Status
Not open for further replies.

No U turns

Debutant
Dec 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Exactly there is no real answer.
We dont want to lose kids to the game altogether yet the rich get richer and the lesser clubs fold.
It is local footy though and clubs need to remember that.
The Deer Parks and Avondale Heights of the world are treating it like they are VFL clubs waiting for the AFL to offer them a 19th license. I really think it starts with the juniors though. Albion and Sunshine have succesfully brought juniors through to their senior sides with reasonable success. If you can create the right culture you hope that this will translate into player retention later on.

Grassbag

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
The Deer Parks and Avondale Heights of the world are treating it like they are VFL clubs waiting for the AFL to offer them a 19th license.

Not sure if Avondale are quite as bad as deer park or abers for that matter

It's only recently they've been a force and I don't know how long they will be able to sustain it for

And they still haven't been able to win one either... But I do enjoy it when clubs start to compete with the same old a grade powerhouses

anderson1948

Team Captain
Apr 28, 2013
williamstown
AFL Club
Sydney
There is a huge problem getting kids to play in the inner parts of WRFL Nth Footscray West Footscray Braybrook Parkside Albion Sunshine Sunshine Heights Nth Sunshine compared to the Werribee area where there are an abundance of kids in the new areas. I know how hard it has been for our club at North to try and get kids to play but each year it has been getting harder and harder to find kids to play. Also the other clubs I have mentioned have tried real hard also, so what can we do about it. Maybe have a meeting with the league and the AFL and see what they can do.

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
There is a huge problem getting kids to play in the inner parts of WRFL Nth Footscray West Footscray Braybrook Parkside Albion Sunshine Sunshine Heights Nth Sunshine compared to the Werribee area where there are an abundance of kids in the new areas. I know how hard it has been for our club at North to try and get kids to play but each year it has been getting harder and harder to find kids to play. Also the other clubs I have mentioned have tried real hard also, so what can we do about it. Maybe have a meeting with the league and the AFL and see what they can do.

Hey Ando,
It's only going to get harder mate. Let's use YSE (Yarraville/Seddon) as an example. Seddon lost their juniors and gradually the senior side struggled due to finances. Yarraville were not going well and we're experiencing a decline in juniors. They decided to merge after a number of meetings in which the "old crews" didn't agree. Now they are both still alive and have their name still around. The juniors are going really well with good numbers. Why: the people of both clubs are involved in the juniors and it's been a success IMO. *i do stand to be corrected but it's mostly correct..

It's hard to take but ultimately in these times you can only survive by a big sponsor putting in over 100k each year or you merge. You need to have juniors as they provide future players, more supporters and extra income coming in..

Let's ask a question, how did most loyal people get involved in the club in the first place? Either by playing juniors there, knowing a family member who played there or they lived in the area and liked footy.. But times have changed.. And you must move with them or you get swallowed up. Same as business..

LavertonMagpie

All Australian
Feb 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
What many of you are missing is the point... The kids and/or the parents don't want to play footy at YOUR club... In the EDFL and/or better run clubs kids are in abundance! They want to play at the bigger, well run clubs because they are built on being great places to be, fun, safe, respected, nice people, great culture...
One could argue that a club such as Aberfeldie FC has many clubs on its doorstep (Doutta Stars, Maribrynong Park, PEGS, Airport West, St Bernard's, etc but has an abundance of kids wanting to play there... Why? Because of the aforementioned reasons... I have 2 boys and I would prefer to have them play in that environment than the WRFL...
Don't blame computers, area, lack of resources, the league... Blame your environment, your culture and you lack of willingness to change...
Hampton Rovers is another such club in amongst many clubs a stone's throw away as is East Sandy JFC yet both have an abundance of teams for the same reasons... Until people realise they need to change image, culture and perception you are all destined to fail

