Yeo's spoil/hit on Webster

Remove this Banner Ad

The match after this one is away to North Melbourne in Tassie, you would want to think long and hard about challenging.

Man, you look at some of the actions that led to fines compared to this one...

Looked like a legitimate attempt to spoil IMO, should appeal.

All our hopes are on Priddis again now :D

Seriously, do you think there's any chance Fyfe (or Pendles/Ablett etc.) get suspended for what Yeo did? You see similar almost every week.

I don't see how people think Fyfe is a protected player. His fine was consistent with other tripping charges this year and he was dealt with harshly in the Rischitelli and Jackson incidents.

I haven't seen any replays AND I'm a saints supporter, so perhaps my view is skewed.

However, I was at the game live and the incident happened right in front of me next to the boundary line in real time. The second it happened I was off my seat. It LOOKED (live, at the ground) like a very deliberate and marginally late hit to the head, out of frustration for not making it to the contest. It looked, live, like an unnatural attempt to spoil.

The rules are the rules and if he has to cop a week under these pathetic rules then so be it.
But I am sick to death of accidental contact being penalised with anything other than a free kick.

Looked like a legitimate attempt to spoil IMO, should appeal.

I don't see how people think Fyfe is a protected player. His fine was consistent with other tripping charges this year and he was dealt with harshly in the Rischitelli and Jackson incidents.
I don't think he's a protected player in general. But the narrative of the Yeo one was always that he was in trouble, I don't think it would be the same for the big names of the competition. Someone in the running for a Brownlow would never get pinged for that. It's pathetically soft.

Off the saints site "Jimmy Webster was subbed off at half-time with concussion due to a swinging elbow from Elliot Yeo" - no wonder the medical report was bad haha.

That's not correct. He came back on the field after the Yeo incident. He did receive a blood nose from it, but players receive blood noses all the time and don't get rubbed out.

One of these is a strike worthy of suspension.

Also, when you compare to the Merrett one above or even the Waite one from last week (which got deemed rough conduct despite being far later), this is a truly ludicrous ruling. Medical report is a joke, numerous sources have him off due to some friendly fire, and if he was in such poor shape why didn't they activate the concussion policy and appropriate substitute?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that he's been cited we're pretty much ****ed. Common sense would've been to not cite him, but that isn't the currency of the MRP.

Contact was made to the head, and whatever degree of impact you call a blood nose (in this case medium) did occur.

I like to apply the Preliminary Final rule to it. If this happened in the Preliminary Final would he be playing the following week? Absolutely.

Last year Merrett was left of for this when he was never going to get the ball. Had no angle at all on the footy.

This time Yeo had a line on the footy. He was incredibly close to getting the perfect spoil and his coach would want him to back himself. I think it's a bad call.

Last year Merrett was left of for this when he was never going to get the ball. Had no angle at all on the footy.

This time Yeo had a line on the footy. He was incredibly close to getting the perfect spoil and his coach would want him to back himself. I think it's a bad call.

If butterface Websters nose didn't explode on contact it would have been the same result.

From the MRP statement:

Contact between the Sydney Swans' Jarrad McVeigh and Hawthorn's Will Langford from the first quarter of Saturday’s match was assessed. Langford has the ball and is preparing to handball to teammate Luke Breust as McVeigh approaches to tackle. As Langford disposes of the ball, McVeigh makes high contact to the Hawthorn player in his tackling motion. A free kick was not paid for the high contact to Langford at the time but it was the view of the panel that McVeigh’s action was a tackling motion and not a striking action. No further action was taken.

How was this considered a tackling motion and Yeo's was considered a striking action? Langford disposed of the ball WELL before McVeigh caught him. Absolute farce.

If butterface Websters nose didn't explode on contact it would have been the same result.
Pederson left the ground bleeding, like Webster did.

I just cannot for the life of me see how this is deemed a 'strike' by the MRP. What about the action constitutes that a strike and not a spoiling attempt? There aren't two motions and he's going directly at the ball.

McVeigh just got let off for what the MRP deemed an attempt at a tackle. I'm not going to comment on that, but Langford didn't even have the ball, so I'm not sure why McVeigh was 'tackling'.

From the MRP statement:

Contact between the Sydney Swans' Jarrad McVeigh and Hawthorn's Will Langford from the first quarter of Saturday’s match was assessed. Langford has the ball and is preparing to handball to teammate Luke Breust as McVeigh approaches to tackle. As Langford disposes of the ball, McVeigh makes high contact to the Hawthorn player in his tackling motion. A free kick was not paid for the high contact to Langford at the time but it was the view of the panel that McVeigh’s action was a tackling motion and not a striking action. No further action was taken.
That is truly ******* laughable!

Pederson left the ground bleeding, like Webster did.

I just cannot for the life of me see how this is deemed a 'strike' by the MRP. What about the action constitutes that a strike and not a spoiling attempt? There aren't two motions and he's going directly at the ball.

McVeigh just got let off for what the MRP deemed an attempt at a tackle. I'm not going to comment on that, but Langford didn't even have the ball, so I'm not sure why McVeigh was 'tackling'.
Pedersen had a broken nose requiring surgery to fix it as well. So it should be all even.
Yep, can see that at the end of the video I quoted. Just seemed like that would have been the one step over the line. All random decisions with no actual thought though I guess.

What an absolute farce of a verdict, I'll be annoyed if West Coast don't appeal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back