Your best 22 in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't Howlett kick 5 on him in Dreamtime?
Howlett did kick 5 but I don't know if any/all were on him specifically. I should say that I meant of 'late' even tho that was this year. As I said, he has improved a hell of a lot of late, and wont hang him for 1 bad game.

Howlett did kick 5 but I don't know if any/all were on him specifically. I should say that I meant of 'late' even tho that was this year. As I said, he has improved a hell of a lot of late, and wont hang him for 1 bad game.
I thought they were (except Rance's turnover, nothing he could have done about that). Right now I'd take Dempsey ahead of Houli, but not much in it. Dempsey's about a 7/10 defensively and the same offensively, Houli's 6/10 defensively and 8/10 offensively IMO.

AFL standard Depth based on exposed AFL/VFL form over the last 3 years.

Grima
Mullet
Gibson
Adams
Nahas
Brown
Currie
Wright
McKenzie
Harper
Dumont

Potential AFL Depth

Nielson
Tarrant
Vickers - Willis
MacMillan
Durdin
Daw
Jacobs
Wallace
Warren
Fordham
McMahon

As I said, its good depth for us, obviously, not at your level of absurdity. Harsh on Macmillan, some of our fans think he is a potential captain, but im with you in that its probably more likely to be at werribee.

AFL standard Depth based on exposed AFL/VFL form over the last 3 years.

Grima
Mullet
Gibson
Adams
Nahas
Brown
Currie
Wright
McKenzie
Harper
Dumont

Potential AFL Depth

Nielson
Tarrant
Vickers - Willis
MacMillan
Durdin
Daw
Jacobs
Wallace
Warren
Fordham
McMahon

As I said, its good depth for us, obviously, not at your level of absurdity. Harsh on Macmillan, some of our fans think he is a potential captain, but im with you in that its probably more likely to be at werribee.
Swap Currie and J-Mac and I'd say you've got that right from an outside perspective.

Defensively Dempsey has improved out of sight. He conceded the least goals for Essendon since his return and his man never kicked more than 2 goals on him. Although his offensive side is down, defensively improved a heap.
Didn't Matthew Watson kick 4 on Dempsey in the last round? Saved him from being cut

Didn't Matthew Watson kick 4 on Dempsey in the last round? Saved him from being cut
Kicking 4 on Dempsey is the difference between being cut and retained? o_O

That was on Hibberd for 3 of the 4, Watson only kicked 1 on Dempsey IIRC.

Kicking 4 on Dempsey is the difference between being cut and retained? o_O
Well it was a damn sight better than anything else he's produced. He wasn't much better than Bootsma as a defender.
That was on Hibberd for 3 of the 4, Watson only kicked 1 on Dempsey IIRC.
I thought it was Dempsey, but either way it's tough to blame the player. Seemed like there were instructions from the coach to play through Watson's opponent & show him no respect

Well it was a damn sight better than anything else he's produced. He wasn't much better than Bootsma as a defender.
Fair enough, wasn't knocking him. Thought he'd have to have done more than kick a few on Dempsey of all people to keep his spot (keeping in mind that you were probably being facetious).

I don't mind him, to be honest - seems like a nice bloke and carries himself well on the field. If his best hope is to make it as a forward, he'll be up against it, though.

I thought it was Dempsey, but either way it's tough to blame the player. Seemed like there were instructions from the coach to play through Watson's opponent & show him no respect
Yeah, pretty much. It was weird, we dropped Steinberg for basically no reason and Watson reaped the rewards.

Fair enough, wasn't knocking him. Thought he'd have to have done more than kick a few on Dempsey of all people to keep his spot (keeping in mind that you were probably being facetious).

I don't mind him, to be honest - seems like a nice bloke and carries himself well on the field. If his best hope is to make it as a forward, he'll be up against it, though.
I think he might've been OK as a forward in the VFL to be fair. Helps that he was a first round draft pick. You never know with these big blokes, he could be a completely different footballer next year. For now he's a great kick & not much else

I thought they were (except Rance's turnover, nothing he could have done about that). Right now I'd take Dempsey ahead of Houli, but not much in it. Dempsey's about a 7/10 defensively and the same offensively, Houli's 6/10 defensively and 8/10 offensively IMO.
Maybe, but I still think Houli is probably better than that. Anyway close enough.

I guess I would say the same too. Its a draw.
I'm personally a defence before attack man, but some people would say the opposite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm personally a defence before attack man, but some people would say the opposite.
I did actually edit that post. I am also for defence but you also have to offence too. I know for instance we envelope a 7th defender sometimes to provide cover, when a rebounder takes off on a run. Sometimes the fwd gets away in this circumstance, but again I like to have both.

WEST COAST

FB: Will Schofield ~ Eric Mackenzie ~ Sam Butler
HB: Shannon Hurn ~ Mitch Brown ~ Xavier Ellis

C: Matt Rosa ~ Matt Priddis ~ Andrew Gaff

HF: Chris Masten ~ Jeremy McGovern ~ Sharrod Wellingham
FF: Jack Darling ~ Josh Kennedy ~ Mark LeCras

FOLL: Nic Naitanui ~ Scott Selwood ~ Luke Shuey

INT: Beau Waters ~ Elliott Yeo ~ Scott Lycett
SUB: Jamie Cripps

In the mix: Jamie Bennell ~ Dom Sheed ~ Brad Sheppard ~ Mark Hutchings ~ Malcolm Karpany ~ Liam Duggan ~ Jackson Nelson ~ Alec Waterman

BACKS

Really experienced back line (nearly 700 games worth) mixed with stoppers and quality ball users.

A couple of years back I really dreaded when Darren Glass would retire because he was always so dependable down back. It wouldn’t matter how much depth we had the thought of no D.Glass on the team sheet filled me with fear but the emergence and reliability of Mackenzie in the number one defensive role, coupled with the improvement of Mitch Brown has eased my concerns somewhat. Adding the experience and class of Xavier Ellis off HB has shown benefits in 1 year already.

I can’t see what was considered as the strongest back six towards the back end of 2014 changing too much. The biggest differences would be where best to use Jeremy McGovern (tall defender/ KPF) and who the 6th defender is (currently Xavier Ellis).

Eric Mackenzie has become a more dependable defender over the past couple of seasons and unlucky not to be named All Australian in at least one of the last two years. Took the mantle from Darren Glass as the best/ most important defender more regularly during 2013 and 2014 and is ready to lead the back line regularly now.

Mitch Brown is a guy I’ve always been a fan of as a player. Through his injuries, uncertainty of his position within the best side and the squad in general, watching him battle away at WAFL level, losing out to experienced forwards etc. and for me it’s encouraging to finally see the faith we put in him put to use more regularly. Has all the traits to be a quality CHB I think and I really hope he sticks with the club long term as a one club player.

