Year of celebrating our colours...

Remove this Banner Ad

The blue merchandise question was raised at the AGM. Club's response was that we are innovative with our merchandising and always looking at new initiatives and fashions. The club states that merchandise is still predominantly brown and gold.

As per HFC Constitution our guernsey will remain brown and gold.

Someone asked that at an AGM? That's depressing. Running a football club is a serious business these days, and whomever fielded that question is probably a talented operator in their field - and then they have to field questions like that from some myopic sod who gets all bent out of shape about colours. Did they change the guernsey colours? No? Well then quit the whining.

Honestly you'd think after winning a glorious back-to-back premiership that we'd have little to whinge about.

Someone asked that at an AGM? That's depressing. Running a football club is a serious business these days, and whomever fielded that question is probably a talented operator in their field - and then they have to field questions like that from some myopic sod who gets all bent out of shape about colours. Did they change the guernsey colours? No? Well then quit the whining.

Honestly you'd think after winning a glorious back-to-back premiership that we'd have little to whinge about.

Well said.
Marketing is about sales - if people have a problem with the colours they won't buy them.

I'm wearing my brown polo today.

Yesterday I wore the blue one at Forest Hill Shopping Centre and got lots of looks and thumbs up!

;)

Your assumptions are off.

If they were talented, they would have done research prior to making the decision.

They would have researched the past history of blue merchandise and noted the hatred and copious complaints from the paying customers.
They would have made a few different designs, some blue, some brown and gold, and then got a few different focus groups of paying customers and other general public people and gauged the preferences of them and based their decision on that.
They would have looked backed through the merchandise sales and seen the profit made from the brown and gold merchandise and the annual increase in profits they make from it.

That's what a talented operator does.

Instead, they've been lazy and been a 'yes' man to the board who, apart from never wearing or buying any of what they're making decisions on, have been trying to make the merchandise blue for a decade and then played the fancy PR game by using words like "new", "exciting", "night navy" and "fresh" to make it appear like it's a good idea. They're also lazy because they know there are plenty of lifeless supporters who will still buy it because they don't understand club culture and think that just having the logo on it makes it Hawthorn and worthy of paying 250% of it's actual value.

Just remember, the logo doesn't make it Hawthorn. Hawthorn is Hawthorn because of the Brown and Gold. The logo has changed many times, but we've been brown and gold for 60+ years now and that's never going to change. The brown and gold was the colour change that made the Hawthorn Football Club what it is today and the blue, which as some have pointed out represents the Maybloom history, is when the club were easy-beats, bottom dwellers and perennial losers of the competition. A talented operator would know this history.

If they were talented, they would have done research prior to making the decision.

They would have researched the past history of blue merchandise and noted the hatred and copious complaints from the paying customers.
They would have made a few different designs, some blue, some brown and gold, and then got a few different focus groups of paying customers and other general public people and gauged the preferences of them and based their decision on that.
They would have looked backed through the merchandise sales and seen the profit made from the brown and gold merchandise and the annual increase in profits they make from it.

Instead, they've been lazy and been a 'yes' man to the board who, apart from never wearing or buying any of what they're making decisions on, have been trying to make the merchandise blue for a decade and then played the fancy PR game by using words like "new", "exciting", "night navy" and "fresh" to make it appear like it's a good idea. They're also lazy because they know there are plenty of lifeless supporters who will still buy it because they don't understand club culture and think that just having the logo on it makes it Hawthorn and worthy of paying 250% of it's actual value.

Just remember, the logo doesn't make it Hawthorn. Hawthorn is Hawthorn because of the Brown and Gold. The logo has changed many times, but we've been brown and gold for 60+ years now and that's never going to change. The brown and gold was the colour change that made the Hawthorn Football Club what it is today and the blue, which as some have pointed out represents the Maybloom history, is when the club were easy-beats, bottom dwellers and perennial losers of the competition. A talented operator would know this history.

Well, you're wrong!

Like you were wrong about Brad Hill

;)

Yes, I'm sure the marketing and merchandising teams looked at stats and market research that showed them that navy polo shirts would tank in sales and thought 'f*ck it, let's do it anyway!!!'.

