Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burton is the obvious one. For me, he's clearly the most talented forward in the draft - more so than Schache and Weideman. Pre injury Burton was just as good as pre injury Stringer, and I don't see any reason why (provided there are no mishaps with the leg) he couldn't be at a Stringer or Gunston level. He's a good mark, strong with his body and moves well around the ground. Still a top 10 talent easily for me.

Otherwise? Maybe not a lot in this draft, leaving out Schache and Weideman who'll go in the top 8 or so picks. For natural forward ability, I'd go with Harry McKay and Himmelberg. Then it's a bit of a drop off, probably to Matthew Allen next.
So do you see Hipwood as a forward or defender? Callum Twomey thinks he's a top 10 player in this draft and probably the best player that has come out of our Academy what teams do you see bidding on him.

So do you see Hipwood as a forward or defender? Callum Twomey thinks he's a top 10 player in this draft and probably the best player that has come out of our Academy what teams do you see bidding on him.

I wrote this yesteday...

My only problem with Hipwood is what role he plays. He doesn't look like a forward to me, seems more comfortable down back with the play in front of him. But whichever end of the ground he ends up at, I think he'll be more of a third tall. Lachie Hansen is the comparison I'm going with. Hipwood could be a very good roaming tall and intercept mark down back. But I personally prefer the likes of Weideman and Collins.

The most intriguing role for me would be as a Ryder type ruckman. But I'm not sure Hipwood has the game for that either.

I'd bid somewhere around 15-20, but on draft day I see him going closer to the 8-12 range.

Hi Chris,

How do rate Hipwood compared to H.Mckay? Both have similar attributes/abilities. Who do you see as having the higher ceiling? And Who do you see as a safer bet?

Cheers

My only problem with Hipwood is what role he plays. He doesn't look like a forward to me, seems more comfortable down back with the play in front of him. But whichever end of the ground he ends up at, I think he'll be more of a third tall. Lachie Hansen is the comparison I'm going with. Hipwood could be a very good roaming tall and intercept mark down back. But I personally prefer the likes of Weideman and Collins.

As a lions supporter I agree with your views on Hipwood. The only part I disagree with is seeing him at back but that is more to already having Andrews down back and they are similar players IMO. Supposedly at the combine he was measured around the 202/3cm mark and with his speed and agility good for someone of his height I think that in the future he will play that third tall forward role in the same mould of David Hale.

What are the chances bombers draft could be (presuming Parish is gone at 3)
4. Aaron Francis
5. Sam Weideman
24.Luke Partington
25. Jade Gresham
57.Mitch Brown
80. Gach Nyuon
98. Daniel Coghlan
116. Shaun Mckernan (rookie elevation)

4. Aaron Francis
5. Sam Weideman
24.Luke Partington
25. Jade Gresham
57.Mitch Brown
80. Gach Nyuon
98. Daniel Coghlan
Very slim chance. The draft is way too unpredictable to forecast picks, and you even have a caveat on pick 4. May as well put up lottery numbers.

You may be right with the last pick though.

Hi Chris,

How do rate Hipwood compared to H.Mckay? Both have similar attributes/abilities. Who do you see as having the higher ceiling? And Who do you see as a safer bet?

Cheers

I suppose I view them a bit differently, given I think Hipwood projects best in the back half whereas McKay is the forward. If I had to say, I'd go with Hipwood as being the safer bet - because he has the extra versatility, and should at the least be a decent third tall type. But McKay would have to have the higher ceiling. I'm gradually coming around to him, I've probably been harsh so far with him comparing quite well to Daniher.

4. Aaron Francis
5. Sam Weideman
24.Luke Partington
25. Jade Gresham
57.Mitch Brown
80. Gach Nyuon
98. Daniel Coghlan

What are the chances? No idea, but never say never.

Personally, I find it unlikely Gresham is available there. And I probably wouldn't take both him and Partington - I'd either take someone with extra size like a Dunkley or extra speed like Cunningham. Just for a point of difference. In terms of ruckman, my choice would be Flynn over Nyuon too. Both for immediate impact and forward ability.

Updating the actual draft seemed like a lot of work, so I just added my big board back into the opening post. I don't think anything really changed in the top 50. This close to the draft, you should have your rankings fairly well settled. I did add my favourite mature aged players too, mostly talls this year. I don't like many of the midfielders.

Don't be greedy, one Academy player is enough

Brisbane and GWS are lucky enough to have a number of Academy prospects this year. The Lions have Keays and Hipwood who seem to be improving their stocks as the season progresses, while the Giants have both Hopper and Kennedy as first round chances. And that's not even factoring in some of the other options such as Himmelberg, Williams, Flynn and Cornell. But it's the early picks that can change the whole draft.

For the Lions, matching first round bids for both Keays and Hipwood would wipe out their whole draft. And potentially affect their chances of drafting Allison in 2016. So they might need to make a call between the two. And if it comes to that, they should decline to match the bid on Hipwood. Young defenders Clarke, Andrews and Gardiner are players to build around while McStay arguably looks better down back. And assuming Schache goes to Brisbane with one of the first two picks, their forward line is suddenly looking much more settled. They could then use the draft picks they would have used on Hipwood, to fill more pressing areas of need such as small and medium forwards. While Keays settles into the midfield.