Will Schofield my opinion is divided on. Not picked as being a lock best 22 player but more as cover depending a lot on which role Jeremy McGovern plays. For me Schofield has been played out of position (out of necessity) too many times over his career as he’s not a powerful defender capable of going one on one with beast forwards but better used as a third tall defender who can use his athletic endurance to run out of the back half or lock down on either a third tall pocket/ flanker forward or lead up CHF like Nick Riewoldt.

I found it hard to split Bennell and Butler in the back pocket but in the end the experience and surety of Butler in that negating role swayed me to picking him there. Wasn’t part of Simpson’s plans in the first half of the year before getting a reprieve against the Suns in Round 13 and playing every game after not only negating his opponent but winning the ball and using his neat foot skills from the back half. Has his best game against Collingwood with 32 touches, 14 marks and 3 tackles. Against Richmond in the wet in Round 18 he finished with 7 tackles.

Can’t help but love Shannon Hurn. Quietly user the ball off HB and is now a club captain and a life member after brining up his 150th in 2014. Not the most productive ball winner in the team or the flashiest player but 15 to 20 quality Hurn possessions a game are worth their weight in gold. Has all the traits to be a terrific leader at West Coast, well loved and respected team member and player. Turned his back on Free Agency to arguably be a one club player.

After arriving from Hawthorn in the 2013 off season Xavier Ellis quickly settled into the Eagles best 22, as a lot of experts expected he would. Classy ball user off HB which you can never have enough of and a good decision maker with ball in hand. Had a better run with injury in 2014 resulting in 17 games after being restricted to 16 games in 3 seasons at Hawthorn. Again injury permitting is a best 21 lock in 2015. Great player to have at the club.

Elliott Yeo had his first year at the club in season 2014 and found a niche for himself off HB initially before playing through the midfield. Fans accepted him as ours early in the season with a strong defensive game in R1 before he moved into the midfield and showed his clearance capabilities. Missed a large chunk of the year with a broken hand but came back for the last game of the year and is a definite player to look out for in the future.

Beau Waters like Shannon Hurn is a well loved and respected leader within the team. Didn’t get a game in 2014 after shoulder surgery complications from late in 2013. Tough as nails defender who could be an option as a defensive forward as well it will be great to have a fully fit Waters back in 2015 for his leadership and hardness alone.

Unfortunately for Jamie Bennell 23 doesn't fit into 22. Sam Butler's senior experience got him over the line at selection in the BP in a role where Bennell has succeeded in a short career with West Coast so far. I almost made him the SUB as well but thought Cripps was a better substitute option. Playing good consistent foot at WAFL level is the first box that he needs to tick before switching that form to AFL.

MIDFIELDERS

14 games in 2014 for Rosa in a season that promised so much but was cut short by injury after R 16 averaging 25 touches and 3 tackles a game. Entering his 11th season and bought up his 150th game in 2014 his experience and ability to run on the wings is vital. Stayed loyal to the club despite the lure of free agency and is a real leader in the midfield who if he has an injury free season is one of the reasons why West Coast can improve in 2015.

Matty Priddis. ALL HAIL THE REIGNING BROWNLOW MEDALIST AND THAT MOP OF GOLDEN CURLY HAIR!!! 22 matches in 2015 averaging 28.5 touches and 7 tackles game. Not the most effective ball user by foot but he just attracts the ball and goes hard at the ball consistently. Surprising winner of the Brownlow but you can’t deny that he is a player that is under the umpires watch constantly meaning he gets noticed regularly. The midfield general, who has now played 173 games and coming off his best season in terms of possessions and second best in tackles.

Andrew Gaff’s going into his 5th season now and coming off what would be considered his best season yet. Struggled with hard tags earlier in his career as opposition teams noticed his effectiveness more but has built his body strength more to make him less of a liability in the area. Had his best season in terms of tackling pressure but in his role as an endurance running outside ball winning midfielder his tackle counts will never be overly high. Classy user of the ball by foot needs to use it more regularly and get that differential between kicking and handballing higher. If he can go 3 or 4 kicks to 1 handball it would be ideal. Had his best season in terms of scoreboard use as well and re-signed along with the fellow 2010 draftees during 2014

Scott Selwood like Matt Rosa is another player who if he has an injury free year will push the Eagles higher up the ladder. In 12 games averaged 20 touches and 5 tackles a game and bring a real hard edge to the midfield. It’s often debated whether his best use is as a ball winner or stopper. Argaubly had his best and most productive season at the club as a bal winner in 2012 winning the Best and Fairest but in a midfield with players who can attract the ball my opinion is I’d rather see him sacrifice that side of his game to be a stopper that can win the ball like Kane Cornes has done at Port but failing that I think his best use is as a midfield tagger.

After an injury curtailed 2013 season Luke Shuey was back in full flight again in 2014 and re-signed with the club until the end of 2018. The most encouraging thing is I think he can still get better yet and become more consistent especially when tagged heavily. The difference between his productive and quite games is too big at the moment. If he can bridge that gap than it’s happy days. Still averaged 24 touches and 4 tackles a game over 20 games. Hits the scoreboard as well kicking 20 in 2014 and 75 in an 86 game career. In a one paced centre square his speed away from stoppages is crucial.

I’m not going to write up on Yeo again but him being in the midfield rotations is essential. The buzz players in midfields these days is taller midfielders who have bigged bodies and are strong at the contest. This is Yeo and it’s what he brings to a second string midfield with Masten and co.

Dom Sheed, Brad Sheppard and Mark Hutchings are the next midfielders in line depending on what type of midfielder is needed at the time. Mark Hutchings is arguably the most stiff of the 3 but a fit Scott Selwood nudges him back to the WAFL, Sheppard is experienced at WAFL level but like Bennell needs to consistently produce at WAFL level for a chance on the big stage. If he is in form and someone like Wellingham isn;t producing I'd like to see him get opportunities at higher level.

Sheed got senior exposure in 2014 which was terrific for his development. Definitely a midfielder to watch in his progress in the future.

RUCKS

The generational ruck change at West Coast has been completed. I think Scott Lycett will be pleased about that. Nic Naitanui as the senior ruckman has a lot of responsibility in the ruck role in 2014 but Scott Lycett will be a more than handy second fiddle IMO.

Averaged 20 hit outs and 3 tackles a game over 20 games in 2014 racking up hit outs against Richmond in Round 18, granted it was a stoppages based game because of poor weather conditions but it’s a big effort especially after Dean Cox was subbed out concussed.

I’m a bit Naitanui fan. Can’t get enough of the big boy when he’s on fire but the chasm between his most effective and least effective games is to large. I think taking the lead ruck role regularly will make bridge that gap massively. Has the raw talent and now the body size to average 15 to 20 touches and 25 hit outs a games with a fair proportion of them contested possessions as well. A fully fit Naitanui is a massive bonus for West Coast and another box to tick if we are to improve.

