WRFL Division 2 - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

All at tarniet except for the grany
Well the fences are up as Tarneit hosted the junior finals. The ground is in good nick but the clubrooms are to small. The league must be smarter and maybe try and get the Hoppers ground or even Yarravilles ground......by the way what is stopping the league acquiring the Western oval

That's just perfect, lets look after the 3rd division teams before division 2
The way all this sounds division 1 are probably playing there finals in a spare block of land in point cook
Wrfl have no idea
Yeah I heard that this was going to be the case on the weekend and thought someone was pulling my leg. It's a long trip up the freeway to watch a game if your team isn't involved will be interesting to see the turnouts...
I have never seen tarniets ground or their rooms for that matter but I would assume being a new club in a developing area the facilities & ground would be pretty good.

Interesting weekend results I saw the north foots v lakers game and the devils were very disappointing thought it was a very winnable game for them. Devils were not at full strength though no one ever is at this time of year but take nothing away from an impressive lakers side who look to be improving. Devils ball use was poor and lakers mids who had more polish on the day made them pay. SBC had good delivery and caused havoc up fwd for the lakers and was clearly bog (bagged his 100th great pickup for the lakers), Hayes played well and Ryan had the better of the devils on ballers. For the devils Kater played well on a wing and manuell tried hard down back but they had little other help from a pretty dismal devils side. For the devils orden next week so it doesn't get any easier and haven't got a top 4 scalp yet....

Glenorden get their season back on track in a preview of the elim final in a fortnight should be a good game
Falcons ended storms charge home on the back of Oshea kicking his ton great season! (Also wrap up 2nd spot)
Parkside belt sunny heights as expected and consolidate top spot

One more round before the serious stuff starts and to the teams not taking part stay safe on your mad Mondays!

Last edited:
Parkside open to the idea of promotion this time around - http://bit.ly/VeXKpR

They capable of competing strongly in Division 1 next year?

The issue of "will they or wont they" go up has been around for 10 plus years. The reason for this is that the gap is so big that almost all clubs that do go up fail and end up in a worse position down the track. There are many reasons for this but the main reasons are information and planning. Clubs in Division 2 probably only know 50% of what they need to know about taking that step up and planning for the move generally starts after the season that they win the flag (or possibly in the middle of that year).

Although this could be seen (and is in part) a failure of the clubs in question some of the responsibility of the inability to bridge the gap sits fairly and squarely with the WRFL. The issue has been around for so long and they have not been proactive in any way at all to assist in the transition. The question really needs to be asked “what are they doing to fix this issue”?

Right now the answer to that question would be “nothing”. They are probably just asking the question like all of us here “ I wonder if Club A will go up if they win it”?

What they should be doing is engaging with the top 4 – 6 clubs in June and looking at each club to see if they are actually in a position to make the step up. For those that are not actually in a position to step up they should be assisting them getting there. Then at the end of the year the decision of a club going up or staying down could be an “joint and informed” decision by the WRFL and the club together.

As far as Making the step up to div 1 goes everyone at the club has to be committed to making the step up & financially the club has to be able to get decent top tier players or a minimum get the best talent running round in second division. I think the key is when a club goes up you have to be competitive it's not simply about surviving its about selling the club as a decent div 1 club altona have done that with some success and built each year have dropped off but are still competitive and plenty of talent. From personal experience Yarraville we're never able to do it and it has hurt them as with north Footscray who where never really competitive & prob shouldn't have gone up when they won it. They lost their best player that year who didn't want to play a grade (now back at the club) and they weren't fully committed to the step up as they didn't have the finance to back it. I think parkiside at the moment could manage it they look to be planning for next year already which is a positive they have players that will be hungry to play top division which is good, they won't push finals (next year) but it's just about being able to compete and beating the bottom 3-4 teams and building on a solid season. I don't know about the other 3 clubs but from the outside think falcons could do it if they really wanted. WF don't look to be interested in it as I don't think many would stay on for it and glenorden aren't quite ready yet.

Last round of the regular season & the ladder looks to be set for season 2014. Opportunity for top sides to rest players as they look towards finals next week. For the bottom 4 opportunity to go out on a high hopefully devils can take something out of 2014 and knock off a finals contender in the hawks.
Tips
Parkside will be challenged but too good by 4 goals against an in form storm team (pies may rest key players)
Devils by less than a kick to upset the up & down hawks & go out on a high
Falcons by 5 goals too much class for an improving lakers outfit (Oshea v SBC for the goal kicking)
West to belt heights by 12 goals going into finals full of confidence (yze to kick ton again huge effort & great get!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Evo we all know you read this stuff, what happened mate? Get a few weeks for using that mouth of yours?
Couldn't happen to a better bloke
Evo we all know you read this stuff, what happened mate? Get a few weeks for using that mouth of yours?
Couldn't happen to a better bloke

Your kidding Calder_daddy, evo shooting his fat mouth off again no way, what has the great one so he thinks himself done now?

