Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liam Duggan
Height: 183cm
Weight: 76kg
Position: Midfielder, Defender​

Before now, I've largely looked at the some of the lesser known players and later round picks but it's time to look a bit closer to the top of the draft. And from a surprisingly talented Western Jets side (you don't say that very often) the best is Liam Duggan. He's had an interesting couple of months in terms of what people are saying about him. From a consensus top 10 pick prior to the Championships, now the likes of Callum Twomey and Jon Anderson haven't included Duggan in their early top 20 lists. So of course, people are jumping on that and proclaiming him to be a second round pick and not as good as first thought. But that doesn't bother me. Duggan was and still is one of the best midfielders in the draft. And yes, he's a midfielder.

Firstly, I think there is come confusion when it comes to the type of player that Duggan is. A lot of the talk around him is about him being a defender, but he is much more than. Yes, in the TAC Cup last year he played across half back. And it's a role he played again for Vic Metro in four of his five games in the U18 Championships this year. But in the TAC Cup this year, he has taken his game to a new level and that's by moving into the midfield - and into a genuine inside midfield role. It's back to the future for Duggan, as midfield is where he made his name in the U16s.

And a possible reason as to why he has dropped off in some people's minds, is because his final two matches in the U18 Championships were not quite as good as his first three - and as they were the televised games, that's what people will remember. But Duggan was consistent through all matches, and was able to show off a number of different skills and attributes. In the opening round, Duggan finished with 17 touches - 11 of which were contested. In Round 3, he finished with a huge 10 tackles. And across all five matches he played, Duggan finished with a disposal efficiency of around 75-80%. His 2014 TAC Cup season has been both consistent and excellent. Playing in the midfield, he has shown a good ability in close and is a better contested player than he gets credit for. Yes, there is still room for improvement and he doesn't compare to the absolute best clearance players in the draft but he can hold his own. The other pleasing aspect of his season to date is with his ability to push forward. And in one game in which Duggan was battling injury, he went forward and kicked 3 goals.

Duggan's disposal is a strength of his, both by foot and hand. He has shown himself to be a good kick over both short and long distance, and it's no surprise that Vic Metro were so keen to have him across half back. I'd rate him in the top handful of players when it comes to foot skills. His tackling pressure is another real positive to his game, whether he's down back or in the midfield he is always on the move and chasing down opponents. All in all, Duggan just does most things well.

In terms of weaknesses, I don't think there are a lot of major ones. You could argue that he is just good, not great in a lot of areas. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. His kicking isn't quite as good under pressure, but that's true of most players. Otherwise, he is a little like Heath Shaw as a defender. He can be shut out of the game when his opponent takes away his space and run, and last year his best performances came when his team was playing well. And that's one reason that I like him more in the midfield, he can work himself into the game and not worry so much about a direct opponent.

Personally, I still have him as one of the better midfielders in the draft and would be comfortable with spending a top 10 pick on Duggan. It seems like more than anything else, it's simply a case of some taller midfielders creating interest as opposed to Duggan falling away. But he is a versatile player, and capable of playing both an uncontested and contested game. He probably wont ever get there strength wise, but his game isn't too unlike that of Jimmy Bartel - Brownlow Medal aside of course.

I've seen a little, but nothing that made me go back and watch more. He's a 200cm, 100kg 19 year old playing against opponents much smaller than him. Maybe someone takes him as a rookie, purely for size and marking. But he'll need to prove he can perform at a higher level and against better opposition before I'd be taking him.

Obviously I saw him last year before his injury. He's still being talked about as a top 10 pick for a very good reason. Even with missing the entire 2014 season, he'd probably still be regarded as one of the safest picks. A natural leader who should hold down the CHB spot for a long time to come, he has a good balance to his game and doesn't really have any major weaknesses. He would no doubt be in the mix for Carlton, as well as a bunch of midfielders.

