Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2013 - A Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melbourne had committed to Viney too. I don't think clubs try to actively screw eachother over.

Wouldn't surprise if North went for Josh Kelly with their first pick. Effectively making it two father/son picks, plus he'd arguably be the best available. Although you're right, someone like Salem or even Dumont would be an improvement over some of the recycled players North brought in.

The clubs showed last year with the Viney saga that they do not play games with draft picks especially early picks. McDonald will only be nominated by other clubs if he is genuinely worth that pick and he is what they want. I cannot comment on his likely draft worth - I will leave that to Chris, KM etc. It will give North supporters lots to talk about (and lots of hope he is not nominated) pre draft as it did with MFC supporters last year with Viney.

I have north finishing 11th, so pick 8 (ladder predictor).
Hard to say how results will end up.

Would be a steal in the 2nd rnd though.

See AFL ranking of games to come. Saints have the hardest ranked draw while North's is pretty tough as well. MFC, Bris and bullies fairly easy.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-24/suns-coasting-
North are a lot better team than those other 3. They nearly beat Geelong, Hawthorn etc. They will win quite a few more games. Starting with a big win this week. We'd be one of the teams that is making their draw "tough" and they've had the wood over us over recent times.

I am officially on the Harvey Band wagon from what I saw today. He hits the packs really hard. The biggest surprise today packet today was how good Harvey is. The other surprise for me was the skill level of Riley Knight
Harvey in being looked at by a lot of clubs. Whilst he isn't exactly mobile, he is big, can clunk marks and will smash a pack well. He also has plenty of ruck experience and could pinch hit in that role. One big game against Vic Metro or WA could see him shoot right up. At this stage I can't see him dropping below 30.
Riley Knight has really risen quickly. The knock on him has been skills, but anyone still using that hasn't watched him this past 12 months. He has worked hard on improving that area and it shouldn't be a concern anymore. Knight is just a competitive beast. Reminds me a little of Rory Sloane. Not the best player in the comp, but refuses to be beaten. He's also already at an elite fitness level and ultra professional. He will get picked up, probably in the late 2nd/early 3rd round.

Won't get any arguments from me there, I've said the same about Knight in other threads. As for Harvey, I'm more just trying to downplay the hype more than anything else. If I was after a big full forward and missed on Boyd, he'd be my target. Have said that all year, and Harvey has done nothing but improve during that time.

This is gaining legs with North supporters atm. Would obviously be a huge win in what's turning out to be a pretty disheartening season. But there remains the fact that North have committed to him, it's probably seen as more of a free hit for those clubs below us. However, there is still that inherent risk, the further down the ladder we go, we could pass, and the clubs miss out on who they really want.

I hadn't really considered any of the top prospects, as I never thought we were in with a chance for them, now im considering it a bit more.

I think Bontempelli, Sheed and Salem would be pretty good fits.

Unfortunately I think the dogs would probably take the risk. He's the type of player we need if Boyd is gone at our pick.

I was going to mention this at some point. I'm not convinced that North will be forced to use their first pick on McDonald. Obviously, the closer to the bottom they finish, the more likely he slips through to their second round pick. But I don't consider him a clear step above the likes of Kelly, Lennon and Crouch. And I'd have him below the top guys in Boyd, Aish and Scharenberg. He looks to be one of a number of players who would be rated anywhere from 5-10ish. My post-Championhips update will likely feature him in the second round.

I personally wouldn't take Dunstan if I were the Bulldogs, and I wouldn't take him that early either. I'd probably look towards Lennon or Bontempelli personally. They just have that extra size and versatility. Could even go early on Garlett, he is just what you guys could use. The rest looks good, even though its unlikely Marsh is available at that pick.

It keeps changing, and depends on whether I include my personal favourites or not. Scharenberg, Aish and Boyd would be the top three. At the moment I'm liking Lennon and Dumont, but that could just as easily be Kelly or Crouch. Bontempelli and Salem have also featured at times. Today's top 5 likely won't be the same in a weeks time.

Yoda_

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I note Snoop is a big wrap on Logan Austin from NSW/ACT, particularly his size, athleticism and the fact that he can 'kick it a mile'; can you tell me anything about him? Is he more of a KPF or KPD?

Logan Austin
Beconnen, 195cm, 85kg, 8/7/95
"A versatile utility who can play back, forward or through the midfield. Logan has developed well over the last 24-36 months, and looks a really good prospect for his size. The fact he can switch between all three spots makes him a rare commodity with his athleticism."

Hey Chris

Have you monitored Byron Sumner the left footer that was on Sydney list ?
How his form in SA and how would he go for a wce as a small back pocket does he have the pace
and defensive skills to play that game. ?