Scott Lycett has waited and waited a few seasons for a regular opportunity at AFL level like most young ruckmen but he is in a perfect position now to make a difference at AFL level. Stayed loyal to the club which wouldn’t have been easy to do because I’m sure both SA clubs would have circled an out of contract ruckman. Most recently re-signing to 2018 a great show of faith.

Easily had his best season in 2014 mainly because of getting greater opportunities at AFL level where he played 7 sporadically placed games up until Round 18 before holding his spot for the last 5 rounds. More regular senior action in 2015 and the AFL community will stand and take more notice I think as he impacts games more. Has developed really well at WAFL level with Peel and East Perth for two seasons respectively and can now be seen as a key tall target inside 50 averaging a goal a game at AFL level in 2014 including a bag of 4 in the game against Collingwood. His lack of defensive pressure inside 50 could cause questions but if we can isolate him deep than 20 – 30 goals for the season as a resting ruckman is a viable target.

FORWARDS

The forward line is mixed with strong bodies in McGovern, Kennedy and Darling, the classy finishing of LeCras while Masten and Wellingham are second string midfielder/ forwards. Wellingham and Masten have a big job in terms of winning the ball but also keeping it locked in inside 50 for the big forwards and LeCras to do their magic. Experienced group but a lot of pressure falls on the dynamic HFFs.

Masten had a consistent 2014 averaging 22 touches a game and only missing one game. Consistently has been the best runner at the club for years and trained many a house down near Subiaco. Surprised to see there is still houses upstanding. His disposal efficiency is arguably his weakest area but has proved to be a goal kicking midfielder in the past netting 20 in 2012.

Wellingham is the biggest disappointment for mine. Should be well and truly be set in the best 22 but the facts are he isn’t and that stood out in 2014 when he was dropped 3 times and struggled to adjust to the new coaching plan. Had injury issues at WAFL level also which finished his season early. His third year at Collingwood was his break out year and finished with a premiership so I’m hoping his third season at West Coast will see him break out in the yellow and blue and show some much needed consistency and versatility in his game. Proved at Collingwood that he could be a ball winning, goal kicking midfielder who applied good defensive pressure as well. This is the Wellingham I want to see.

Mark LeCras’s value was seen partially in the midfield as well as inside 50 in 2014. Dead eye kick for a forward and there is no small forward in the team that stands as a peer to him and his class which makes having him on the park so crucial. Would be great to have a second LeCras with his classy ball use through the midfield to hit up the forwards up as well but his most efficient use is as a forward. Averaged 2 goals a game in 15 games and if injuries are good to us and LeCras along with the 3 big forwards have injury free seasons they are a legitimate threat to kick 200 goals + between the 4 of them the season.

Jack Darling had another consistent season and finished top 5 in the B & F for the third successive year. Fourth at the club for contested possessions and second for contested marks so he loves the hard stuff. Has played as an undersized CHF for much of his career but 2015 after the emergence of Jeremy McGovern could see him dominate inside 50 further as a deeper third tall forward and potentially a bigger bodied bash and crash midfielder. As a forward kicked 39 goals in 22 games, a touch under 2 goals a game and was a goal kicker in every game bar 2. My opinion is he’s far too dangerous inside 50 to be moved to far away from there. Could be a 5 – 10 minute burst a quarter midfielder.

Jeremy McGovern was easily the best club story of 2014. Spent time on the rookie list, got upgraded and was than sent away from 2014 pre-season training for not meeting fitness requirements. Took the kick up the butt and bounced back hard when he got his chance to play at AFL level. Debuted in Round 6, got a reprieve in Round 12 and didn’t miss a beat after that leading the club in contested marks. A big achievement in a team that includes Darling and Josh Kennedy. Can play at both ends with ease and reads the play well but with his superior size and marking ability I’d prefer to see him at CHF. Definite player of the future with his exceptional reading of the play.

Josh Kennedy was the chief goal kicker again in 2014 kicking 61 at a touch over 3 a game finishing the season with bags of 5, 4 and 8 in the last 5 games. Fitness pending he’ll continue to be the go to man inside 50 during 2015 but having that extra tall forward in McGovern contributing regularly should assist his game and takes an extra tall defender away from Kennedy.

As I wrote up on Beau Waters before he is a genuine option as a defensive forward picking up any slack of Wellingham.

Jamie Cripps coming on as Sub is the other small forward option applying that tackling and scoreboard pressure. Looking back on Cripps’s 2014 season it genuinely shocked me to see that he got a top 10 placing in the B & F despite being dropped back to the WAFL, a testament of how the club feels he plays his role and the importance of his role within the team.

DRAFTEE WATCH (2014)

A strong National Draft from the club. We’ve got 1 out and out midfielder in Alec Waterman, 2 midfield utilities in Liam Duggan and Damian Cavka, a forward utility in Tom Lamb and a defensive utility in Jackson Nelson. Each draftee comes with their own special traits that could see them debut during 2015 and Simpson has openly said that he feels they all have the potential to debut.

Liam Duggan comes as a first round draft pick but his leadership qualities are just as renowned as his playing ability which is really encouraging. I’d say him and Alec Waterman are the two draftees in the best position to debut early. Duggan with his endurance running skills and variety of inside and outside game whereas Waterman is just a pure midfielder and ball magnet at local footy level. The biggest concern with Waterman is it adds to the perceived one paced midfield.

Getting Tom Lamb with our second pick is a steal but for all his attacking attributes there are deficiencies in his game in particular his consistency. I’d like to see him get some form in the WAFL as a high half forward and midfielder before giving him a shot at AFL level. Superb talent but.

For a 3rd and 4th round draft pick respectively I can see a lot of value in Jackson Nelson and Damian Cavka. In a back line that doesn’t bat very deep in terms of mid/small sized lock down defenders I can see Nelson being around the mark for selection if one of the regulars goes down or is out of form. At the time of the draft was arguably the most advanced physically of all 4 Vic boys drafted. I think long term he is definiately a BP/HB option.

Cavka is just a running and endurance machine. Can play multiple roles and with Gaff and Cavka, endurance running machines as the two future wingers they could be a handful particularly on the wide expanses of Patersons.

2013 – Malcolm Karpany

Sheed showed glimpses of what he could do at AFL level in 2014 but what we didn’t see was Malcolm Karpany. Had a restricted season due to injury and played largely in East Perth’s reserves team so he is coming from a way back but the facts are there is a need for a played like him inside 50 as a smart and speedy crumbing forward.

East Perth WAFL Seniors team (West Coast's 2nds) BOLDED players are WCE listed

FB: Jamie Bennell ~ Nathan Blee ~ Rowen Powell
HB:
Patrick McGinnity ~ Tom Barrass ~ Brad Sheppard

C: Craig Wulff ~ Garry Moss ~ Dom Sheed

HF: Josh Hill ~ Fraser McInnes ~ Simon Tunbridge
FF: Malcolm Karpany
~ Josh Smith ~ Paul Johnson

FOLL: Callum Sinclair ~ Brendan Lee ~ Mark Hutchings

INT: Freddie Clutterbuck ~ Will Maginness ~ Brandt Colledge ~ Liam Duggan

I’ve added some of the more experienced East Perth regulars. Not sure what their best 22 was looking like during seasons 2014 but guys like Wulff the skipper, Moss, Smith, Johnson, Clutterbuck and Blee are all senior experienced WAFL players

East Perth Reserves (West Coast's 3rd's)

The following players I’ve picked for East Perth’s ressies for various reasons.

