Would you trade your club's captain for Tom Boyd?

Would you trade your club's captain for Tom Boyd?

• Total voters
Van Berlo for Boyd - maybe
Adcock for Boyd - maybe
Murphy for Boyd - no
Pendles for Boyd - NO
Watson for Boyd - no
Pavlich for Boyd - NO
Selwood for Boyd - NO
Ablett for Boyd - hahahahahah NO
Jones/Grimes for Boyd - NO/maybe
Swallow for Boyd - no
Boak for Boyd - NO
Cotchin for Boyd - NO
Riewoldt for Boyd - no
McVeigh/Jack for Boyd - no/no
Griffen for Boyd - YES (with current circumstances)

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not all captains are created equally. The following captains, in a vaccum, should be traded for Boyd imo:
- van berlo
- adcock
- murphy
- pavlich
- ward
- hodge
- jones
-watson
- swallow
- riewoldt
- mcveigh
- any of wc's captains

That's a pretty strong majority. The fact is though, GWS wouldn't entertain a swap for any of those players. To get Boyd would require a swap of someone like Pendlebury, Cotchin or Ablett which is never ever happening.

Sauras

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We have Adcock..Id trade for a 4th rounder in the upcomg draft

Not all captains are created equally. The following captains, in a vaccum, should be traded for Boyd imo:
- van berlo
- adcock
- murphy
- pavlich
- ward
- hodge
- jones
-watson
- swallow
- riewoldt
- mcveigh
- any of wc's captains

That's a pretty strong majority. The fact is though, GWS wouldn't entertain a swap for any of those players. To get Boyd would require a swap of someone like Pendlebury, Cotchin or Ablett which is never ever happening.
Watson is 3x BnF winner and Brownlow medalist. He is a far better player than Cotchin. No way would you trade him for a bloke who's played less than 10 games.

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Watson is 3x BnF winner and Brownlow medalist. He is a far better player than Cotchin. No way would you trade him for a bloke who's played less than 10 games.
Age difference considerations. Watson is 29 and has 1-2 seasons maximum of good footy left. Cotchin has three times that many. Its the same reason why Beams should be valued similarly or slightly better than Griffin eve though Griffin is a significantly better player

Age difference considerations. Watson is 29 and has 1-2 seasons maximum of good footy left. Cotchin has three times that many. Its the same reason why Beams should be valued similarly or slightly better than Griffin eve though Griffin is a significantly better player
So imagine Pendles was 30 instead of 26. Would you trade him for Boyd?

The thing you're missing is that the leadership qualities these players bring to the club are intangible. Which is why Griffen is valued higher than Beams, disregarding the ability of both players.

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
So imagine Pendles was 30 instead of 26. Would you trade him for Boyd?

The thing you're missing is that the leadership qualities these players bring to the club are intangible. Which is why Griffen is valued higher than Beams, disregarding the ability of both players.
Griffin's 'intangible' leadership qualities were extinguished the moment he requested a trade to GWS. He has no value as a leader to the Western Bulldogs, in fact its more likely that if he remains at the club this intangible value will be a negative number.

Griffin's 'intangible' leadership qualities were extinguished the moment he requested a trade to GWS. He has no value as a leader to the Western Bulldogs, in fact its more likely that if he remains at the club this intangible value will be a negative number.
Which is exactly why we don't want him. But in this hypothetical we're assuming that the captain doesn't actually want to go, and so would you still trade him?

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Which is exactly why we don't want him. But in this hypothetical we're assuming that the captain doesn't actually want to go, and so would you still trade him?
in a hypothetical I would, I think leadership value is grossly overrated. What stops this from ever happening is (a) GWS would never trade Boyd for a 28 year old (other than perhaps Ablett) and (b) it would cause a riot amongst supporters.

An 10 year goal kicking key position forward is the most valuable type of player in the game. There are very few available and are worth their weight in gold.

Phoenixguard09

Debutant
May 28, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Honestly, I wouldn't trade the skipper regardless of which club I supported. Not unless he'd done what Griffen did to the Dogs.

I disagree with leadership being overrated. I can't count how many times Boak has picked us up off the floor over the last two years. And this coming from someone who didn't rate Boak before he took the captaincy.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If he requested to go to that club then yeah.... otherwise willingly trading a captain is not on....

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
If they wanted to leave I'd let them. You want every person in the club to love the club. This is partly the reason we won the premiership because everyone is loyal and a team player.

I WOULD NOT TRADE THE CAPTAIN. unless they wanted to leave.

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
- van berlo
- adcock
- murphy
- pavlich
- ward
- hodge
- jones
-watson
- swallow
- riewoldt
- mcveigh
- any of wc's captains

Read the bold parts.

No way we would trade Hodge
. He is the heart and soul of the club and we are in a premiership window and Boyd's not in our best 22. He would be playing for Box Hill for most of the year.

Now read the whole thing

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
Any chance OP change the title to:

Would you trade your club's captain (who had requested a trade) for Tom Boyd?

kthnxbai
Exactly stop trying to stomp on another clubs situation to make your ones self feel better.The dogs never had that choice as the sook was leaving anyway.

ryan_seb

Team Captain
May 21, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Cavaliers, Seahawks
I would never ever trade my captain for Tom Boyd and we already have enough key forwards in our list.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
There is no way you would and given that youve give 1mill a year to a unproven kid the effects on the culture at the club will be damaged for years.

Back