Your best 22 in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Your team isn't our best 22 if it excludes Curnow.

Full stop and not interested in the views of the coaching panel is pretty definitive when he isn't a butcher like you're making out. o_O

The club and Judd feel that the players had turned a corner last year with their commitment to the cause and professionalism. B & F votes are a good rating of quality team players who bust a gut. Making changes for the sake of change doesn't exclude a player and character such as Curnow.

Whiley is completely unrelated to Curnow. He was recruited as part of the Jaksch trade. He could replace Lucas or Robinson who were cut. Or Bell who might be best suited to a role as a defensive forward or forward due to his size and lack of awareness in traffic. Graham could lose his nominal spot to Whiley who is a bigger unit and a faster.

Curnow shouldn't be relied on to dispose of the ball anyway. If we are being flogged because of turnovers that Curnow has made then maybe we should stop giving him the ball!

B - Crisp , Brown , Toovey
HB - Langdon , Reid , Varcoe
C - Sidebottom, Greenwood , Freeman
HF - Fasolo, Cloke , De Goey
F - Karnezis , White , Elliott
R - Grundy , Pendlebury , Swan
Int - Goldsack , Witts , Adams
Sub - Broomhead

That's the 22 I'd like to see, be interesting to see what other Pie fans think as well as neutrals. Obviously would be hoping Moore and Scharenberg will come in at some stage and show us there qualities. Expecting a big year from Elliott. Also for Sidebottom to become a genuine week in week out A grader. Exciting times ahead in the next few years for the Pies.

Sub - Broomhead

That's the 22 I'd like to see, be interesting to see what other Pie fans think as well as neutrals. Obviously would be hoping Moore and Scharenberg will come in at some stage and show us there qualities. Expecting a big year from Elliott. Also for Sidebottom to become a genuine week in week out A grader. Exciting times ahead in the next few years for the Pies.

Not a bad side. I've got a Collingwood Best 22 that I'll put up later today if i get time but there's some distinct similarities between our teams. Really like the idea of Varcoe off HB.

A few positional changes in my team but in terms of player personnel my changes are Seedsman ~ Young ~ Kennedy and Williams IN for Crisp ~ De Goey ~ Fasolo and Karnezis OUT. I've gone with Lachie Keeffe over White but that's with playing Ben Reid as a forward not a defender

Collingwood

BACKS:
Tom Langdon ~ Nathan Brown ~ Alan Toovey
HALF BACKS: Paul Seedsman ~ Lachlan Keeffe/ Ben Reid ~ Travis Varcoe

A big need adressed by Collingwood over the off season was finding quality ball users out of the back half. This is covered somewhat in the return of Seedsman and the addition of Varcoe.

Varcoe was used off HB at times by Geelong but has been mentioned to play more midfield time at Collingwood. If he was to spend time in the midfield a straight swap with Clinton Young could be viable. Lachlan Keeffe is my preferred option at CHB with Reid FWD.

MIDFIELDERS: Steele Sidebottom ~ Levi Greenwood ~ Clinton Young
FOLLOWERS: Brodie Grundy ~ Scott Pendlebury ~ Taylor Adams

Not to often you'll find a 7 foot, 110 kg ruck as your second choice ruck. Hard to predict between Grundy and Witts who the first choice ruck will be and Witts became the first choice ruck during 2014 when Grundy was often playing VFL but it looks as if Grundy has really matured physically over the off season. His agility over Witts will be a key also.

Levi Greenwood balances the midfield after the loss of Beams and Ball. Definitely ticks all the boxes to be a starting 3 midfielder at the centre bounce after being offered greater job security by the Pies over North Melbourne's number of contested ball winners. The money offered was extra incentive.

Adams is now going into his 4th year of AFL and second at Collingwood. In playing terms is a straight midfield swap for the retired Luke Ball. Hard at the contest, wins the ball in tight and built solidly.

HALF FORWARDS: Dane Swan ~ Travis Cloke ~ Ben Kennedy
FULL FORWARDS: Tyson Goldsack ~ Ben Reid/ Jesse White ~ Jamie Elliott

From pre season reports Swan is over the injuries and inconsistent form that plagued his 2014. Has the talent to be a first choice midfielder but having him working with the second tier midfield could be more beneficial and prolong his career playing more as a HF/ FP.

Ben Kennedy you can argue is a offensive upgrade on Jarryd Blair. You can't deny Blair's effectiveness in defensive pressure and locking the ball in side 50, an area that Kennedy will need to be involved as well to regularly hold his spot.

Jesse White is unlucky at selection. His selection is based on where Reid plays unless he can become a swingman and be used down back.

