360 XBOX 360 News(Articles, Accessories, and everything else)

Remove this Banner Ad

Kinect will be about more than gaming, it will also be about multimedia. You'll be able to watch movies & television using Kinect's features, which is more than the Wii has to offer.

Comparing the two, I'd rather take Kinect. But I'm not a fan of the Wii, so that doesn't say much.

I'm not exactly a fan of Kinect either. I certainly won't be getting it unless they drop the price. But I can't blame Microsoft Australia for the price, it's retailing at $150 in the US, so it was always going to be $200 here.

Meh, doesn't affect me just yet. I fit more into the hardcore catagory, and as long as Microsoft don't drop off in that market I'll be happy.

I don't think they're losing touch with their core market - in fact I can't understand "hardcore" gamers getting in such a flap about Kinect.

It's certainly something I'm not interested in, and wont be buying unless for me (I may buy it for my kids). But this doesn't mark the end of Call of Duty, Gears of War, Mass Effect etc. being bought out on the console.

MS are concentrating on 2 markets now, not duck shoving their core market in favour of trying to grab a slice of the casual gamer pie.

They can do both

Let's hope they can, but I just have that sick feeling that developers will be forced to adopt Kinect into their game titles at the detriment to the game itself.

It seems the general concensus is that most people won't be getting Kinect anyway, either due to the exorbitant price or the fact that none of the current content appeals to their gaming tastes.

Just seems like a big waste of time and development dollars to me.

Let's hope they can, but I just have that sick feeling that developers will be forced to adopt Kinect into their game titles at the detriment to the game itself.

No I read a MS release stating that Kinect is a different market to the likes of Gears of War, ME, Halo etc.

I can assure you plenty of people are lining up to pay $200 for Kinect

Surprising? Not really. People see "cool" tech stuff on the telly, and they must have it now!

Well, I thought it might do ok in the US but at $200 with pretty sparse advertising thus far and only a handful of mediocre games, I doubted how well it would do in the Australian market. I predicted it to flop actually, just seems to be too ambitious to undertake this late in the current generation of consoles.

I suppose many predicted the Wii would flop and it surprised alot of people when Nintendo started wading in wads of cash from something which was percieved as a gimmick. However, much of Nintendo's success came from the fact that they were penetrating a largeley untapped market of casual housewives or young children. MS are now trying to do the same thing Nintendo did 5 years ago but will the market respond to another console? One that is more expensive with less games to offer?

Well, I thought it might do ok in the US but at $200 with pretty sparse advertising thus far and only a handful of mediocre games, I doubted how well it would do in the Australian market. I predicted it to flop actually, just seems to be too ambitious to undertake this late in the current generation of consoles.

I suppose many predicted the Wii would flop and it surprised alot of people when Nintendo started wading in wads of cash from something which was percieved as a gimmick. However, much of Nintendo's success came from the fact that they were penetrating a largeley untapped market of casual housewives or young children. MS are now trying to do the same thing Nintendo did 5 years ago but will the market respond to another console? One that is more expensive with less games to offer?

Yeah they are 5 years too late.

Sony and Microsoft are chasing the $, even though Nintendo have tapped that "casual" department out.

But i am actually surpirsed how many people are ordering the bloody thing

No I read a MS release stating that Kinect is a different market to the likes of Gears of War, ME, Halo etc.

Although it could be possible for a game to cross into both genres with the use of Kinect. Say you're playing an FPS (using a controller) and you instinctively duck, then your guy in the game ducks as well. That would definitely make things more interesting, and that Don Mattrick guy has said that games like this will be coming in the future.

Personally, I think Kinect has potential, but investing $200 into potential just isn't worth it right now. The casual games they decided to show don't do this justice and even if I am interested in the new interface features, I still don't plan on getting this right away. That isn't a definite no forever, if they come up with some great applications for this to make it worth it, then I would consider it.

