2nds WWT Eagles vs Port Adelaide - Round 3 @ Woodville

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree Ford Fairlane. I want John to succeed badly but, in admittedly unfavourable conditions, he was terrible today.

I couldn't make head nor tail of his game today. Last week Macca19 observed Butcher:

Butcher - Kicked 5, including 3 late, but I just don't know. Im convinced he doesn't know how to judge the ball coming in on a lead. This was a light bulb above the head moment for me as it clicked that the reason you never see him take many grabs anymore is because he over-leads too much. Cant judge the ball, is forced to double back and try and run onto it instead. We've all commented on that in his AFL games over the last 12 months and I reckon that happened 15 times today. So either everyone he plays with all the time cant kick to the lead, or hes going out too fast and working himself into a poor position. He basically kicked 5 goals as a 197cm small forward today. He probably kicked the best two goals of the day - one a 60m drop punt that sailed in with the wind, the other a great effort where we had a clear forward line with him chasing his opponent heading back towards goal, he jumped on him in the tackle, got the ball free, got back up and dribbled it through for goal of the day. He was ok, and his stats were good, but im not sure we need a 197cm version of Hitchcock.

I think the lightbulb just came on for me too. He's either over-leading or jumping from too far back.

So what happens now? Do you think he will be traded? Delisted? Rookie listed?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I don't know how long we can persist with him. Just get the feeling if we trade him it'd haunt us for a long time to come.

Weird that. The third quarter they outplayed us, especially the 1st 2/3 of that quarter, and they came back strongly on the scoreboard. Then the final quarter they abjectly surrendered for no reason. They spent it almost 100% flooding our forward zone and trying to defend a 5 goal deficit, which slowly blew out accordingly. One of the stranger coaching performances I've seen.
*there was

Yeah, I was panicking at three quarter time thinking they would do us in then they played a 2 man forward line

Dosent mean we wouldn't get a good player from it. Thinking Melbourne,Richmond may be interested if he was offered.

Final option - contact lenses.
I thought he had taken delivery of a pair and put them in at halftime last week, but sounds like he lost them today.
Barry Hall had the same problem at one stage, I recall.
Not sure how serious I am about this, but Butch can be so skew-whiff with his judgement on the lead it's damned unnatural after all this time, unless he just can't see the ball.
Despair despair despair.

Should've gone today , just a bit expensive in petrol because I live in Aldinga spent the game ' watching on the SANFL site , . Newton is certainly putting pressure on the selectors as is Moore , Hitchcock , P.Stewart , Clurey . Good to see Neade building a little , . Great thing this , the Maggies and Power as one club. Hopefully the Magpie barrackers that felt a bit disengaged from the Power jump on for the ride too and the same the other way , Power fanatics that weren't ever into the Magpies start going to games etc.
Great times to be a Port barrackers .
Back up where we belong .

we know what we've got with butch, i liked the fact that hocking moved him behind the ball in the second quarter, i would have started him loose across the backline (when going against the breeze) and free him up to follow the ball around, seriously don't know why they haven't tried him at chb at sanfl level.

either way it was a windy shoddy day for forwards today.

nearly time to upgrade mitchell to play the super sub role, like everyone has said newton, moore and stewart are ready to come back in the side, hitchcock is starring, clurey is smashing them down back, really impressive stuff right now.

one thing, so the eagles are 6 goals down at 3 quarter time, kicking with a 4-5 goal breeze, you would think they would play forwards and actually try to win, it was hilarious, every time they won possession or a clearance there was no one to kick to, we did what we liked across half back, two, three loose players and at no stage could they even think about getting back in the game, ametuer (half) hour there eagles.

No sympathy at all for smashing the Eagles. The SANFL subjected us to failure for the last 15 years and didn't seem to think it was unfair to have us assetless with no revenue stream. Stuff 'em. No doubt there will be complaints, crisis meetings, and cRowie will be saying that they'll kick us out at the end of the year but not sure if he's thought about the 3-year channel 7 rights having a say on it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Mitchell's a long way back in the queue Ozph1870. Getting a s**t load of the ball but his skills and composure just aren't up to it. I don't think he'll even be on the list next year.

