Your 3 best games of 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Hasn't been an amazing year, but top 3 are probably:
Shadow of Mordor
Assasins Creed Unity
Far Cry 4

Have played most of the big games, but still need to check out Dragon Age.

1. Forza Horizon 2

I find the driving very satisfying, the weather effects add heaps to the racing and the way cars control.
Great open world in a beautiful European setting, can see me playing this for quite awhile.

GetPhoto.ashx

2. Sunset Overdrive

It's not very often I can find a game that my GF wants to play with me.
This is very accessible game, even if you aren't heaps into gaming.
Traversing the city by bouncing, grinding & swinging is a rush and the various weapons make combat fun.
Game has many laugh out loud moments, it's a game made by gamers for gamers.

sunset_overdrive_review_arsenal.0.jpg

3. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Shadow of Mordor was a bit of a sleeper hit for me, hadn't even heard of it until it released.
I haven't finished it yet but already feel confident putting it in my top 3.
I love the dynamic open world and how you can exact revenge on the Orcs that get one up on you.
Also it's cool how when a lowly Orc kills you he gets promoted into Sauron's Army.
Graphically it's a gorgeous and shows what the PS4 & XB1 can do.

ShadowOfMordor-Ultra3.jpg

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - Loved the nemesis system and avenging your friends deaths lol.
Wolfenstein: The New Order - Some dumb fun blowing up s**t and shooting nazis :thumbsu:
Watch Dogs - Not everyone's cup of tea but for a new IP it has some promise and it was fun for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In order, I'd say:

1. The Wolf Among Us (I realise the first episode released in '13, but 4/5 episodes were this year)
  2. Wolfenstein: The New Order
  3. South Park: Stick of Truth
A few that miss out for me include GTA V (I just wasn't dragged into as heavily as I have been past GTA's despite it still being an excellent game), Dragon Age: Inquisition (I've lost hours into this and plan on putting in more, but was a little let down by a few things) and NBA 2K15 (love it as a sports game, just couldn't put it above the top 3).

Dragon Age Inquisition - Great game. Haven't quite finished it yet.

Divinity Original Sin - Old school RPG styled game with turn based combat, bit of a niche market but a style I really like.

Titanfall - My favorite FPS for the year.

South Park is one I haven't played yet but will be checking out soon.

Definitely a bit of an indictment that re-releases are featuring pretty heavily in this thread. Though I'm assuming most of those people probably don't own WiiU's and don't like RPGs so they are further limited in their options :p

Yeah I won't be including any of GTA, TLOU, etc in my list. Unless it is a complete remake like say Pokemon Alpha Sapphire this year or Zelda OOT 3D from 2012 I wouldn't bother.

GTAV is an interesting proposition because they have added something that fundamentally changes the product, but it still isn't enough.

The Wolf Among Us will probably make it onto my 3 in a weak year though.

1: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - This game is very possibly the most addictive game i've ever played.
So many combinations of wacky and awesome pick-ups that just have you wanting to play level after level to see what you'll end up with next!
Simply incredible game that shouldn't be missed by anybody (and having been a PS+ freebie there's no excuses for many PS4 owners not to give it a go).

2: GTA5 (PS4 release) - Never played it when it came out last year on previous gen consoles but this is an EXTREMELY well made game and imo pretty clearly the best and most complete GTA ever released.

3: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - This game only came in to my focus after glowing reviews were coming out left right and center. Checked out some gameplay footage and realised that this was the type of game i really enjoy playing.....definitely was not disappointed in my purchase and look forward to a sequel hopefully some time in the near future.

GOTY - The Wolf Among Us
TellTale have come a very long way in recent years, first came the incredible Walking Dead Season 1, then The Wolf Among Us.

I rate The Walking Dead season as an absolute high point in gaming, but to further prove how far TellTale have come, I rate The Wolf Among Us even higher.

For what TellTale accomplished in The Walking Dead, they really did take it up another notch entirely with The Wolf Among Us. The writing is brilliant, the voice acting is spot on (same goes for the casting - with a Walking Dead mainstay making a neat appearance too) and the artstyle is superb. I think in terms of why I preference Wolf Among Us ahead of Walking Dead, it simply comes down to the theme not being so dour and 'everything has gone to s**t'. There was a lot more room for creative fun with TWAU which I really enjoyed.

Not one of the 5 episodes were weak and every episode was as engaging as the next.

In what was perhaps a weaker year for the big AAA titles, The Wolf Among Us has come through as my Game of the Year for 2014.

2 - Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Wow, I thought Binding of Isaac was good!

The original on PC was my most played Steam game (I don't play a lot of Steam games, so this was my most played at 60+ hours).

But then Nicalis came up with Rebirth, while the game keeps the inherent parts of the original this expands on the original Isaac and Wrath of the Lamb and brings even more gross, weird and extremely strange to the table.

On top of that, the game was free with PS+ which meant I get the game on PS4 and Vita for nothing. So I also bought it on Steam, just to get that extra bit of gametime while at work!

I still can't stop playing this game, it's both great for a short burst or an hour long session. Due to the random, never the same nature of the game it's always something new to explore and enjoy.

3 - Alien Isolation
What a surprise this turned out to be. After seeing some fairly harsh reviews around the traps, I was very cautious with jumping in on this game. But once I got going, I couldn't stop.

Gameplay wise I was reminded heavily of Hitman, which may seem weird from the outside. But once you get into it, you see this trial and error nature with a 'true path' concept attached.

The story was also surprisingly strong, holding fairly tight for what ended up around maybe 15-20 hours of gameplay. Which on that, the gameplay also held strong with the aforementioned Hitman-esque gameplay but also changing it up with some minor puzzles and just some straight up action at points. I really never felt like the action just got boring and flat, there was always something happening, which is not to say there's a lot of action always going on. Isolation is just a tense game that keeps you on the edge of your seat at all times, which is just another facet that makes this game fantastic.

Graphically, the game is astounding. Re-creating the world of Aliens to perfection, bringing you back to that "80's 2000's" world, where green text computers still exist now.

This game was truly a horror game for the ages and I am very glad I got to play it and didn't give up when seeing the reviews.

1. Fantasy Life (3DS)

Not even close for me. Easily the game I sunk the most time into. Level5 are great at everything they do. The story mode is short, but its amazing for completionists.

2. Smash Bros (WiiU)

Amazing game. With the constant updates, it'll be a great competitive game for a while too.

3. South Park: Stick of Truth

Obsidian did a great job. Lots of references and a nice battle system.

---

Some love to Ultra Street Fighter IV -- more of an upgrade, but its so much fun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back