Society & Culture Your experiences with ice...

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m wondering if anybody else is finding this “issue” as overblown as I am.

Being an old man these days my partying times are fewer and further between – the days of multiple days per week at pub/clubs/parties are loooooong gone, I simply don’t have the ability, stamina or energy.

However on the odd occasion I do still have a genuine dip, and these days I’m finding that it’s true, many of the younger brigade are hitting the pipe (amongst other things) as their poison of choice.

The social impact I’ve found personally is fairly underwhelming. I have a number of friends and acquaintances who now seem to have a smoke on a semi-regular basis, and every time I’ve been there at the time, there’s been absolutely none of the fearsome effects that you hear so much about in the media.

People get high on it, party, act like drugged up geese etc, and then go about their lives. I really have seen no better or worse effects or addictive behaviour than many other party drugs such as ecstacy, coke, speed, etc etc. Obviously you get the odd punter who takes things too far, but I’ve found the same people do that no matter what the substance, including alcohol.

Yet if you listen to the media or politicians it’s the great scourge of our generation and will destroy us all. Which makes me wonder whether it’s just another convenient scapegoat / distraction / story for society’s ills, and the reality of it is really no different to many other drugs.

I don’t mean to downplay the damage it can do and has done to many people, I just feel like it’s not that much different to any other drug which can also do this when used to excess.

Am I naïve and our cities are burning, or have you found the same?? Is there a chemical answer to the question – is there something truly unique in how it effects the body and mind?

From the 730 report last night:
NICOLE LEE, FLINDERS UNIVERSITY: By far the majority of people who use meth are fairly light users, so they use less than once a month - about 70 per cent of people who use meth use less than once a month.
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4230206.htm

It's massively blown out of proportion.

i think it's the fact that the worst outcomes of ice abuse tend to be more serious than other substances. eg if you spoke to health professionals that have had to deal with addicts, they'd tell you the stories are all true. i saw a doco maybe 5 years ago and in it a doctor was saying how he longed for the days of heroin. his hospital had just built a custom ice 'dry out' cell, which to me says there are specific, qualitative differences about meth that make it worse than others.

but that's just the worst outcomes. no doubt casual dabblers enjoy it in a relatively harmless fashion, like just about every other substance we care to name.

i think it's the fact that the worst outcomes of ice abuse tend to be more serious than other substances. eg if you spoke to health professionals that have had to deal with addicts, they'd tell you the stories are all true. i saw a doco maybe 5 years ago and in it a doctor was saying how he longed for the days of heroin. his hospital had just built a custom ice 'dry out' cell, which to me says there are specific, qualitative differences about meth that make it worse than others.

but that's just the worst outcomes. no doubt casual dabblers enjoy it in a relatively harmless fashion, like just about every other substance we care to name.

Does anyone do Heroin these days? You never hear about it. In the 80's it was always in the news.

It is all about how you use it.

For instance, once I was desperate to get my party on, but the beer was still reasonably warm, so I dropped some ice in it. It started off ok, but quickly deteriorated. Horrible.

A few cubes in my rum and coke, or cocktails, is beaut however. Excellent.

I work in mental health, so it's the heavy/frequent users who end up in our service, more often than not because of the associated paranoia/psychosis/aggression.

Depending on which study you go by, anywhere between 2.5-7% of Australians have used amphetamines. Think the concern is that within that %, it's the ice use that's increased pretty dramatically over the past few years.

Like any drug, some people experience severe lows when coming down from ice, while others go about their business as usual. It's tricky to pinpoint why some use it as an occasional party drug, while others get hooked, but theories on addiction include socio-economic and personality/genetics.

How about if people want to smoke Ice we let them because they can make their own decisions and no one else has any right to interfere with their life?
Everyone dies, if they want to smoke ice and live their life that way how can anyone tell them what is best for them? We are all here for a short amount of time, do whatever the * you want as long as it physically doesn't hurt others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about if people want to smoke Ice we let them because they can make their own decisions and no one else has any right to interfere with their life?
Everyone dies, if they want to smoke ice and live their life that way how can anyone tell them what is best for them? We are all here for a short amount of time, do whatever the **** you want as long as it physically doesn't hurt others.
That's the problem though. A lot of people are getting hurt.

My experiences with ice? Well, I've never used it and no one close to me, that I know of, does.

I do live very close to the Union Road shopping strip and there are a few streets in Ascot Vale not too far from there, the 'Wingate' area namely, that are rather well known locally for having an assortment of social problems, and ice is the current pre-eminent one.

It can occasionally lead to some interesting behaviour being encountered when I'm down there.

It is all about how you use it.

For instance, once I was desperate to get my party on, but the beer was still reasonably warm, so I dropped some ice in it. It started off ok, but quickly deteriorated. Horrible.

A few cubes in my rum and coke, or cocktails, is beaut however. Excellent.
61946838.jpg

Does anyone do Heroin these days? You never hear about it. In the 80's it was always in the news.

So was cocaine. Granted I was born in the 1980s so I wasn't exactly hitting the party scene, but I've seen Scarface.:)

Anyway, one thing that I reckon gets overlooked a bit is where these drugs come from. Everyone knows where pot comes from, it's a plant. Anyone who's not an indoor plant killer can grow some at home if they so choose.

Heroin and cocaine are imported and make their way in from Asia and South America. They can be cut here, but it's unlikely you'll find an opium plantation in someone's backyard.

Amphetamines can be produced locally, so they're a lot harder to police. Anyone with a garden shed and chemistry set can make something claiming to be ice or meth if they can access some industrial chemicals. It's a dangerously inconsistent method of production and hard to accurately keep tabs on. I reckon this is a big reason why it is seen to be on the rise.

Wouldn't be suprised if one of its problems is there is so much around, dealers give it away until the user is hooked. I know 2 women who have lost thier sons due to addiction to ice.

Everyone dies, if they want to smoke ice and live their life that way how can anyone tell them what is best for them? We are all here for a short amount of time, do whatever the **** you want as long as it physically doesn't hurt others.

Cos the taxpayer has to pay their health bills and welfare

Remove this Banner Ad

Back