Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see you rate these players so highly! Would you mind explaining why you rate them so much? None feature in my top 20.

I'm sure most wouldn't feature in anyone's top 20. But it's where I personally rate them, as opposed to predicting the draft outcome. As I've written many times, I consider Tahana the best defensive prospect in quite some time. I've watched him for a number of years, and he's just about as good as they get. He isn't flashy, he isn't a game changer. But he's a solid long term prospect.

On the complete opposite side of things, we have Ah Chee and Agius. Two supremely talented players, probably two of the most purely talented players in the draft. Ah Chee gets a lot of unfair criticism for not being a midfielder, but he can win a game off his own back in the forward line. As for Agius, there's a chance he might never put the performance and potential together in one. But if he does, he could be absolutely anything from an elite medium forward to a big bodied midfielder. There are big question marks, but talent is one. And I'm always happy to give a talented player a chance.

Last year, I was very keen on Jackson Nelson. I had him in my top 20 basically all year, even if nobody shared my opinion. And I consider Tom Cole a similar player. Good size, and he has been productive off half back this year. He just snuck in ahead of Parsons and Clarke, but I'm sure he'll be sticking around in my top 20 for much of the year.

Jamie Hampton looks a nicely put together midfield player in the northern territory squad Chris has he come under notice at all?

One for next year is Hampton. I probably haven't seen enough of him to really comment yet, but his size alone is a positive. Not too many quality NT prospects are above the 185cm mark. The problem is that when you're playing for the NT and you're that height, you almost always get forced to play taller than you should. Hopefully he gets the chance to make his mark in the midfield.

Hampton and Frank will be very interesting players for NT next year, perhaps Olango too if he develops well. Their best prospects this year are Ferreira, Hagan and McKenzie in my opinion.

Whats your thoughts on hinchliffe??
Strengths/weaknesses

I named him as one of my ten 19 year olds to watch about 3 weeks ago. Looks a good inside midfielder, smart in close and can win his own ball. It's been pleasing to see him go forward and kick some goals. Before he started doing that, I thought he was a little too vanilla. Just another solid small midfielder, but if he can start getting a goal or two a game then it definitely makes him more appealing. A rookie chance for mine at the moment, but could be a handy one to develop in any number of roles.

I really rate what I have seen of Greg Clark, but most have him rated 12-20, why is it you have him at #7?
- I was kinda hoping he would slide to CFC 2nd pick and he and Paddy Cripps form a midfield dynasty from WA for the next 15 years.

To answer another poster, yes it is Greg Clark and not Ryan Clarke - despite what popular opinion is at the moment. I just like what he offers in terms of potential and attributes to work with. He is an excellent size for a midfielder, there's no denying that. And although he has looked quite good across the half forward line, I feel like he is a genuine midfielder. As opposed to someone who you're trying to convert.

He looks reasonably well balanced for mine, he's not someone who gets 100% of their ball in contested situations but isn't solely an outside player either. Probably closer to a Bontempelli than Cripps, not that I'm comparing him to either mind you. Athleticism and running ability is a strength, it's his general work rate that wins him most of his touches. I feel like he could tighten up his kicking though.

I mainly have him higher, because I think he could develop into a really good midfielder. Whereas others, like Ryan Clarke for example, I think may be more complimentary pieces - despite his obvious attraction as a junior.

I thought I'd go the big board approach before the Championships starts, then change to an actual mock draft. Like always, my rankings tend to differ from others because I value different types and attributes. I've added some comments after each group, which helps to explain that a bit...