INTERCHANGE: Jarrod Witts ~ Nathan Freeman ~ Marley Williams
SUB: Tim Broomhead

A young interchange but that's what was to be expected in 2015 at Collingwood as the team regenerates with youth. I'm a massive fan of Freeman's. Given an injury free run he'll be up there in the placegetters when it comes to the Rising Star award.

Marley Williams will play an important defender as a genuine small defender at Collingwood but there's a draftee waiting in the wings for his position in Brayden Maynard.

Sub - Broomhead

Didn't Marley Williams have a bit of a break-out year last year?

Didn't Marley Williams have a bit of a break-out year last year?
Yeah he did, but it was out of him or Broomhead for me, but I like Broomhead as an impact player.
Williams could easily be swapped for Crisp, but I really like Crisp, I liked him at the Lions and hopefully I'll like him even more with us.

With Waters and Mackenzie gone, and Darling ruled out for round 1, this is my view on round 1:

Bennell Brown McGovern
Hurn Schofield Sheppard
Rosa Priddis Gaff
Masten Kennedy Wellingham
Cripps Lycett LeCras

R: Naitanui Selwood Shuey

I: Yeo Ellis Sheed
S: Hutchings
Interesting line up. Don't see many teams go in with only three speciality forwards

FB: Stratton - Lake - Duryea
HB: Hodge - Gibson - Birchall
C: Hill - Lewis - Smith
R: McEvoy - Mitchell - Shiels
HF: Puopolo - Gunston - Burgoyne
FF: Bruest - Roughead - Rioli
I/C: Ceglar - Langford - Suckling - Anderson

Round 1 team for mine. Frawley needs to impress in the remaining practice matches, he should once the rest of the backline is around him. Whitecross will push for selection as well.
Gibson to the Back Pocket, Frawley CHB with Duryea missing out. Hale every chance to keep Ceglar out also as i see both McEvoy and Hale as better forward options.

B: Williams - Brown - Toovey
HB: Langdon - Reid - Seedsman
C: Sidebottom - Adams - Greenwood
HF: Varcoe - Cloke - Karnezis
FF: Elliott - White - Fasolo
R: Witts - Swan - Pendlebury
I: De Goey - Goldsack - Grundy - Broomhead

Emg: Crisp, Kennedy, Freeman, Scharenberg, Frost

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Ben Reid - Nathan Brown - Marley Williams
HB: Travis Varcoe - Lachlan Keeffe - Tom Langdon

M: Steele Sidebottom - Levi Greenwood - Jack Crisp

HF: Jordan De Goey - Travis Cloke - Alex Fasolo
F: Patrick Karnezis - Corey Gault - Jamie Elliott

R: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Dane Swan

I/C: Alan Toovey - Tyson Goldsack - Taylor Adams
Sub: Nathan Freeman

Essendon

BACKS:
Dustin Fletcher ~ Cale Hooker ~ Mark Baguley
HALF BACKS: Courtenay Dempsey ~ Michael Hurley ~ Michael Hibberd

Roles of the back six doesn't change a great deal. Ariel Steinberg might get a look in as a Fletcher replacement but needs to be upgraded first

MIDFIELDERS: Brent Stanton ~ Jobe Watson ~ Brendon Goddard
FOLLOWERS: Tom Bellchambers ~ Dyson Heppell ~ David Zaharakis

Midfield doesn't change a lot in terms of the names either. The biggest change will be life after Patrick Ryder but Bellchambers has showed in the past that he is more than capable of playing as a lone ruckman. Just need to keep him on the park.

No real tagger in that starting midfield. Might be a situation where Heath Hocking starts on the left footers wing and Brent Stanton begins on the pine.

HALF FORWARDS: Travis Colyer ~Joe Daniher ~ Adam Cooney
FULL FORWARDS: Jason Winderlich ~ Jake Carlisle ~ Paul Chapman

Cooney is the biggest team addition and brings in particular class, experience and goal sense off HF. Arguably not the explosive paced mid he was in his early years at the Bulldogs but his big game experience with Chapman and Winderlich will be crucial.

Colyer brings real speed to the forward line and midfield. Somewhat settled in the beat team after playing the last 11 games, the longest stretch of his career. Brings speed and spark to the team.

INTERCHANGE: Zach Merrett ~ David Myers ~ Heath Hocking
SUB: Martin Gleeson

Merrett's a little beauty I think. Long term player at the Bombers with good goal sense and speed.

Gleeson has been a bit of a project for the Bombers but is a project that will show more fruit in 2015 if fit. Still light bodied but impressed with his footy smarts and skill.