With the impressive performances of a couple of KPFs today, I might post my top 5 of the key positions tonight - forwards, defenders and ruckmen. Seems like it might be relevant.

Hey Chris

Have you monitored Byron Sumner the left footer that was on Sydney list ?
How his form in SA and how would he go for a wce as a small back pocket does he have the pace
and defensive skills to play that game. ?

I was really keen on Sumner last year, watched him a fair bit. I haven't been quite as impressed this season. Although I haven't watched quite as much of the seniors this year either. So that might explain that. His defensive work is improving, not sure he is ever a true shut down back pocket but he is combining his attacking and defensive game fairly well at the moment. I still like seeing him use the ball coming off the back flank and up on a wing though. Still a rookie option for me. Would have Marlon Motlop ahead of him though.

And I will keep mentioning him until I'm blue in the face, but Sean Lemmens is a genuine option for that type of player too.

Hey Chris can you give me a list of the quickest players for SA by your thinking ?

You've got the small crumbing forwards like Dwayne Wilson, Zac Bates and Orazio Fantasia. Liam Jacka is another one who didn't make the U18 squad, but has good pace. Otherwise, two midfielders with surprising pace are Nick Favretto and Ryan Djiksman. Favretto in particular may well be the quickest of the SA boys who'll get a combine invite, runs the 20m in under 3 seconds which isn't bad for a 188cm/88kg guy.

I think if the draft goes you have predicted the Bulldogs are more likely to take
Pick 5: Luke Dunstan
Pick 24: Jonathan Marsh
Pick 42: Jonathan Freeman
pick 60: Lloyd Perris (didn't see him on the list, I reckon doggies would give him a shot if Sydney don't)
Do you think this is possible Chris25

yeah... swans are pretty much committed to perris.

Time for some position rankings? Maybe we'll start with the key defenders. They aren't quite getting the attention they deserve yet. Seems the only one people know about is Darcy Gardiner. But there are others, I promise...

1. Darcy Gardiner
2. Cameron Giles
3. Daniel McStay
4. Cain Tickner
5. Tom Cutler
6. Alex Spencer

Should be no surprises at who is at the top of the list, and Gardiner could easily end up going inside the top 10. And personally, I then consider Giles to clearly be the next best and I would have a fringe first round grade on him. For someone his size, what he can do both offensively and defensively is very impressive. I have no doubt people are sleeping on him.

And it's for similar reasons to Giles, as to why I have McStay and Tickner so high. McStay in particular is almost an unknown on here, but he is an excellent size and can play at either end. He is also quite athletic and a strong mark, think he could end up having an Alex Johnson like early impact. And while Tickner hasn't been quite as impressive this season, his work on the ground is midfielder like and that's no small feat for a 195cm KPP.

Rounding out the list are another couple of Vic Metro defenders. Cutler would be higher if he were a tad bigger. Just can't really see him holding down the full back position, and he looks like being more of a third tall. And for that, he'll have to improve his rebounding game a bit. While Spencer has been really solid at full back so far in the Championships, not quite as impressive offensively as a Giles or McStay, but always seems to do his job.

Might as well take a look at the players that these key defenders are matching up on. Once again, everyone is clamouring for the top key forward but there are a number sticking up their hands for selection in the 15-30 range...

1. Tom Boyd
2. Darcy Hourigan
3. Cameron McCarthy
4. Mitch Harvey
5. Jonathon Marsh
6. Dallas Willsmore

No surprises of course with Boyd at #1. I'm fairly confident someone will trade with GWS for the top pick, with the intention of selecting the big forward. I'd rate him on par with Patton and below Hogan, so if there were no trading partners he would likely slip to #3. But that wont happen. Far too important a player to sit back and hope will slide.

For that true full forward target, the next best for me are McCarthy and Harvey. I've been raving about Harvey all year, and noted McCarthy to be the WA player to watch during the Championships, and neither have let me down. Wouldn't surprise me if Port Adelaide and Fremantle were to seriously consider their local boy in the first round, chances are neither would get a chance if they waited for the second round. Both players are genuine big forwards with strong hands. And while both are athletic and good on the ground (McCarthy particularly) neither are really that rotating ruckman/forward. Which is probably why I like them so much.

And then you've got the slightly smaller guys in Hourigan, Marsh and Willsmore. I've long said that height is very overrated. Not every forward needs to 200cm, some of the best in the game are under 193cm. And I don't really care that defenders are apparently getting taller. Every team needs a second or third target up forward. But having said that, Hourigan is a true target up forward. He is strong and leads very well, has a bit of Darling/Pavlich about him. Marsh could end up being the second player from this list taken, it's just that he has more to offer in other areas of the ground - as well as being a forward. While Willsmore is similar to Hourigan, just being a touch smaller and a tad more athletic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back