasolo, -Blank-, Marley Williams
HB: Bryce Gibbs, Blank, Paul Seedsman
C: Clinton Young, -Blank-, Heritier Lumumba
HF: Steele Sidebottom, -Blank-, -Blank-

Bench: Matthew Scharenberg.

Backline depth would not be an issue.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back