Which midfielders do you have at carltons likely draft range, also depends which key talls slide down

Declan Hamilton
Height: 183cm
Weight: 68kg
Position: Midfielder​

One of the bigger surprises to come from not only the South Australian side, but the U18 Championships as a whole, was the form of Declan Hamilton. The nephew of football legends Darren and Andrew Jarman, Hamilton wasn't part of the initial SANFL U18 Academy which was picked towards the end of last year. It was only because of his form at the start of this season that he forced his way into the fold, and he never looked back having played in every game for South Australia.

Unlike a lot of players who are splitting their time between school, club and higher academies, Hamilton has been a fixture of the SANFL U18 scene over the past two and a half years for Port Adelaide. Playing U18s as both a 16 and 17 year old, he has moved into the Reserves side this year - and it was his form here which saw him get a late call up to the SA side. For the Magpies, Hamilton played largely across half back and spent a bit of time in the midfield rotations on a wing. Consistently finishing with 20+ disposals, Hamilton was also able to kick more goals than he has in past seasons. So that was the form which saw him named in the Championships squad, but it's there where he really took his game up a level. Having switched positions, Hamilton was again allowed to run up the ground and play through the midfield but he started largely off of a half forward flank. The idea being that they could use his constant run to impact more plays, and his skills would be best utilised in finishing up front. And it obviously worked, because he was in All Australian form over the first four weeks before unfortunately dropping off a little in the two final televised games. In that first month, Hamilton was averaging just under 20 disposals a game at an efficiency of around 80%. But those last two games, saw his disposals drop to 12 a game with his efficiency around 60%. And the biggest thing was his 6 recorded clangers in those last two games, compared with 0 from the first four. It seemed to almost coincide with the form of Caleb Daniel, with Hamilton no longer being such a focus. But regardless of how it ended, he was still one of South Australia's best players and showed that he is more than just a Jarman nephew.

I think one thing that will draw recruiters to Declan Hamilton, is his versatility. He has proven himself down back, up forward and through the midfield. What I really like, is when a relatively skinny player can still impact on the clearances. It's all well and good for these 90kg midfielders to be racking up the clearances and contested ball, but when a 68kg kid does it it suggests there is something more to his game. And while Hamilton was only getting 1 or 2 clearances a game, he certainly showed something in close. And in terms of his disposal, his handballing is a feature. He has really quick hands even when under pressure, and can set up the play with some of his handballs. At times though, it looks to be his first preference when perhaps he should be kicking. Although I think a lot of that is because he is quite a selfless player, seems to be one of those who is more interested in an assist than a goal himself. As for his kicking, I would say it's neat - not elite. He doesn't make many mistakes, but he isn't the most powerful kick going around - 50m would be his limit.

I said before that he loves the goal assist more than the goal, and part of that may be his goal kicking. His set shot technique isn't exactly textbook. To get this far, it obviously works for him. But I can see an AFL club trying to tighten it up a bit. Because at the moment, his body almost looks to fall away to one side while he runs in the other way. Otherwise, Hamilton is usually good at picking the high percentage play but occasionally does try to force the play a bit too much. Maybe that's just the Jarman coming out in him. But in terms of his athleticism, he is good not great in terms of speed. Although he does have a good engine. And as his body develops and he puts on more muscle, his overhead marking game should develop even further.

There has been lots of talk about South Australia winning the U18 Championships, but not having many players considered early draft picks and Hamilton is exactly one of those players. For all his good performances, he still isn't really seen as a first round pick. He does have a bit of Troy Menzel about him, but in terms of his draft position I'd consider it somewhere around the second to third round - not unlike Essendon's Zach Merrett.

Again, thanks to Skippos. Unfortunately, it's largely footage from his the two televised games, which weren't his best.​

Keenan Ramsey
Height: 193cm
Weight: 86kg
Position: Defender, Forward​

Another one of the lesser known and unheralded players from South Australia, but a large part of the reason that they ended up winning the whole thing, is key position player Keenan Ramsey. And he is another player you could make a strong case for as being worthy of All Australian selection. Just looking at the team, you could easily have moved a few players around - with Brayshaw going into the midfield, McGuiness to a back flank and Vickers-Willis being named in the back pocket to play that third tall defender role. And suddenly there is an opening at full back, which is what Ramsey probably deserved.