The Big Board

1. Jacob Weitering (195cm, 90kg defender from Dandenong)
2. Aaron Francis (192cm, 89kg utility from West Adelaide)
3. Callum Mills (186cm, 73kg midfielder from North Shore)
4. Callum Ah Chee (182cm, 71kg forward/midfielder from South Fremantle)
5. Darcy Parish (181cm, 72kg midfielder from Geelong)
6. Darcy Tucker (184cm, 78kg midfielder from North Ballarat)
7. Greg Clark (193cm, 82kg midfielder from Subiaco)
8. Ryan Burton (190cm, 79kg forward from North Adelaide)
9. Kieran Collins (193cm, 94kg defender from Dandenong Stingrays)
10. Josh Schache (199cm, 96kg forward from Murray Bushrangers)

I agree with the general consensus that the top 2 is looking fairly settled with Weitering and Francis, however I'm not on board the concrete top 3 with Schache. He's worked his way into my top 10 on the back of his performances to date, but I don't like him as much as some of the other young forwards in the league. Not yet at least. And while I hate player comparisons, he shares a few similarities with Jesse White...

Otherwise, not much has changed for me. I think the biggest strength of this draft class is the tall defenders, and I could easily have Collins inside my top 5. He's gone from strength to strength, but I thought I should get some midfielders in there somewhere.

11. Jacob Hopper (186cm, 82kg midfielder from North Ballarat)
12. Stephen Tahana (183cm, 79kg defender from North Adelaide)
13. Luke Partington (180cm, 75kg midfielder from Norwood)
14. Matthew Kennedy (187cm, 84kg midfielder from NSW/Collingullie)
15. Josh Dunkley (189cm, 85kg midfielder from Gippsland Power)
16. Harley Balic (186cm, 80kg midfielder from Sandringham)
17. Charlie Curnow (191cm, 95kg forward from Geelong)
18. Rhys Mathieson (185cm, 79kg midfielder from Geelong)
19. Keiran Agius (187cm, 84kg forward from North Adelaide)
20. Thomas Cole (185cm, 76kg midfielder from Bendigo Pioneers)

Compare my list with others, and the names that are probably popping out here are Tahana and Agius. Most have gone off them, but I've seen a lot of them and my opinion hasn't changed. Tahana is the best small defender I've seen in the underage system, and Agius is as talented as anyone. I'm not sure either get picked inside the top 50, but I like them a lot and think they could be two of the better players from this crop.

Not much has changed with this group either really. I still like my big bodied midfielders, and Kennedy has worked his way up and is looking like one of the best. Size is one reason why I have Partington lower than others, despite my South Australian bias. I don't think he is quite the elite athlete that some are making him out to be, and I've always thought he was productive than damaging. Not that that is really a knock on him.

21. Ben Keays (183cm, 78kg midfielder from Morningside)
22. James Parsons (189cm, 79kg midfielder from Eastern Ranges)
23. Ryan Clarke (186cm, 84kg midfielder from Eastern Ranges)
24. Sam Weideman (196cm, 91kg forward from Eastern Ranges)
25. Jade Gresham (177cm, 74kg midfielder from Northern Knights)
26. Nick O'Kearney (181cm, 71kg midfielder from Calder Cannons)
27. Riley Bonner (187cm, 75kg utility from West Adelaide)
28. Oleg Markov (187cm, 78kg forward/midfielder from North Adelaide)
29. Sam Skinner (197cm, 96kg defender from Gippsland Power)
30. Nicholas Coughlan (195cm, 83kg defender from Murray Bushrangers)

Two 19 year olds are featuring here. I think most people would remember how much I liked Markov last year, someone really should have rookie listed him. He'd have been a project for sure, but he has so much talent and natural athleticism. While I really rate Coughlan and his development as a defender has taken him to the next level. He showed particularly good signs in his VFL debut.

31. Harry McKay (200cm, 85kg forward from Gippsland Power)
32. Callum Moore (193cm, 85kg forward from Calder Cannons)
33. Jake Sushames (185cm, 65kg midfielder from North Launceston)
34. Will Snelling (177cm, 68kg midfielder from West Adelaide)
35. Jordan Dawson (188cm, 80kg forward from Sturt)
36. Matthew Nunn (180cm, 75kg midfielder from Norwood)
37. Matthew Flynn (200cm, 99kg ruckman/forward from Narrandera)
38. Levi Ridley (183cm, 74kg midfielder from Swan Districts)
39. Maris Olekalns (180cm, 70kg midfielder from North Adelaide)
40. Cameron Hewett (189cm, 76kg midfielder from North Adelaide)

We're starting to get into the next group of talls now, the ones where we're looking at potential as opposed to dominant performances. But McKay ticks a lot of boxes despite being so raw, while I still like the 19 year old Moore and what he could offer as a third tall forward. The other one is Flynn, who I consider the best ruckman in the draft and a capable forward too.

