Your basketball

Remove this Banner Ad

Just found this thread. Peaked ridiculously early in basketball. Have a brother that was 3yrs older than me, and I like to think anything he can do, I can do better. So when he was learning to play the game at age 6, I was there every step of the way @ age 3. Three years later, and I'm finally allowed to play my first game. Cue primary school dominance :) Lack of height, speed (not slow but not quick) and a non-existent vertical leap have eventually caught up to me. Did sneak in 3years of rep when I was younger as I was as money from deep as a 9-11yr old is ever going to be. Plus I got mad cross-over skills brah.

Anyway, these days (I'm 20) I just play with mates in 2 separate teams. About 2-3 times a season I heat up and relive the glory days. Interesting record my PB remains 6 trey's, all in preliminary finals. Two winning, 1 losing.

But anyway, like I said, casual these days. Well, sorta casual. Our Monday night team couldn't give a s**t, we lost our first 6 games by 30+ (This is D grade as well mind you) because no-one else in the team is any good, and no-one cares, we just run stupid plays etc.. Cue us recruiting a dominant big guy who is a mate of ours and going on a 5 game winning streak haha. We are marginally more serious, but still run our stupid plays and all that.

Anyway, a couple weeks back, we're up by 20 on this team, 6mins left. We've been mucking around a bit, and they're pissed - 2 unsportsmanlike fouls already in the game. So we run one of our plays - someone gets the ball ridiculously deep, about halfway between the 3pt line and the halfway line, the other four come up and set screens around the guy in a box whilst he throws up a prayer. Has worked once, needless to say it was a 45-60sec celebration FIFA11 style.

But on this occasion an opponent had had enough and elbowed one of our screeners in the back, knocking him down. Our big guy has had enough, and steps in "What was that?" "Can't be doing that s**t" etc.. Their guy is not backing down either - brave but silly move on his part, he's giving up a foot and 20kg's at least. Anyway, there guy has a swing at ours, doesn't connect but very close. Our big guy has almost lost it by this stage, and its taking every player from each team to hold their respective players back. After about a minute, they're starting to concede, although still having a go at each other.

And then...

Their one guy runs off the bench, sprints at our big guy and headbutts him in the back of the head. Well, thats it, our guys lost it now, and we get out of his way. Cue all in for the next 6mins. We have an actual support base, so we ridiculously outnumbered them, but punches were being thrown everywhere. Being 172cm and 73kgs my involvement was limited to pushing people trying to separate them, but to no avail.

Anyway, long story short, biggest fight I've seen on a sporting field, footy included. Had our tribunal hearing last week, we were reported as a team, they were reported as a team, and two of their guys were reported individually.

We as a team got 10 weeks, they got 15. The headbutter got 4yrs down to 12 months for a guilty plea (Make sense of that). We would've got less except the moron player that represented us pleaded not guilty to "fighting" o_O

Worst part about it is part of the ruling says that none of our players can play for any other teams either. So basically for standing there watching a fight involving my Monday night team, I'm now suspended from my Thursday night team for 10 weeks.

cAsEy_18

Pretty cool thread.

Used to play rep, school and domestic ball when I was a kid but dropped rep because I couldnt be bothered with training, then had to stop the rest due to injuries 5 years ago. Played half a season for my mates team in A-Grade mens and ended up top scoring every game. Averaged around 16-20 or so per game off the bench. Was social and competitive at the same time.

Will never forget my first game back for 5 years, was bringing the ball up the court, got around a few blokes, dished it off, got it back then hit a perfect 3. Thought to my self "yeah I still got it this is alright", next play was deep on the baseline and hit a huge turnaround J over some massive bloke. Ended up hitting 18 points in wog adidas trackies and vans shoes haha

Will never forget my first game back for 5 years, was bringing the ball up the court, got around a few blokes, dished it off, got it back then hit a perfect 3. Thought to my self "yeah I still got it this is alright", next play was deep on the baseline and hit a huge turnaround J over some massive bloke. Ended up hitting 18 points in wog adidas trackies and vans shoes haha

what comp at any level lets you wear trackpants? Let alone shorts with pockets?