Corey Adamson ~ Paddy Brophy ~ Damian Cavka ~ Tom Lamb ~ Kane Lucas ~ Dylan Main ~ Jackson Nelson ~ Murray Newman ~ Alec Waterman

Some are only just starting out in the game (Irish rookie Paddy Brophy), some coming back after a time away from the game (baseball convert Corey Adamson) and in Murray Newman's case he's had a year away from the game.

Cavka, Lamb, Main, Nelson and Waterman are first to second year senior listed players who have time on their side to build their bodies in there gym and build their game more against men. Waterman is the most likely of the 5 to push for East Perth league matches.

Kane Lucas as a rookie is experienced enough to play 1’s for East Perth but he’s got a tough midfield to break into.

Defensively Dempsey has improved out of sight. He conceded the least goals for Essendon since his return and his man never kicked more than 2 goals on him. Although his offensive side is down, defensively improved a heap.

Woops, misread your quote.
wasnt just talking about the defensive side of his game. most times ive watched the bombers all i see is a bloke who panics a lot thus turning the ball over under pressure.

i have little time for a lot of my own players and i see similar traits in opposition players. dempsey is one.

East Perth WAFL Seniors team (West Coast's 2nds) BOLDED players are WCE listed

FB: Jamie Bennell ~ Nathan Blee ~ Rowen Powell
HB:
Patrick McGinnity ~ Tom Barrass ~ Brad Sheppard

C: Craig Wulff ~ Garry Moss ~ Dom Sheed

HF: Josh Hill ~ Fraser McInnes ~ Simon Tunbridge
FF: Malcolm Karpany
~ Josh Smith ~ Paul Johnson

FOLL: Callum Sinclair ~ Brendan Lee ~ Mark Hutchings

INT: Freddie Clutterbuck ~ Will Maginness ~ Brandt Colledge ~ Liam Duggan

I’ve added some of the more experienced East Perth regulars. Not sure what their best 22 was looking like during seasons 2014 but guys like Wulff the skipper, Moss, Smith, Johnson, Clutterbuck and Blee are all senior experienced WAFL players

East Perth Reserves (West Coast's 3rd's)

The following players I’ve picked for East Perth’s ressies for various reasons.

Corey Adamson ~ Paddy Brophy ~ Damian Cavka ~ Tom Lamb ~ Kane Lucas ~ Dylan Main ~ Jackson Nelson ~ Murray Newman ~ Alec Waterman

Some are only just starting out in the game (Irish rookie Paddy Brophy), some coming back after a time away from the game (baseball convert Corey Adamson) and in Murray Newman's case he's had a year away from the game.

Cavka, Lamb, Main, Nelson and Waterman are first to second year senior listed players who have time on their side to build their bodies in there gym and build their game more against men. Waterman is the most likely of the 5 to push for East Perth league matches.

Kane Lucas as a rookie is experienced enough to play 1’s for East Perth but he’s got a tough midfield to break into.

I reckon Mark Hutchings is in your best 22.

I reckon Mark Hutchings is in your best 22.

It's an interesting point you make WWSD and a valid one. He's the type of strong midfielder who can easily verify selection over Wellingham if Sharrod's form isn't up to scratch. Depends a lot on the fitness of Beau Waters as well.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

FB: Liam Picken ~ Jordan Roughead ~ Dale Morris
HB: Robert Murphy ~ Michael Talia ~ Easton Wood

C: Jack Macrae ~ Tom Liberatore ~ Marcus Bontempelli

HF: Jake Stringer ~ Stewart Crameri ~ Nathan Hrovat
FF: Jarrad Grant ~ Tom Boyd ~ Luke Dahlhaus

FOLL: Will Minson ~ Mitch Wallis ~ Matthew Boyd

INT: Tom Campbell ~ Jason Johannisen ~ Lachie Hunter
SUB: Shane Biggs

In the mix: Joel Hamling ~ Koby Stevens ~ Clay Smith (fitness pending) ~ Mitch Honeychurch ~ Caleb Daniel ~ Zaine Cordy ~ Fletcher Roberts ~ Toby McLean ~ Jack Redpath ~ Tory Dickson ~ Lukas Webb

BACKS

Dale Morris, Robert Murphy and Liam Picken are the real experienced trio in that back line. Jordan Roughead’s played 70 games now and was recently named vice captain for season 2015. Michael Talia has some AFL footy behind him now and will look to get further exposure during 2015. Easton Wood’s a bit of an anomaly. Made his debut in 2009 but has had a career wrecked with injury limiting his senior involvement before season 2014. Had his best year in 2014 playing in 18 of the 19 games before Round 20 averaging 15 touches and 2 tackles a game. Adds experience, versatility and a hardened body to the back line. Coming across from Sydney, Shane Biggs is another option as that sixth defender/ HBF.

Roughead and Talia are still forging careers as KPD at AFL level but they’ve both showed they have a lot to work with. If the Bulldogs can hold onto these two long term they will be heading in the right direction. Roughead was drafted as a ruckman size player, but was thrust into the key defender role after the departure of Brian Lake when the Bulldogs needed big bodied defenders to handle the big bodied forwards. Had a strong season in 2013 playing every game and establishing his role at FB. 2014 was a difficult year after a 7 week layoff from AFL duties with an injured AC joint but after returning only missed 2 more games for the year. A key part of the Bulldogs future plans he finished in the top 10 in the competition for one percenters per game. Now has a big power forward in Tom Boyd to oppose at training and test his defensive game on as well.

Michael Talia’s got a big job holding down CHB as a relatively inexperienced AFL player. Persistence is the key with him also because there isn’t great depth in experience for that second tall defender role at the Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs added Joel Hamling from Geelong in the off season, a player starved of opportunity but adds depth in that tall defensive role for the Bulldogs. Watch his pre-season with interest. Fletcher Roberts is another option that has been tried more in the forward half at AFL and VFL level but with the addition of Tom Boyd to the forward line and big forward Jack Redpath who broke through for a senior debut in 2014 his role may chance.

Zaine Cordy is a player who came into the team at the 2014 draft. Still has some filling out to do in his body and will miss a large chunk of the pre-season after shoulder surgery but post 2015 he may be a Dale Morris defensive replacement.

Liam Picken’s played as an effective shut down midfield/ defender for a few years now and has taken many scalps of the period. Is just as capable as a run with midfielder but with his experience in a younger and inexperienced back half will be valuable. Had a consistent 2014 averaging 18 touches and 4.5 tackles a game over 22 games showing a balance between defensive play and winning his own ball. All being well he’ll rack up 150 games in 2015.