As for the midfielders, guys like Nunn, Snelling and Ridley are the smaller but more productive midfielders. The type who I always undersell, because they aren't flashy enough for my liking. I'm trying to give them more credit now though.

41. Wayne Milera (182cm, 71kg midfielder from Central Districts)
42. Kade Stewart (180cm, 67kg midfielder from South Fremantle)
43. Tim Sullivan (199cm, 90kg ruckman from Glenelg)
44. Harrison Himmelberg (192cm, 84kg forward from Eastlake)
45. Bailey Rice (184cm, 81kg defender from Dandenong Stingrays)
46. Nash Holmes (180cm, 74kg midfielder from Gippsland Power)
47. Yestin Eades (183cm, 80kg midfielder from North Ballarat Rebels)
48. Aidyn Johnson (184cm, 75kg midfielder from Bendigo Pioneers)
49. Eric Hipwood (197cm, 82kg forward from Aspley)
50. John Shaw (177cm, 75kg defender from Swan Districts)

I'm still the only person who seems to like Himmelberg, but oh well. I'll stick by him. He's had a very good season, and there is absolutely a role for him at the next level. Hopefully he gets a chance at the U18 Championships, the 19 year old rule could hurt him though. Eades is another who isn't getting much love, but the kid has talent. Shaw too.

I seem to be becoming a little more critical of the South Australian players this year, because I'm not necessarily seeing the Milera hype. I think he's a good player, but with limited midfield potential at AFL level while not being a natural crumbing forward. He's talented, skillful and always has plenty of time. But I'd suggest he was closer to Leroy Jetta than Lewis Jetta.

51. Dylan Smith (198cm, 81kg from Swan Districts)
52. Jordan Snadden (190cm, 79kg midfielder from East Fremantle)
53. Kyle Presbury (182cm, 73kg midfielder from Central Districts)
54. Mitchell Hibberd (191cm, 85kg midfielder from Clarence)
55. Brendan Dew (178cm, 66kg midfielder from Central Districts)
56. Josh Minogue (189cm, 80kg forward from Murray Bushrangers)
57. Hugh Haysman (177cm, 72kg midfielder from West Adelaide)
58. Daniel Houston (187cm, 83kg forward from Oakleigh Chargers)
59. Mason Redman (184cm, 77kg midfielder from Glenelg)
60. Dylan Atkins (199cm, 88kg ruckman from Sandringham)

The final 10 names meanwhile are just a mixture of a bit of everything - there are big key forwards, tall prototype midfielders and third talls. I think Hibberd will catch a few eyes for Tasmania once the Division 2 games start. His size and run should be valuable, in that Kolodjashnij/Thurlow role that Tasmania love so much. Snadden may have the most potential of this group though.

And when in doubt, add more South Australian. Guys like Presbury, Dew, Haysman and Redman might not be more than depth players at AFL level, but they're all solid contributors and would make a team better.
no ryan clarke?

The final 10 names meanwhile are just a mixture of a bit of everything - there are big key forwards, tall prototype midfielders and third talls. I think Hibberd will catch a few eyes for Tasmania once the Division 2 games start. His size and run should be valuable, in that Kolodjashnij/Thurlow role that Tasmania love so much.
Good call on Hibberd, Chris :thumbsu: Cal Twomey just said Hibberd might be starting to sneak in to the top 20 prospects now on the back of his work for Tasmania. Recruiters seem to love players his size who can play midfield.