They would need to win it first before they start talking div 1 football like they have for the last 6 years

Javo, agreed. Any talk of promotion should be quashed. Finals footy is upon us. And Parkside still have a lot of work to do!
They trounced the storm in the second half of the weekends game. Good tune up for Wyndhamvale this week, In what will be a cracking qualifying final. Both teams set to come out hard to earn the week off!
Wyndhamvale made no effort to disguise one of their own video tapping the game at Henry Turner! Good luck to them!

Surely the league could have found a better venue to display the two best teams in division 2 the risen synthetic pitch in the middle of tarneit is a lawsuit waiting to happen!!!

What's everyone's thoughts this week?

Parkside to beat Wyndhamvale by 5 goals
West Footscray to knock off glenorden by 3 goals

long time reader.
Would love to hear from everyone on who they think will win the flag and why?

Who they think will be dominant players in the finals who can get there teams across the line??

Anyone got any inside information about anything? Players out or in???

I'll go first!
Firstly I think parkside are too strong. Fixed a few areas from last years defeat
( got some running midfield and have a much more mobile foward line with heaps on foward pressure)
They lacked that last year.

For the dominant players I'll name a few
Parkside - muratore he is parkside barometer if he is playing well the boys usually lift with him. Also darcy number 2 could be a real x-factor with playing a s**t down roll on a key foward O'shea, yze or zangari I believe.

Vales- Fonua physically strong in the centre clearances and around stoppages.. Can break open a pack and could get first use if reschke get his hand on the ball in the ruck.
And obviously o'shea could be unstoppable with quick slick ball movement of vales midfield.

West- too be honest don't like the look of them.
Yze is too inconsistent against top side and if his defender gets ontop early he usually goes to water. Doesn't chase.

I'll go with bray - big body same as Fonua but he has much better skills and has more game sense. Reads the play well but again very lazy.

Orden - looks like steinbrink or however you spell it has been put up foward with 10goals in the last 3 weeks with zangari not doing much. Looks like for glen orden to win it needs to be high scoring because it looks like they can't stop sides from scoring 80+ a game.

Like the young kids they have also which there are plenty but can they stand up in finals it's wait and see
McDonald crea ??

long time reader.
Would love to hear from everyone on who they think will win the flag and why?

Who they think will be dominant players in the finals who can get there teams across the line??

Anyone got any inside information about anything? Players out or in???

I'll go first!
Firstly I think parkside are too strong. Fixed a few areas from last years defeat
( got some running midfield and have a much more mobile foward line with heaps on foward pressure)
They lacked that last year.

For the dominant players I'll name a few
Parkside - muratore he is parkside barometer if he is playing well the boys usually lift with him. Also darcy number 2 could be a real x-factor with playing a s**t down roll on a key foward O'shea, yze or zangari I believe.

Vales- Fonua physically strong in the centre clearances and around stoppages.. Can break open a pack and could get first use if reschke get his hand on the ball in the ruck.
And obviously o'shea could be unstoppable with quick slick ball movement of vales midfield.

West- too be honest don't like the look of them.
Yze is too inconsistent against top side and if his defender gets ontop early he usually goes to water. Doesn't chase.

I'll go with bray - big body same as Fonua but he has much better skills and has more game sense. Reads the play well but again very lazy.

Orden - looks like steinbrink or however you spell it has been put up foward with 10goals in the last 3 weeks with zangari not doing much. Looks like for glen orden to win it needs to be high scoring because it looks like they can't stop sides from scoring 80+ a game.

Like the young kids they have also which there are plenty but can they stand up in finals it's wait and see
McDonald crea ??

Great post nacho.
I tend to agree and disagree with some of your points. I'll have a crack..

I agree I think Parkside have shown all year, they are the best outfit. And will go all the way to find that elusive premiership! For me it's their back 6 McHutchison is a brick wall. Best defensive team in the comp by a mile.

Parkside- Brent Kelly is their X factor, had a fantastic season. Compliments a very potent forward line of Grigg, khartibil and Stevens. Throw in their arguably most dangerous forwards/mids Buttigeg and Licciardo.. Who have both kicked around 35 each for the year.. How do you stop them scoring?

Wyndhamvale- cannot go past Oshea very dominant forward, capable of changing a game! Classy on ballers graham and Ellis are the keys though! They supply the majority of forwards. Big contender will likely play off in the big dance if they get it right.