Lets start with a background, because that's what will probably interest people the most. Some of you may have read the article, and Ramsey does indeed only have the one eye. He was diagnosed with retinal cancer as a two year old, and now has a glass eye. But you wouldn't know from watching him play, and the SA coach Brenton Phillips said he watched him play for a year without even knowing. And it's really not a weakness at all, as he has never played football with two eyes. So he doesn't know any different.

But back to football, Ramsey is a talented key position player and can play at either end of the ground. In the SANFL for Port Adelaide, he has played largely up forward. For his school, he has been running through the ruck. And for South Australia, he was of course the #1 tall down back. As always, we'll start with his SANFL form - because I haven't seen any of his school matches. Last year in the U18s, Ramsey finished with 16 goals from his 11 games but started the 2014 season in the Reserves and his strong frame has seen his continue that form. Over his first three matches, he was averaging 15 touches and 7 marks. In his fourth match, he was quieter but still had 6 tackles. And over a two week period, Ramsey had 11 shots on goal - although he only converted for 5 goals. Come the U18 Championships, and Ramsey moved into defence. Not just playing a role down back, but really taking charge and full credit to Brenton Phillips for going with Ramsey. I certainly didn't pick it.

One of the first things you notice with Ramsey is his size. Listed at 192/193cm, I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit that 195cm mark - which oddly seems to be the cutoff for some people regarding whether someone can be successful or not. But otherwise, he has a very strong build and has the frame that will allow for further growth. He just looks like a KPP. As a forward, he leads strongly and is good overhead. He tends to look better up around the CHF spot, as opposed to playing out of the goal square. Down back, I again like him around CHB more than one out at full back. He reads the play well, and has shown he can zone off to help out his teammates. But no matter where he plays, he has surprisingly good foot skills for someone his size and also tackles really well. That willingness to do the little things probably comes from his mindset that he needs to work harder than everyone else, to overcome the cards he has been dealt. It's a massive positive trait for a KPP.

In terms of weaknesses, there isn't anything major really. It's more just a case of how he develops. There are plenty of solid talls who either don't get drafted, or just don't make it at the top level for whatever reason. One thing that will probably see him drop down is a lack of real elite qualities, that separates him from the top group. He doesn't have the same speed, athleticism or pure dominance of other KPPs. It'll just be a matter of how he develops.

When it comes to his draft range, he's one of those hard ones to place - it's always hard to pick what clubs will do with talls. But he has shown similar to what Cameron Giles did in his draft year, and he went at #39 to Carlton. So anywhere around the third round is what I'm thinking at the moment. And ideally, you'd be looking for a similar development to that of Steven May from the Gold Coast.

hey mate sorry if someone has asked this already but whats the go with these 4, mainly interested in isaiah miller and conlon. cheers

Conlon has only just returned from injury in the TAC Cup, with Hourigan doing the same in the SANFL abotut 6 weeks ago now. Hourigan has shown good signs, but may need longer before he gets another look in. As for Conlon, I'm sure everyone will do their medicals again. Will have to wait and see how he finishes the year.

Miller moved from Bendigo to Williamstown in the VFL this year, and has played primarily in the seconds. I like him, but probably needs to crack the seniors on a regular basis first. Although I would still take him, based on how I rated him last year. And Wilson is the same, has shown good signs in the SANFL Reserves but hasn't made the league side yet. Hard to get drafted from there.

Which midfielders do you have at carltons likely draft range, also depends which key talls slide down

Depending on where they finish, Carlton could arguably have their pick of the midfielders - with the exception of probably Petracca. Personally, I'd be going small unless one of Wright, McCartin or Durdin was available. I know the Marchbank bandwagon is building steam, but it would be too early for me considering the other talent available. Better to take the second best midfielder, rather than the fifth best tall.

