2nds WWT Eagles vs Port Adelaide - Round 3 @ Woodville

Remove this Banner Ad

So I'm guessing no one wants Newton to be promoted?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
But if Hombsch is fit enough to return, and the coach takes a gamble on Monfries (as was suggested at the post match presser), would there be room for Newton as well?

Anyway, great win Maggies: let's make it a hat trick next week!!!

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just looking at the stats seems like the mids had a day out in front of goal which might explain the low stats for Butch and Harvey.
Still, if Butch played a whole game, that is an embarrassing return.

jabba5114

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
But if Hombsch is fit enough to return, and the coach takes a gamble on Monfries (as was suggested at the post match presser, would there be room for Newton as well?
Let monfries have time in sanfl. Don't want another performance like wingards

I think so too: I was just surprised to hear Ken suggest that he might be a chance for next week.

Umpiring was rubbish. If Port had concentrated for 4 quarters and the umpires hadn't tried to even up the contest a bit that could have been another 100 point result against an unbeaten Eagles on their home deck. That's just embarrassing.

Neade was the impressive player out there for me, really opened up the game in congestion with electrifying speed. Had his chase and tackle mojo back too.

Mar 9, 2014
Madelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
it is time that Newton is promoted ....

Just back from the game. WWT supporters are still the quietest in the sanfl except when they kick a goal from a free kick. 4000+ there. Their biggest crowd for years.
As I said earlier this season, Scooter is too good for the sanfl. Was brilliant today.
Jakey has now played 2 good games in a row.
Andrew played very well.
Mitchell was everywhere. His kicking still needs work. Same goes for Sammy.
Summo is a great captain.
A terrible day for forwards but Butch showed very little except for his defensive pressure. Big Ben and Harvey showed more.
Bruggerman was exhausted after rucking the whole first quarter but kept putting in all game with some support from Haren and Butch.
Heath improved dramatically in the second half after being hesitant and quiet in the first.
Amon continues to impress.
Clurey was very good down back and his footskills are a class above most backmen.
Stewie was also very good - should have kicked a couple more. Same goes for Hitchy.
I like Beamo - very professional and a good leader.
Robbie Young and Achee had good moments too.
The PAFC totally dominated the game except for late in the second and early in the third.

Edit: Very enjoyable game. First win at Woodville for a while.

Solid win, well done Maggie's.
Most of the AFL listed players feature at the top of the stats sheet, very positive. Without seeing the game appears Newts and Moore doing the most for an AFL call up.
I was there.
Without the benefits of the stats I'd give Powerstufff's "Gold star of potential promotion" to Newton (all game), Hitchcock (most of the game), Neade (second half especially), and Tom Clurey (all game). Honourable mentions to Heath, Mitchell, and Stewart. No-one was awful.
Butcher showed AFL level defensive pressure in the forward line early but he and Harvey were sacrificial goats as the mids and small forwards had more opportunity. Butch dropped one pressure mark with his hands in front of him. Later in the game he had a few good moments in defence and was even used in ruck for a bit. I don't know if Renouf was injured in the second half or just benched. Very late in the game Butch had one long distance shot on goal which was accurate but fell just short. Then finally slotted an accurate distance shot.
These are my impressions from standing with the Cheer Squad at the southern end. Most of the final quarter was played at the northern end (our end at that time) so there's a modicum of guesswork there. Draft Slattery (an Essendon delistee) and Summerton (the Maggies' captain).

Last edited:
... Bruggerman was exhausted after rucking the whole first quarter but kept putting in all game with some support from Haren and Butch .....
Was Renouf out there? Am I mixing him with Bruggerman? :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 9, 2014
Madelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was there.
Without the benefits of the stats I'd give Powerstufff's "Gold star of potential promotion" to Newton (all game), Hitchcock (most of the game), Neade (second half especially), and Tom Clurey (all game). Honourable mentions to Heath, Mitchell, and Stewart. No-one was awful.
Butcher showed AFL level defensive pressure in the forward line early but he and Harvey were sacrificial goats as the mids and small forwards had more opportunity. Butch dropped one pressure mark with his hands in front of him. Later in the game he had a few good moments in defence and was even used in ruck for a bit. I don't know if Renouf was injured in the second half or just benched. Very late in the game Butch had one long distance shot on goal which was accurate but fell just short. Then finally slotted an accurate distance shot.
These are my impressions from standing with the Cheer Squad at the southern end. Most of the final quarter was played at the northern end (our end at that time) so there's a modicum of guesswork there. Draft Slattery (the Maggies captain, an Essendon delistee).

Renouf didn't play.

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

A player of Monfries quality doesn't come back via the SANFL after only 2 weeks out. He is either 100% and plays AFL or he isn't and sits out another week.

Bruggemann is a funny ruckman. He basically doesn't jump, just stands in the way at the centre bounces. He's very big and strong though and the opposition ruckmen don't quite seem to know how to get around or over him.

Biggest crowd since 2000 HaroldOliver

I liked Amon too, he's starting to pick up the pace. Was clobbered a couple of times running in as third up at ruck bounces, no protection from the umpires. But picked himself up and kept going. Good tough stuff. Good hands and neat skills. Can jump too when he's not getting checked.

jabba5114

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What are your thoughts on if the SANFL kept the same conditions for the Magpies and Crows reserves but got rid of the cap for the other 8 teams?
Raise the cap for other teams. The better they are better for our players.

What are your thoughts on if the SANFL kept the same conditions for the Magpies and Crows reserves but got rid of the cap for the other 8 teams?

They'll bankrupt themselves trying to keep up - a few are barely treading water already. The AFL should start a reserves competition.

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
Umpiring was rubbish. If Port had concentrated for 4 quarters and the umpires hadn't tried to even up the contest a bit that could have been another 100 point result against an unbeaten Eagles on their home deck. That's just embarrassing.

Neade was the impressive player out there for me, really opened up the game in congestion with electrifying speed. Had his chase and tackle mojo back too.
That's terrific news regarding Neade. I like him in our AFL side, he just adds another dimension to our forward line. Him and Wingard work well together as well which has probably been a forgotten fact. Still the problem is who do you drop with Hombsch likely to come in?

That's terrific news regarding Neade. I like him in our AFL side, he just adds another dimension to our forward line. Him and Wingard work well together as well which has probably been a forgotten fact. Still the problem is who do you drop with Hombsch likely to come in?

There's your problem. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back