As for the decision facing the Giants, it's much more simple. They just don't need both Kennedy and Hopper. As good as they are, they're similar players and the Giants are stacked for midfield talent, while they may be more interested in saving some picks for their other Academy prospects later. So who do they take? For me, it's Hopper. The more dominant inside player, who also has a younger brother in the Academy too. Who knows if he'll develop into a prospect too, but just in case, they should keep the Hopper's happy. Although having said that, they could easily trade for more picks to afford both Hopper and Kennedy.

Posted this in July, do you still feel this way after the players finished off the year and the trade period played out? I reckon both clubs will be absolutely thrilled to bring in the respective duos of Hopper & Kennedy and Keays and Hipwood for what they'll pay for them.

Posted this in July, do you still feel this way after the players finished off the year and the trade period played out? I reckon both clubs will be absolutely thrilled to bring in the respective duos of Hopper & Kennedy and Keays and Hipwood for what they'll pay for them.

I suspect how the trade period transpired and the picks the clubs now have in hand probably affect his opinion now. ;)

Pretty much as dlanod said, the trade period really changed things. I certainly didn't expect the point value trades, which made being able to match bids much easier. GWS will have no trouble matching bids for any of the Academy players really - they also traded out a number of players, meaning they now have a need for such midfield talent. And Brisbane in particular was able to bring in a number of players, which means they can afford to spend big on just the two Academy players. My initial problem was that they needed list depth, and couldn't get that with just Keays and Hipwood. But they got that through trade week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris25 - What can you tell me about Clint Hinchcliffe?

19 year old, former cricketer now focusing on football. Reminds me a little of Byron Schammer, only small but generally goes in fairly hard and can win the ball in close. Knows where to position himself and is good by hand. Hinchliffe has a better looking boot on him than Schammer did, but I don't think he's as effective as he perhaps should be - a bit like Suban, I don't think his decision making by foot is always the best. Needs to build his tank and become a more attacking option, but should get drafted.

Hey Chris25 this article popped up on the Dockers board just wondering if you could give your views on the players mentioned.

http://m.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-p...-andrew-gallucci/story-e6frf3e3-1227615661989

Mitch Brown you've probably said enough on him already so
Elliot de Grice
Tom Gordon
Nick Rippon

Cheers

I'm not convinced Brown will be the best value, I think a club will have to go early and take him inside the top 40 at worst. I can't help but feel that will be a little early. He'd be able to play round 1, but I think ultimately he develops into a Silvagni like fringe player. We'll see. I personally would rookie list Christian Buykx-Smith and Matthew Uebergang.

Elliot le Grice is one I liked in his draft year, slightly short at 192cm but played at both ends. He was a good runner as an 18 year old and good above his head too, but didn't have the physicality or body strength needed. I think that's improved this year, and he was consistent in the VFL. Not my first choice as a possible rookie, but wouldn't be awful.

As for Nick Rippon, he'd just be able to play straight away. Depending on where you got him, he'd be good value as immediate depth. Guess he'd be slightly different to what Fremantle already have, being a relatively smaller midfielder and more contested as opposed to some of our more outside players. Would probably like to get on the scoreboard a little more often and improve his kicking a touch more.

Did you really rate Tucker & Balic that high? How did they slide to Freo's picks?

Based on your rankings, you'd have to be ecstatic with Freo's picks?

Cheers

I'm pretty happy with how it went. I didn't even go back and edit my rankings after the fact, I did have Balic at #10 and Tucker at #12. Neither player really reached the heights that were expected of them in 2015, I think that's why they managed to slip through to Fremantle's picks. But my rankings tend to value pure talent over the long term as well as potential, rather than those who develop late - hence why I rated them higher than Clayton Oliver who went much earlier. I like the players who stand out as 17 year olds against older opposition players.

Collins and Yarran will be good picks too, ready to step in from Round 1. I tend to leave mature aged players out of my drafts, it's just what I've always done. I like the Yarran pick though. Realistically, no tall forward available would have been our saviour. But with Yarran, it gets us another avenue to goal. Taberner, Apeness and a resting ruckman will be good enough to create contests in the forward half. We now have the dangerous forwards around them to capitalise.

1. Richmond draft Oleg Markov
2. Chris25 is compelled to become a tigs member
3. ???
4. Profit?

I wouldn't go that far. But it certainly makes Richmond more watchable for me. Whenever I saw them play this year, I always thought they lacked any real speed or point of difference. Markov might need a year or two, but hopefully he becomes that player for Richmond.

I'm pretty happy with how it went. I didn't even go back and edit my rankings after the fact, I did have Balic at #10 and Tucker at #12. Neither player really reached the heights that were expected of them in 2015, I think that's why they managed to slip through to Fremantle's picks. But my rankings tend to value pure talent over the long term as well as potential, rather than those who develop late - hence why I rated them higher than Clayton Oliver who went much earlier. I like the players who stand out as 17 year olds against older opposition players.

Collins and Yarran will be good picks too, ready to step in from Round 1. I tend to leave mature aged players out of my drafts, it's just what I've always done. I like the Yarran pick though. Realistically, no tall forward available would have been our saviour. But with Yarran, it gets us another avenue to goal. Taberner, Apeness and a resting ruckman will be good enough to create contests in the forward half. We now have the dangerous forwards around them to capitalise.

So what did u think of our new rookie picks Chris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back