Would be hard to go past Angus Brayshaw, simply being the most complete midfielder and Carlton need pretty much everything in their midfield. Otherwise, I still rate Duggan and Weller. Along with the rapid rise of Ahern and DeGoey.

Edward Vickers-Willis
Height: 190cm
Weight: 82kg
Position: Defender​

If there is one thing AFL fans seem to love more than anything, it's players with hyphenated names and it's something that this draft is full of. And the best of them may well be Ed Vickers-Willis from Sandringham. The versatile tall is slowly climbing the draft boards after an impressive U18 Championships for Vic Metro saw him claim the full back spot in the All Australian side. But he is so much more than just a full back.

I know a few people have questioned his spot in the All Australian team from the U18 Championships, but that is solely around positioning as opposed to whether or not he deserved it. While he missed the opening match, Vickers-Willis then went on to average 16 disposals at over 80% efficiency, along with 4 marks and 3 rebound 50s a game. As with what seems like a lot of players, his best two games came early in the tournament before the matchs were televised. In Round 3 against Vic Country he finished with 25 disposals, while the next week against South Australia Vickers-Willis recorded the 16 disposals at 100% efficiency. But as I said, he didn't really play as a full back - despite being named there in the All Australian side. More of a third tall defender, he played further up the ground around the CHB spot pushing both up into the midfield as well as down back to give his teammates a chop out. Without a doubt, that's his best role. But, it's not all he can do. In his handful of TAC Cup games over the past two years, Vickers-Willis has done most things. Last year, he tended to play the more dour roles down back with the occasional moment up forward. But this year for Sandringham, he has been awarded the chance to stretch his legs a bit more in the midfield - with stints both on a wing, and in the guts. Three games in the bests to start the season put his name in lights and got people thinking about what could be for the 190cm Vickers-Willis.

As I wrote before though, it's the back lines in which I see Vickers-Willis forging his career. Teams may be tempted to develop him as that tall midfielder, but I think it would be wasted. Players like Fyfe, Macrae and Bontempelli may have gone from underage utilites to AFL midfielders but it's not as simple as that. Vickers-Willis doesn't quite have the same natural ability, speed or that one thing that sets him apart. A hard working and clean player, his game is just best suited to defence.

Vickers-Willis reminds me a bit of Michael Johnson from Fremantle, although a little shorter. He has a similar skill set and similar strengths. As that hard to match up on third tall defender, he is equally as good in the air and on the ground. He reads the ball well as it's coming in, and is a clean mark above his head. He also knows when to spoil though, and does seem to get a hand in right as it's needed most. On the rebound, he is a good player to have the ball in the hands of. Like Johnson, he isn't the quickest but makes the right decision and knows where the gaps are. And again, like Johnson, he has an awkward kicking style that seems to work for him - as seen by his efficiency during the Championships. But for all the talk of his kicking, his handballing is his biggest strength and more often than not it is his first choice. And when needed, Vickers-Willis has proven himself in a more defensive role. He just works hard, and sticks to his task - be it an offensive or defensive one.

As I project him to be a defender, not a midfielder, I suppose his versatility may be a slight area of weakness. But with the importance of that rebounding tall defender nowadays, teams are drafting specifically for that position and willing to do so quite high. You could question how his kicking technique will hold up under AFL level pressure - particularly as he does lack a yard of pace. But it's working pretty well for him at the moment. His biggest area of weakness is simply that he doesn't really excel in any one particular area. He is good and clean at most things, but doesn't have that one attribute that makes you stand up and take notice.

So, the all important draft position? It seems a lot of people have him going around #20 at the moment, and for me that would be the absolute top of his range. Similar to the likes of Tom Cutler and Kamdyn McIntosh from previous years, somewhere closer to the 30-40 range seems about right to me.