Although it could be possible for a game to cross into both genres with the use of Kinect. Say you're playing an FPS (using a controller) and you instinctively duck, then your guy in the game ducks as well. That would definitely make things more interesting, and that Don Mattrick guy has said that games like this will be coming in the future.
Clicking a button sounds easier TBH.

Clicking a button sounds easier TBH.

Crappy example, I know, but I didn't mean it as a core gameplay function. Obviously you'd rather press a button to crouch and what-not. It was just a thought as to how a hybrid game might work with it.

Personally, I think Kintect has potential, but investing $200 into potential just isn't worth it right now. The casual games they decided to show don't do this justice and even if I am interested in the new interface features, I still don't plan on getting this right away. That isn't a definite no forever, if they come up with some great applications for this to make it worth it, then I would consider it.

Not as if consumers won't do it. In Australia, early PS3 adopters paid a grand for a console that only promised that it would come good at some uncertain point in the future.

Not as if consumers won't do it. In Australia, early PS3 adopters paid a grand for a console that only promised that it would come good at some uncertain point in the future.

I see what you're saying (BTW the PS3 wasn't as bad as some make it out to be at launch. It had some good titles albeit majorly unknown due to them being new IP's) but this whole control with your body thing is new and the stuff they have shown has not been mindblowing. The PS3 had the precedent of the highly successful PS2 to fall back upon. Kinect has basically nothing.

What Kinect does have on its side is "wow-factor" though. The whole idea of playing games without a controller will appeal to many casuals.

Crappy example, I know, but I didn't mean it as a core gameplay function. Obviously you'd rather press a button to crouch and what-not. It was just a thought as to how a hybrid game might work with it.
Yeah I know, I was gonna add a "FWIW I know what you mean..." but it was late.:p

I think the only thing where a hybrid could really work is if it doesn't take you away from the experience on the screen. Ducking your head/body to make your character do that on the screen (depending on how well, how much you need to duck) it could see you looking away from the screen and what's actually happening.

It'd be interesting to see exactly what sort of experiences could be brought in and work right away but it seems like the best thing would be much like what Move is doing really (which I think the controller to aim is the only real experience that can be better than aiming with an analogue stick in the whole motion debate).

It seems the general concensus is that most people won't be getting Kinect anyway, either due to the exorbitant price or the fact that none of the current content appeals to their gaming tastes.

Just seems like a big waste of time and development dollars to me.

They can and will

For all the criticism levelled at the big corporations like MS, they're not stupid, they know they can't drop their core market. If they did, they would run the risk of alienating the market who made the xbox1 and 360 successful; so when the "720" came out they'd be behind the 8-Ball

A big waste of time and money, perhaps - but if successful will make them bucketloads - if not, they can cop the monetary loss

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went out and picked up an Xbox 360 slim today, picked it up at JB for $399, I was long overdue for getting a new console as I still had a launch console (Good old 20 gig) that never died on me once. Loving the slim so far, it's much more quiet and efficient, just a bit disappointed that they sell the console with Standard definition cables only, which means I'll have to go and buy a new set once I sell the old Xbox, it is a bit of an inconvenience, but it can be overlooked I guess.

Interesting tidbit from Ross @ BigAnt

We are also under some restrictions, currently if you make a Kinect game you *must* not use the normal controller at all.

So no crossover games in the short term.

Kinect dashboard navigation works while seated
We've been told before that the Xbox 360's Kinect would work when "an experience is developed with sitting in mind," but we hadn't had the opportunity to really test that. In a Gamescom meeting, where we saw the Kinect version of the Xbox dashboard, we tried out the menu system and movie controls to test its recognition of seated users:

* Sitting in a chair: Definitely works.
* Sitting on the floor: Works.
* Reclining while facing the Kinect: Works.
* Reclining with the Kinect at our side: We couldn't get this to work, but we've been told that it will by launch.
* Using another human as a coffee table (should have taken photos!): Kinect recognized the person behind the human coffee table trying to control the movie.