Knox has asked for expressions of interest on a few new ideas:

86 Competition (lowered rings) (Monday)
86 is an exiting new game of basketball that uses lowered rings (to a height of 8 foot 6 inches) to encourage players to dunk the ball. Previously only viable for the very tall or very athletic now dunking is an option for most players. Come along and have some fun and slam dunk with the best of them . There are a few rules specific to this competition but the key changes revolve around limiting the time the defensive players can remain in the defensive key and rewarding player who dunk by allocating 3 points for a dunk. Limiting time in the key for both teams is designed to open the key up to encourage dunking. The rules can be found in the Senior Rules which can be downloaded using the following link xxxxx
Fees: Team registration fees and match fees are the same as for all competitions other than 3 on 3.

http://www.knoxbasketball.com.au/index.php?id=81

They tried that at Knox probably 7 or so years ago. It was fun but everyone lost interest halfway through the 1st season

what comp at any level lets you wear trackpants? Let alone shorts with pockets?

I wasn't even supposed to be playing, I only went to watch a few mates play and they needed another player or else they would have forfeited. I had to fold them up into somewhat shorts and have them inside out. I wasn't allowed to play in Vans either, but didn't have a choice. I thought it wasn't allowed as well but I guess it was over looked just once.

I wasn't even supposed to be playing, I only went to watch a few mates play and they needed another player or else they would have forfeited. I had to fold them up into somewhat shorts and have them inside out. I wasn't allowed to play in Vans either, but didn't have a choice. I thought it wasn't allowed as well but I guess it was over looked just once.

I see. Sketchy!

I see. Sketchy!
It was good fun. Biggest problem was they originally played it on Saturday nights during footy season so half the team were out pretty quickly. Problem number 2 was one of the teams was full of Raiders players from the SEABL team, needless to say I watched a game that they scored 180 points.
You play much down at knox? Fair chance I have played against you and maybe swung an elbow your way in the post. :D

It was good fun. Biggest problem was they originally played it on Saturday nights during footy season so half the team were out pretty quickly. Problem number 2 was one of the teams was full of Raiders players from the SEABL team, needless to say I watched a game that they scored 180 points.

Yeah it can only work if it has the chance to have differing divisions like normal comps. It should really be the 6"3 and under players getting a dunking chance :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah for years Thursday nights Div3 Mens. Pinkies. We/Me be average :)
Definately played against a team called pinkies. Ever remember one of 3 teams, Inglorious Baskets, Chefferys or Pineapple Express?
Yeah it can only work if it has the chance to have differing divisions like normal comps. It should really be the 6"3 and under players getting a dunking chance :)
Well, I'm out :p

Inglorious Baskets, Chefferys or Pineapple Express been playing there for years on many different teams. One of those teams would be the one you played against I would imagine. Young team all in our mid 20's

Yeah that'd be them. I think i remember a big tall shaved head/bald guy. A guy with a beard maybe or scraggly longish hair a bit shorter. Maybe a smaller dark skinned guy.

From memory we never got the choccies.

Yeah that'd be them. I think i remember a big tall shaved head/bald guy. A guy with a beard maybe or scraggly longish hair a bit shorter. Maybe a smaller dark skinned guy.

From memory we never got the choccies.
That's be us, enough of us taking over this thread.
When we play each other again I'll swing an elbow from the low post at a 6"2 bloke from your team so you can figure out who I am ;)

Aye.

No worries. I'll flop harder than Ginobli.

doq3xx.gif

I see. Sketchy!

Was very sketchy indeed. Almost done my knee again after sliding everywhere in the shoes!
I'm 6"2 so i'm in!
Jealous of height.

At home my ring is about 9cm lower than normal and I can dunk that with a full size ball and can touch a normal size ring, but just wish I had your height!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back