Yoga

Remove this Banner Ad

It's impossible to suck at yoga.

This is very true! My first yoga instructor always told us that everyone has their own version of each pose. If you can't do it there is bound to be a variation that you can do...

Anyone tried Bikram yoga? It seems like a wanky fad but I found a great offer for cheap classes so I'm going to check it out.

I just started about a month ago going about 3 times a week. Ive also heard that its a fad and the sauna aspect is unnecessary but at the least I find it much more challenging than standard yoga which I really like. Noticed I've been able to have a much better sleeping pattern and from a gym prospective none of my lifts have decreased. Give it go imo :thumbsu:

I've had a bad experience with it about 6 years ago and then on reflection i don't like anything about it.

My bad experience was in Richmond, it was in the middle of summer on a 42 degree day. Technically they should have had the air con on in order to lower the temperature to the Bikram std of 38 degrees. However they had the heaters on. Needless to say half way through i couldn't take any more so left and went to the female change rooms to cool down. Anyway the MALE instructor followed me into the chg rooms and told me to go back to the class. I wouldn't go back and it kind of escalated into a weird exchange where he was getting really pissed off because i wouldn't go back into the class. I had to explain to him that i knew my body and i know that it was not handling that amount of heat. He eventually left the change rooms very pissed off that i wouldn't go back with him.

Anyway at the end of the class (i waited as i had friends doing it) we had to collect out belongings and the instructor and the other staff were as cold as ice to me. They were obviously very angry that i "disobeyed" their wishes and made out i was invisible. They behaved like they were part of a cult.

I adore yoga and love every second of the classes that i do. I feel fantastic for doing them. I hated every second of Bikram, the whole class felt like torture (i've done a few Bikram classes) and from my experience the staff running the show have uninviting personalities.

I've just stumbled upon this thread when having a look around BF-so glad I did, and to know that other BF's enjoy yoga!

I :hearts: yoga so much since starting it a year ago. I've tried a few different types, but love traditional Hatha yoga the best-the mind/body connection is awesome. I've never felt so supple and flexible either!

I agree with others here that it's important to find the 'right' space-gyms are a no-no for me to practice in-too loud & busy.

Ill enjoy popping back in to see how others are going :thumbsu:

Yes i'm a yoga snob when it comes to yoga classes at the gym. I like to practise yoga in a beautiful environment and a gym is anything but. Part of the reason i'm not a gym junky is because i'm noise sensitive and can't stand the music that's played in gyms. Not only that but you don't need a qualification in yoga or pilates in order to run classes at a gym. The teachers are often just 'giving it a go' off the general vibe of what they think yoga and pilates is. There's alot to learn in order to teach people how to do the postures correctly. You really need intimate knowledge on the ways that people misinterpret the posture in order to correct them. Even if you're qualified to teach there's massive variation in the quality of teachers.

Having said that the teachers at the place i go to are off the charts amazing. I love them. :)

Well, really, what the hell do i know?

One of my favourite yoga teachers has joined a gym and keeps raving and raving about the classes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yoga has helped my so much.

I feel more relaxed, have a better posture and greater flexibility. I often do yoga when I'm travelling as I don't need equipment or a fixed time.

I should do more lessons though as I would like to expand my range of exercises.

I'm doing a two week trial, starting this afternoon, at a hot (not Bikram) yoga studio down the road. It's my first foray back into yoga since my hip surgery...fingers crossed I get through it unscathed! I'll no doubt be sore tomorrow, but I'm always sore after exercise these days :(

Was it power yoga?

I know a power yoga teacher because he stays with me when he's in melbourne (absolute delightful guy). Anyway he's given me a complimentary pass which i've been meaning to use.

Not power yoga no. I did a warm class, not a hot class. It's about 27 degrees. Enough to get a bit sweaty but not enough to feel unwell. Going again this afternoon! :D

i've never understood the whole hot yoga thing. i do what is my best interpretation of Ashtanga yoga and im knackered and sweating by the time the class finishes.

couldnt imagine getting through that in a 27 or 40 degree room. i'd collapse halfway through.

i've never understood the whole hot yoga thing. i do what is my best interpretation of Ashtanga yoga and im knackered and sweating by the time the class finishes.

couldnt imagine getting through that in a 27 or 40 degree room. i'd collapse halfway through.

I'm with you on that one. I don't like it either. It seems like a bit of a gimmick.

I was invited by my girlfriend's best friend to yoga, for the first time, and the class was Ashtanga. I got 35 minutes into it and I thought I would be able to finish the whole hour.

I persevered, only to find out the class was 90 minutes. Oh god I was so sore for days afterwards!

I was invited by my girlfriend's best friend to yoga, for the first time, and the class was Ashtanga. I got 35 minutes into it and I thought I would be able to finish the whole hour.

I persevered, only to find out the class was 90 minutes. Oh god I was so sore for days afterwards!
Yep, the 90 minute classes are killers! Today's only an hour, thank god. My arms are a bit noodley from yesterday! Very excited that I can still do crow pose though, haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back