Would you trade a Top 25 pick for Jack Watts?

Remove this Banner Ad

pooley

All Australian
Sep 26, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coburg Districts FC
I'm watching the Dees v Swan match and putting the microscope on Jack Watts. What I see as positives are good hands, small turning circle and a neat kicking style. What I don't see in a good footballer is the following: he doesn't take a contested mark; no line breaking speed, poor decision making. He just doesn't do anything special. I'm sure the Jack Watts discussion has been done to death but ............. jeez........ no. 1 pick and I don't see any reason why he may have been.

Over to you.

Early to mid second round pick? Sure.

He plays like a kid who had all the tools as a junior and didn't have to work hard to dominate games.

Won't run, won't go in hard. If he could lift his workrate about 200% he could have been the next Nick Riewoldt, but media hype, big money and zero accountability from the Melbourne hierarchy have let him be one of the laziest footballers out there. He makes Bryce Gibbs look like Robert Harvey.

I thought Roos would have lit a fair rocket under him by now.

Yes. Wouldn't trade a first rounder for him but in the vicinity of 20-25, for sure.
Has all the tools and has been in the wrong environment. Work ethic needs to lift but I'm sure it would if he got the kick up the arse and was moved on to a club with a harder edge - one Roos will hopefully instill at Melbourne, even if Watts is too far gone.

Yeah i guess it could be worth a risk.... such a slacker though.... would make him follow Sam Gibson around all day

Easily. Would trade a 2nd round pick for him.

He has all the tools, and has shown he can be a good, even a very good player, in the past. Needs to be in a new environment and have new players, coaches and personnel around him in order to help him reach his undoubted potential. Needs to have a good developmental coach cough McCartney :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly think on the trade table his value is 25-35.

I'd be happy to cut our losses at the end of the season. Who knows maybe somebody else could turn him around.

Honestly think on the trade table his value is 25-35.

I'd be happy to cut our losses at the end of the season. Who knows maybe somebody else could turn him around.
Watts for Howlett? :p

Starting to think there's no position in the game at the moment for a player as soft as Jack. I've had hope for him in the past but I've watched Melbourne's last two games and when the ball is there to be won he just doesn't give it his all. Wouldn't suit our current game style but there's so much talent there you would almost risk it for a second rounder. Took a great mark last night. I think the glimpses he shows are just false hopes though.

Lol not this again, Watts would easily command a pick between 10 and 20, I would be more then happy for Collingwood to give up our first rounder for him

We plan to. We've recruited Tony Armstrong & Q-s**t and now with Jac-Jac-Jacqui our VFL squad will be complete.

*Edit: We still do have to find a way to acquire Nic Nat, Brent Harvey and Cockchin to join the VFL list.

No doubt about it.

Watts has certainly been a disappointment at AFL level and he likely won't be anything more than a good ordinary footballer. Has the skill to be very good but doesn't appear to have the hunger to elevate his game to the next level. Also suffers from not having the size or the temperament to impose himself on a contest.

However for a 2nd round pick you'd certainly take the risk. I reckon most coaches at AFL level would back themselves and their club to turn a player like Watts around and help him get the best out of himself.

However for a 2nd round pick you'd certainly take the risk. I reckon most coaches at AFL level would back themselves and their club to turn a player like Watts around and help him get the best out of himself.

Gotta admit I was cheerleading for the Blues to take a crack at him in the off-season, but I'm worried that Roos can't seem to reverse Watts' apparent disinterest.

Still, it's not like we can select any sort of player with a late first/early second round pick. It'd be worth a gamble, but I'm a lot less bullish on his future now I've seen him play half a dozen games under Roos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back