FF: Platten - Dunstall - Jarman
HF: Brereton - P. Dear - Buckenara
Ce: Greene - Wallace - Pritchard
HB: Kennedy - Mew - O'Hallaran
FB: Collins - Langford - Moore

Ru: G. Dear
RR: Tuck
Ro: Matthews
How you could not put Collins - Langford - Ayres as your full back line is beyond me....

Tucky - epitomises the Hawks grit, in the trenches stuff (an early model of the modern L.Hodge)

I would have thought that a closer match for "an early model of the modern L.Hodge" would be G Ayres.

Both around the same height, body shape, tough as nails, could not only play forward, back or midfield but dominate in those positions. Used by their coaches to plug holes, played through severe injuries, (not even going to mention the 2 NS medals each).
The one difference I see now is that Gary Ayres was the silent assassin of his time. Dermie and Dipper had other teams looking over thier shoulders but Ayres got the same results without the publicity. Game style today doesn't really allow Hodge to play like that.

Just my thoughts!

Darren Jarman didn't need to run, he just waltzed through such was his ability to weave and always have time. The most brilliant kick of the football ever. Jarman to Dunstall was amazing. Jarman's efficiency by foot would be unheard of. Suckling who? Oh and jarman could mark.

Easily a walk in, in any team in any era. One of the all times greats and not given enough credit... Jarman was gold!

KOLOKOTRONIS

Darren Jarman didn't need to run, he just waltzed through such was his ability to weave and always have time. The most brilliant kick of the football ever. Jarman to Dunstall was amazing. Jarman's efficiency by foot would be unheard of. Suckling who? Oh and jarman could mark.

Easily a walk in, in any team in any era. One of the all times greats and not given enough credit... Jarman was gold!

KOLOKOTRONIS

Geez that boy could kick ... Arguably the best kick I have ever seen!

I'll pick some i didn't get to see and some i didn't get to see enough of so:

Peter Hudson
Peter Knights
Dermie (you can never see enough of the Derm)
Leigh Mathews
Dipper

If Dunstall was playing today, he would be going head to head with Breust for a spot in the team.

Accurate kick, great hands, judgment, stocky frame, quick off the first 15 metres, he would be a superstar key forward. Similar to Gunston, but better.

I watched a few old games as well over the Holidays as well and what struck me is that those great 80's sides did a lot of the little things well. A lot like our side today. That is, clever knock/tap ons blocks etc. Of course they were talented as well.

I think a lot of the 80's boys could have stood up today with the same training opportunities, facilities and time.

I must be misunderstanding the specifications if Dunstall is being left out. Widely regarded as the second best player in the history of our club and one of the best dozen or so to have played the game and he is obsolete? Don Bradman hit as many sixes in his test career as Warner sometimes does in a match. I guess he wouldn't be getting a game in the current Auusie side either. Get real. Champion players are champion players in any era. Dunstall was that good a player our club would have had Andrew Russell on special assignment readying him for modern footy. If Hawkins can be a dominant modern player what the hell could Dunstall be?

I must be misunderstanding the specifications if Dunstall is being left out. Widely regarded as the second best player in the history of our club and one of the best dozen or so to have played the game and he is obsolete? Don Bradman hit as many sixes in his test career as Warner sometimes does in a match. I guess he wouldn't be getting a game in the current Auusie side either. Get real. Champion players are champion players in any era. Dunstall was that good a player our club would have had Andrew Russell on special assignment readying him for modern footy. If Hawkins can be a dominant modern player what the hell could Dunstall be?

Of the players I have seen, I wouldn't put Dunstall in the top 2.
I have:
1. Leigh Matthews
2. Peter Knights
3. Dermie
4. Michael Tuck
5. Peter Hudson

Then Dunstall, Ayres, Langford, Moore, Mew, etc,

Hodge, Mitchell & Burgoyne of the current players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of the players I have seen, I wouldn't put Dunstall in the top 2.
I have:
1. Leigh Matthews
2. Peter Knights
3. Dermie
4. Michael Tuck
5. Peter Hudson

Then Dunstall, Ayres, Langford, Moore, Mew, etc,

Hodge, Mitchell & Burgoyne of the current players.
All great players indeed but none apart from Leigh have as impressive a resume as Dunstall. Hudson would be closest but his much shorter career relegates him to third. Dunstall is often criminally underrated but not usually by Hawthorn fans. I usually tell people to look up his playing record, one of the best of all time.

All great players indeed but none apart from Leigh have as impressive a resume as Dunstall. Hudson would be closest but his much shorter career relegates him to third. Dunstall is often criminally underrated but not usually by Hawthorn fans. I usually tell people to look up his playing record, one of the best of all time.

We are talking about the greatest players of all time here, so there's no correct answer. It's just my choice, it's no insult that Jason's in the next bracket.

Jason does have a great resume, and all those records, but I'd put Huddo a fraction ahead of him.

As for my top 5, I saw all of their careers and am happy to put them up there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back