I think Newton's jumped to the front of the line for a call up - and I love the way Clurey's playing down back.

Final option - contact lenses.
I thought he had taken delivery of a pair and put them in at halftime last week, but sounds like he lost them today.
Barry Hall had the same problem at one stage, I recall.
Not sure how serious I am about this, but Butch can be so skew-whiff with his judgement on the lead it's damned unnatural after all this time, unless he just can't see the ball.
Despair despair despair.

You do have to wonder if Butch does have a vision problem, there has to be some reason why he continually mistimes his leads.

His best ( which unfortunately we haven't seen often enough ) can be very, very good, but his worst is not even SANFL standard.
He desperately needs to take a SANFL game by the throat and shake the sh*t out of it, or the likes of Mitch Harvey will bypass him.

lmao from some #realfooty supporter "Its not sanfl football anymore. when was it ever 10 teams?"

I reckon he forgot about the woodpeckers. :D
Let's face it, they were forgettable. Even when they became the Warriors.:D

I again thought he wasn't too bad, gave a few neat handballs and looked lively up forward. Looked far more dangerous than Butcher. I think you're trying to paint him into a corner. AhChe, Amon, Heath, Neade and Young were the four I though "with time" today.
I count five?:confused::rolleyes:o_O

Well that was my first sanfl game of the year.

No idea where I sit after watching that game. I guess I was hoping for more on an individual basis yet as a team I was very impressed.

Butcher needs to told to lead up at the ball carrier rather than trying to stay at home, when marking he needs to watch the ball and not feel for the push in the back.
Harvey needs to be put on a plane as often as possible to go watch NVolt play and learn what work rate is.
Our mids are solid without anyone putting there hand up and saying I am to good for this level.
The tackling for the first 50 minutes was incredible.
If we can keep that team on the park we will be hard to beat. However there is very little running around in the reserves.
DBJ looks to be very fatigued, Ahchee I still don't see afl for him

Well that was my first sanfl game of the year.

No idea where I sit after watching that game. I guess I was hoping for more on an individual basis yet as a team I was very impressed.

Butcher needs to told to lead up at the ball carrier rather than trying to stay at home, when marking he needs to watch the ball and not feel for the push in the back.
Harvey needs to be put on a plane as often as possible to go watch NVolt play and learn what work rate is.
Our mids are solid without anyone putting there hand up and saying I am to good for this level.
The tackling for the first 50 minutes was incredible.
If we can keep that team on the park we will be hard to beat. However there is very little running around in the reserves.
DBJ looks to be very fatigued, Ahchee I still don't see afl for him
Lachlan McGregor, Sam Martyn, Tasman Fitzgerald and Albert Dunstan all showed a little I thought, would have liked to watch them do their thing in a side where they could do as the pleased a little more.

Lachlan McGregor, Sam Martyn, Tasman Fitzgerald and Albert Dunstan all showed a little I thought, would have liked to watch them do their thing in a side where they could do as the pleased a little more.
Albert Dunstan would have to be the brother of Luke?

I again thought he wasn't too bad, gave a few neat handballs and looked lively up forward. Looked far more dangerous than Butcher. I think you're trying to paint him into a corner. AhChe, Amon, Heath, Neade and Young were the four I though "with time" today.

Mitchell of old today, P.Stewart good at either end, Haren fantastic all day in any position. Buggermann can't ruck. Newton leap frogged Moore, Andrew did some silly things today!

A few good Eagles lads I wouldn't mind seeing in the AFL system

I want Ah Chee to do well. But he isn't doing himself any favours by putting in average SANFL performances. Same goes for Butcher with that deplorable 3 touches.

Also I reckon Haren should be our main ruck with Harvey pinch hitting and drop Bruggemann for Raikiwasa so we have Clurey and Bobby Jr down back.

Albert Dunstan no relation to Luke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back