Opinion Youngsters leaving the Cattery

Remove this Banner Ad

how many guys on a list and how many can play each week..
Bound to be some hard luck stories,people who feel they are overlooked, young guys who want to play in the big dance etc There are also internal issues/attitudes that many may be unaware of.
I think in recent times our calls have been fairly good with the fringe/up and coming players.
Kolo was the only one I thought was genuinely stiff, but we managed to keep him interested.

western bulldogs fans having made the finals would quite rightly be saying there list is better then geelong's

Who had the easier draw though?

I didn't include those recent signings because they are exactly that, have only been on the list for one year.
Kolodjashnij, Hamling, Walker, Horlin-Smith, Bews, Thurlow, they spent 2-3 years in the VFL and are a lot further back than what they could be today.

If Blicavs and Murdoch were given ample time in the AFL without exactly setting the world on fire, why can't others get such opportunities?

its not possible to give everyone equal opportunity .

not inside midfielders we're not.
This is why the club is desperate to get Dangerfield and Selwood and why losing Jansen is upsetting for some as his upside would have helped out this need in the next few years.

No point in having a player in the side who is no good just because he plays more as an insider, he has to be a good inside midfielder otherwise he is a liability .Simple fact is Jansen has not been good enough to get a game .

western bulldogs fans having made the finals would quite rightly be saying there list is better then geelong's

Just because Hamling plays for the Bulldogs in no way validates him.

Sides can still make the finals with some bad players in the side .We have seen sides go deep into September with ordinary bottom 6 players in their best 22 .

That's just looking for excuses. The ladder position doesn't lie, and it isn't by accident.

Yes we all know that equalisation is a fairy tale. It is also a fairy tale that clubs need time to build a list capable of winning a premiership.

The answer too all our prayers is too stamp our feet ,hold people to account and than we can challenge for the premiership ever single year .

Yes we all know that equalisation is a fairy tale. It is also a fairy tale that clubs need time to build a list capable of winning a premiership.

The answer too all our prayers is too stamp our feet ,hold people to account and than we can challenge for the premiership ever single year .

Well we're not going to challenge for the flag every year (although I'm sure a few thought that at the start of the season). Totally agree about holding people to account though - although I'm sure I'm in the vast minority on that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else concerned about what is currently transpiring down at Geelong?

We are losing young players like never before. Christensen, Hartman, Walker (rumored to be traded), Hamling and now Jansen has asked to be traded.
There were murmurings about Kolodjashnij mid year and thank goodness we were able to hold onto Motlop.

Why are we getting rid of players who have hardly been given an opportunity?
And why are we so eager to hold onto players who have less than a few years of football remaining?
Err...Christensen left a year ago, and the reason was apparently personal (gambling, screwing a teammates wife or other rumours), Hamling was cut a year ago after several seasons of little improvement and is doing ok at the Dogs, good luck to him. Hartman left mid-season, again due to personal reasons, not because he was not given a chance. Walker is still with the club and played a bunch of games this year, both Kolo and Motlop have re-signed. The only relevant name you have raised is Jansen and there is another thread for that discussion!

We just retired Stevie J, Kelly and Stokes - another 700 games worth of players, probably both Kel and SJ had another season or two left, but because our list is old we are forced to retire some players a little earlier than might be the case if it were 2007.

Well we're not going to challenge for the flag every year (although I'm sure a few thought that at the start of the season). Totally agree about holding people to account though - although I'm sure I'm in the vast minority on that.

Its a bit of a contradiction to say that you understand we cant challenge for the premiership every year , but people at the club must held account for our recent performances .If you accept that a club cant challenge for a premiership every year than you have no choice to accept our performances over the past few years.

I also have this radical idea that just maybe the people who we should be most focused on holding to account are the 44 players on our list , but it seems like I am in the minority with this whacky idea.

Its a bit of a contradiction to say that you understand we cant challenge for the premiership every year , but people at the club must held account for our recent performances .If you accept that a club cant challenge for a premiership every year than you have no choice to accept our performances over the past few years.

