Opinion Youngsters leaving the Cattery

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd have to say i'm disappointed Jansen is going though, i'm sure we all are. He was looking to be a great prospect. And i can sympathies with him on leaving, we played him everywhere on the ground including back and forward in the 2's. He was destined to be stuck in the guts, perhaps Horlin Smith was keeping him from his true role. Best of luck to him.

P.S - I expect Brisbanes first round pick for him #toughgameAFL

Not concerned at all, because other than Christensen none that have asked for trades or walked away from the club are certain best 22 players.

- Christensen was 23 when he asked to be traded, so hardly one of the "young" players, he had his own agenda and it seems from all accounts that not too many at the club were upset with him leaving.
- Hartman left to go home and party with his mates. Not sure how serious he was about his footy at a younger age, but for young guys in their late teens/early 20s, unless they are 100% focused and intent on making a career out of footy, when they see their mates partying & drinking on weekends which isn't an option for them most of the season, due to the discipline required it can be a choice they have to make - mates or footy. Hartman chose his mates, so if that is how serious he took his footy before his 3rd season even started, not sure he is much of a loss, other than meaning a year of development we couldn't get into someone else.
- Hamling had 3 years on the list and couldn't break into the side for a senior match. Maybe he would have got an opportunity this year or maybe he would have just sat behind a few others - good luck to him at the Dogs, hope things work out for him.
- Jansen, I said my bit on him in the thread dedicated to him. If he doesn't want to earn his spot then let him go, I would rather players who want to play for the club and want to earn their games, compared to just feeling entitled to game time.

- Walker, hasn't gone yet and no indication from the club that they want him out. If we put a contract to him, but someone else offers more and he leaves for money, then not much we can do if we have tried to keep him.
- Kolo, said he was unsure where he sat at the club mid-season, but that games late in the season helped him feel that he belonged and had a future at the club. He earned his games and didn't look out of place, and I'm glad he is staying.

I don't think its a case of the club getting ride of players who have hardly been given an opportunity - from what I can tell, Hamling & now Jansen are the only guys to not debut for the club who have either gone to another team or asked for a trade to another team.

As for keeping guys who have less than a few years left, its all about team balance - can't get rid of guys just cause they have turned 30 or its felt they may only have 2 years left so better dump them early to get 2 more years into a youngster; its all about balance and the newer generation also needs to learn from the older players, watch how they play, how they train and see what is required to play senior footy.

Maybe the better question compared to "why are we getting rid of younger players" is "why do young players today feel entitled to play senior footy compared to earning their spot in the team?". And that isn't just an AFL thing but a life question - the younger generation today want it all and they want it now; the first house has to be 3/4 bedrooms, double garage blah blah blah, while still buying new car/s and going on overseas holidays every year. I'm only 31, but people my age & younger do seem to feel a sense of entitlement, rather than wanting that sense of achievement.

Brilliant.

Anyone else concerned about what is currently transpiring down at Geelong?

We are losing young players like never before. Christensen, Hartman, Walker (rumored to be traded), Hamling and now Jansen has asked to be traded.
There were murmurings about Kolodjashnij mid year and thank goodness we were able to hold onto Motlop.

Why are we getting rid of players who have hardly been given an opportunity?
And why are we so eager to hold onto players who have less than a few years of football remaining?

I think on face value you have a point there - but as soon as you scratch the surface abit deeper you seen the reasons become clearer.
Bundy, as most rumours lean towards, had off field issues that the club tried to address and assist with but to no avail and he left the club.. Not in a great fashion either

Hamling was, as Wells called it, a project when drafted. I would have liked to see him get a go but wanted more opportunity. And he hit the club at a time of unprecedented succes. Who was he going to displace in the back 6 2 years ago?
Hartman lost the will to play.
Toohey had a heart defect.
And now JJ, whom is 2 years into his career wants more chances. I get it but think biding his time will serve him better in the long run.

Considering we have kept mots, kolo, Thurlow, guthrie, Lang, Gregson, gore, read, blitz, cocky, and I'm sure I've missed one too, is say our ability to retain younger talent is on par with other clubs.

At the end of the day, clubs have turnover - some expected some not. Overall, IMO, we are still well placed even if JJ does move on.

Go Catters

if you don't give them games then other clubs can poach them easier

it's the cost of keeping oldies too long and trading in players

The weekend of June 20-21 we were beaten by Melbourne. That was VFL round 10. It is noted that he struggled that day.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/118816/Jarrad-JANSEN

From that point in the season where we were struggling for players he had a 2nd best for us (R10), 6th best (R13), 1st best (R17) but earlier than that he was recovering from an injury and played 4 games prior to R10 and was in the best players in 2 of those games.

Wasn't in the best players in R 12, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20.

Simply it appears as though he wasn't playing well enough or consistent enough for senior selection for most of the season.

There not playing well enough and there's not given a chance to play well enough, at best he's played 50% game time on the ball if he played 80% who knows how best "bests" he would've been in.

Good luck to the kid if does go, personally think we've missed a trick here but only time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll put it this way, young kids in big organisations don't always last. With no real succession opportunities they will move on. Some for better chances, some because they simply can't cut it.

You simply cannot get the best out of every recruit, it will never happen. This has gone on for ages, I remember back to the 89 GF, where did happen to David Cameron and Hamilton?