Dale Morris has become a mainstay of the defence for years and is the most experienced defender there. Often getting the tough jobs and needing to play above his size capacity his experienced and leadership is hugely important for the Bulldogs. All Australian player in a finals season of 2008 his 2014 was again consistent and durable. Played 18 games only missing Rounds 5 and 6 but again with Murphy provided much needed experience down back. Ranked 17th in the comp for one percenters.

As two of his experienced former team mates in Cooney and Griffen left the club at the end of 2014, Murphy showed his true qualities by sticking tough with Bulldogs and was duly rewarded with being named Captain for 2015. Like a fine wine Murphy showed in 2014 that his best footy isn’t past him despite entering his 16th AFL listed season in 2015 having a career best season for disposals and averaging more than a tackle a game, played his 250th game and didn’t miss a game for only the third year in his career. Averaging 20 disposals at better than 80 percent he ranked 7th in the league for rebound 50s and equal 11th for running bounces showcasing his run and carry game off HB. His experience and leadership in a young team is critical.

Easton Wood’s 6 years as an AFL player have been littered with injuries but in 2014 he had his strongest year yet playing 18 of the first 19 games before a broken hand ended his season early. Chalked up his 50th senior game in 2014 but plays with experience beyond his game tally. Plays as an athletic and attacking defender who wins the ball but is just as capable at locking down on dangerous forwards. In a relatively young team his senior experience having been around the club since season 2008 will come in handy again.

Jason Johannisen’s pace and ball use off HB are an asset to the Bulldogs back half. His defensive pressure improved in 2014 as well averaging 2 tackle a game but is best seen as an offensive weapon.

Shane Biggs wasn’t the highest profile Sydney based recruit to join the Bulldogs in the 2014 trade period but is arguably the most equipped. Arrived at the Bulldogs from Sydney during the trade period as a matured aged attacking defender with senior exposure. Smart user of the ball off HB or in the midfield he works hard to get the ball. Faces competition for a place in the side with players like Koby Stevens, Clay Smith and Mitch Honeychurch on the outer.

MIDFIELDERS

Jack Macrae’s made a big impact at the club and in the AFL community in his two years at the Bulldogs. Won the best first year player after season 2013 only to take another step up and finish second in the club best and fairest in 2014. Has played with experience beyond his young years and relative inexperience at AFL level but he will need to continue the upward curve as opposition teams take more midfield notice of him without midfield partners in crime Adam Cooney and Ryan Griffen. Averaged close to 27 touches a game over 21 games, a higher possession average than a host of star midfielders in the competition while going at 73% efficiency. His season high was 43 touches as he dragged his team to a win over the Suns but he won’t be afforded that luxury anymore in 2015 as opposition teams test him and his perceived weakness in defensive game.

Marcus Bontempelli’s first year generated a lot of talk both inside and outside of the kennel. Recognised as the best first year player at the AFLPA awards in a landslide decision (as voted by the players association) which arguably holds more esteem than the NAB Rising Star because it’s voted for by the players themselves. Lost the Rising Star completion by one vote from Lewis Taylor in what was the closest count in history.

Debuted in Round 5, played again in Round 7 than from Rounds 10 – 23 held his spot and generated much excitement in AFL circles. In 16 games he kicked 15 goals, averaged 16 touches and 3 tackles a game finishing top of the draft class for inside 50s, third for clearances and fifth for goals. The exciting thing for the Bulldogs and daunting thing for the competition is that the upside in Bontempelli is enormous. From all reports has bulked up over the pre-season and with continued hard work greater rewards and greater consistency will come.

Tom Liberatore continued on from his strong 2013 season when he was statically the best inside mid of the comp. Was nominated for All Australian selection (without making the final 22), won the Charlie Sutton medal, the first of many Best and Fairest’s I presume, finished first in the comp for tackles and clearances whilst finishing in the top 10 for contested possessions. His hardness at the ball and man assists his more outside midfielders in gaining first use. Like Jackson Macrae as a midfield leader he needs to continue on that upward curve to cover the losses of experienced midfielders in Cooney and Griffen and to a lesser extent the experienced Shaun Higgins while Matthew Boys nears the end of his career as well. In my opinion he shapes as a standout future Captain at the team.

Mitch Wallis arrived at the Bulldogs at the same time as Tom Liberatore as father/ son draftees. While his career hasn’t generated as much talk in the completion as Liberatore’s has his value is regarded highly within his own team. Played 13 games and chalked up his 50th game in 2014 playing largely a different role as an effective tagging midfielder. His start of the year was quiet and was subsequently sent to the VFL after Round 5. Worked hard at VFL level and got a reprieve in until Round 11 playing 8 consecutive games as a tagger and negating some big midfield names before injury finished his tagging job against Dyson Heppell and season early. Didn’t find as much of the ball as previous years but it was his tackles, blocks and ability to clear space for team mates that made him stand out within the team. His “possessions under pressure” numbers were at 80%, the highest average in the competition again highlighting his team importance.

Matthew Boyd is the experienced head in the midfield and his role is more pivotal given they lost over 420 games of hard bodied midfield experience and leadership in the off season. Entering his 13th successive season as an AFL player the former captain has possibly played on for another season because of the experience lost in the midfield. Played 19 games in 2014 and is only 11 games away from his 250th now he is a proven reliable, hard worker in the midfield. Wasn’t his usual inside specialist best as Tom Liberatore and Mitch Wallis took that role more regularly but still averaged 26 touches a game. It was vintage Matthew Boyd against the Demons late in the season when the Bulldogs got over the Demons. 32 possessions, 20 contested, 9 clearances and 8 tackles in a midfield that was missing Griffen and Cooney. Arguably entering his final season his midfield experience, leadership and mentoring of the younger midfielders is valuable again.

In his second year at the Bulldogs Lachie Hunter made a statement as a midfielder/ forward with a balance of inside midfield play, pace and x factor on the outside and finishing in front of goal. Averaged 14 touches a game while ranking 3rd amongst the rising stars for goal assists and 10th for inside 50s in his 14 games.

Koby Stevens is unlucky but with a relatively inexperienced forward line an experienced forward in Jarrad Grant or Tory Dickson was needed. A fit Clay Smith is another hard at it midfielder with pace who competes strongly but his start to 2015 will be hampered by recovery from an ACL injury.

RUCKS

I think under the new coaching staff 2 genuine rucks will be a regular thing at the Bulldogs. A lot of the effort has fallen onto Will Minson in the past but with a new senior coach coming from Hawthorn where they regularly used two rucks I see Tom Campbell as a best 22 regular form and fitness pending.