Last edited:
Shaw Mohr Haynes
Wilson Davis Patfull
Whitfield Griffen Kelly
WHE Tomlinson Shiel
Smith Cameron Stewart
Mummy ward treloar
Int: Scully, Coniglio, Greene, Hampton

Last edited:
Fremantle

FULL BACKS:
Michael Johnson ~ Zac Dawson ~ Cameron Sutcliffe
HALF BACKS: Paul Duffield ~ Luke McPharlin ~ Tendai Mzungu

Starting to build some youthful experience into the back line with Sutcliffe. Plays with a wise head down back as a shut down defender and brings a different flexibility to his BP game than Lee Spurr. Mzungu more of a Spurr type smaller defender.

MIDFIELDERS: Lachie Neale ~ David Mundy ~ Stephen Hill
FOLLOWERS: Aaron Sandilands ~ Ryan Crowley ~ Nat Fyfe

Lachie Neale had a breakout season in 2014 playing 23 games and averaged 23 touches a game. Should continue to get better as he slips under the radar in a midfield with Nat Fyfe and David Mundy.

Ryan Crowley is a play I don't see as an automatic selection anymore. Nothing against how he plays, he contributes every week and is rarely beaten by his midfield opponent but his game is becoming increasingly limited. Effective stopper but that's where it ends. Fremantle loaded up on smaller players and midfielders in the draft like Lachie Weller and Connor Blakely who come with senior state league experience and seem to be composed beyond there inexperience.

HALF FORWARDS: Chris Mayne ~ Matthew Taberner ~ Michael Walters
FULL FORWARDS: Hayden Ballantyne ~ Matthew Pavlich ~ Zac Clarke

Freo need to keep pumping games into Taberner at CHF, injury pending obviously. Good size and has the athleticism to play as a lead up forward option. The tall forward succession plan post Pavlich will need to include him in some way.

Zac Clarke will want to get back to his 2013 form. Out of contract at the end of the season and with Griffin, Apeness, Hannath and Moller (rookie listed) waiting on the sidelines to replace him as the second ruck he will need to impress and be more of a threat as a taller forward. If he is over his injury issues from 2014 is a real ahtlete and can cause serious headaches.

INTERCHANGE: Danyle Pearce ~ Michael Barlow ~ Lee Spurr
SUB: Garrick Ibbotson

Yes Barlow starts on the bench but with midfielders interchanged heavily he wouldn't be sitting on the pine for long. Also takes atagger away from him at the opening bounce.

Spurr is a solid defender and leader around Freo. Absolutely still part of the plans as a smaller shut down defender.

Harsh on Ibbotson being the sub but he is the type of player who would be effective as an introduced SUB. Can use his leg speed effectively as a sub off the wing and HB

After reading the review of our scratchy last week, it's obvious Rossco is a fan of IAJM.

Got my cert 1 in coaching Rossco, sign me up.

Sub - Broomhead

I was going to bet on Collingwood to have higher finish than west coast. I'm not so sure after looking at that 22. Wasn't quite sure how inexperienced the side was, I thought you just had a tonne of injuries last year.

Port:

Jonas Carlile Impey
Pittard Trengrove Broadbent
Polec Boak Ebert
Hartlett Westhoff Wingard
Monfries Schulz Ryder
Lobbe Wines Gray

O'shea, Cornes, White, Hombsch

On the bubble: Moore, Neade, Clurey, Butcher, Shaw, Mitchell.

Essendon

BACKS:

Roles of the back six doesn't change a great deal. Ariel Steinberg might get a look in as a Fletcher replacement but needs to be upgraded first

Midfield doesn't change a lot in terms of the names either. The biggest change will be life after Patrick Ryder but Bellchambers has showed in the past that he is more than capable of playing as a lone ruckman. Just need to keep him on the park.

No real tagger in that starting midfield. Might be a situation where Heath Hocking starts on the left footers wing and Brent Stanton begins on the pine.

Cooney is the biggest team addition and brings in particular class, experience and goal sense off HF. Arguably not the explosive paced mid he was in his early years at the Bulldogs but his big game experience with Chapman and Winderlich will be crucial.

Colyer brings real speed to the forward line and midfield. Somewhat settled in the beat team after playing the last 11 games, the longest stretch of his career. Brings speed and spark to the team.

Merrett's a little beauty I think. Long term player at the Bombers with good goal sense and speed.

Gleeson has been a bit of a project for the Bombers but is a project that will show more fruit in 2015 if fit. Still light bodied but impressed with his footy smarts and skill.

Great little write up.

Essendon

BACKS:

That's a good side and is pretty close to what I'd select as a best 22 for Essendon. However Winderlich has been spending a lot of time down back at training and I suspect that the club wants to play one of Ambrose, Langford or Edwards as a 3rd marking target.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back