Would you trade your club's captain for Tom Boyd?

Would you trade your club's captain for Tom Boyd?

• Total voters
Allow me to answer your question with another question.

What if your captain requested a trade to Tom Boyd's club?
It's a good question and I like you as a poster but if you had read just 5 more replies down you would have seen that it had been asked.

It certainly changes the dynamic of the question, but it wasn't what I asked, nor was it a dig at the Bulldogs.

It's a good question and I like you as a poster but if you had read just 5 more replies down you would have seen that it had been asked.

It certainly changes the dynamic of the question, but it wasn't what I asked, nor was it a dig at the Bulldogs.

I know, but just thought I'd make sure.

I wouldn't trade a captain of the club unless his position became untenable. The poll responses you can tick don't have that response, but it is mine.

No just doesn't sit well for a young list to have someone come in on far more money than the rest. Given he is unproven.

Thanks for that. I'll defer to the people who have a clue rather than the hypothesis of some no-name on the internet though

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thanks for that. I'll defer to the people who have a clue rather than the hypothesis of some no-name on the internet though

We will see but looked very much a knee jerk reaction from the WB after their captain jumped ship.

Throwing drug money at a untried 19 year old sounds and looks like knee jerk wouldnt you say?

It's taking a risk but it wasn't a kneejerk. We've been into Boyd for the past 12 months, had a scout at every game etc etc. Big money but we've done our research and set up our player payments to compensate, plus losing most of Griffen's salary and Cooney/Higgins.

As desperate as you are for this to fail i'd back Boyd and the club.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's taking a risk but it wasn't a kneejerk. We've been into Boyd for the past 12 months, had a scout at every game etc etc. Big money but we've done our research and set up our player payments to compensate, plus losing most of Griffen's salary and Cooney/Higgins.

As desperate as you are for this to fail i'd back Boyd and the club.

At any other club maybe but the WB record with developing key forwards is terrible. Also the salary is fine you will always have money but the effects and unrest on the list could be rather damaging.

At any other club maybe but the WB record with developing key forwards is terrible. Also the salary is fine you will always have money but the effects and unrest on the list could be rather damaging.

They could be, but only time will tell.

As for the development aspect, it's not like Boyd is some raw Jarrad Grant type prospect. At his side and with his talent there's not much development required

Trading a captain is sacrosanct. A couple exceptions:

Average, average players- would jump at the offer
-Van Berlo
-Adcock (seems to have regressed badly)

Club greats- trade these champs at the risk of club culture (even though their time is almost up)
-Pavlich
-Riewoldt
-Hodge
-Watson (including possible sanctions)
-Griffen (including back).. awkward

You wouldn't anyway- these players offer more even considering age:
GAJ
Boak
Selwood
Pendlebury
Ward
Cotchin

Marginal- all great players, however a combo of age/talent/"state of the list" is counting against them
Murphy
Jones
McVeigh
Insert WC player here

Not having a go. Im just saying you guys were at a pretty low point may as well throw cash at a young promising player if cooney griffen were gone

Think you may have missed a word in the post I quoted then - it read like you were saying they walked out as a result of our captain being traded

Inside mail is that Griffen was pushed.
What inside mail is that?

Is it different to the inside mail that said Griffen was approached by GWS and kept talking to them throughout the season, and then blindsided the club who called his bluff but then he left anyway?

Get off it.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
What inside mail is that?

Is it different to the inside mail that said Griffen was approached by GWS and kept talking to them throughout the season, and then blindsided the club who called his bluff but then he left anyway?

Get off it.

Griffen was asked by the club if he'd consider being traded in the hope the WB could get into the top four in the draft or better still land a key forward from GWS or GC.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
You have no inside mail. That is 100% fact backed up by anybody on this site who has had the misfortune of having to engage with you

Incorrect. I had the misfortune of having to read your post garbage about Liam Jones. Thank god the trade period settled who was better once and for all.

Back