Your all time favourite XI.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, one of the toughest things to do would be to rate the Windies quicks in order.

In my time I've seen:
Wesley Hall - classic quick bowler
Charlie Griffith - possibly the quickest of them all, but a very dubious action
Garry Sobers - could bowl very quick when he wanted to
Andy Roberts - possibly the doyen of Windies quicks
Michael Holding - whispering death, such a beautiful smooth action.
Colin Croft - brutal speed delivered from wide of the crease
Joel Garner - good pace and could get the ball under the chin from a good length due to his height
Malcolm Marshall - swung the ball both ways at tremendous speed
Curtley Ambrose - sensational bowler, could do it all
Courtney Walsh - not express pace but a wonderful bowler

Apologies to other quicks who don't readily spring to mind.

Patrick Patterson, when he was on song, apparently very nasty to face.

God, looking at that list of names, there's simply nothing that good in terms of sheer numbers from any nation.

I know not everyone likes the ICC rankings, but they have Ambrose at 5th, Marshall at 9th and Hall at 22nd of all time as the best West Indian bowlers.

Couldn't really argue with that. Where would Andy Roberts rate? He was the first quick I saw who varied the pace of his bouncer. He'd bowl a quick one, a quicker one, and then a f***ing quick one, as David Hookes found out one day.

Not much love for Tendulkar here - reflection of his recent book or just that he wasn't that entertaining to watch?

That's an interesting one. Obviously a fine cricketer but personally I never found him all that entertaining to watch. This is certainly no criticism, but I never rated him ahead of Lara. Also I considered Ponting at his best a better player, but it's all subjective and I wouldn't argue with anyone who rated Tendulkar number 1.

That's why I said not everyone likes the rankings. :D

Also, Roberts wrecked Greg Ritchie one day with that variable bouncer too.

Colin Cowdrey too, apparently in a county game.

One thing to love about that ranking is it has Tendulkar at 29 - go lob that into an Indian forum for shits and giggles.

Colin Cowdrey too, apparently in a county game.

One thing to love about that ranking is it has Tendulkar at 29 - go lob that into an Indian forum for shits and giggles.
I actually agree with the Tendulkar ranking. I agree with the general trend of both the batting and bowling all-time rankings, but there are a few outliers.

Matthew Hayden
Virender Sehwag/Sanath Jayasuria/David Warner (you get the picture)
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Virat Kohli
AB DeVilliers (c)
Adam Gilchrist (+)
Mitchell Johnson
Shane Warne
Dale Steyn
Glenn McGrath

Mark Taylor (c)
Michael Slater
Ricky Ponting
Mark Waugh
Steve Waugh
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Daniel Vettori
Shane Warne
Brett Lee
Jason Gillespie
Glen McGrath

12th - Michael Bevan

This will be a modern player list due to my youth.

1. Hayden
2. Warner
3. Ponting
4. Tendulkar
5. Kallis
6. Flintoff
7. Gilchrist
8. S Warne
9. M Johnson
10. D Steyn
11. J Anderson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's an interesting one. Obviously a fine cricketer but personally I never found him all that entertaining to watch. This is certainly no criticism, but I never rated him ahead of Lara. Also I considered Ponting at his best a better player, but it's all subjective and I wouldn't argue with anyone who rated Tendulkar number 1.

The flair Lara possessed in his style and approach to batting was absolutely wonderful to watch. Just made utter mincemeat of spin bowlers. For those who got to see him in his prime, what was Wasim Akram like? He was the bowler Lara rated the highest. I only got to see a bit of him towards the end of his career, was still obviously an amazing bowler then but going off the youtube packages he had pretty scary pace to match the wizardry in his younger days.

Of those I've seen play...

Dave Warner
Gordon Greenidge
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
AB DeVilliers
Steve Waugh
Ian Healy
Wasim Akram
Richard Hadlee
Shane Warne
Curtly Ambrose

The flair Lara possessed in his style and approach to batting was absolutely wonderful to watch. Just made utter mincemeat of spin bowlers. For those who got to see him in his prime, what was Wasim Akram like? He was the bowler Lara rated the highest. I only got to see a bit of him towards the end of his career, was still obviously an amazing bowler then but going off the youtube packages he had pretty scary pace to match the wizardry in his younger days.

I'll never forget Lara's 277 at Sydney. The only way he was going to be dismissed was run out, and that's what happened, otherwise he could have made anything. He thoroughly deserves being the highest innings scorer in Test Cricket as well as 1st Class. This is a common story but I'll put it in incase people haven't heard it. Lara loved his innings at Sydney so much he named his daughter Sydney. Clive Lloyd said "Just as well he didn't play that innings in Lahore" :)

Wasim Akram is almost royalty amongst fast bowlers. It was unusual to find a left arm quick who bowled at express pace, but it wasn't just the speed, his inswinging Yorker was positively lethal. Added to that, he could bat as well. If you hear Akram was a great fast bowler, believe every word of it.