Grassbag

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
One could argue that a club such as Aberfeldie FC has many clubs on its doorstep (Doutta Stars, Maribrynong Park, PEGS, Airport West, St Bernard's, etc but has an abundance of kids wanting to play there...
Hampton Rovers is another such club in amongst many clubs a stone's throw away as is East Sandy JFC yet both have an abundance of teams for the same reasons... Until people realise they need to change image, culture and perception you are all destined to fail

Agree with what you're saying to a certain point

But Not sure it's fair to compare areas like sunshine to aberfeldie and Hampton

Socio economic factors do come into play

Doubt there's much of an Asian or Sudanese community out in Hampton

DP Lion

Rookie
Oct 4, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
We dont want to lose kids to the game altogether yet the rich get richer and the lesser clubs fold.
The Deer Parks and Avondale Heights of the world are treating it like they are VFL clubs waiting for the AFL to offer them a 19th license. I really think it starts with the juniors though. Albion and Sunshine have succesfully brought juniors through to their senior sides with reasonable success. If you can create the right culture you hope that this will translate into player retention later on.
So because clubs like Deer Park and Avondale heights committees work really hard on and off the field we are part of the reason there is not enough players running around??? Really...the real issue with clubs sustainability is plain and simple there is not enough footballers coming through the system, take the Wrfl for example in the last 4 years it's has had 4 clubs join it, on average that's around 60 to 70 per club, in all that's 240 to 280 less players for the older established clubs

Time to relax

Team Captain
May 8, 2009
Sunshine
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree in part with DP Lion, but the other key aspect is the success of the A League means there heroes aren't Ablett, Lockett, Dunstall, Carey.

There heroes are Archie Thomson, Tim Cahill & co so all they want to do is aspire to be like them. I struggle with the concept of soccer when a team only scores the odd goal here & there which is the highlight.

I think the AFL dropping prices will help crowds this year, but they need to continue to revolutionise the entertainment factor where stars take screamers and the stars don't get mauled by defenders or taggers.the big forwards kicking 10 a game, teams having attacking shootouts, etc. that is what made the game great & why we all took it up.

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Here is a situation I'm dealing with at the moment. I have a 7 year old who goes to the footy with me sometimes and likes footy. He has an older brother who plays a good level of footy. He has played Aus kick last 2 years. He has 2 options this year play Auskick again or go to u/10. His not ready for u/10 playing against kids aged 8,9,10 when his 7. He doesn't want to do Auskick again as its more based on younger kid drills. So his got to have a year off. He came to me the other night and said he likes soccer and wants to play. "Oh sh##". How will I cope, not well. Lol. Now I'm right into my footy and finding this hard, as footy & cricket was what I grew up playing. His a strong kid but worried he might get hurt. I will support him with whatever he wants to do but we are going to have a year off and revisit sport in 2016 and hopefully he wants to play footy.
So the AFL have a major issue. Why does a kid who was not bought up with a soccer ball all of a sudden want to play soccer. The answer is if a 10 yr old tackles a 7 yr old and hurts them then that's it for them. It's a big age gap for a physical sport.
This year the EDFL bought in u/8s with modified rules. Great idea but the club near our place didn't enrol a side and we could go somewhere else but then he will have to leave his mates.

So my point is I have just experienced first hand why kids are playing soccer. The AFL have been to slow to react. What's happened to me is pretty common for kids caught in between.

Yes some kids are ready to play at 7 (as my older son was ready a few years back now) but they need to be footy crazy. Kids these days have a lot of other options..

Grassbag

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Think many parents want kids to play soccer for the low physicality of the sport... It's a big draw card for the parents... Also you need less kids to field a soccer team making it easier to fill sides.... English premier league is very well marketed for a poorly run league another major reason why soccer popularity is booming.... When I was a kid basketball was all the rage... The Nbl were getting 15,000 to a game and NBA cards were what kids were into

Soccer is probably just going through a boom time

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Went and watched YSE vs Keilor Park today. Good game and think YSE won by between 6-10goals but no score board operating. Keilor Park had 6-9 senior players out so depending on what YSE had out hard to judge. But YSE didn't look that good. Lacked some big forwards..
Some guy from YSE (no 9) let a few go in the last minutes and then copped his not long after. Remember you throw a few, be prepared for what's coming.
Good hit out for both teams played in good spirit, well up to the last 3-4 minutes. All good after game and all YSE players came into the rooms. Great stuff..