Last edited:
Good call on Hibberd, Chris :thumbsu: Michael Abblett just said Hibberd might be starting to sneak in to the top 20 prospects now on the back of his work for Tasmania. Recruiters seem to love players his size who can play midfield.

Thanks. You just reminded me to move him up the order too, I've got him at 33 at the moment. But I doubt that will be the end of his rise.

I do keep a little eye on what others are saying about the draft, and nobody else has even mentioned Hibberd as an option. I think sometimes being a 19 year old can hurt your image, people automatically assume that you've been passed over so you'll be a rookie shot at best. But it's worth noting that Hibberd missed out because he was injured, not because he isn't a good player. Like Oleg Markov, who is now performing and showing his talent too. Hibberd, Markov, Himmelberg, Coughlan, Minogue, Moore and others are more talented than a number of 18 year olds who are getting attention on here. They just happen to all be 19 year olds.

As for Hibberd, he ticks so many boxes. He really is the Kolodjashnij/Thurlow of 2015 for Tasmania. Perfect size, he runs well and has really good skills off half back. If he developed more of an inside midfield game, then he'd be a legitimate top 20 chance.

Chris25, if you were looking for pace, skill and the "hurt" factor in a midfielder (or potentially one) with a second round pick, who would you take out of Bonner, O'Kearney, Greg Clark, Ryan Clarke, Fiorini, Gresham or Milera?

Interesting group of players. How do you compare them, when they are all so different.

For starters, I'd take Bonner out of the equation. I don't consider him a midfielder, and I'm not sure he really has the game to develop into one either. He's more than good enough to make it on a flank though. I'd leave Milera out too. With a second round pick, I wouldn't be banking on him being the game changing midfielder. I think he's more a half forward/midfielder at best, not a full time midfielder with hurt factor. As for the others, O'Kearney is solid but lacks the hurt factor with his disposal and it'd be too early for Fiorini in my opinion - I prefer the likes of Parsons, Cole and Olekalns.

Which leaves Clark, Clarke and Gresham. And you'd be lucky to get any of those three in the second round. Greg Clark doesn't really hurt with his disposal, but he's big and has the potential to be a #1 midfielder. Gresham does everything you'd want, but is obviously small and lacks that real point of difference to many midfielders.

So if I had to choose, I'd probably go with Ryan Clarke. He best fits the bill for what you're after, and his ceiling would be something like a Zaharakis.

Thanks. You just reminded me to move him up the order too, I've got him at 33 at the moment. But I doubt that will be the end of his rise.

I do keep a little eye on what others are saying about the draft, and nobody else has even mentioned Hibberd as an option. I think sometimes being a 19 year old can hurt your image, people automatically assume that you've been passed over so you'll be a rookie shot at best. But it's worth noting that Hibberd missed out because he was injured, not because he isn't a good player. Like Oleg Markov, who is now performing and showing his talent too. Hibberd, Markov, Himmelberg, Coughlan, Minogue, Moore and others are more talented than a number of 18 year olds who are getting attention on here. They just happen to all be 19 year olds.

As for Hibberd, he ticks so many boxes. He really is the Kolodjashnij/Thurlow of 2015 for Tasmania. Perfect size, he runs well and has really good skills off half back. If he developed more of an inside midfield game, then he'd be a legitimate top 20 chance.
Thanks, Chris. You're right, I haven't seen his name come up at all so I was impressed to see you rate him highly after I heard Cal and Mick talking about him. I hope he can keep doing well, I think more people will be taking notice now.

Are any of Lovell, Hayden, Dodge or Rainbird from Tassie draftable in your opinion?

Question about Übergang - can anyone pick him up this year or do the QLD team still have the right to pre-nominate him?

Carlton are short on talls...

Question about Übergang - can anyone pick him up this year or do the QLD team still have the right to pre-nominate him?