I'll never forget Lara's 277 at Sydney. The only way he was going to be dismissed was run out, and that's what happened, otherwise he could have made anything. He thoroughly deserves being the highest innings scorer in Test Cricket as well as 1st Class. This is a common story but I'll put it in incase people haven't heard it. Lara loved his innings at Sydney so much he named his daughter Sydney. Clive Lloyd said "Just as well he didn't play that innings in Lahore" :)

Wasim Akram is almost royalty amongst fast bowlers. It was unusual to find a left arm quick who bowled at express pace, but it wasn't just the speed, his inswinging Yorker was positively lethal. Added to that, he could bat as well. If you hear Akram was a great fast bowler, believe every word of it.

Was too young to have seen that other than on youtube, but will have to settle for seeing his double hundred in Adelaide in 2005 as my enduring memory of him on Australian soil. Utterly dominant.

The Pakistanis also copped it that year in the tri series:

These days, his cousin Darren Bravo exhibits a lot of Brian's traits in his batting style but I don't know if I ever have, or ever will see a player with such a bloodthirsty, unabashedly-arrogant thirst for runs.

Will just go for a rest of the world side having thought about it as my Australian test side would be fairly straightforward with the bulk of the side coming from our glory days as I imagine most would be. There's a fair bit of contradiction, with some players picked because of how much I admired their consistency and toughness and others picked off essentially the back of four test matches.

Stephen Fleming
Graeme Smith
Kumar Sangakkara
AB de Villiers
Brian Lara
VVS Laxman
Mark Boucher
Dale Steyn
Mohammad Amir
Rangana Herath
Simon Jones

Not hard to guess what type of openers I like, gritty determined buggers even if somewhat technically limited (although Fleming could be bloody aesthetic in full flight). Loved both Smith and Fleming for their leadership and both were not afraid to take it up to the dominant Australian side that reigned supreme throughout the 2000's. If I didn't select these guys, probably the next in line would be Rahul Dravid and Marcus Trescothick. Don't really need to explain why for Dravid, the guy is the epitome of class on and off the field, but I enjoyed watching Trescothick's odd technique where he'd slash the ball through point using those long leverlike arms.

Kumar at three wasn't a difficult choice. Such a classy batsman, but yet so prolific and versatile in any format of the game. Hashim Amla and Michael Vaughan the others I strongly considered.

AB at four, just love him and have ever since seeing him play for the first time. Possibly the most versatile batsman ever, there's nothing he hasn't been asked to do and remarkably he's succeeded in every role. A clear choice for the best all round batsman today - how many can play the ridiculous shots he can with such power, but can also bat out the final day of a test stonewalling? Not many at all. Throw in the fact he is/bloody close to the best fieldsman in the world and can keep to a more than acceptable standard. Hard to leave out Tendulkar, but I can justify it in the case of AB.

Spoke enough about Lara before!

Those flicks through the leg side by Laxman were just sublime. A joy to watch and a regular matchwinner. Could have gone with Flintoff or Kallis as allrounders, but for pure technical beauty I had to keep Laxman.

Boucher for his endurability and obdurate nature. He just was always there. Unobtrusive, but the value of that as a wicketkeeper cannot be underestimated. Perhaps should have just had Sangakkara keep so I could fit in Tendulkar or Kallis, but I wanted to acknowledge him.

Steyn - just a brutal, crazy yet prodigiously talented bowler.

Having not got to see a lot of Akram, the emergence of Amir onto the scene for that year or two was incredibly exciting for me. Such a bloody shame how it turned out.

Herath, odd to love a guy who's made his name on being boring but I make no apologies. Subtle variations on the top of a consistent ability to land the ball in the right spot make him the best spinner in world cricket today. I do prefer leg spinners, so it wasn't easy leaving out Kumble but have to also consider the brilliant moments Herath's provided in the field too!

Simon Jones was just pure aesthetics. For four tests, he captivated me with his stylish bowling action and staggering swing. There probably are quite a few blokes much more worthy, but the memories of Jones' short burst will live on for a long time. The imagery of Michael Clarke leaving a ball that was seemingly over half a metre outside off only to see off stump clattering out at right angles gives me chills.

As a Left Handed Batsmen and Bowler (although I could also bat Right Handed), most of my picks will be lefties.
DEVO’s 11 are:

Openers
My early days in cricket were spent at the bottom end of the batting line-up, but in my last season of juniors and my three seasons in seniors I was promoted to Opener. Not because I was any good as a batsmen, but because I could hold up one end. On 3 occasions in my final junior season I carried the bat, but never scored higher than 25, and on two occasions the team totalled over 200. I wish I had the flare of the two openers below.