Chris, you were somewhat keen on Joshua Glenn last year.
Do you think he'll nominate for the draft? If he does, would he get drafted?
I haven't followed him much this year, but I thought he was impressive last year.

Chris, you were somewhat keen on Joshua Glenn last year.
Do you think he'll nominate for the draft? If he does, would he get drafted?
I haven't followed him much this year, but I thought he was impressive last year.

I have no idea whether he nominates, only he knows that.

But if he does, and teams were convinced about his desire and commitment, then he could easily sneak into the back end of the first round. His 2014 season has been just as good as 2013, if not better, with his move further up the ground. Easily the best 'mature age' prospect in the country.

Alex Neal-Bullen
Height: 182cm
Weight: 77kg
Position: Midfielder​

Pop quiz! Which 2014 draft prospect led all of his peers at the U18 Championships for total clearances? Was it one of the big bodied, All Australian midfielders in Christian Petracca, Angus Brayshaw or Connor Blakely? Or was it perhaps the small and unheralded South Australian midfielder, Alex Neal-Bullen? Considering who this profile is about, I think it's pretty obvious. He might not have much of a bandwagon on BigFooty, but this ready made small could have a big impact next year.

After a 2013 season spent in the SANFL reserves, Neal-Bullen made his SANFL league debut for Glenelg in the opening round of the 2014 season and remained there until a minor foot injury kept him out in Round 4. For Glenelg, Neal-Bullen played primarily across half back with the occasional stint in the midfield. For an 18 year old against much more senior opposition, he performed really quite well - 15 disposals a match, along with 5 marks, 2 tackles and 2 clearances a game. He quickly established himself as a small defender, but playing for South Australia in the U18 Championships he would go back to his customary midfield position - where he went on to average 20 disposals, 5 clearances and 4 tackles a game and was arguably South Australia's #1 midfielder. And by ticking off defender and midfielder this year, Neal-Bullen can now lay claim to being a true utility - having also spent time in past seasons as a small forward.

From a purely athletics standpoint, endurance is Neal-Bullen's obvious strength. Come the draft combine, I'd expect him to finish top 10 in both the beep test and 3km time trial. And he uses it well on the field too in getting to contest after contest. Otherwise, it's his football brain which is perhaps his biggest advantage. In the midfield, he is a really smart player and he is one of those players who looks better in close and under pressure. He can read the gaps better than most, and just has that knack of getting the ball through to one of his outside receivers. He's been likened a few times to Lenny Hayes in that regard and it's not too far off. He obviously doesn't have the same size, but his work in close is similar and whether you notice him or not, Neal-Bullen always seems to be one of the leading possession winners on the ground. Otherwise, his work across half back for Glenelg will hold him good stead while his 4 goals at the U18 Championships also helps to display his potential versatility at the next level.

But other than not having the ideal size for the modern midfielder, why is Neal-Bullen not considered to be a first round pick? After all, every team needs a good inside midfielder. Well, cleanliness isn't always highly regarded next to players with elite attributes and seemingly unlimited potential. And Neal-Bullen is just that classic, smaller midfielder that teams are moving away from. He doesn't possess line breaking speed, and he wont be pinpointing bullet passes over 50m. If you were to look purely at statistics, then his U18 Championships disposal efficiency of around 55% probaly doesn't look that great. But at a guess, it's probably not too different to what most inside midfielders in the AFL are going at. When half of your possessions are under pressure, it's only natural to be going at a lower rate than the loose man across half back.

