Work & Education you pick one's spelling and grammar thread

Remove this Banner Ad

First timer here what have I been missing ?? Don't answer that. Have read it all through.:)
Castle ........ so Carstle or castle as in catsle ?? NSW/Adelaide say the former, and Victorians the later , or is that just me? :)
and one that comes up . pool . Pronounced pool as in ewh or pool as in pull ?. Not commenting on the age discussion( yet ) :)
Most of country Vic and depending on whereabouts in Melbourne that you were educated, from my experience half of Melbourne say "caastle", whereas the more "toff" private school educated Melbournians say "carstle". ALL South Aussies say carstle, as well as darnce, charnce and many other words totally different to the rest of the country.

People from NSW do say "tewl", "skewl" etc. and they also wear their cossies to the swimming pewl.

Queenslanders wear togs to the swimming pool though, but they seem to want constant validation when doing anything, or referring to something as they feel the need to add "aye" to the end of every sentence. An example of this could read something like this: "Oi mate, d'ya see me go past last night in me new ute... it goes pretty good, aye?".

Most of country Vic and depending on whereabouts in Melbourne that you were educated, from my experience half of Melbourne say "caastle", whereas the more "toff" private school educated Melbournians say "carstle". ALL South Aussies say carstle, as well as darnce, charnce and many other words totally different to the rest of the country.

People from NSW do say "tewl", "skewl" etc. and they also wear their cossies to the swimming pewl.

Queenslanders wear togs to the swimming pool though, but they seem to want constant validation when doing anything, or referring to something as they feel the need to add "aye" to the end of every sentence. An example of this could read something like this: "Oi mate, d'ya see me go past last night in me new ute... it goes pretty good, aye?".
Yes there seems to be a dotted line north whence one crosses one has to append "ay?" to the end of any sentence. Quite intriguing. Maybe they all have tinnitus... ay?

Didn't make it clear that I was born and bred in NSW and spent a lot of time in Adelaide as a child, before moving to Vic.I say "Carstle,but I did wear swimsuit or bathers to the pool, rhyming with fool :) And yes, I , in the few times have been in Q'land , listen for the first use of "aye" :)

I think your carstle-caastle summary sounds about right, Strangled. Do you think the South Aussies have more of an recent English influence? ie- did the toffy Poms migrate there later, as opposed to the more Eastern staters having a convict influence?

I call togs "togs", being a Victorian, but I think they're called "bathers" over here in WA. I didn't realise that Queenslanders also called them "togs"

I thought that appending "hey" to their sentences was a FNQ thing and hadn't realised it was Qld-wide.

Yes there seems to be a dotted line north whence one crosses one has to append "ay?" to the end of any sentence. Quite intriguing. Maybe they all have tinnitus... ay?
Do you notice different accents in your travels, allrighty? My cousins in Adelaide all seem to have a slow drawl, whereas I speak quite fast (surprise, surprise! ;)).

I think your carstle-caastle summary sounds about right, Strangled. Do you think the South Aussies have more of an recent English influence? ie- did the toffy Poms migrate there later, as opposed to the more Eastern staters having a convict influence?

I call togs "togs", being a Victorian, but I think they're called "bathers" over here in WA. I didn't realise that Queenslanders also called them "togs"

I thought that appending "hey" to their sentences was a FNQ thing and hadn't realised it was Qld-wide.
Not "HEY" :) But "AYE" :)

Do you notice different accents in your travels, allrighty? My cousins in Adelaide all seem to have a slow drawl, whereas I speak quite fast (surprise, surprise! ;)).
Yes very noticeable. SA is the one I pick immediately (and it's similar to WA), but is distinctive. And I can't imitate it.

I was talking with a South African guy a couple of years ago, and I asked him if he was Zimbabwean not a Saffer. I was right! Probably a fluke as there is only a minor difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes very noticeable. SA is the one I pick immediately (and it's similar to WA), but is distinctive. And I can't imitate it.

I was talking with a South African guy a couple of years ago, and I asked him if he was Zimbabwean not a Saffer. I was right! Probably a fluke as there is only a minor difference.
If you meet enough people and compare new accents to others, you won't be too far off with guessing where people have come from. I used to know a fair few English accents but seem to have lost the knack of pinpointing locations these days- I don't work much with Poms anymore. And Kiwis- I can usually only tell if they're from the North or South.

Oh- and we have a lot of Portugese/Sth African parents at our school. They all sound the same! :D

If you meet enough people and compare new accents to others, you won't be too far off with guessing where people have come from. I used to know a fair few English accents but seem to have lost the knack of pinpointing locations these days- I don't work much with Poms anymore. And Kiwis- I can usually only tell if they're from the North or South.

Oh- and we have a lot of Portugese/Sth African parents at our school. They all sound the same! :D
"Where did you pork your core?"

South Aussies pride themselves as being the most cultured state in Australia, owing to their "only freely settled British province" mantra, which they love to peddle to eastern staters.

I don't recall people in Vic calling bathers "togs". I just called 'em boardies, budgie smugglers or bathers/swimsuit/bikini etc.

South Aussies pride themselves as being the most cultured state in Australia, owing to their "only freely settled British province" mantra, which they love to peddle to eastern staters.

I don't recall people in Vic calling bathers "togs". I just called 'em boardies, budgie smugglers or bathers/swimsuit/bikini etc.
Might just be where I was brought up, too- the Vics are a funny lot. Sometimes it depends on which side of the river you've been brought up, as to which words you use or what accent you have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back