Carlton are short on talls...
They still have priority over him. Personally I think that is ridiculous - it should be 'use it or lose it' in the first year an academy player can be drafted. That would have meant Hiscox from the Swans academy was fair game last year as they neglected to take him in 2013.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They still have priority over him. Personally I think that is ridiculous - it should be 'use it or lose it' in the first year an academy player can be drafted. That would have meant Hiscox from the Swans academy was fair game last year as they neglected to take him in 2013.

Sorry to intrude but:

Then that disincentivises teams from recruiting older and more raw players to the academy. Some of the better players in our game were rubbish 18 year olds and others didn't start until 16-17.

I'd wager that a lot of academy kids are from other sports and need that extra time to develop in the academy. Likewise a good few don't come in until a late age and can't be expected to be ready in a year to play afl. Given the nature of the northern states sporting dynamic access to 19 year olds is integral imo. Freeman another one. This year it's relevant to blokes like Galloway, Himmelberg, Minogue and Canfield from NSW and Weller and Buzza of QLD. Especially the Queensland boys really depend on that extra year for the development given their introduction to the game.

Sorry to intrude but:

Then that disincentivises teams from recruiting older and more raw players to the academy. Some of the better players in our game were rubbish 18 year olds and others didn't start until 16-17.

I'd wager that a lot of academy kids are from other sports and need that extra time to develop in the academy. Likewise a good few don't come in until a late age and can't be expected to be ready in a year to play afl. Given the nature of the northern states sporting dynamic access to 19 year olds is integral imo. Freeman another one. This year it's relevant to blokes like Galloway, Himmelberg, Minogue and Canfield from NSW and Weller and Buzza of QLD. Especially the Queensland boys really depend on that extra year for the development given their introduction to the game.

Good post. An example is someone like Wylee Buzza who has only been playing the game for about 3 years. No way in the world was he anywhere near draftable last year, but is looking much better with the extra year with the Academy.

Besides, with the new bidding rules, players aren't being picked up on the cheapest any more. This still allows development state players to be picked up by local clubs that developed them, at a fair price.

Sorry to intrude but:

Sorry to intrude but:

Don't see how it is a disincentive if they are good enough they will get drafted as an academy player at that age, but if you pass them up other teams can draft them too?

Don't see how it is a disincentive if they are good enough they will get drafted as an academy player at that age, but if you pass them up other teams can draft them too?

Let's look at Wylie Buzza (though I'm not sure he gets drafted anyway) as an example.

If academy concessions ceased after a player's draft year:

- Raw 16 year old Wylie Buzza presents as an option for the Lions academy.
- Lions see potential in him, but realise given his limited football background he'll take more than a year to develop
- In a year, he will be eligible for the draft. However he will also not be a good enough footballer to draft
- However, they suspect and hope that he may be with another year in the system. But they can't guarantee it. If they don't draft him when he's not ready, they lose all rights to him and thus have no incentive to keep working on him post his year
- And also, they would struggle to justify wasting a list slot on someone who isn't even NEAFL standard yet and really needs another year in the system to learn the game.

End result - I suspect when Wylie presents they decide not to bring him into the academy. Likewise Nick Weller. Whatever potential they had to be an AFL player is greatly reduced. When Brisbane passed on Jono Freeman due to his injuries and lack of a sample (I think it was?) they wouldn't have kept him on in the academy - there was no reason to. He wouldn't have then turned into someone worth drafting and is lost to the system.

Likewise, Himmelberg, Canfield, Galloway and Minogue have no time invested into them by GWS this year as GWS have no incentive to do so given they ost their rights to them when they passed them last year (as none deserved drafting). They're not going to waste time and resources on a player they have no rights to. Ergo, those players too are very unlikely to develop into potential AFL players.

However with the current system these project, speculative and late starting types are given a shot as there is an incentive to do so.

We either scrap the rule and lose potential players as a result or we keep the rule, gaining potentially more AFL standard players.

Clubs aren't missing out on these players this year. Because really, without the rule allowing it, they wouldn't be in the conversation at all.