As a lone ruckman it’s not uncommon to see Will Minson averaging 30 hit outs plus per game and 2014 was no different averaging 36 hit outs over 21 matches (fifth most in the league) with a season high 55 hit outs against Richmond in Round 2 also crossing 40 hit outs another 6 times. Compared to his 2103 All Australian season his impact wasn’t felt as much and was subsequently sent to the VFL for a late season game. Where he needs to impact more is around the ground with his disposal tally, tackle count, marks and with Tom Campbell interchanging deep inside 50 as a goal kicker.

Like all younger ruckman’s Tom Campbell’s AFL career has been a slow progress. 20 games in 3 full seasons but he stands out as the most equipped player to relieve Minson’s workload. Had a strong season at VFL level and led the J.J Liston Medal at Round 15 only to play every game at AFL level after that so he is primed to begin making an impact at AFL level at 2015. When he came into the team late was used with success as a deep forward however with the acquisition of Tom Boyd his use inside 50 would be more as a resting ruckman FP than out of the square FF.

If one of Minson or Campbell are unavailable the genuine ruck stocks are pretty bare however Jordan Roughead and Tom Boyd are two guys very capable of ruck assistance.

FORWARDS

The forward line is very youthful and lacks experience but it has plenty of youthful x factor in Jake Stringer, Nathan Hrovat, Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Boyd and Lachie Hunter.

They got the power forward they so desperately wanted in Tom Boyd from the Giants. They needed to give up an experienced midfielder in Griffen to get the deal done but the facts are both players were unhappy with their current clubs and however unbalanced the trade might seem both players got what they wanted which in Boyd’s case was a return to Victoria and Griffen’s case to get away from the Bulldogs.

Jake Stringer is a player with serious talent and x factor. From reports I’ve heard he has trained with the midfield group during the pre-season and definitely has the right attitude and hunger for the contest to play as a forward/ midfielder. Awkward size to match up for a defender as he is virtually KPP size with a strong body and isn’t beaten regularly. Played majority as a forward during 2014 and averaged 1.5 goals a game over 18 matches to finish second on the club goal kicking list. Spent some time in the VFL in the middle of the season but earned a reprieve as a second tall forward for the last 9 games kicking 22 goals including a bag of 5 in a 7 point loss and two bags of 4 in wins. With increased midfield time his disposal averages will get higher.

Nathan Hrovat’s a busy midfielder who has shown he knows where the goals are when playing forward. Injuries restricted his output in the first half of the year but after getting a chance in Round 11 he didn’t miss a beat and showed the ball winning qualities that made him a highly rated junior. Composed when he gets the ball he balances his game between hard work inside and class on the outside. If he stays fit he’s definitely ready to be a regular at AFL level and will be a key part of the younger midfield brigade at the Bulldogs. Ranked second from the rising stars in terms of disposal average per game.

Luke Dahlhaus broke the shackles of small forward after increasing his fitness base and spent much more time through the midfield in season 2014, proving he could be a big ball winner for the team and got noticed by opposition teams accordingly. Had a season and career high 32 touches against Essendon early in the season and along with Stringer, Hrovat and Hunter will build a strong ball winning but youthful second tier midfield. Continued showing his defensive pressure skills as well as attacking ball winning flair averaging 4 tackles a game and finished inside the top 5 for Bulldogs tackles in 2014 but wasn’t as prominent on the scoreboard averaging under a goal a game.

I’ve listed Jarrad Grant as the 6th forward. I think the best word to sum him up as a forward is mercurial. Can change the course of a game within 5 minutes with his height and athleticism creating difficult match ups for opponents. Going into his 8th season on the Bulldogs list and yet to crack 65 games he needs a big season to impress the new coach as well. Has been seen as at the Bulldogs great hope inside 50 for some years but has never been able to fill his body out to achieve his best. Undoubtedly a talented player he just needs the opportunity to show his talent regularly enough.

Stewart Crameri arrived at the Bulldogs before season 2014 as a powerful forward from the Bombers and as a goal kicking forward had a strong impact playing every game, kicking a career high 37 goals including four bags of 4 and laying a career high 55 tackles but his experience working with a young forward group is where his value is best seen. Will have Tom Boyd to work with regularly in 2015 which will be a large burden off his shoulders as the main go to forward.

I think at the start of the trade period if you said to a Bulldogs fan they’d get young gun GWS forward Tom Boyd at the expense of Ryan Griffen they’d take the deal. The most talked about trade of the trade period and after a lot of talk between the Bulldogs and GWS teams trade number 10 was completed on the 15th of October. TOM BOYD WAS A BULLDOG. They had the power forward they’d chase since Barry Hall retired. Much has been said about his pay packet and for an unestablished 9 game player I tend to agree but the raw talent is there for the AFL world to see. 9 games for 8 goals is a modest output from 2014 for Boyd but being in a team with two set power forwards in Jeremy Cameron and Jonathan Patton exposure would be limited.

Has some great attributes to offer to the Bulldogs forward line but. Big size and leap, is quick off the mark and takes a solid grab while showing great examples in leadership at under 18 level. Good luck with him Bulldogs. If you can hold onto him long term he’s a massive asset to have and like Franklin at Sydney would be worth every dollar spent at the turnstiles alone. A player like Tom Boyd will bring Doggies fans to the games in droves.

Mitch Honeychurch is another of the 2013 draft crop who showed glimpse of talent in his debut year. Still light bodied leading to think he could be used as a smaller forward under the feet of Crameri and Boyd inside 50 but what he lacks in size he makes up for in competitiveness and hard work.

DRAFTEE WATCH (2014)

They went for a lot of smaller to mid-sized midfielders and forwards in the draft except for the FS draftee Zaine Cordy.

The one who seems to be generating a lot of talk is Caleb Daniel. May be short in stature but the wraps on him at the Kennel are large. A midfielder who attracts the ball and uses it well he has had senior experience at SANFL level and shared top honours at the combine for the beep test.

Declan Hamilton comes from a good bloodline being a nephew of the Jarman’s from Adelaide. If he can be as clever a goal sneak as Uncle Darren than he has an exciting career ahead.

Toby McLean and Lukas Webb are both small/ mid-sized forwards as well who win the ball and use it well.

2013 – Tom Boyd

Don’t need to say much more here. The Bulldogs rate him very highly and with good reason to. Hope he’s not expecting immediate success or finals because he should have probably looked elsewhere otherwise, but in the long run if he sticks it out with the Bulldogs I’m sure he’ll be happy he made the switch.

Last edited:
If Crameri happens to get suspended that is going to be one incredibly inexperienced forward line!
Jarrad Grant and Tory Dickson probably play if fit, which balances it out to a degree. I doubt Crameri will be missing for long, in the event that he's suspended.

I'd play Hrovat in the middle and put Honeychurch at Boyd's feet, too. The Rat is ready for the midfield.

It's a generally inexperienced side, regardless - while I'm not so sure that the losses of Cooney and Higgins will hurt, there's been a massive loss of experience all over the park and we'll rely on players in the 50-80 games range to go to the next level, if we're to be competitive.

