Society & Culture Your experiences with ice...

Remove this Banner Ad

Herald Sun beat up. No denying there's idiots who get on the stuff and go nuts, but the media have my parents and others thinking that it's just a common thing amongst young people these days. Total bullshit.

Alcohol is just as much of a problem, probably more of a problem to be honest. Work in a bottleshop and you'll quickly realise this.

I've done it a few times and it was quite awesome and can see why people get addicted. Thought it wasn't an issue in society...and then I worked in the court system for a few years. Jesus H Christ is it prevalent in crime in WA.

Herald Sun beat up. No denying there's idiots who get on the stuff and go nuts, but the media have my parents and others thinking that it's just a common thing amongst young people these days. Total bullshit.

Alcohol is just as much of a problem, probably more of a problem to be honest. Work in a bottleshop and you'll quickly realise this.

Interesting you say that about the media beat up because my niece reliably informed me to "relax, everybody is doing it" ;)
But your right, it's a bit like schoolies, 40,000 kids across the country 39,000 do the right thing but the media will have you believing that every kid is tarred with the same brush as the 1,000 doing the wrong thing.

The issue though with ice is the violence that is associated with it and the burden it's starting to place on the courts, emergency departments and the MH system and that makes for good media write ups - never ending source of stories to run with

Interesting you say that about the media beat up because my niece reliably informed me to "relax, everybody is doing it" ;)
But your right, it's a bit like schoolies, 40,000 kids across the country 39,000 do the right thing but the media will have you believing that every kid is tarred with the same brush as the 1,000 doing the wrong thing.

The issue though with ice is the violence that is associated with it and the burden it's starting to place on the courts, emergency departments and the MH system and that makes for good media write ups - never ending source of stories to run with
Young people would rather go for ecstasy from my personal experience. I think like some are saying, it seems to be more prevalent in rural areas. I wouldn't know anywhere in my social circles or my friend's circles where smoking ice would be normal and accepted.

Might be different in other suburbs obviously.

I work for a large retail chain - the ice epidemic has seen a huge, quantified, spike in staff getting beaten up by shop lifting meth-heads who just snap. Some of these incidents are scary and the injuries are severe.

I work for a large retail chain - the ice epidemic has seen a huge, quantified, spike in staff getting beaten up by shop lifting meth-heads who just snap. Some of these incidents are scary and the injuries are severe.

Don't you just say to them, "relax, everyone's doing it"? :rolleyes:;)

At my work we had a guy swinging a shovel at staff, I wasn't there but it definitely sounds exciting.

There's rumours of someone that I work with supposedly coming to work high on ice, nothing more than rumours though

At my work we had a guy swinging a shovel at staff, I wasn't there but it definitely sounds exciting.

There's rumours of someone that I work with supposedly coming to work high on ice, nothing more than rumours though
We've had incidences of staff sitting in their car on a break smoking ice. We've also found light bulbs that have been been removed and broken so that that the pieces can be used to use onsite.

Lived with a few housemates. They steal other peoples food, clothes and kitchenware to live and they start fights out of the blue. Saw one of the ice heads chase a bloke up the stairs with a big kitchen knife, heard a lady crying scared in the bedroom he resides while I could hear him go psycho.

All these housemates were eventually kicked out thankfully.

What a great drug it is.

Last edited:
Talk to a family who have lost their son/daughter to ice and have to live with it for the rest of their lives and see how "overblown" the issue is.
Ice is a symptom of a greater issue in that persons life

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has he been caught ******* a chair leg?

Ice is a symptom of a greater issue in that persons life

Yeah, and that can be said more broadly for society. If there are a lack of jobs, a lack of hope in general, then drug abuse tends to become more prevalent. Rural Australia seems to be at particular risk, and there are entire neighbourhoods in the USA that are basket cases.

The will and decisions of the individual play a major part for sure, but without a clear direction for coming generations in this country we are asking for trouble.

Lived with a few housemates. They steal other peoples food, clothes and kitchenware to live and they start fights out of the blue. Saw one of the ice heads chase a bloke up the stairs with a big kitchen knife, heard a lady crying scared in the bedroom he resides while I could hear him go psycho.

All these housemates were eventually kicked out thankfully.

What a great drug it is.
I once lived with one of my mates for a couple of years that at the time way always on it. He wasn't too bad personally and we generally still got along pretty well despite it but his ****head drop kick mates used to be around a lot of weekends up all night smoking the crap at times was pretty irritating at times.

I did it quite a few times usually with my other friends and 'get' why they do it but overall it's a pretty crap drug really, the come down off it is horrific. And all the boring losers most of the times did was spend endless hours talking absolute crap whilst playing playstation or doing crosswords, lame..

Oh one thing that was good though in a city when it's hard to get a taxis he at times was pretty handy as he would usually be up for a drive to get you from somewhere at whatever ridiculous hour, like if you wanted a lift home from the Mustang bar at 3am or something lol.

Used it plenty of times. Not for a couple of years now. Never even got close to addicted.

Seen a few people start going from weekend warriors and heading towards addiction but they were bought back into line pretty quickly. Maybe a couple of guys lost it, but no one that is close to me.

From an intoxication point of view it's the most overrated drug on the market. I'm still trying to work out what part of it exactly people are getting addicted to. There's only a mild euphoria (about 10% of MDMA), slight body rushes/tingles - the ability to party for 48 hours is handy when required but I love sleep just about more than anything so even during my heaviest binges I still like to sleep 4-6 hours a night.

I must say I have seen a few people have an "Ice freakout" over the years... It's not pretty. Go from normal chilled out people to having a mad paranoid attack in the space of 20 seconds.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing - Is it the drug that turns normal people into doing stuff like this? Or is that person usually a very "on edge" character and that type of character is drawn to the drug? Probably a bit of both to be honest.

I haven't touched it for at least 5 years now, but I know a couple of my mates, as much as they tell me that they are off of it, still tell their wives that they don't do it anymore, but are constantly trying to cover for each other getting together and spending a weekend on the pip.
One thing I've noticed with people who like to hit the pipe is there is a lot more lying about it then any other drug... Maybe because of the stigma attached to it, I don't know.

Often to my detriment I've always been open and honest about my drug taking to my friends, ex-partners and family (parents aside, who just don't need to know). But I'd rather ruin a few friendships then spend my whole life doing it in the shadows. I also figure if it starts to get out of hand I have a good network of people who know what I'm like.

There's definitely more of a stigma attached to it than to many other drugs, and I think it's because while for the vast majority of users, there isn't a hugely negative result of usage, for those who it does go bad for it's genuinely significantly worse than many other recreational drugs, particularly pot and pills.

Personally, I've never directly used it, but I did inhale some during sex and it was a great rush and the sex was fantastic, and for a week all I wanted to do was to do it again. I didn't, and I haven't since, and I won't again. I trust myself enough to control any usage, but the appropriate level for me is none.

I was also really paranoid about my pupils for three days, and while I didn't exactly have a horrible come-down or anything, it wasn't all that pleasant either.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing - Is it the drug that turns normal people into doing stuff like this? Or is that person usually a very "on edge" character and that type of character is drawn to the drug? Probably a bit of both to be honest.

This is the key to all addictions isn't it, whether it be ice, alcohol, coffee, gambling - what is it that makes some people end up with an addiction and others like yourself who are okay with it. The brain truly is an amazing organ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back