In fact, I propose that clubs are actually a greater chance at getting a Himmelberg type this year than they would be without the 19 year old academy rule. Without it, Himmelberg doesn't get drafted. He's not even a prospect. He's lost to the system at 18 and has to go and try and get noticed without AFL support. However, due to the strength of the academy there's every chance that the trickle down effect means someone like him may be passed on and released into the open pool.

I thought I'd go the big board approach before the Championships starts, then change to an actual mock draft. Like always, my rankings tend to differ from others because I value different types and attributes.

The Big Board

It's been a couple of weeks since I updated this list. Not much has really changed since then to be honest. I few have moved a couple of places up and down. The biggest movers were Himmelberg going up to #19 and O'Kearney dropping to #36. I'm becoming increasingly confident in Himmelberg and his chances. I've had him on my board all year, and he's now starting to show why I've had such faith in him. Hopefully others start coming on soon. As for O'Kearney, he's been very productive but I don't see a lot that separates him from others. I'm not a big fan of the midfield depth in this draft, just seems like defenders and flankers are where the strength lies.

1. Jacob Weitering (195cm, 90kg defender from Dandenong)
2. Aaron Francis (192cm, 89kg utility from West Adelaide)
3. Callum Mills (186cm, 73kg midfielder from North Shore)
4. Callum Ah Chee (182cm, 71kg forward/midfielder from South Fremantle)
5. Darcy Parish (181cm, 72kg midfielder from Geelong)
6. Josh Schache (199cm, 96kg forward from Murray Bushrangers)
7. Greg Clark (193cm, 82kg midfielder from Subiaco)
8. Ryan Burton (190cm, 79kg forward from North Adelaide)
9. Kieran Collins (193cm, 94kg defender from Dandenong Stingrays)
10. Charlie Curnow (191cm, 95kg forward from Geelong)

11. Jacob Hopper (186cm, 82kg midfielder from North Ballarat)
12. Darcy Tucker (184cm, 78kg midfielder from North Ballarat)
13. Harley Balic (186cm, 80kg midfielder from Sandringham)
14. Matthew Kennedy (187cm, 84kg midfielder from NSW/Collingullie)
15. Josh Dunkley (189cm, 85kg midfielder from Gippsland Power)
16. Stephen Tahana (183cm, 79kg defender from North Adelaide)
17. Luke Partington (180cm, 75kg midfielder from Norwood)
18. Sam Weideman (196cm, 91kg forward from Eastern Ranges)
19. Harrison Himmelberg (192cm, 84kg forward from Eastlake)
20. Thomas Cole (185cm, 76kg midfielder from Bendigo Pioneers)

21. Ben Keays (183cm, 78kg midfielder from Morningside)
22. James Parsons (189cm, 79kg midfielder from Eastern Ranges)
23. Ryan Clarke (186cm, 84kg midfielder from Eastern Ranges)
24. Rhys Mathieson (185cm, 79kg midfielder from Geelong)
25. Jade Gresham (177cm, 74kg midfielder from Northern Knights)
26. Keiran Agius (187cm, 84kg forward from North Adelaide)
27. Riley Bonner (187cm, 75kg utility from West Adelaide)
28. Oleg Markov (187cm, 78kg forward/midfielder from North Adelaide)
29. Sam Skinner (197cm, 96kg defender from Gippsland Power)
30. Nicholas Coughlan (195cm, 83kg defender from Murray Bushrangers)

31. Harry McKay (200cm, 85kg forward from Gippsland Power)
32. Eric Hipwood (197cm, 82kg forward from Aspley)
33. Mitchell Hibberd (191cm, 85kg midfielder from Clarence)
34. Will Snelling (177cm, 68kg midfielder from West Adelaide)
35. Callum Moore (193cm, 85kg forward from Calder Cannons)
36. Nick O'Kearney (181cm, 71kg midfielder from Calder Cannons)
37. Matthew Flynn (200cm, 99kg ruckman/forward from Narrandera)
38. Levi Ridley (183cm, 74kg midfielder from Swan Districts)
39. Maris Olekalns (180cm, 70kg midfielder from North Adelaide)
40. Cameron Hewett (189cm, 76kg midfielder from North Adelaide)