A quick squiz of the men's polo range online at Hawksnest shows 5 polos for sale - 2 of which are brown. Not surprisingly - the members polo for 2015 is brown. There are two predominantly grey polos also and the aforementioned, and apparently evil, blue one. I actually like the look of the blue one, it looks pretty smart actually. I wear plenty of clothes that have colours that belong to other teams. Funnily enough it hasn't made me any less of a Hawks fan when I happen to wear them.

As I said - they haven't changed the official colours of the team. They haven't changed the guernsey. They simply released a polo that happened to be navy. A polo that is only for pre-season according to the product description too.

Come back to me with the desire to read the marketing team the club history out aloud until their ears bleed when there's an attempt to change the guernsey colours. Then I'll get on board. As it stands - no club compares to our on field and off field success right now - so I'm going to assume the club has hired the right people.

If you think Newbold or the marketing team are in the wrong here though - I invite you to submit your resume to the Ricoh Centre of you feel you can do a better job.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm sure the marketing and merchandising teams looked at stats and market research that showed them that navy polo shirts would tank in sales and thought '**** it, let's do it anyway!!!'.

A quick squiz of the men's polo range online at Hawksnest shows 5 polos for sale - 2 of which are brown. Not surprisingly - the members polo for 2015 is brown. There are two predominantly grey polos also and the aforementioned, and apparently evil, blue one. I actually like the look of the blue one, it looks pretty smart actually. I wear plenty of clothes that have colours that belong to other teams. Funnily enough it hasn't made me any less of a Hawks fan when I happen to wear them.

As I said - they haven't changed the official colours of the team. They haven't changed the guernsey. They simply released a polo that happened to be navy. A polo that is only for pre-season according to the product description too.

Come back to me with the desire to read the marketing team the club history out aloud until their ears bleed when there's an attempt to change the guernsey colours. Then I'll get on board. As it stands - no club compares to our on field and off field success right now - so I'm going to assume the club has hired the right people.

If you think Newbold or the marketing team are in the wrong here though - I invite you to submit your resume to the Ricoh Centre of you feel you can do a better job.

The club has done a lot right of late but that doesn't mean they are immune from getting things wrong.....this is one of them.
Its a ridiculous bonehead idea. Lets celebrate Brown and Gold by wearing blue. WTF

I can't wait to play Carlton or Geelong.....I'll look around and see a crowd of blue. Embarrassing.

I'm a proud Poo and wee supporter...I wear my excrement colours with pride.

Ok, so we have this crazy new marketing campaign where our players are all 'golded' up as 2015 is supposedly about celebrating our colours. I get it... sort of...

142511_brand620.jpeg

So given the focus is on our colours, BROWN and GOLD, why did no one tell Adidas?

View attachment 95202

???
I reckon Adidas decided to do their own thing and the board thought we would but some of this new Adidas gear, personally I wont go near it! A definite disconnect between marketing and merchandise.

If I wanted to wear blue as a supporter I would follow Carlton or North Melbourne any/all team gear of Hawthorn's must be brown and gold.
In WA we get confused with Eagles supporters it doesn't get any worse than that, for the life of me I cant see why they thought this would be a volume seller!

Yesterday I wore the blue one at Forest Hill Shopping Centre and got lots of looks and thumbs up!

;)

Traitor :p

They have the season polo right next to it, that one is even worse with the yellow stripe and grey on the belly torso.
fWlTrtM.jpg

The 2013 polo was great, was essentially the usual Puma polo shirt of the previous couple of years.... but the adidas way (yellow stripes on the shoulders).
In 2014 they kept the same design but it silver elements :mad: (the same stripes, adidas logo that were yellow in 2013 became silver... and they made the underarm section silver as well... truly bizarre0. IIRC the pre-season version of the polo was mostly silver (90%), and I kicked up the same kind of stink about it as I am with the released merchandise list for 2015.

The pre-season polo for 2015 is something I would wear particularly if they removed the grey stripe around the chest area, as I have various Adidas polo shirts in different styles (casual, sportswear etc) and different colours (yellow, red, blue, black, white etc). However I won't buy it or any other shirt because the Hawthorn logo is the only Hawthorn thing on it.

