Votes: 10 12.7%

Votes: 12 15.2%

Votes: 14 17.7%

Votes: 20 25.3%

Votes: 8 10.1%

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dave Meltzer has been way too generous in recent years. Compare his star results in the pg era to years gone by it doesn't add up. For example my favourite women's match Mickie James vs trish stratus at 22 he gave 2 stars and the Vickie invitational at wrestlemania 30 which was completely forgettable got 1 and 1/4 stars. Even snooki's match at 27 got 1 3/4 stars.

Last year he gave that awful Cena Wyatt match 3 1/2 stars, which is the same rating as shawn michaels vs ric flair at 24. Nobody could ever convince me those matches are on the same level

Apparently Meltzer was at the show in person which obviously means he'd view it more favourably than your average watcher.

I get the feeling you shouldn't be watching wrestling to begin with.

itstillrealtomedammit.jpg

Dave Meltzer has been way too generous in recent years. Compare his star results in the pg era to years gone by it doesn't add up. For example my favourite women's match Mickie James vs trish stratus at 22 he gave 2 stars and the Vickie invitational at wrestlemania 30 which was completely forgettable got 1 and 1/4 stars. Even snooki's match at 27 got 1 3/4 stars.

Last year he gave that awful Cena Wyatt match 3 1/2 stars, which is the same rating as shawn michaels vs ric flair at 24. Nobody could ever convince me those matches are on the same level

Then don't read his ratings, and like whatever you like instead. it's not that hard! You rate matches based on what you feel at the time. The people who are giving the ratings aren't going to go back and re-rate every match since the dawn of time to compare how the match feels against its contemporaries.

Apparently Meltzer was at the show in person which obviously means he'd view it more favourably than your average watcher.

he was in the press box though, somewhat shielded from the crowd reaction

the below is from the newsletter
"After a long string of lackluster programming, WWE had a huge week with a great NXT live event, a WrestleMania show that was excellent live and, while not quite as good, was still a strong show watching on television. Live I thought it was one of the better live wrestling shows I’d been to. Rewatching, it was a very good show, with no bad matches, several excellent matches and a great angle involving The Rock & Rousey vs. HHH & Stephanie McMahon, that should in some form lead to a main event match next year at WrestleMania at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX. But it was not the best WrestleMania of all-time."

and

"Live I thought as an overall show it may have been comparable to the Tokyo Dome show, not for match quality but factoring in presentation. After watching the TV, I don’t see it. It wasn’t as if it was two different shows, but live you get impressed with spectacle and watching on TV the spectacle is part of the show but it comes down more to matches. They were very good, but not in the league of the Tokyo Dome show. It was one of the more balanced WrestleManias in history because there was not a bad match. But it also didn’t have anything close to a match of the year or a candidate for best Mania match."

Last edited:
Saying it was the best WWE show he's ever seen is, quite frankly, stupid. WM XXX last year was far better. SummerSlam 2013, MitB 2011 etc. And then you bring in creative and booking? Not even close to the best WWE show. The Rock segment went on for way too long, as opposed to the Rock segment last year which, while it might have been even longer than this year, was far better.

Honestly, I'd rank the Divas match as a pretty good match. I'd put it above Sting/HHH, which was s**t.

Very very strange opinion.

He's gone back somewhat on those initial thoughts now. Said it felt better live and things didn't hold up on a second viewing. The Sting/Triple H match, which he initially lauded, he ended up shitting on quite a bit.

According to Meltzer, Rollins was told during the Rock/Rousey segment that he'd be winning the title. Seth was brought into a room with Vince, Heyman, Reigns, Lesnar and Hayes, and was told the finish.

There was quite a few pissed off Samoans as a result of such a tight-lipped change.

Last edited:
yeah well another mania gone
spent more time on the ff button i think

triple h in his terminator suit lol
sting did about 4 moves
which isnt bad seeimg as 20 years ago he only did about 15
but he was always about the awe when he went the crow gimmick
expected lesner to win
not that authority peanut
ladder match, mehh
ended up getting more enjoyment listening to a few stone cold podcasts (amy dumas and flair) later on in the night

Just watched Wrestlemania & Raw back to back today.(Good Friday - perfect day for it)

Avoided this thread, the Raw thread and refrained from visiting wrestling sites all week!

Safe to say, I loved it. Been watching WWE since 98 and this PPV was never fast forwarded...well the music parts where, as was some of RAW.

Enjoyed it thoroughly. Good action and marked out when the ROck came out, had no idea that was happening. :)

Did laugh at HHH in that get up though haha

i rewatched the main event today. it really is a ******* great match. everything about it is just about perfect. i completely disagree with meltzer (not uncommon with his modern match ratings) that the show didnt have motyc, and i think this is right up there in terms of mania main events.

i rewatched the main event today. it really is a ******* great match. everything about it is just about perfect. i completely disagree with meltzer (not uncommon with his modern match ratings) that the show didnt have motyc, and i think this is right up there in terms of mania main events.

It was great for the fact they were both so stiff. The shots really looked like they hurt and Lesnar is a beast. The only thing I didn't like was Reigns smirking/smiling - I thought he should've been selling the shots a bit more.

I don't know why the fans continue to boo him for thoug, the main issue was that he was getting pushed to the moon to win the title at WM before his time. That didn't happen and he helped put on a hell of a match so why continue to hate him?

Finally got to sit down and watch it woth my mates.

Proves once and for all what a self serving s**t stain HHH is. But we And CM Punk already knew that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said it in the WM thread and I'll say it again. This was not HHH's doing (The hate from him on this board is ridiculous). This was Vince wanting to get another "win" against WCW.

Rubbish it's not HHH's doing.

CM Punk has said as much thats he inserts himself into s**t like this all the time so he comes out the man.

By the time HHH and his cringe worthy entrance were over Sting had been standing around looking like a 1980's jobber for way too long.

The people wanted to see Sting, HHH made sure it was about him.

The only thing I didn't like was Reigns smirking/smiling - I thought he should've been selling the shots a bit more.
That was the point. It was to try and put Roman over as a beast too. Looking like Brock wasn't doing any damage to him and he just laughing it off.

But we already knew Roman wasn't a beast from when he had a snooze while everyone else won the Royal Rumble for him & the way he has been carried & had his hand held through his past few months at the top of the card.
We're supposed to forget about that because of a few smiles, smirks & no sells? Just insinuated the silver platter perception more imo. Don't get me wrong, loved the match but didn't like that part of it either. Should of just copped the rough stuff & sold it but fought through it without the smug bs.

That was the point. It was to try and put Roman over as a beast too. Looking like Brock wasn't doing any damage to him and he just laughing it off.
Cena does the exact same thing and people crack the shits. Go figure.

I liked it. The smiling / laughing was reigns taking the shots from Brock and enjoying having his ass kicked, coming back for more. I don't think it deterred from anything that happened during the match and was a nice little boost for reigns character

Cena does the exact same thing and people crack the shits. Go figure.
Cena isn't doing it to be a beast though, that guy just doesn't sell anything.

Yeah fair enough, it just didn't sit well with me though. Maybe after the first couple of suplexes but not after number 8.

I usually like the whole smiling-through-a-beatdown thing, but in Romans case it just felt really forced and contrived.
Not that surprised. I reckon that if Roman was gonna no-sell, he'd do so the way Brock would. No nonsense, no curling of the lips except downwards, maybe with a death glare.

Back