And while his style of play may compare slightly to Lenny Hayes, I feel it's a tad unfair to compare him as a whole to one of the better inside midfielder's we've had over the past decade. So, that's why I'll be going with Fremantle's Lachie Neale as a player comparison. They share a lot of similar traits, and perhaps similar draft ranges - although the extra 6cm that Neal-Bullen has should see him closer to the 40-50 range come draft day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Glenn
Height: 179cm
Weight: 78kg
Position: Midfielder, Defender​

Time to have a look at the top mature aged prospect in the country, and in my opinion there is no doubt that it's 20 year old Josh Glenn from Central Districts. Most people will probably remember his story from last year, so I'll just touch on it again briefly. In 2012, Glenn quit the Central Districts U18 team for a couple of different reasons and returned to Division 4 football for Elizabeth. Clearly too good to be playing at that level, Glenn was invited back by Central Districts to train with them prior to the 2013 season. And from there, he cemented a spot in their SANFL League side and won the competition's Rising Star award for last year. That was rewarded with a Draft Combine invite and a guaranteed selection in the national draft, but of course Glenn then went on to decline and did not nominate for the draft at all. It was sounding like Paul Marschall all over again. There was a lot of talk about why he would do that, including that he didn't want to leave South Australia. But he has since explained that he is committed to making a career at the top level however he did not feel the time was right having come from Division 4 football just the previous year. Well, his 2014 season so far has been even better than his 2013 one. So it's hard to argue that it wasn't the right decision for him.

But back to 2013, and Glenn made his mark in the SANFL across half back. As a 19 year old, he played 21 games to average 17 disposals and, as I said before, win the SANFL Rising Star award. It was pretty easy to see why so many clubs nominated him for the draft combine, as he already looked the part of an AFL defender. He was tough and strong defensively, while also providing a lot of run and carry off of half back. But it's with ball in hand that he was at his best, extremely composed for a 19 year old and a long and strong kick of the ball. He won his Rising Star nomination for his Round 6 game against Port Adelaide in which he finished with 15 disposals and 2 goals at 78% efficiency. But the next week against Sturt was arguably his best with 35 possessions and 13 marks across half back. For some reason, people love to compare any defender who can kick a ball to Matthew Suckling from the Hawks. It's a strange obsession. But it's a comparison you can actually make with Glenn, just a shorter version. Pushing up the ground, Glenn showed that valuable skill of being able to kick long goals on the run.

Last year, he pushed up the ground from half back and did spent a bit of time as a small forward too but in 2014 he has made the move into midfield. Just yesterday, he was BOG in Central's win against West Adelaide with a 29 disposal, 7 marks, 5 clearance, 9 inside 50, 1 goal 3 behind game. And Glenn has been named in the best players in 6 of his 11 games this year. It's definitely been a good move, the further up the ground he is, the more valuable his touches are. He's also shown through the middle that he can win his own ball, which is what separates him from a lot of those other half backs who are best suited to playing loose and uncontested football.

So I think I've covered most of his strengths in all that - calm, composed and smart with ball in hand. He picks the right option, and executes well with his kicking. He also has that good mix of contested and uncontested ability. It will largely be a case of how he develops from here and adjusts to the next level, because there are no massive weaknesses in his game. And you could argue there would be some question marks over his commitment, although he is saying all the right things at the moment. But there is no reason to think he couldn't do it, given what he has shown at SANFL level. At worst, he should find a home as a small defender similar to Steve Morris from Richmond - but I would be surprised if that's as far he made it.

The closest (recent) draft comparison I can think of is Zak Jones - a similar size, he was a first round pick at #15 playing as a defender/midfielder. The obvious difference is age. Jones was 18, Glenn is 20. But, Glenn has shown more at league level than Jones did at U18s. So how far down does someone get marked for being slightly older?

Kyle Langford
Weight: 73kg
Position: Forward, Defender, Midfielder​

There are so many of these tall, but skinny utility types coming through the U18 competitions in the last few years that they really aren't all that unique anymore. It seems as though every year, we're talking about what position they are best suited to and whether their games can translate to the top level. Well, Kyle Langford is another who will no doubt interest clubs with his versatility and potential.