According to Microsoft, Kinect was running on an improved version of the software used during E3 in June. The manufacturer is set to make further improvements before the camera's November debut.
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/19/kinect-dashboard-navigation-works-while-seated/

Thought I'd share for people who didn't know that Kinect CAN work whilst seated, but they just haven't made the games for it yet.

New Xbox 360 controller with twist-up D-pad coming Nov. 9, bundled with charge kit for USD$65
It's the Xbox controller with a twist! As indicated by our source, Microsoft has announced a redesigned Xbox 360 wireless controller. The new gamepad will debut in a matte silver color with gray-toned face buttons and analog sticks with a more dramatic concave shape. Key to the new design is a "transforming" D-pad that changes from a semi-flush disc to a pop-out plus sign by twisting the D-pad clockwise.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/31/new-xbox-360-controller-dpad-release-date/

[YOUTUBE]kz6aTTKE6hE[/YOUTUBE]

Kinect dated.

Source: http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/111/1117318p1.html
The date? Aussie gamers can lay their (virual) hands on Kinect on November 18, 2010. The price, as previously announced, is AU$199 for the standalone Kinect unit and a copy of Kinect Adventures, and a bundle for AU$449 is also going to be available.

There will be 15 titles available at launch - equal to the number of titles at the Australian Xbox 360 launch.

Kinect voice control not available in some countries until Spring 2011
According to a Eurogamer Spain interview (translation) with Microsoft PR & Event Manager Lidia Pitzalis, Kinect will not support voice control in all regions when it launches this November. At launch, according to Pitzalis, voice control will be available in the US, UK, Mexico and Japan.

Eurogamer Spain notes that speaking English (or Spanish with a Mexican accent) won't suffice either, as voice control will actually be disabled in the affected countries at launch. Spain and other launch countries, including France, Germany, Italy and even Canada, will have to wait for a Spring 2011 update to enable the voice control features. For those without an internet connection, the update will be provided on future games and via "other solutions that do not involve an additional cost."
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/01/kinect-voice-control-not-available-in-some-countries-until-sprin/

This includes Australia. Mega fail.

Wonder why it's not supported in Aus, most of the dumb **** yanks think we're British anyway?

I'm not entirely sure but it could have something to do with our accent. We should be close enough to the English one though so I don't see the problem. We can't even try to put one on since they've completely locked it in our region.

I'm not entirely sure but it could have something to do with our accent. We should be close enough to the English one though so I don't see the problem. We can't even try to put one on since they've completely locked it in our region.

Yeah locking the region is pretty stupid. Also I wonder what English accent? One side of London to the next is a couple of different accents.

My friend recently got a new Slim in place of his rroded Pro. He's going to give it (Pro) to me and I'm gonna give it a shot at fixing.
Anyone got experiences/tips with fixing 360's (naturally I'll use a YouTube walkthrough to do it, anyone got any good walkthroughs by the way?). Is it hard? For the materials do I just get one of those rrod fix kits for 15-20 dollars on eBay? How long does it take to fix? I assume Microsoft won't touch it if I fix it and it dies again?

I've read and watched about 10-12 fixes now and have decided to go with the X-clamp fix instead of the penny fix. The one thing I'm not sure though is some of the vids overheat the console for about 30 mins after finished but some don't. I'm not sure what to do here? Anyone know?

Thanks. :)

My friend recently got a new Slim in place of his rroded Pro. He's going to give it (Pro) to me and I'm gonna give it a shot at fixing.
Anyone got experiences/tips with fixing 360's (naturally I'll use a YouTube walkthrough to do it, anyone got any good walkthroughs by the way?). Is it hard? For the materials do I just get one of those rrod fix kits for 15-20 dollars on eBay? How long does it take to fix? I assume Microsoft won't touch it if I fix it and it dies again?

I've read and watched about 10-12 fixes now and have decided to go with the X-clamp fix instead of the penny fix. The one thing I'm not sure though is some of the vids overheat the console for about 30 mins after finished but some don't. I'm not sure what to do here? Anyone know?

Thanks. :)

X clamp fix is certianly the bets way to go :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back