Resource www.footyjumpers.com

Remove this Banner Ad

366843-tlsnewslandscape.jpg
I love that Carlton reverted to the old monogram as this was their "most successful" image, and now it looks like being the most bleak period for them in an already bleak decade! :p

For mero , what would shoulder straps look like on a football jumper?. Doing research on VFA jumpers , I located on Trove website the Brighton Southern Cross paper and in May 2nd edition it describes Brighton's uniform as being " Blue , with 2 pale blue bands as collar and " Shoulder Straps " and around wrists , Dark blue stockings with pale blue " below the knee " , white pants with a " dark belt ". In photos on Boyles website there are 2 pics from 1906 and 1907 , before Brighton joined the VFA showing their jumper looking like North Melbourne's 1913 style with the panelled type design , but with blue and pale blue I'm guessing. Old Chap.

For mero , what would shoulder straps look like on a football jumper?. Doing research on VFA jumpers , I located on Trove website the Brighton Southern Cross paper and in May 2nd edition it describes Brighton's uniform as being " Blue , with 2 pale blue bands as collar and " Shoulder Straps " and around wrists , Dark blue stockings with pale blue " below the knee " , white pants with a " dark belt ". In photos on Boyles website there are 2 pics from 1906 and 1907 , before Brighton joined the VFA showing their jumper looking like North Melbourne's 1913 style with the panelled type design , but with blue and pale blue I'm guessing. Old Chap.
Here is some information on VFA/VFL jumpers from past:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/vfa-vfl-jumpers.974121/

And here is what straps look like on Mero's site. It's the Hawks jumper from 1902.
Hawthorn-1902.gif

No, those are braces.
From the quick look I've had, shoulder straps appear to be more likely to be like epaulets, like pilots wear on their shirts.
On military uniforms they are still called shoulder straps, in the pic below, the parts with the decoration on them.
1297609213023_ORIGINAL.jpg

So they would run along the seam of the shoulder.

Last edited:
No, those are braces.
From the quick look I've had, shoulder straps appear to be more likely to be like epaulets, like pilots wear on their shirts.
On military uniforms they are still called shoulder straps, in the pic below, the parts with the decoration on them.
1297609213023_ORIGINAL.jpg

So they would run along the seam of the shoulder.
Thanks Mero (and Akkaps) , so it would look like an even narrower version of Fitzroy's 1942 - 47 across the top of the shoulders?

Can anyone confirm/deny whether the AFL is having the NZ anthem before the game, or if they did before the game that just started?

Reason I ask is because Canterbury and the Wests Tigers just had both before their NRL clash, which is how I believe it should be done on ANZAC day.
yeah, but how many kiwis actually watch the AFL?
and i mean kiwis, not Australians that live in NZ. the NRL has an NZ team, so people in NZ will be watching that, whereas minimal kiwis will be watching a game between Melbourne and richmond.
if/when we get a NZ team, you'd assume we'd have both at all games. we probably should have both right now, i agree, but we don't, and i don't see too much of an issue with it.

and i mean kiwis, not Australians that live in NZ. the NRL has an NZ team, so people in NZ will be watching that, whereas minimal kiwis will be watching a game between Melbourne and richmond.
if/when we get a NZ team, you'd assume we'd have both at all games. we probably should have both right now, i agree, but we don't, and i don't see too much of an issue with it.
It's just a typical "big brother" attitude that Australia never really acknowledges the NZ contribution to ANZAC history. Just would be nice as a "tribute" (for lack of a better word) to the fallen diggers from over the dutch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't matter. Isn't the Australian AND New Zealand Army Corps, therefore we should acknowledge NZ

we should, i'm just trying to make sense of not having it.
the year we start having the NZ anthem before the game is the year the AFL will be serious about a NZ team in the AFL.

out of curiosity, in an NRL grand final, with say, Melbourne and Brisbane competing, would both the Aus and NZ anthem play before the game?

we should, i'm just trying to make sense of not having it.
the year we start having the NZ anthem before the game is the year the AFL will be serious about a NZ team in the AFL.

out of curiosity, in an NRL grand final, with say, Melbourne and Brisbane competing, would both the Aus and NZ anthem play before the game?
No, because (a) they're both Australian team, and (b) no New Zealanders have died in a Grand Final, and therefore, there's nothing to commemorate by having the NZ anthem.

but it's a league with teams from both nations. i'd have thought that if a comp has two nations involved, no matter what, if one nations anthem is played, then the others should be.

but it's a league with teams from both nations. i'd have thought that if a comp has two nations involved, no matter what, if one nations anthem is played, then the others should be.
Has it been played in any grand finals before? Probably not unless NZ played

NBA, NFL and MLB don't play O Canada at all their games, but do play the Star Spangled Banner at most. Same applies here. However, if there were a Can-Am Army Corps and they had a day to commemorate those who died serving, I'd assume they would.

Yeah, I didn't hear it at the 2007, 09, 12, 13 or 14 ones. So you're on the money. Which is the right way to do it IMO.
I agree. They arent being represented in those cases. ANZAC games though, they are in a way. like I said, its both an Australian and a New Zealand commemoration, not just ours

I agree. They arent being represented in those cases. ANZAC games though, they are in a way. like I said, its both an Australian and a New Zealand commemoration, not just ours
Especially considering the amount of NZ heritage players in the NRL, it's only right to pay tribute to the sacrifices of their brethren.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back