Would you trade your club's captain for Tom Boyd?

Would you trade your club's captain for Tom Boyd?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope..he has showed more than enough in his first year in development at an AFL club to suggest he is going to be a very good power forward. He has all the tools.

Oh so he hasn't actually done anything he's just shown a bit.

Nope..he has showed more than enough in his first year in development at an AFL club to suggest he is going to be a very good power forward. He has all the tools.

Couple of Saints fans not to pleased we got him to be honest and like GWS fans are already calling him out to be a spud despite missing 4 months of football in his draft year and also being way to heavy to have a big impact this year at senior footy. As a dogs fan we are more than happy that we have the possibility of using Boyd, Stringer and Bontempelli (all of whom are well over 190cm) as tall marking options. Think as a list we are in a similar position to the Hawks before premiership tilt (obviously not as good) in terms of how we structure up as we have some very good potential in the midfield and potential in our forward line. Need to add to our running stocks (like a I.Smith, B.Hill type) as well as trading in a couple of tall defenders like the Hawks have. Then hopefully we can push hard up the ladder again.

Short answer: No

Long answer: Hell no
Serious question, coming from an outsiders point of view, would you trade Grimes for Boyd? Obviously you wouldn't trade Jones, but Grimes I've never seen as a real big leader of the club. I could be wrong though.

Serious question, coming from an outsiders point of view, would you trade Grimes for Boyd? Obviously you wouldn't trade Jones, but Grimes I've never seen as a real big leader of the club. I could be wrong though.

Boyd will end up being a better player than Grimes, I've got no doubt about that.

But we're coming out of a period where we have had an absolutely terrible culture. We crave stability more than anything (apart from talent), so trading our Captain for a potentially good forward is just not an option. Especially with what happened to Junior. So for my club it would be a really bad move.
The fact that I don't think he should be our captain is a different story entirely.

But the doggies situation was completely different though. Your captain wanted to go, so getting the best deal possible was the only option for the club. I thought they handled it pretty well actually, they turned an absolutely s**t thing into something pretty positive.

The OP question is a bit mischievous, life is never that simple.

The negative impact on culture would outweigh the advantages unless you have a seriously average captain.

I definitely would not be willing to trade Watson. Not only is he a brownlow medalist in his own right but he's been captain for years and lead us through some very hard times and he is the son of another captain of Essendon. The Watson name has a very strong history at Essendon and no way is it worth tarnishing that. That's not even considering the impact it would have on field. Watson isn't young but he could still have 3-4 good years left in him potentially - depending on how adaptable he is. Personally i hope to see the day we have another young Watson at the club.

I guess i could kind of understand it if your captain was Van Berlo or Maxwell or someone of that ilk but even then the benefits are at best questionable. This is of course assuming that Tom Boyd will end up becoming a gun forward - if he only ends up average then the idea becomes even more laughable.

Sorry...did you expect a power key forward to be kicking 40 goals a season in his first year ? Like I said they have there KP forward in place you don't.
Don't be mad.

Got a very promising young key forward in White and a couple that look like they may be more than capable in Bruce and Lee.+

Back