I also have this radical idea that just maybe the people who we should be most focused on holding to account are the 44 players on our list , but it seems like I am in the minority with this whacky idea.
Same goes for those who thought we might finish 12th on the ladder but still get stuck into coaches and players because we didn't win a premiership.. :confused: I wish they'd make their minds up. Surely they should be happy that we finished where we did?

Same goes for those who thought we might finish 12th on the ladder but still get stuck into coaches and players because we didn't win a premiership.. :confused: I wish they'd make their minds up. Surely they should be happy that we finished where we did?

How many posters this year have said we should have won the premiership? I'd put it at zero that I can recall.

It's a contradiction if you adhere to the foolish notion of only having extreme points of view. If you accept that reality is far more nuanced it isn't. Of course the club should aspire to win the flag every year; but it's never going to happen. However if we're expected to finish somewhere in between 5th-8th, I reckon expecting to finish there is not unreasonable.

The only problem with meekly accepting the performances "over the past few years" (your words) is that some expected far higher results last year and at the start of this (such as beating Hawthorn in last year's Qualifying Final). Pretending that a lower position was always predicted is utterly wrong.

I'd certainly hold the players to blame for at least two poor showings - the losses to Melbourne and Collingwood. I'm not sure I'd blame Mitch Duncan for being played as a tagger in the opening rounds though - not sure he has that much power. I'm pretty confident however that some fans will never, ever bag the Dear Leader. No chance of that.

It's a contradiction if you adhere to the foolish notion of only having extreme points of view. If you accept that reality is far more nuanced it isn't. Of course the club should aspire to win the flag every year; but it's never going to happen. However if we're expected to finish somewhere in between 5th-8th, I reckon expecting to finish there is not unreasonable.

The only problem with meekly accepting the performances "over the past few years" (your words) is that some expected far higher results last year and at the start of this (such as beating Hawthorn in last year's Qualifying Final). Pretending that a lower position was always predicted is utterly wrong.

I'd certainly hold the players to blame for at least two poor showings - the losses to Melbourne and Collingwood. I'm not sure I'd blame Mitch Duncan for being played as a tagger in the opening rounds though - not sure he has that much power. I'm pretty confident however that some fans will never, ever bag the Dear Leader. No chance of that.

Agree 100% here. The players won some great games thru the year to give themselves a chance. But in those 2 games they blew it and effectively scuttled the year. The Saints game was a pendulum swing all the way thru.

They had every reason to go out and brain the D's and Pies and let it slip.

The playing group as a whole should have taken those two games on board specifically in review and made them focal points to work on for next year. And thrush be told, ditto goes for both rows in the box. Coaches got some thinks right too - but D's and Pies are dirty games to me.

GO Catters

Excepting reality means excepting the fact that no side has ever in the history of the AFL played in more than 8 finals series in a row .This carries more weight than any comments made on a internet forum.

Your using supporter predictions to set an unrealistic expectation on the club .Supporters of every club will always want more success than the club can ever possibly give them .Don't you think it would be sad for supporters to say we are not desperate for more success ? all success does is make people hungry for more success .

When you look at the history of the AFL there can be no debate about the fact that 10 finals within 11 years is an amazing effort. To expect more from the club is just foolish .

Christensen couldn't keep it in his pants and got himself in trouble off field.Nothing the club could do about it unless they put a chasity belt on him

Hartman was just a lazy bugger.How the heck has he got a job at the N.A.B ?
"Excuse bank teller.......WAKE UP !!!"
Not much we could have done with these two.
Hamling couldn't get a game after 3 or 4 years so looked elsewher.Fair enough.
Funnily enough if he was still here then both he and Kolo would have started behind Rivers and only one would have got into the team which would have seen complaints that Lonners was keeping Kolo/Hamling out of the team. Can't please everyone, clearly. And that applies to footy clubs too. 40 + 4-6 rookies doesn't go into 22 spots.

Jansen - maybe he thinks games should be handed to him.Dunno but I don't think he'll be a big loss.

Now what's your next drama saga Queenie ? :rolleyes:
Appears to have taken the easy way out despite not having earnt his spot in the senior team. Best of luck to him of course but we haven't made an error there. If he didn't deserve a game we were right to not give him one.

P.S most likes for one post Jubby?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back