Chief_Deano

Rookie
Apr 5, 2005
Other Teams
Geelong
Went and watched YSE vs Keilor Park today. Good game and think YSE won by between 6-10goals but no score board operating. Keilor Park had 6-9 senior players out so depending on what YSE had out hard to judge. But YSE didn't look that good. Lacked some big forwards..
Some guy from YSE (no 9) let a few go in the last minutes and then copped his not long after. Remember you throw a few, be prepared for what's coming.
Good hit out for both teams played in good spirit, well up to the last 3-4 minutes. All good after game and all YSE players came into the rooms. Great stuff..
YSE were at least 6-7 quality players short of full strength. Certainly not an indicator of how their season will go!

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
YSE were at least 6-7 quality players short of full strength. Certainly not an indicator of how their season will go!

Yeah I did hear that. But either KP are going to be ok or YSE might struggle. KP had some good players out I hear. Some of these players could play a higher league.
YSE no 44 looks good and KP no 10 looks the goods for div2.

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just been contacted by an offical via SMS and YSE beat Keilor Park by 16pts. As I said there was no scoreboard operating but there was goal umpires so it appears 16pts was the margin..

vicki3013

Senior List
May 29, 2007
altona
AFL Club
West Coast
Here is a situation I'm dealing with at the moment. I have a 7 year old who goes to the footy with me sometimes and likes footy. He has an older brother who plays a good level of footy. He has played Aus kick last 2 years. He has 2 options this year play Auskick again or go to u/10. His not ready for u/10 playing against kids aged 8,9,10 when his 7. He doesn't want to do Auskick again as its more based on younger kid drills. So his got to have a year off. He came to me the other night and said he likes soccer and wants to play. "Oh sh##". How will I cope, not well. Lol. Now I'm right into my footy and finding this hard, as footy & cricket was what I grew up playing. His a strong kid but worried he might get hurt. I will support him with whatever he wants to do but we are going to have a year off and revisit sport in 2016 and hopefully he wants to play footy.
So the AFL have a major issue. Why does a kid who was not bought up with a soccer ball all of a sudden want to play soccer. The answer is if a 10 yr old tackles a 7 yr old and hurts them then that's it for them. It's a big age gap for a physical sport.
This year the EDFL bought in u/8s with modified rules. Great idea but the club near our place didn't enrol a side and we could go somewhere else but then he will have to leave his mates.

So my point is I have just experienced first hand why kids are playing soccer. The AFL have been to slow to react. What's happened to me is pretty common for kids caught in between.

Yes some kids are ready to play at 7 (as my older son was ready a few years back now) but they need to be footy crazy. Kids these days have a lot of other options..

I was involved with an under 10s side last year which was mainly made up of a 7,8 and 9 year olds.
The 7year olds could only play under 10s as we didn't have enough players for an under 9s
In both the under 9 and 10 grades they play modified rules which means the likely hood of him being tackled and hurt by a 10yo is extremely unlikely.

My advice let him have a go at under 10s or take him to a club that has 9s for a year then switch back (lots of juniors switching clubs these days)
Pretty sure he will enjoy it almost as much as you will watching him.

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was involved with an under 10s side last year which was mainly made up of a 7,8 and 9 year olds.
The 7year olds could only play under 10s as we didn't have enough players for an under 9s
In both the under 9 and 10 grades they play modified rules which means the likely hood of him being tackled and hurt by a 10yo is extremely unlikely.

