1. SPT brings you the latest in amateur sports tracking device. Check your speed, distance and heart rate through games.

Use the coupon code “BIGFOOTY” for a $15.00 discount - while stock lasts

2. Congratulations to referee and wpotter for tipping 8/9 and 11 points off the tie-breaker margin. FREE Platinum BFSC for you!

Get your tips in!

Would you watch a televised national womens league

Discussion in 'Women's Footy' started by jatz14, Feb 7, 2012.

Put it out there
  1. jatz14

jatz14 Team Captain

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Perth Glory W-League
    If you wouldnt, would improved skills or intensity change your mind, or would you not stoop to watching women play regardless of game quality.

What would people want in a womens competition? (lets just take it as read that there are lots of replies re skimpy clothes, and if that was to be your response, dont bother)
    Thurlow2Mackie likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. ilovemeatpies

ilovemeatpies Senior List

Sydney
    Other teams:
    I would watch it but people expecting AFL standard skills would be disappointed when you currently look at the video of the Women's Nationals. However I can only see the ABC televising it under their charter of promoting minority sports, I can't see it currently being a viable commercial proposition on network television. A niche broadcaster on Foxtel or one of the Foxsports is more likely too.
  3. jatz14

jatz14 Team Captain

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Perth Glory W-League
    No, womens football will be a long way behind for a while. A major problem seems to be lack of depth, the best are quite good, but are on the field with some who are a far way short. That can only be fixed with time, and player retention.

A bit like watching an AFL game where half the players come out of the lower amateur leagues.

That doesnt mean that the games would not be entertaining to watch.

However some people judge womens sport by comparing it to the elite male players rather than on its own merits. I have always enjoyed watching the womens W league soccer more than the mens A league, despite the mens league being of a higher standard
  4. Lets Roar like '44

Lets Roar like '44 Team Captain

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Vancouver Canucks
    No thanks, would probably rank as the most least exciting televised event in the history of television.
  5. Rob

Rob Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Peel Thunder
    Another benefit of aligning teams with AFL clubs is it gives them an instant supporter base.

My immediate reaction to the question would be no, assuming it's just going to be scrappy footy. But if Freo had a team I might, especially if they were any good.
  6. Grimmett

Grimmett Team Captain

Other teams:
    Yes. I'll watch footy of any standard from little tackers to AFL any time it's available to me.
  7. The Speaker

The Speaker Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Fremantle, Warriors, Australia
    Depends how high the quality of the game is. As long as it isn't a scrap-fest, I'd probably tune in.
  8. WestCoaster87

WestCoaster87 Team Captain

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Swan Districts
    The 2 lower leagues are not very skillful and are scrappy but the premier league is a bit different...
  9. Wolftone

Wolftone Senior List

Sydney
    Other teams:
    I would watch it if it was on a national basis. I would go to games to watch any footy but on tele it needs to be of a higher standard than some of the games of district footy I have seen. The Women's League's basically average out at about district footy level. Some of the district Men's leagues are streets ahead especially in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. If there was a National Competition taking in only the best players and coached by AFL Approved coaches then I think that changes things. The standard would improve over night and there would be a lot more women wanting to play Women's AFL. I would definitely look at that on tele
  10. Maroon Goon

Maroon Goon Account Cancelled by User

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    What this person says;)
  11. bradrowe#32

bradrowe#32 Club Legend

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Rochester FC, Waroona FC, Pacers
    Probably. Any port in a storm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Zoomas

Zoomas Draftee

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Nothing against the coaches of women's teams, they play an important part in women's Footy and there are some good ones out there. However, there is also a lack of quality coaches in female Footy. Should there be a separate short course around coaching females? essentially the skills part of coaching are the same, however I would think that the management of females would differ to that of males.
  13. morri

morri Rookie

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Western Cape, Springboks, Proteas .
    I wonder what the difference is- between women's tennis that is watched as good as men's tennis and many other sports where women's variety even if the standard is the same or better just isnt watched as much. Has it still to do with preconceptions that many sports are considered 'men sports' and therefore think it is silly for women to play it? Are people expecting to see the same physicality even of the bad site(fouls and other unsporty behaviour)in a women's game as in a men's s game? Or do they just want to watch a good and cleanly played game?
  14. Oneiros