West Footscray.- shouldn't be underestimated, have a good mix of experienced big bodied players like bray and Kennedy, to compliment speaksman, trowsdale and other game changers. However the key for them to go deep is still yze or bucktin will rely heavily on them to kick a winning score.

Glenorden- with a full compliment of players back they'll be a force! Crea is good player. Quick and gets plenty of it! Will need zangari back to his very best! May be carrying an injury? Definately have the ability, having been then only team thus year to beat Parkside.. Big watch.

What are others thoughts?

Congrats on all teams participating in finals hopefully a great 3 weeks of footy to come.

My thoughts:
Parkside deservedly go in as favourites had their colours lowered only once this year well coached & talented team that cover the park extremely well. Good players across the ball and plenty of options up forward (Kelly, Stevens & khartibil) all hard players to shut down. Kelly has had a terrific year and been a big part of their success. In the middle Muratore is a talented player and as good as anyone running around at the minute along with Buttigig who has been a fantastic pickup. Down back barbuto is a gun and Vincent usually holds the number 1 fwd pretty well.

Wyndhamvale keep getting better season after season and developing a real winning culture. Dennerley is a fantastic coach & they have a good bunch down their ATM. Will have a point to prove this weekend against a team that beat them pretty convincingly. Up forward Oshea grabs everything & is great to watch capable of kicking bags against anyone. Their mids are handy enough graham has plenty of polish and is a classy player.

West Footscray many writing them off have many quality players and will be quietly confident down there. They had a great deal of new faces this year and did plenty of recruiting in the off season. Boast arguably the most potent forward line Yze looks back to his best & has had another outstanding year, lane & bucktin are good players also. In the middle bray is a quality player gets plenty inside & gets them going, Kennedy provides them with first crack most of the time.

Glenorden last years premiers many writ them off before rd 1 but credit to them played out of their skins for the first 10 weeks notably knocking off parkside certainly have the talent to go deep but have been inconsistent of late. Have plenty of firepower up forward with Zangari when he is on & macdonald can light a game up especially down fwd. Stornbrook swings fwd to back & is a good player, Crea pacey on baller looks a handy player as well

My tips
Parkside are flying and think they will get up by three goals against a hungry falcons
Could mount a case for either team but think wests in a thriller 2 points on the back of an yze bag

Season 2014 reflection on the teams that missed

Manor Lakes: slow start they will be disappointed to miss many had them in their top 4 including me really got going in the back half though and showed why they will be a team to beat in 2015. They have good kids (smith wick, plant etc..) and a forward they can build a team around in priest.

Caroline Springs: one of the big improvers in 2014 managed to recruit some great players in the offseason which surprised a few as well as bringing through some handy kids. Buttigieg-Clarke has been a great get along with some very handy mids in Ryan & Caterino, Richards also down back the lakers aren't to far away.

Nth Footscray: coming down was not going to be an easy task for the devils they played some good footy but couldn't quite get it right consistently in 2014 however injuries played a big part. Cavka has been a good get & gives them a great target down fwd. Think their mids have had good seasons in Kater & Murphy but don't get a lot of support & not a great deal of depth.

Sunshine Heights: long season for the dragons managed to avoid dropping down which they would take as a positive for next year. Nicoledies played well throughout & Stevens gives them a real target down forward. Have some work to do in the offseason if they are to stay up.

Checkout out Tarneits ground the other day...
Very windy & the club rooms being the size of public toilets!
Shocking choice for finals...
I've been to a couple games down there and there has been next to zero wind there during the day. Also the changerooms were massive from what I saw, maybe they have sub divided them for junior finals where they played 4 teams at once im guessing? Wouldn't think that would be the same for seniors though.
Their actual clubrooms where you buy the beer and what not is quite small though

I've been to a couple games down there and there has been next to zero wind there during the day. Also the changerooms were massive from what I saw, maybe they have sub divided them for junior finals where they played 4 teams at once im guessing? Wouldn't think that would be the same for seniors though.
Their actual clubrooms where you buy the beer and what not is quite small though
Yes was shared.. maybe the roller doors open up for more room (hope so)..
Was extremely windy.. But fingers crossed this weekend is sunny..
What's ya tips?

Yes was shared.. maybe the roller doors open up for more room (hope so)..
Was extremely windy.. But fingers crossed this weekend is sunny..
What's ya tips?
I never saw any roller doors when I was there so I think they must roll up.

My tips would probably be
Parkside by 20pts over Vales
Wests by 10pts over Orden

Is there any truth in what i was told yesterday,
Caroline springs in talks with essendon league.

Parkside by 50 far too strong, and will only lose one more this season.
Glenorden by 35 might be close all day but in the end orden should kick away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back