My advice let him have a go at under 10s or take him to a club that has 9s for a year then switch back (lots of juniors switching clubs these days)
Pretty sure he will enjoy it almost as much as you will watching him.

Thanks for the reply..
Even though I based it on my situation I was stating why kids seem to get hooked on soccer. It's not my choice as he doesn't want to play this year but hopefully he does next year as I'm not keen on soccer. It's funny as my other son (who plays a high standard of footy) loved the physical stuff and still does.
My oldest son was given a soccer ball at about 2yrs of age from the in laws, and when they left I kicked it over the back fence about 50mts. True story..lol "that was a while ago now though"

Sull Bhit

Draftee
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Recieved some info yesterday from a mate on some of North Footscrays recruits.. Take it for what it's worth

Brad MacNicol- Their best recruit, from Werribee Centrals and Hoppers. Bit of x-factor and a match winner. Wing/half forward

Kane Williams- Plodder from the Port Colts 2s but should play seniors. Midfield

Blake Pilkington- Athletic big man, good get apparently. Will be handy at this level I'm told. Ruck/tall fwd

David Hall- match winner and ball magnet. Played at Werribee Centrals and will walk into midfield easy. Real undisciplined however and plays by his own game. Hard to coach. Midfield

Matt Bellingham- great skills and can kick goals but lazy and 2s player in most good sides. Forward.

Tyson Bock - brother of AFL Nathan. Big body like his bro, very good player, from Murray league. KPD

Ryan Murphy - From Wyndhamvale reserves but struggled to get a game in the 2's. Brother Kieren plays at the Devils

anderson1948

Team Captain
Apr 28, 2013
williamstown
AFL Club
Sydney
Recieved some info yesterday from a mate on some of North Footscrays recruits.. Take it for what it's worth

Brad MacNicol- Their best recruit, from Werribee Centrals and Hoppers. Bit of x-factor and a match winner. Wing/half forward

Blake Pilkington- Athletic big man, good get apparently. Will be handy at this level I'm told. Ruck/tall fwd

David Hall- match winner and ball magnet. Played at Werribee Centrals and will walk into midfield easy. Real undisciplined however and plays by his own game. Hard to coach. Midfield

Matt Bellingham- great skills and can kick goals but lazy and 2s player in most good sides. Forward.

Tyson Bock - brother of AFL Nathan. Big body like his bro, very good player, from Murray league. KPD

Ryan Murphy - From Wyndhamvale reserves but struggled to get a game in the 2's. Brother Kieren plays at the Devils
Did you forget the other 10 recruits lol

Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong

I know a few of these players quite well

Pilkington, if you can get him on the park he is a good lead up forward at best, not tall enough for the ruck

In for 1 out for 3

Bellingham, if it's true he's actually training for a change he might actually be able to play more than a quarter of footy, again he has the talent but his ego is as big as his head

Only time will tell

Williams, was a very talented junior at CHF AND CHF and from memory his first few years of senior football were very impressive for a young age.
Big get if fit

Ryan Murphy, brother of the other 2 Murphy's.
What I would like to call the runt of the litter.
Obviously only heading there to play at the same club as his brothers
Will not play ones

VOTEGETTERS

Cancelled
Feb 19, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know a few of these players quite well

Pilkington, if you can get him on the park he is a good lead up forward at best, not tall enough for the ruck

In for 1 out for 3

Bellingham, if it's true he's actually training for a change he might actually be able to play more than a quarter of footy, again he has the talent but his ego is as big as his head

Only time will tell

Williams, was a very talented junior at CHF AND CHF and from memory his first few years of senior football were very impressive for a young age.
Big get if fit

Ryan Murphy, brother of the other 2 Murphy's.
What I would like to call the runt of the litter.
Obviously only heading there to play at the same club as his brothers
Will not play ones
Bellingham switched on will be hard to stop, and great bloke to have around your footy club supporting the club...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back