Langford's 2014 season so far has been nothing short of excellent, he has really stepped up his game from last year - both in terms of pure impact on a game, as well as consistency. In 2013, he showed enough signs to suggest he could be a player of the future but he never really put it together for long enough. Playing as more of a third tall at either end, he was in and out of games as a 17 year old. But his first month in the TAC Cup in 2014 (before the U18 Championships) was the best football he has played by far. He kicked 11 goals from his first three games, including two hauls of five in back to back games. And that was as more of a half forward, pushing up onto a wing and through the midfield. Langford averaged around 18 disposals, 8 marks (2 of which were contested) and 5 tackles a game. It was a really good display, and showed exactly what clubs would have been expecting from a player of his ability. But for Vic Metro, Langford saw his role in the team change up a little bit. Instead of being that third tall forward pushing up to the wings, he became that third tall defender pushing up to the wings. And it's a role in which I thought he showed a lot of promise. Averaging around 14 disposals and 4 marks a game, Langford provided some nice run off of half back while also being given roles on some of the more dangerous opposition forwards. His best game came in Round 1, when he was matched up against Tom Lamb from Vic Country. Langford arguably had the best of him, before being moved further up the ground in the last quarter.

Just to change things up, I'll start with Langford's weaknesses. Immediately from the start of this profile, his numbers jump out - 190cm, but just 73kg. He has a light frame, so may need some time to fully develop in the weight room. Sometimes with these skinnier types, it's always hit and miss as to how they develop. Will they thrive like Nat Fyfe, or will they struggle like Josh Bootsma? But that's the risk you take when you draft them, all you can do is sit and wait. Otherwise, he hasn't shown much of a contested game at all. At the U18 Championships, about 85% of his diposals were uncontested and even in the TAC Cup when he is in the middle he plays almost exclusively on a wing. This is likely to be linked in with his light frame, but it's something to consider when looking at Langford as an AFL prospect.

But the positive, is that he has a lot more strengths than he does weaknesses. I'll add at the top, that while he doesn't win much contested ball, he does tackle quite well. So it's not as though he is just a soft player all round. But probably his biggest strength, is his marking. It's always a positive when these skinny players have sticky hands. In one on contests, he isn't the greatest obviously. But if he can avoid getting into a wrestle and run at the ball, he'll mark more than he drops. And just showing off his ability in the air, as a defender he showed a knack for getting his long arms in for a spoil at the right moment. And it's just the versatiltiy and athleticism as a whole that makes him such an attractive draft prospect.

So where does Langford fit in with similar utility types from previous years? Is he more Marco Paparone or Jonathon Marsh? Personally, I tend to think he will go earlier in the draft with a range of around 20-30. He has shown more in regards to being able to play defined roles than some others, and his combination of both versatility and natural talent should interest a few teams - he may divide clubs, but I can see a few having him quite high up on their lists. And I think Langford has shown more than enough already to suggest he is worth a shot, and I would expect a similar sort of role and stats to that of Andrejs Everitt at Carlton.

Kyle Langford

There are so many of these tall, but skinny utility types coming through the U18 competitions in the last few years that they really aren't all that unique anymore. It seems as though every year, we're talking about what position they are best suited to and whether their games can translate to the top level. Well, Kyle Langford is another who will no doubt interest clubs with his versatility and potential.

Langford's 2014 season so far has been nothing short of excellent, he has really stepped up his game from last year - both in terms of pure impact on a game, as well as consistency. In 2013, he showed enough signs to suggest he could be a player of the future but he never really put it together for long enough. Playing as more of a third tall at either end, he was in and out of games as a 17 year old. But his first month in the TAC Cup in 2014 (before the U18 Championships) was the best football he has played by far. He kicked 11 goals from his first three games, including two hauls of five in back to back games. And that was as more of a half forward, pushing up onto a wing and through the midfield. Langford averaged around 18 disposals, 8 marks (2 of which were contested) and 5 tackles a game. It was a really good display, and showed exactly what clubs would have been expecting from a player of his ability. But for Vic Metro, Langford saw his role in the team change up a little bit. Instead of being that third tall forward pushing up to the wings, he became that third tall defender pushing up to the wings. And it's a role in which I thought he showed a lot of promise. Averaging around 14 disposals and 4 marks a game, Langford provided some nice run off of half back while also being given roles on some of the more dangerous opposition forwards. His best game came in Round 1, when he was matched up against Tom Lamb from Vic Country. Langford arguably had the best of him, before being moved further up the ground in the last quarter.