41. Wayne Milera (182cm, 71kg midfielder from Central Districts)
42. Jake Sushames (185cm, 65kg midfielder from North Launceston)
43. Tim Sullivan (199cm, 90kg ruckman from Glenelg)
44. Jordan Dawson (188cm, 80kg forward from Sturt)
45. Bailey Rice (184cm, 81kg defender from Dandenong Stingrays)
46. Nash Holmes (180cm, 74kg midfielder from Gippsland Power)
47. Yestin Eades (183cm, 80kg midfielder from North Ballarat Rebels)
48. Aidyn Johnson (184cm, 75kg midfielder from Bendigo Pioneers)
49. Matthew Nunn (180cm, 75kg midfielder from Norwood)
50. John Shaw (177cm, 75kg defender from Swan Districts)

51. Josh Minogue (189cm, 80kg forward from Murray Bushrangers)
52. Jordan Snadden (190cm, 79kg midfielder from East Fremantle)
53. Kyle Presbury (182cm, 73kg midfielder from Central Districts)
54. Davin Ferreira (174cm, 68kg forward from Wanderers)
55. Brendan Dew (178cm, 66kg midfielder from Central Districts)
56. Brayden Fiorini (186cm, 76kg midfielder from Northern Knights)
57. Hugh Haysman (177cm, 72kg midfielder from West Adelaide)
58. Daniel Houston (187cm, 83kg forward from Oakleigh Chargers)
59. Mason Redman (184cm, 77kg midfielder from Glenelg)
60. Kade Stewart (180cm, 67kg midfielder from South Fremantle)

what about a top 90...why only 60

Loving the work again mate, just had another question on the SA guys, you noticed much of Jesse O'Brien in the SANFL (think he went back there).

Was pretty harsh getting delisted definetly a player that can contribute to alot of teams on a decent level, compared to some of the other players in the system

Chris25,
I was quite impressed with Redman for SA yesterday. Great hands and good size. Is he eligible for this year's draft? What are his official height/weight dimensions? Do you think he can play as a KPD?

Chris25,
I was quite impressed with Redman for SA yesterday. Great hands and good size. Is he eligible for this year's draft? What are his official height/weight dimensions? Do you think he can play as a KPD?

Redman is listed at 187cm and 76kg, so obviously not tall enough to play as a KPP or anything like that. But he's an interesting player, and a fairly useful in a reasonably poor draft. He was used primarily as a half forward for SA in the Championships, and played reasonably well. He is a strong mark for a player his size, it's why he can go and play that same role across the back line too. He's also a good kick. What he didn't get to show, for whatever reason, was his ability in the middle. For Glenelg, he has shown a decent ability at winning the clearances. He probably should have played more as a midfielder for SA, would have given them some extra size and skill in the middle.

He's one of the better later round prospects for mine, because he does have a number of draftable attributes.

Hi Chris, read some snippests on Harry Mackay ? Do you have any extra info ? Much appreciated . He may come into contention be
for the Baggers 2nd rounder. Thanks

Hi Chris, read some snippests on Harry Mackay ? Do you have any extra info ? Much appreciated . He may come into contention be for the Baggers 2nd rounder. Thanks

Can't say I have any extra information, I just watch and judge like everyone else. I imagine he'll probably be taken before Carlton's second pick though, given his size and potential. Moves very well for someone his size, a bit like Sam Day from Gold Coast. Although to be honest, I probably wouldn't take him if I were Carlton. Like Day, he's no guarantee to be a #1 forward and someone you build around - as good as he may be on paper. And with the amount of holes that Carlton have on their list, I'd be wanting a safer bet - something like Weideman in the first, a sliding midfielder in the second/third and letting Silvagni/Rice go to whoever wants them.

But I do like McKay, a couple of years and he should be a solid prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back