If I desire to get any Hawthorn merchandise in 2015, it will be brown and gold (thus it'll be the typical $40-$50 shirt that's still AFL approved... it just won't have adidas branding on it).

I probably won't buy the 2015 guernsey because that has a really flawed design with the stripes not going all the way past the shoulder and the collar (and I don't look that great wearing it lol). I do concede that the all gold back looks sexy though.

Just wondering - all those so mortally wounded by the blue polo - has the club forced you to buy one and wear it to games? Didn't think so. Is the club denying entry to games next year unless you are wearing the navy polo? Didn't think so.

If it's the affront to Hawks fans that you all feel it is, then I don't think we're going to see a respelndent blue steak through our crowds on game days in 2015.

I have a predominantly white Hawks polo that has a brown V only and. Hawks emblem. When wearing it to games along with my scarf (and brown shoes might I add) I'm yet to have been mistaken for a Collingwood fan.

I think there a lot of mountains being made of molehills here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True points, and in addition to the traditional brown polo... Puma also released a white version as well (no idea why).

I am not going to lose sleep over it, but I still think the decision is wild. The telling sign will be at training day (particularly grand final week). I saw just as many people with "current year" merchandise, but quite a few had their Puma attire from 4-5 years ago as well. I won't be impressed if the is a sea of blue merchandise wearing supporters that clashes with those that still wear the brown and gold.

they know there are plenty of lifeless supporters who will still buy it because they don't understand club culture and think that just having the logo on it makes it Hawthorn and worthy of paying 250% of it's actual value.

How about I wear my blue polo because I like it, not because I am some lifeless supporter. And just to let you know, after following the Hawks for over 45 years, I think I do know about our mighty culture.

I have plenty of gear in Brown and Gold to wear when I choose, and if I feel like wearing blue, I certainly don't need to be lectured to by a fashion Nazi.

At the end of the day, if you don't like to wear blue with a hawk emblem, DON'T.

Getting back to our real colors of Brown & Gold.
I imagine that most opposition supporters don't see those 2 colors but Green!:D
How good is it to be Hawthorn.;)

I can see Ninthmond, Wet Toast & Great Waste of Space releasing Brown & Gold polos with their labels next year, but not because of their marketing department...

B4jzN2ICYAEwgqF.jpg:large

Unsure if this is Hawthorn or Carlton, perhaps they merged

There was blue pre the hawks melbournr doomed merger, and there has been to varying extents ever since

At the time we thought it was a sinister plot !

On grand final day it would be good to see the gold stand out as much as the red of sydney did

I have 2 Brown and Gold polos, 9 various Hawks jumpers, 4 hats & 6 different T-Shirts that I can and do wear to matches (although no games in QLD in 2015) to show our colours. However now I have the new 'blue' polo and singlet and I wear them everywhere, the vast majority of comments are either positive toward the design or completely focused on the Hawks not the fashion....

I must say the Blue pre season media polo look very smart, I'm glad Santa bought me one , I get a lot of positive comments when I wear it,
such as they look great. :thumbsu:

I have 2 Brown and Gold polos, 9 various Hawks jumpers, 4 hats & 6 different T-Shirts that I can and do wear to matches (although no games in QLD in 2015) to show our colours. However now I have the new 'blue' polo and singlet and I wear them everywhere, the vast majority of comments are either positive toward the design or completely focused on the Hawks not the fashion....
I must say the Blue pre season media polo look very smart, I'm glad Santa bought me one , I get a lot of positive comments when I wear it,
such as they look great. :thumbsu:
I must clarify, I got the media one too

However now I have the new 'blue' polo and singlet and I wear them everywhere, the vast majority of comments are either positive toward the design or completely focused on the Hawks not the fashion....

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:D Eh I still think it's a ridiculous idea, but I am not going to lose sleep over what they do with merchandise (until my current brown and gold polo shirts disintegrate from wear and tear over the years and then having to be forced to decide whether to buy a long sleeve guernsey OR a non brown and gold polo shirt).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back