Same could be said of a number of blokes from our team recently when we won a lot of games.

Nothing in it, it just happens.

No big loss, especially if they plan on making some of the rumored free-agent moves. Adding guys like Danger and Selwood to the mids and another ruck in (pushing Blitz to mids full-time) means Jansen wasn't going to see much time if any over the next year or two. Surprised he wants to go to the Lions though, figured he'd want to go back to WA.

I didn't include those recent signings because they are exactly that, have only been on the list for one year.
Kolodjashnij, Hamling, Walker, Horlin-Smith, Bews, Thurlow, they spent 2-3 years in the VFL and are a lot further back than what they could be today.

If Blicavs and Murdoch were given ample time in the AFL without exactly setting the world on fire, why can't others get such opportunities?

Because they weren't ready? Or good enough?

There is so much in play before you get a game at AFL level. You need to be fit, have skills, understand your role, understand the team game plan, have presence on the field and these would just be the obvious components. Players who appear to be ready may not even be close due to internal competition or matchups on game day or even lack of classroom smarts.

Others may be brought into the team because of immediate need, despite some deficiency in the skillsets mentioned above.

It is so complex and that's why there is a selection committee that would clearly know exactly where each player is at.

How do you know that Kolodjashnij, Hamling, Walker, Horlin-Smith, Bews, Thurlow are further back than they could be today due to spending time in the VFL? They could be exactly this good because they spent time in the VFL. If they came in early, who knows, they may ended up out of the game altogether.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are losing young players like never before. Christensen, Hartman, Walker (rumored to be traded), Hamling and now Jansen has asked to be traded.
There were murmurings about Kolodjashnij mid year and thank goodness we were able to hold onto Motlop.

And why are we so eager to hold onto players who have less than a few years of football remaining?

I'll just spin that if I can

Kolo no game time... stays
Motlop much bigger offer... stays

So everyone we have wanted to keep from that list we have.

Unfortunate circumstances had led to. Bundy wanting to go, Hartman is not a loss whatsoever and Jansen is a problem of depth still needs development and wouldn't get game time next year.
Gore has gone past him already anyway

Bobby are you auditioning to write for the Hun?

Christensen was a unique case; you can't blame management. Ditto Hartman. Otherwise you will find Geelong, like ALL clubs has turned over players of all ages. I started following Geelong in the 70's in a big way and I could not keep up with the ins and outs. It happens

I think you just answered your own question....

Jansen could see the writing on the wall with the inclusion of Danger and SSelword. If he gets an offer from Brisbane to earn cash and play senior footy, why wouldn't he or shouldn't he take it?
Yeah, this. If I were choosing between another year spent in the VFL, where I wasn't really anywhere near senior selection, vs a crack at the big time in a new environment, I know which one I'd choose every time.

No, it's the cost of having better players, and trading in more good players.
It's also the cost of player managers who need to keep shopping their products around to keep the dollars flowing.

I think the Club has done well in general with its younglings, and if JJ and maybe Walker are the costs of refreshing the list then so be it. It is unrealistic to expect us to keep everyone everytime.

Because they weren't ready? Or good enough?

There is so much in play before you get a game at AFL level. You need to be fit, have skills, understand your role, understand the team game plan, have presence on the field and these would just be the obvious components. Players who appear to be ready may not even be close due to internal competition or matchups on game day or even lack of classroom smarts.

Others may be brought into the team because of immediate need, despite some deficiency in the skillsets mentioned above.

It is so complex and that's why there is a selection committee that would clearly know exactly where each player is at.

How do you know that Kolodjashnij, Hamling, Walker, Horlin-Smith, Bews, Thurlow are further back than they could be today due to spending time in the VFL? They could be exactly this good because they spent time in the VFL. If they came in early, who knows, they may ended up out of the game altogether.

Post of the highest quality...probably from someone whose played the game at a decent level, or been exposed to it in some capacity..

Great work Vic :thumbsu::thumbsu:

No, it's the cost of having better players, and trading in more good players.

better players who wont be playing in a year for the cost of someone who might have 10 years

1-2 games for someone in their second year isn't much to ask especially when the club has no shot at a flag

better players who wont be playing in a year for the cost of someone who might have 10 years

1-2 games for someone in their second year isn't much to ask especially when the club has no shot at a flag

Query whether it's good policy to bribe young players into staying and doing the hard yards by giving them some undeserved token games.

so why couldn't Jansen get a look in when Duncan, Bartel, Kelly were missing throughout the year?
We were hit hard by injury to the midfield this year.
Wasn't Jansen injured at the same time?

Wasn't Jansen injured at the same time?
The more I think about it yeah he probably was. Bartel injured R2. Kelly R5 and Duncan Round 7.

Jansen was injured VFL rounds 3-5 which is 2 rounds behind AFL so that's R5-7 which coincides with both Kelly and Bartel and he returned the same weekend that Duncan first missed through injury (not close to selection in other words).

I dare say that by the time he regained fitness (form was questionable) both Kelly and Bartel were back and that's also unfortunate for Gore who iirc was injured in mid year too.

if james johnson does indeed get traded, will the guys that said "he is my man", will jj still be there man?. or will they say that about the next draftee?

i always chuckle when people label guys as "there man" usually before they have even played a vfl/afl game

if in 10 years time they make it, they can say i called him first but if they get delisted they move on to the next draftee and a new "his my man"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back