RICHMOND

FB: Steven Morris ~ Alex Rance ~ David Astbury
HB: Bachar Houli ~ Troy Chaplin ~ Nick Vlastuin

C: Brandon Ellis ~ Trent Cotchin ~ Shaun Grigg

HF: Dustin Martin ~ Ben Griffiths ~ Brett Deledio
FF: Shane Edwards – Jack Riewoldt ~ Matthew McDonough

FOLL: Ivan Maric ~ Anthony Miles ~ Reece Conca

INT: Chris Newman ~ Taylor Hunt ~ Nathan Foley
SUB: Nathan Gordon

In the mix: Dylan Grimes/ Kamdyn McIntosh ~ Jake Batchelor ~ Nathan Drummond ~ Ty Vickery ~ Corey Ellis ~ Chris Knights ~ Liam McBean ~ Ben Lennon ~ Sam Lloyd

BACKS

I like this tall defensive 3 for Richmond. Dylan Grimes can count himself unlucky and Kamdyn McIntosh is a player that could push for senior selection as a taller defender more regularly. Rance and Chaplin both have good experience working together now and big game experience to. Both stronger bodies and capable of handling the beasts while Astbury’s added height and bigger body gives him a game over the more versatile Dylan Grimes. Astbury will be coming back into the team from a knee injury that sidelined his 2014 after a bright start to the season but I think he’s deserving of that tall BP role.

Morris has been a consistent performer since coming to Richmond as a mature age recruit often getting jobs on the opposition’s most dangerous small forward and found himself a regular playing in that role. Recognised within his team by being added to the leadership team for 2015.

Houli’s best use is playing as an attacking defender but he has proved to be a capable lock down defender as well. Reads the play well and attracts the footy off HB before swinging onto his trusty left foot.

Vlastuin’s only entering his third year but injury permitting will chalk up his 50th game in 2015, a great start to what should be a promising career. Attacks the ball hard and is a clean user of the ball but a key part of his game of HB is his strong defensive and tackling game.

Chris Newman, probably in his last year in 2015 comes off the bench and spends time rotating through the back line, offering extra experience and leadership in the back half.

Dylan Grimes and Kamdyn McIntosh as tall and versatile defenders can be considered unlucky not to make the 22 but with Astbury coming back from injury their chances to press for selection might arrive during the NAB Cup.

Jake Batchelor is another mid-size defender with a strong body who is best suited to an attacking defensive player with his long and precise left foot kick. Could be the player to replace Newman in the back half when he retires.

The over aged draftee Nathan Drummond is a player who could surprise as the first draftee to debut. Missed out on both the National and Rookie drafts in 2013 but is solidly built already which gives him an advantage over Corey Ellis and Connor Menadue. Hardwick’s shown a liking to give a draftee an early debut and kept them in the side e.g.: Conca from 2010, Ellis 2011 and Vlastuin 2013 so if he tracks well in the pre-season and NAB Cup he could get an early debut. Has the attributes to debut early with a strong body, good speed away from the pack, endurance running and foot skills.

MIDS

Midfield doesn’t change a great deal. The player most under the pump at selection would be Shaun Grigg potentially for the tagger Taylor Hunt or the untried Corey Ellis.

Trent Cotchin leads the midfield extremely well and is a ball magnet through the midfield even though he gets hunted by opposition midfielders. Went through 2014 with 20 possessions plus in every game bar 3. One of them happened to be the Elimination Final loss to the Power so I’m sure he would want to improve on that performance in 2015. During Richmond’s 9 straight win back end to the year he averaged 27 touches a game.

Brandon Ellis like Nick Vlastuin hasn’t missed a beat since being drafted in 2011. Debuted early and has gone on to play 65 games so far having his best season in 2014 attracting the footy more through the midfield. During Richmond’s 9 straight win back end to the season had 4 games over 30 touches, 4 games between 27 and touches and one game of 20. Has all the attributes to be a future gun for the Tigers.

Shaun Grigg is arguably the most disposable of the Richmond midfield if a tagger or draftee is preferred. Missed 8 games in the middle of the year which coincided with 5 of Richmond’s 8 game winning streak. Started the season strongly but his game has a lot of inconsistencies. Can be used as a tagger but with a “specialist” tagger from Geelong joining the club in Taylor Hunt that role is for the taking. Corey Ellis’s transition from VFL to AFL may see Grigg as the player sent back to the 2’s.

Reece Conca had his best season disposal wise in 2014 despite missing 4 games playing more through the midfield and had easily his best year in terms of defensive pressure and tackling. The biggest improvement in 2015 needs to come in his disposal numbers where they need to push from highs of mid 20s to 30 and above more consistently. I don’t think he’d want another brain snap like against GWS either.

Anthony Miles was a revelation for the Tigers in the second half of the year coming into the team as an upgraded rookie, debuting in Round 12 and quickly settled into the team as a ball winning midfielder, attracting the footy while handling the defensive side of the game as well. Upgraded to the senior list and will continue to be a strong midfielder for Richmond.

Taylor Hunt has come from Geelong and looks to be able to fulfil a regular role as a midfield run with player. Adds another dimension to the ball winning Richmond midfield and could be used off HB as a lock down defender also.

Nathan Foley gives the outside pace and class to a hardened midfield. The type of player who loves to tuck the ball under the arm and run. Takes the game on. Him playing AFL consistently and not spending time nursing injuries in the stands is super important for the Tigers.

Corey Ellis is the other draftee with the traits to make an early debut, likely as more of an outside player initially but was a prolific inside player in the TAC Cup so he can swing both ways through the midfield.

RUCKS

A lot of the ruck work will fall on the shoulders of Ivan Maric again but with Ben Griffiths in the forward half and potentially David Astbury in the back half his main work could be more confined to the middle of the ground rather than being an all around the ground ruckman.

Griffiths and Astbury have the ability chop him out as second more versatile ruckman.

Tyrone Vickery is a tried and tested back up method for Maric but had an up and down in 2014. Landed a good hit in Round 18 which gave him some time on the sidelines and was probably the big talking point (from an outsiders view) in 2014. Whether he is deserving of the second ruck role is still up in the air particularly with Ben Griffiths developing strongly. Liam McBean is a smokey and kicked bags of goals in the VFL during 2014. Has the height to play as a tall forward/ ruckman but there’s deficiencies in his game that have held him back from senior selection.

FORWARDS

A lot of the goal kicking man power still falls again on Jack Riewoldt but Ben Griffiths is a player worth persisting with as a tall forward. An area they lack is a consistent and reliable third tall forward.

Ben Griffiths came back into the side when Ty Vickery was missing through suspension and played every game from Round 19. Started the season with a 6 game stint at AFL before splitting it with a 4 game patch in the middle. If he is given a consistent go at that tall forward role he will be a nuisance forward for defenders with his superior height and versatility.