Just to change things up, I'll start with Langford's weaknesses. Immediately from the start of this profile, his numbers jump out - 190cm, but just 73kg. He has a light frame, so may need some time to fully develop in the weight room. Sometimes with these skinnier types, it's always hit and miss as to how they develop. Will they thrive like Nat Fyfe, or will they struggle like Josh Bootsma? But that's the risk you take when you draft them, all you can do is sit and wait. Otherwise, he hasn't shown much of a contested game at all. At the U18 Championships, about 85% of his diposals were uncontested and even in the TAC Cup when he is in the middle he plays almost exclusively on a wing. This is likely to be linked in with his light frame, but it's something to consider when looking at Langford as an AFL prospect.

But the positive, is that he has a lot more strengths than he does weaknesses. I'll add at the top, that while he doesn't win much contested ball, he does tackle quite well. So it's not as though he is just a soft player all round. But probably his biggest strength, is his marking. It's always a positive when these skinny players have sticky hands. In one on contests, he isn't the greatest obviously. But if he can avoid getting into a wrestle and run at the ball, he'll mark more than he drops. And just showing off his ability in the air, as a defender he showed a knack for getting his long arms in for a spoil at the right moment. And it's just the versatiltiy and athleticism as a whole that makes him such an attractive draft prospect.

So where does Langford fit in with similar utility types from previous years? Is he more Marco Paparone or Jonathon Marsh? Personally, I tend to think he will go earlier in the draft with a range of around 20-30. He has shown more in regards to being able to play defined roles than some others, and his combination of both versatility and natural talent should interest a few teams - he may divide clubs, but I can see a few having him quite high up on their lists. And I think Langford has shown more than enough already to suggest he is worth a shot, and I would expect a similar sort of role and stats to that of Andrejs Everitt at Carlton.
Hi Chris, I have also followed Langford for a while, and a couple of points if I may just having had a look at the taccup record. He is born December 1996 meaning he would have played all of 2013 as a 16 year old and this year 2014 he will play as 17 year old ( full year) . I also see he is a private school boy , meaning he possibly missed Taccup games due to school footy. I just saw some of his highlites on taccup future stars and he has clean hands and runs hard with agility. From memory he played or started on Tom lamb in the round 1 VM vs VC- would he compare against Lamb going into the draft favourably or who else is similar. I'm a dogs tragic and and could see him float from wing through half forward with good marking and ball use . Your further thoughts- and I love your overall commitment to the cause

Kyle Langford

He really needs to work on his disposal and decision making if he is to be drafted. His good work in the championships was undone by his clangers.

Wouldn't mind seeing one on Durdin. Want to hear about what he's done to have gotten the wraps he has prior to this season, as he only showed bits and pieces at the champs (I was really impressed with his overhead marking in their 2nd last game though). Has he kicked bags of goals in junior footy in previous years, for instance?

Gore and Watchman will definitely be done, along with Durdin. I'll get most, if not all, of the South Australians finished soon enough. I'll look to bump Keitel up the list too, you can all see why I prefer him as a defender soon enough.

He really needs to work on his disposal and decision making if he is to be drafted. His good work in the championships was undone by his clangers.

I deliberately left out of his kicking, because I didn't know where to put it. I don't necessarily think it's a massive weakness. His disposal as a whole was ordinary in Round 1 of the Championships, but he did improve after that. There is certainly a lot more room for improvement, but it isn't enough to put a black mark through his name. To me, it's not a strength or weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back