Strinath Juyasuriya (Sri Lanka) – Just before the 1995 (or 1996) World Cup, Sri Lanka toured Australia. About halfway through the one day series, they were struggling. The made a change to their line-up and elevated their wicket-keeper to opener, won the World Cup six months later and changed the one-day game forever. The other opener, Juyasuriya, was already a dashing run scoring machine, but the change seemed to release the pressure on him to do a bulk of the early scoring, and he rose to another level. Not only did he become a great one-day opener, but he carried that form to Tests, and is now regarded as one of the premier Openers of the recent era.

Gordon Greenidge (West Indies) – Along with Desmond Haynes, was part of the greatest opening partnership in Cricket History. I chose Greenidge over Haynes because he was a more dashing and imposing player. Watching him take it up to Lillee, Thompson, Pascoe and co. was one of the reasons cricket in the early eighties is my favourite period.

Batsmen
As a kid I was an OK spin bowler, who desperately wanted to be a good batsman. 3 batsmen influenced me more than any others. All were markedly different in their style of play, but all had something special which I tried to bring into my batting, but with a batting average of about 10 as a junior I think I failed.

David Gower (England) – Is Style. Would be susceptible to bouts of “Brain Fade”, but for the most part, when on song, his classical, laidback style of batting was probably the most attractive I can remember. His innings against New Zealand in about 1984 (In Brisbane… I think) has to be one of the most pleasurable knocks I’ve ever seen.

Allan Border (Australia) – Is Grit and Determination. When Australian Cricket was at an all-time low, this is the guy that stopped us from falling to the depth’s of England in 1990’s. My Cricketing hero as a kid, he stood tall and played with passion.

Clive Lloyd (West Indies) – Is Power. I was about 5 or 6 when I first started to get interested in Cricket, and by that time (1976-77), “Supercat” was not the fleet footed cover fielder of his earlier days. Injuries had slowed him down, but he was still an imposing Batsmen My early memories of Clive Lloyd revolve around cricket balls flying over my head at million miles an hour… and my dad and I were on the second tier of one of the old MCG Stands (can’t remember the name). You could also hear that HUGE 5 ½ pound bat thumping into the turf from two hundred metres away.

All-Rounder
Kapil Dev (India) – Imran Khan, Richard Hadlee and Ian Botham are probably better known all-rounders, but if you ever get to see India’s 1983 World Cup game against Zimbabwe (if I remember correctly) you will get an idea as to why I picked Kapil Dev ahead of them.

Wicket Keeper
Adam Gilchrist (Australia) – A competent Wicket Keeper and the most explosive batsmen I have seen. Can turn a Test match in a session, and can make or break a one-dayer inside the first 10 overs.

Spin Bowler
I used to bowl either Medium Swing or Wrist Spinner, which is why I wanted to picked a left handed spinner, but I spent a couple of days racking my brain trying to remember one, then I spent time on the web and the only guy I could come up with was Dilip Doshi of India. A fairly good bowler in his day but not someone who influenced me greatly. In the end I chose a spinner from the 80’s who was real joy to watch.

Greg Matthews (Australia) – A real character on or off the field, by the end of his career was probably a better batsmen than bowler, but was a fairly consistant off spinner during a pretty poor period in Australian Cricket. Would always bowl with his cap on, which was a little odd.

Bowlers
Again I went with lefties, but there was one right handed bowler I couldn’t leave out.

Wasim Akram (Pakistan) – At his peak I thought Wasim Akram was the most magical bowler I’ve ever seen. He could make the ball do things I didn’t think was possible. I held him in such high regard, that during the Pakistani scandal and the rumour that Akram was involved, I thought about giving up on watching Cricket forever.

Michael Holding (West Indies) – The coolest dude on the planet with the greatest nickname ever. Whispering Death. I could never work out how he could bowl so fast, he would jog up to the pitch and gently roll his arm over. Somehow the ball reaches 140-150kph. And he bowled the best bounces outside of Joel Garner.

Mitchell Johnson (Australia) – Has returned from the wilderness to be the scariest bowler in the world at the moment. Just ask the Poms, I’ve never seen a bunch of grown men cower the way they did last summer. It was glorious to watch.

Apologises to so many players, but in particular Viv Richards, Desmond Haynes, Ian Botham, Dennis Lillee, Imran Khan, Rodney Marsh, Doug Walters, John Dyson, Chaminda Vass and Jeff Thompson.

Last edited:
1. David Warner
2. Kumar Sangakkara
3. Sachin Tendulker
4. Brian Lara
5. AB De Villers (c)
6. Jaques Kallis
7. Adam Gilchrist (k)
8. Shaun Pollock
9. Dale Steyn
10. Glenn McGrath
11. Shane Warne

Sanath Jayasuriya a good call and one who I overlooked due to forgetfulness.

.1- Michael Hussey
.2- murali vijay
.3- Rahul Dravid
.4- ab de villiers
.5- vvs laxman
.6- kumar sangakarra
.7- adam gilchrist
.8- Daniel vettori
.9- wasim akram
.10- Shane warne
.11-Shane bond

* only been watching cricket properly since 2000 so only picked those I've seen play in a match, not on replay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back