Family & Relationships Would you ever have a relationship..

Remove this Banner Ad

FreoGirl

Premium Platinum
Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, The Abbotsford Anglers
or maybe you already do - with someone who supports a different football team to you? :)

TickerTapeHawk

Draftee
Oct 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes. My husband is a Richmond supporter.

It's always bothered me a little. Of course there are the arguments over who our daughter will follow.

On Grand Final day it bothered me a lot. Mostly because we are living in Singapore, and on GF day his parents were visiting (also Richmond). At the siren I was was of course elated - but I had no one to share my joy with. FGS, no one even gave me a hug and said congratulation. Which I would have done if the Tigers had just won a GF. It was a wonderful moment but just a bit lonely.

So yes, in that circumstance I just think it would have been easier and nicer if my significant other shared my passion. Of course I blame myself for not going back to Melbourne and sharing GF day with my brother, who is my Hawthorn soulmate. But hindsight is 20/20.

No 2.gif

FreoGirl

Premium Platinum
Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I couldn't do it...even before the Dockers I wouldn't even date a guy who wasn't an East Freo supporter :)

YAZZ#13

Senior List
Feb 28, 2011
Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
My girlfriend is a Cats girl and it doesn't bother me at all. It actually works quite well on the weekends, she goes to the Cats games with her footy friends and I go to the Carlton games with my mates so it's nice to have some time apart after spending all week together.

That said, I have been out with a couple of Collingwood supporters in the past and it was a bit of an issue given my hatred for the black and white.

Commando

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man Utd, AC Milan, Wolfsburg,
My missus isn't really into it but her folks and brothers all mad Collingwood supporters

Yep 2011 was awesome!

As long as they don't support Essendon. Or St. Kilda. Or Carlton. Or Richmond. Or Collingwood.

Or West Coast. Or Freo. Or North. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's always bothered me a little. Of course there are the arguments over who our daughter will follow.

On Grand Final day it bothered me a lot. Mostly because we are living in Singapore, and on GF day his parents were visiting (also Richmond). At the siren I was was of course elated - but I had no one to share my joy with. FGS, no one even gave me a hug and said congratulation. Which I would have done if the Tigers had just won a GF. It was a wonderful moment but just a bit lonely.

So yes, in that circumstance I just think it would have been easier and nicer if my significant other shared my passion. Of course I blame myself for not going back to Melbourne and sharing GF day with my brother, who is my Hawthorn soulmate. But hindsight is 20/20.

He sounds perfect :hearts:

But seriously, I don't think I'd be able to be with someone that follows Collingwood, especially if they were actually passionate for AFL. I think this because my brother's ex goes for Collingwood, and I wanted to spit in her face whenever she spoke about that team. Ugh, stupid bitch

FreoGirl

Premium Platinum
Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

I think this is the best part about having a entire family supporting the same team - it's sharing the wins and the losses

Big Tom 2013

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
My ex-girlfriend was a hawks supporter. No problems at all. In fact, we had a bit of fun making bets on the outcomes of our games :thumbsu:

My girlfriend is a Cats girl and it doesn't bother me at all. It actually works quite well on the weekends, she goes to the Cats games with her footy friends and I go to the Carlton games with my mates so it's nice to have some time apart after spending all week together.

That said, I have been out with a couple of Collingwood supporters in the past and it was a bit of an issue given my hatred for the black and white.
This.

Same thing in my household. My partner is a Roos fan (as are the outlaws).

Biggest issue though; she is gradually turning my just turned 7 year old against me.

He is more a North fan than Geelong. I'm starting to have a problem with that. :eek::D

Methinks him and I will be attending more Cat games next year.

Password is Taco

Senior List
Jul 17, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I would have a problem if my partner wasn't into afl. My partner supports Carlton, which is a non issue, until we have kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back