Riewoldt is still the go to man inside 50 and kicked goals in every game bar 1 in 2014, highlighted by his 11 against GWS and 6 against St. Kilda. His most important result was the 4 against Sydney in the final round but when especially early he was on fire and set up Richmond’s win. Kicked 3 in the elimination final but the plain facts are he needs help inside 50. 60 goals from him and another 20 – 30 from the second tall Griffiths (very achievable) in 2015 and finals might be on the cards again.

Dustin Martin and Brett Deledio are more than handy HFF/ midfield options. 47 goals between them in 2015 and both averaging 25 touches a game they are both really dangerous options inside 50 in particular Martin with his strong body and marking ability. 22 goals between them and averaging over 24 touches per game when Richmond won 9 straight (with Martin missing one game).

Shane Edwards is another FWD/ midfield option added into the mix who became more of a midfield option again during Richmond’s 9 match winning streak averaging 17 touches and just under a goal a game during 2014.

Matthew McDonough is the new face inside 50 as a small/ crumbing forward. Played 7 games as a HB during 2014 averaging 11 touches and kicking a goal against GWS but when sent back to the VFL was effective as a smaller forward, what he was initially drafted as. Plays as a small forward similar to Jamie Elliott with god goal sense and overhead marking capability.

Liam McBean is a player that the Tigers will hope comes on in 2015 to play as that third tall fwd/ second ruck. Kicked bags of goals at VFL level in 2014 and has the size to make a difference in the AFL but consistency is the big key for him.

Ben Lennon was a high draft pick in 2013 and is a handy mid sized forward option. With Edwards, Deledio and Martin already HF/ Midfield options Lennon’s first team chances have been limited but he has the traits to have a good career at Richmond.

Sam Lloyd is another option as a small forward if the McDonough experiment doesn’t work. Came to Richmond as a mature aged recruit, debuted against Collingwood in Round 4 and had 22 touches, 5 tackles and 3 goals to become a Fantasy Footy favourite (for me at least) before some quitter games and finishing with 10 goals in 8 games.

Chris Knights is a tried and tested HF/ midfield option but again is behind the locks of Deledio, Martin and Edwards at selection.

DRAFTEE WATCH (2014)

Richmond’s first pick Corey Ellis is a player with the attributes needed to make an impact early. Probably more so as an outside midfielder who could play inside while he builds his body strength up but his skills by hand and foot are very good and reads the play well.

There third round pick Nathan Drummond looks to be a fantastic pick but. Bypassed in the 2013 National and Rookie drafts he stood out at TAC Cup level as an overage player averaging 26 touches a game over 12 games so he attracts the ball and uses it well. Like Corey Ellis and Connor Menadue speed and endurance are a big part of his game. Drummond played 3 matches with Richmond’s VFL side in 2014 as well

They’ve got a ripper athlete in second round pick Connor Menadue but he will take time to develop physically and will benefit from time in the VFL first.

2013 – Anthony Miles

All Richmond’s draftees from 2013 got a look in during 2014 except Todd Banfield but Miles was the stand out coming from the Rookie Draft. Debuted in the middle of the year and was a ball magnet in the Tigers midfield, an important part of their late season resurgence into the finals playing 13 games averaging 24 touches a game and not passing 20 touches only twice.

From the National Draft I think Ben Lennon can definitely push for selection as a mid-size goal kicking forward but with Shane Edwards, Brett Deledio and Dustin Martin already inside 50 and similar size to Lennon he will need to work for his spot.

My Best 22:

FB: Steven Morris ~ David Astbury ~ Troy Chaplin
HB: Bachar Houli ~ Alex Rance ~ Jake Batchelor

C: Brandon Ellis ~ Nick Vlastuin ~ Reece Conca

HF: Dustin Martin ~ Ben Griffiths ~ Brett Deledio
FF: Shane Edwards – Jack Riewoldt ~ Ty Vickery

FOLL: Ivan Maric ~ Trent Cotchin ~ Anthony Miles

INT: Dylan Grimes ~ Taylor Hunt ~ Chris Knights
SUB: Nathan Gordon

Back line:
Effectively the back line that was in place during the last 10 games. The change from the second half of the 2014 season Newman out and Astbury comes in with Vlastuin also moving into the midfield rotation. Personally I like this set up as it is a much more defensively accountable set up rather than the more attack minded set up we had in the first half of the season. I know some will ask where is the rebound coming from, but in the second half of the season our rebound was primarily coming from our midfielders like Ellis Cotchin Edwards Deledio & Martin pushing deep and becoming more involved. With the preseason having been focused on improving our running ability I can see that same sort of game plan being in place this season.

I've put Astbury and Rance in the 2 key posts as IMO they are our best options in these roles, Astbury showed in the early parts of 2014 when Rance was missing that he was quite capable of taking on the oppositions best KPF and holding them rather quiet. I also like the idea of moving Rance up to CHB where his Rance moments are less likely to hurt us on the scoreboard and his rebounding ability can be much more dangerous. This also allows Chaplin to get back into his ideal role of being the floating 3rd tall who can roam around the back line and be the bloke who comes over the top in support. With Batchelor and Grimes as part of the mix it also gives us greater flexibility. Both can play tall or small if needed and both also provide the ability to come in as the 3rd man up as well if Chaplin is caught out of position.

Midfield:
This is the area where I feel that Richmond can improve greatly on in 2015. Maric/Vickery in the ruck with Cotchin Miles B.Ellis Martin Deledio Edwards Conca Vlastuin Knights Gordon & Hunt as the midfield group is a pretty solid set up. There is a good mix of aggression, ball winning ability, classy ball use and defensive options. While I have Martin Deledio & Edwards starting forward, you could easily substitute anyone of them into the starting midfield and not lose a thing either in the midfield or up forward.

Forward line:
Ever since Hardwick arrived he has wanted to play the 3 tall structure but it just hasn't clicked for whatever reason. The key for mine is Griffiths, he has dropped weight and worked on his endurance this summer and I expect him to be covering a lot more ground as a result. If this happens it leaves plenty of room for Jack and Vickery to work in and they have shown in the past that they can work well in that sort of set up. Jack has averaged 65 goals a season for the last 5 years, and in Vickerys best year they combined for 98 goals. Around those 3 talls I have Deledio Martin & Edwards who combined for 69 goals in 2014, which shows they can be goal kickers when given the chance. If this structure can finally click as Hardwick has wanted we could have a very dangerous forward set up which can stretch most defenses.

Depth:
Once again our depth has improved despite a quiet trad period. Outside that side I've named there are the likes of Newman Foley Grigg Petterd & Thomas who have been regular senior players while there is also some talented youngsters like Lennon Lloyd McDonough McIntosh C.Ellis Menadue Drummond Lambert Butler McBean McKenzie & Dea who will be itching for a crack.

Despite this Richmond are still going to have to be at their best most of the season to be in the mix for a finals spot as I don't think we're going to be able to mount another late season 9 game winning streak to sneak into the finals this time around, especially given we've got the 5th toughest draw this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back