Oneiros All Australian

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Cleveland Browns, San Jose Sharks
    I wouldn't mind watching - have watched some things like the US-Canadian women's finals and found that entertaining and would like to think we can get things to a higher standard than that. It's one of those tricky things - the economy around the men's national leagues was born of years of reinforcing cycles, money feeds standards, feeds revenue streams, etc. Trying to start from scratch and make significant progress quickly is obviously going to be difficult. However, the top tier is necessary to provide an end point, in particular a financially rewarding end point. The problem is partly that AFL squads are so large that to make this professional would require, averaging $45,000 as a minimum liveable salary for an adult, for a squad of 30, requires $1.35 million per team.

Would love to see women's football (and women's sport in general) make some serious strides in Australia in my life time.
  15. Woodson

Woodson AE commish

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Expect the LFL to take off Down Under in late stages of 2013.
    Standard of the All Star game was impressive. I'm talking 'athletically'. Have been
    watching / passionately following American Football since the mid-80's so to
    me it's not a novelty interest esp having officiated American Football on the local
    scene in Melbourne for several years.

Sorry if some find LFL abit confronting but the bottom line is this hybrid American Football brand is not only
    getting ready to make itself a worldwide known with Australian state teams already established and training.
    It's already taken off in the USA with more expansion teams in other US locations but this season Canada has it's inaugural season, the LFL is looking at the Asian market along with Europe and UK to follow.

Players on the US circuit are 'professional' already.

Great full house capacity turn out in both Brisbane & Sydney a couple weeks ago FYI.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/lingerie-football-league.579941/page-3#post-23883450
  16. The Speaker

The Speaker Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Fremantle, Warriors, Australia
    It's little wonder women's sport often stuggles when it has this lowest-common-denominator "sport" to compete with.
  17. Woodson

Woodson AE commish

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Meaning?? Please explain.

As for American Football exposure Down Under, the commercial channel 'ONE' along with cable have allowed further exposure
    in recent years better than the allotment of the one hour weekly highlight package from the ABC which the late Don Lane hosted in the late '80's and much of the '90's. Enough time for broad minded Australians to expand their knowledge like Chloe Butler and Liz Gorman have, amongst a steady growing number of intrigued males who find a game of strategy and superior athleticism played by various body sizes.
  18. EssendonNick

EssendonNick Team Captain

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Leeds United AFC. Melb Victory FC.
    I'd watch it if there was nothing better on. Would need to have a special timeslot though.
    If there was AFL on 7 or VFL on ABC, I'd much rather watch that.
  19. Hodge is God

Hodge is God Club Legend

Hawthorn Hawthorn - 2013 Premiers
    Other teams:
    Aussie Cricket Team, Brisbane Heat
  20. Oneiros

Oneiros All Australian

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Noticed during the Women's Volleyball, Japan v China, one of the Chinese players was 190cm and 90kg. Hello ready-made Key Position Players.
  21. ag6858

ag6858 Team Captain

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Roosters, Sydney FC, Aus cricket
    Wonder how Lauren Jackson would go in Womens football. She has the build, she only needs the skills.
  22. Oneiros

Oneiros All Australian

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Put the spike-happy volleyballer in as KPD and the basketballer who can catch and is nimble with her hands as KPF and keep her around the goal square and you have a nice start.

They would be a contest worth watching.
  23. AM

AM Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Scottish Futsal League
    Is it being blatantly sexist to say 'yes' if Megan Gale, Jennifer Hawkins and Miranda Kerr togged up?:rolleyes:
    Scully2GWS UMAD likes this.
  24. Little Creekers

Little Creekers Draftee

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Of course, it needs all the support it can get to evolve.
  25. Cursed_Cat

Cursed_Cat Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    hell yes I would; finally got around to watching some highlights on Youtube recently and it was pretty awesome; would love to have the chance to watch it on the box on a sunday arvo !