Resource www.footyjumpers.com

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
Mero your Richmond Alanah and Madeline Jumper is missing the text on top of the patch. There are two versions. One with the text and one with the bear.
183c0a14aac486228b4dc1cf8ecadbf1.jpg
Richmond-Buddy-2014.gif
336508.jpg
Thanks. Now added

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think the Freo 20 years logo is on the back of the sugar daddy jumper:

338366.jpg

20-yearLogo.jpg

Fremantle-Members-2014.gif

Mero
Probably hard to do, but there were bold and regular fonts on this, which is why it looked more purple marle than anything. The players were thick, regular 'donators' in the regular font.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
don't know if this has been said before, but have you considered giving GC and GWS (TAC Cup/NEAFL) their own pre-AFL/VFL page?
Yeah, that's something I am going to do, but haven't got to, for no particular reason.

thequarry

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Mero I was looking through some old St Kilda photos. I can't remember if I've brought this up earlier in thread but I'd always taken notice of this photo, because it's the only colourised photo I've seen of a St Kilda red, yellow and black jumper.
194908.jpeg

The thing is, I always dismissed the yellow band below the V as the artist's error (perhaps other details such as shoulders and so on), but then I came across a whole bunch of uncoloured photos on Boyle's Football Photos of St Kilda players in the 1922 jumper and they all have the band too (some more obvious than others):
dl4718.jpeg
dl4720.jpeg
dl4722.jpeg
dl4725.jpeg

They're in the 1923 "Magpie Portraits of Leading Footballers" but the range of jumpers shows the St Kilda shots are from 1922 and 1923.

Also, if the band is in fact there I'm not sure what colour would be below it - the colourised shot has a small showing of black but again, that just might be the artist's work.

thequarry

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'll look into that and see what I can find in the 1922 and 1923 newspapers.
See what else comes of it.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention

Awesome, thanks Mero.

Also this shot better shows the V going over the shoulders (small image though, sorry). Looks like the V was relatively wide-set and the band (assuming there was one) quite prominent.
dl3294.jpeg

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Just a preliminary look at it from the footy cards site makes it look like it was there in the 1922 team photo.
It looks to be the same colour as the Vee.
I have to admit the design looks as it does based on a years painted footy cards.
It might be the actual jumper had the yoke, which whoever painted that years cards might have left out.
The other thing I noticed was how many jumpers were missing collars.
I would think this was more likely they had been pulled off in games than not made in the first place.
So they're more likely the same jumpers used 1919-1922, not a new set every season.

Couldn't see it on the site so in case you missed it Melbourne wore this on the weekend:

337834.jpg

337838.jpg

I also couldn't see the Carlton promo on the site (the one with the cups on the back), but I'm sure it was there before.

Mero

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
It's not often history gets re-written.

But the more I look into the 1919-1922 Saints jumper the more it looks like it needs to be.

These are the cards I based the design of the jumper from:
m64.jpg

There's whole sets of these, in the same colours.
Obviously these are paintings of B&W photos.
They're not drawings, and they're not colour photos

However, it would appear I have not followed my own advise and been very wary of printed B&W photos.

From what I can see of the reports in newspapers, StKilda may have actually adopted the Belgian flag in more ways than simply their colours, they may have been wearing it, with as Vee over the top as well.
It is mentioned each time the change in colours is raised that the change was to represent Belgium, and not Germany.
If you were to hang a Belgian flag, it would be Black at the Top, then Yellow, then Red.
So I am leaning towards changing the image to that design.
However, that disagrees with our initial entry into this discussion, the painted Barney Carr picture.
However given the website is now treated as the official history of the uniforms, I want to more confident in the design than I am right now.
The collar is about the only thing I am comfortable with at the moment.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
So we've either got
Black, Yellow, Red with Black Sleeves or
Black, Yellow, Red with Red Sleeves or
Red, Yellow, Black with Red Sleeves or
Red, Yellow, Black with Black Sleeves

Maybe1.gif

Maybe4.gif

Maybe2.gif

Maybe3.gif

Personally I would think the first option is the most likely.

Last edited:

thequarry

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Brilliant stuff Mero! Maybe it is as the Barney Carr image shows, effectively the Belgian flag hung up...but upside down...

This 1922 team shot from Boyles I don't think shows us much more - other than that perhaps the cuffs were mostly yellow rather than red?
dl10845

thequarry

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Also Mero I have another St Kilda jumper for you - but this one I've never seen before. The thing is is that I haven't seen a photo where it's the chief design worn throughout the team. I don't know how you feel about older images in which it's clear some players have different jumpers to their own teammates (I think this was discussed when the 1909 Grand Final footage surfaced).

Anyway, these are shots from 1908 and 1909 (both from Boyles again) in which some players have the 1893-1914 candy stripe variation jumper, but others seem to have one (particularly in the 1908 shot) which has red (?) shoulders and a red stripe down the middle, with black and white stripes either side? I say "red" because it's clearly a lighter colour/shade than what I presume to be the black stripes and shorts. That said, it's also a lighter shade than the red on the candy stripe jumpers.

The 1908 team:
dl5857

And the 1909 team:
dl5858

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brilliant stuff Mero! Maybe it is as the Barney Carr image shows, effectively the Belgian flag hung up...but upside down...

This 1922 team shot from Boyles I don't think shows us much more - other than that perhaps the cuffs were mostly yellow rather than red?
dl10845
I really don't think they'd do that.
Hanging a flag upside down is a distress signal.
One thought that comes to my mind is perhaps the painter of the footy cards was advised Black then Yellow, then Red and that's how they end up with the Black inside the vee, and then the Red underneath.
Maybe...?

Back