Your favourite all time player from....Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Paul Salmon!!!

love the fact that he made the Hawks team of the century and Crawf didn't :D

Gary Ayres, Crawf , Derm & now Buddy surpasses all best Hawk I've seen and I've been Hawks mad since 76.

I :heart: Buddy as well. Truly a once in a generation player, who is about to come into his "prime" and take his game to a new level.

I've loved the Hawks since 83, and my favourites have been Matthews, then Dermie, then Dunstall, then Crawf, now Buddy.

If I could only watch one more game ever and could only pick one player to play in the game, it would be Buddy. He is ridiculous.

Dunstall.

If Dunstall had had a massive-ego, bleached blonde hair and strutted around in green fluro boots like another famous Hawk forward, he'd probably be regarded as the #1 FF of all time right now.

Why? Because it's largely those idiots in the media who shape public opinion on these matters and they never gave Dunstall the attention devoted to Ablett or Lockett simply because he was a nice bloke who went about his business of kicking goals without creating controversy unlike the others.

I was there the day Dunstall kicked 17 goals against Richmond and I've never seen such an incredible performance from a player since. More the point, it was no fluke. I watched him kick bags of 10 or more on many occasions.

He was the ultimate goalkicking machine, a consummate team player and remarkably unselfish, could chase & tackle far better than most forwards of his era who often wouldn't bother, never lost his temper and was almost never reported despite scragging being an accepted practice at the time, was as good in a one-on-one marking contest as any Hawk I've seen, superb kick for goal, lightning fast despite his size and freakishly strong....

I'm a huge Franklin fan too, but anyone who says he's surpassed Jason is just kidding themselves - he's not even in the same ballpark, nor is any AFL player I've seen since maybe James Hird.

Dunstall.

If Dunstall had had a massive-ego, bleached blonde hair and strutted around in green fluro boots like another famous Hawk forward, he'd probably be regarded as the #1 FF of all time right now.

Why? Because it's largely those idiots in the media who shape public opinion on these matters and they never gave Dunstall the attention devoted to Ablett or Lockett simply because he was a nice bloke who went about his business of kicking goals without creating controversy unlike the others.

I was there the day Dunstall kicked 17 goals against Richmond and I've never seen such an incredible performance from a player since. More the point, it was no fluke. I watched him kick bags of 10 or more on many occasions.

He was the ultimate goalkicking machine, a consummate team player and remarkably unselfish, could chase & tackle far better than most forwards of his era who often wouldn't bother, never lost his temper and was almost never reported despite scragging being an accepted practice at the time, was as good in a one-on-one marking contest as any Hawk I've seen, superb kick for goal, lightning fast despite his size and freakishly strong....

I'm a huge Franklin fan too, but anyone who says he's surpassed Jason is just kidding themselves - he's not even in the same ballpark, nor is any AFL player I've seen since maybe James Hird.

Best of all time? Not sure, I saw Huddo play too but I think Dunstall as a FF was better than both Lockett and Ablett. So in my books, he's either the best or second best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crawf.

I'm not old enough to make a proper judgement on the likes of Knights, Tuck, Matthews, Dunstall and Platten.

Gary Ablett
Crimmins
Knights
Don Scott
Michael Tuck
Buckenara
Hendrie
Platten
Morrisey
Salmon
Jarman
Langford
Pritchard

Crawford
Buddy
Cyril
Clint Young
Liam Shiels

Named too many given I hate (respectfully) this team

Admired Dunstall, but as he, and strangely, Nick Holland always seemed to damage us, won't mention them..

left-field but genuine choice; Rod Lester-Smith.

I saw a bit of him during his 70-game career with the Hawks and I reckoned he was a great player; always seemed to have time and his disposal was excellent. Not quick but he didn't need to be, and he had great judgement and coolness.

Just looked him up on Wikipedia and discovered he never played in a Hawks flag, played in the GF losses in '84/'85.

He was All-Australian in 1985 and was Hawthorn's top vote-getter in the Brownlow that season.

Wore long sleeves and had a decent mo. Played half-back flank.

Dermie. Gun. I was a Hawks supporter before I became an Eagle in 92. Loved his Tip Top ads as well, I ate so many loaves as a 4-5 year old just to get the AFL Cards in the packs!

lol.... how pathetic, why wern't you an Eagles from 1987? Hey dont get me wrong, I can understand somepeople changing when the eagles were formed but to change in1992!!!
Oh wait for it, you stayed with Hawks as they beat the Eagles in a GF in 1991 and then ( quid each way hey squib?) I recon you may have become an Eagle at about the 15 minute mark of the Elimination final in 1992, see scores below, then jumped firmly on with the Weagles......... Anyway Im glad for you, Very Happy not to have you as a fellow Hawks supporter with loyalty like that.

West Coast 1.3 6.5 10.10 14.16 100
Hawthorn 4.6 6.8 10.13 12.15 87

Best of all time? Not sure, I saw Huddo play too but I think Dunstall as a FF was better than both Lockett and Ablett. So in my books, he's either the best or second best.

Yeah, Dunstall was certainly a far more well rounded player than Lockett (heh) though Ablett was undoubtedly more versatile and could basically play anywhere.

For such a massive mountain though, Lockett is by far the most nimble bloke I've ever seen. He was also I think the most dominant of the three on his day.. which is a big call obviously, but I think his sheer physicality allowed him to crash packs, bust heads, outmark two or three blokes at the same time and generally intimidate the hell out of the other team in a way neither Ablett or Dunstall could. He was also the best kick for goal I've seen, a hugely underrated attribute for a forward.

Hudson was unfortunately before my time so I can't comment there. I suppose if we went back even earlier we could compare with Coleman & Pratt too.

But yeah, really the best thing about Dunstall was he was a consummate team player.
It's a shame we didn't have the Goal Assist stat back then because I have a feeling Dunstall would've averaged two or three times more than Lockett or Ablett... he would give away goals to his teammates he was easily capable of kicking himself on a constant basis.
Bottom line is its the team oriented stuff which wins premierships.

Dunstall. I sure that would be for a lot of Hawthorn supporters. 40k turned up for his last game against Freo, it would have been lucky to be 20k otherwise.

it was much more then 40k (same as the 1999 swans game was higher then 70k) but agree, he was the modern ff before modern ff's

I wish assist stats were around back then, would probably have as many assists as he did goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back