Your All Time ODI XI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes no sense.

If you want to pick a team for the last five overs, sure, take Afridi.

If you want to pick the best possible team for an entire match – which I thought was the purpose of the exercise – then picking Afridi instead of vastly superior batsmen is an obvious mistake.

I think you know that you've made an error but are unwilling to admit it. That's OK.
Nah. Gagf. That doesn't make sense and you fully know that. Players play roles.

Did I pick XI Afridis? Nup.

Don't tell me what I'm unwilling to admit or what I think. K?

Last edited:
Use your words, champ.

No. You picked one. Instead of Ponting or Lara. If the exercise is to pick the best possible ODI team, that's a mistake.

Why not? Are you willing to admit you made an error?

If not, you're unwilling. Like I said.

Didn't make an error. I intentionally put him in my team. Yet to hear your argument as to why I'm wrong other than there are better top order batsmen than him that don't play the same role in a team but that you think should be in the team out of their normal position. Which is novel, but would be largely ineffective when picking the best possible ODI team.

And some weird argument that seems to suggest that what has more impact on a match is what a captain sees on a team-sheet prior to the match as opposed to what happens on the field. That doesn't make heaps of sense, champ.

So, I'm not admitting I made any errors because I did something intentionally with rationale.

Still waiting for your team...

Didn't make an error.
Like I said, you are unwilling to admit it.

Yet to hear your argument as to why I'm wrong other than there are better top order batsmen than him that don't play the same role in a team but that you think should be in the team out of their normal position.
I wouldn't pick them out of their normal position. Maybe one spot lower but that's acceptable in this kind of exercise.

And some weird argument that seems to suggest that what has more impact on a match is what a captain sees on a team-sheet prior to the match as opposed to what happens on the field.
That was your formulation: 'What would an opposition captain least like to see?'

You asked who a captain would least like to see with five overs left. So yeah, if you're picking a team for the last five overs, then by all means take Afridi.

But if you want to pick a team to play an entire match, then I think an opposition captain would be much less happy to see Lara or Ponting on the sheet than a guy who averages 24. Do you disagree?

That was your formulation: 'What would an opposition captain least like to see?'

You asked who a captain would least like to see with five overs left. So yeah, if you're picking a team for the last five overs, then by all means take Afridi.

But if you want to pick a team to play an entire match, then I think an opposition captain would be much less happy to see Lara or Ponting on the sheet than a guy who averages 24. Do you disagree?

What does it matter what the opposition captains sees on the team sheet prior to the match?

What does it matter what the opposition captains sees on the team sheet prior to the match?
Because that's who is in the team.

Again, this is your formulation. You introduced it.

Would an opposition captain rather see Ponting/Lara or a guy who averages 24?

Because that's who is in the team.

Again, this is your formulation. You introduced it.

The "captain looking at the team sheet prior to the game" is my formulation?

And the question remains. In the last five overs of an ODI would you prefer Afridi, or Ponting batting for your team?
Are you picking a team for the last five overs?

If not, the question is: "Who would an opposition captain rather see on the team sheet before the start of play?"

Are you picking a team for the last five overs?

Why do you keep asking this? Strange question.

No, we are picking individuals to play individual roles within a team context. Afridi's role is to bat in the last 5-10 overs at a SR over 100.

Why do you keep asking this? Strange question.
Because you keep emphasising the last five overs as though that's what matters.

Are you picking a team to play the last five overs or an entire match?

If it's the entire match, then who would an opposition captain rather see on the team sheet before the start of play? Ponting/Lara or a guy who averages 24?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rinse and repeat...
Yeah, you're repeating yourself because you think it's a better option than answering the question.

Who would an opposition captain rather see on the team sheet before the start of play? Ponting/Lara or a guy who averages 24?

Only because you're unwilling to answer the question.

Who would an opposition captain rather see on the team sheet before the start of play? Ponting/Lara or a guy who averages 24?

At 7/8, he'd least prefer to see a guy who averages 24 while striking at 115.

Yeah, you're repeating yourself because you think it's a better option than answering the question.

Nice edit too. Make your argument seem better to you?

I've answered it every time you've asked.

How about you actually address my point about players playing specific roles within a team instead of repeating the same crap?
Because forcing you to double down on an obviously ill-conceived argument is too enjoyable.

You think a captain would rather see Ponting/Lara in the other team than a guy who averages 24?

You offer nothing of substance
Well, it's an obvious point but that doesn't mean it's not substantive: Ponting and Lara were vastly superior batsmen to Afridi so should therefore be picked before him in an ideal ODI side.

You've picked a guy with an average of 24 over two of the greatest ever ODI batsmen. It's a jarringly bad call.

How's that for a better effort?
It's fine. If the objective is to make it clear that you know you got it wrong.

You may notice that I never feel the need to post anything quite so wounded and indignant. It's because I know I'm right.

Last edited:
Well, it's an obvious point but that doesn't mean it's not substantive: Ponting and Lara were vastly superior batsmen to Afridi so should therefore be picked before him in an ideal ODI side.

You've picked a guy with an average of 24 over two of the greatest ever ODI batsmen. It's a jarringly bad call.

It's fine. If the objective is to make it clear that you know you got it wrong.

You may notice that I never feel the need to post anything quite so wounded and indignant. It's because I know I'm right.

Your inability to hear the opinions of others is intriguing.

Are you a pretentious twat? Or is it more an autism/aspergers thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back