Your Favourite Freo Place...

Remove this Banner Ad

Technically East Freo, but the Left Bank is my favourite Freo haunt, especially as they now have taps. I remember growing up when it was a deserted building and now I just love sitting there having a beer and watching the boats cruise by.

In Freo central, it would have to be Freo oval, the Norfolk or the North/South moles where I grew up catching herring and gardies.....Freo is just awesome, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!!

Adding my vote to the following

Gino's
Clancy's
The Capri
The Maya
New Edition
Fly By Night
Mojo's
Spare Parts Puppet Theatre - I saw Monkey Magic there about 20 years ago and recently took my little boy to see Bugalugs Bum Thief and The Deep. A great Freo place indeed.

In more recent years

X Wray
Bread in Common
Bather's Beach Sunset Market. A great place to spend a relaxing Saturday evening with the family.
Café 55 - great rice paper rolls... and more
I went to Monk's recently and the service was fine. The beer very good and the pizza not bad at all, but I have been previously when the service was lacking.

I love Freo.

The Fly by Night has been taken over by Sunset Events. Some angst amongst traditionalists, of which I am normally one. But it will be interesting to see what improvements can be made to the old place and see if more bands get back there. Sunset run some good festivals so keen to see how it goes.

The Esplanade Hotel during the Croatian Food Festival .

Reminds me of my Baba's cooking, only not as good.

Love you Baba.

Last edited:
The Esplanade Hotel during the Croatian Food Festival .

Reminds me of my Baba's cooking, only not as good.

Love you Baba.

Good call. I went with my wife and some of her family. All enjoyed it, but all agreed that Teta Anka was a better cook. Lach72 will probably agree. I think she has cooked a few meals for him over the years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Fly by Night has been taken over by Sunset Events. Some angst amongst traditionalists, of which I am normally one. But it will be interesting to see what improvements can be made to the old place and see if more bands get back there. Sunset run some good festivals so keen to see how it goes.
Considering the plight of many venues on the east coast, tours in WA and SA, and Freo's empty shop fronts it's a pretty good outcome by the looks. They're still having music and just doing it up a bit right? A bit of a restaurant deal?

Do you mean 'Jusburgers'?

That is a place that is also located in Subi, Leederville and Northbridge.
I'm pretty sure it's national. Just another franchise tasteless meat and pretentious forks in the bun, charging $13 for a meal under the pretence of being better than Hungry Jacks when it's essentially just as soulless and naff. My disdain for Jus Burgers, Grill'd et al is intense

Considering the plight of many venues on the east coast, tours in WA and SA, and Freo's empty shop fronts it's a pretty good outcome by the looks. They're still having music and just doing it up a bit right? A bit of a restaurant deal?

Yeah, it remains to be seen. There has been a big backlash from supporters of the Fly as it stands who said that it remained viable in their hands as a not for profit organisation.

Sunset offered to be partners in a joint venture with Fly By Night, but were rejected, so they went hard and have secured a 21 year lease.

I understand both sides. Young musicians have been able to rehearse for free in the Fly being not for profit and many see that the next generation will not have the same help. It suits the Fremantle narrative to see any profit making venture as the enemy of culture.

On the other hand, Sunset have said they are going to spend a million on renovations. To quote a report “The trust also looked to a model that would involve a far greater utilisation of all areas of the building, offering a greater range of benefits to arts related groups, as well as an imaginative use of bar and coffee shop facilities which would be open to the public.”

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/about-town/lease-is-up-for-freo8217s-fly-by-night-after-drill-hall-decision-20140812-10322b.html#ixzz3Amwe2690

Fremantle has dead zones that need regeneration. To keep doing the same thing over and over without positive results or change seems silly.

I love the Fly and have been going there pretty regularly for gigs for over 20 years, but I have a lot of time for Sunset Events and their festivals, so I think this can be a win/win.

I'm pretty sure it's national. Just another franchise tasteless meat and pretentious forks in the bun, charging $13 for a meal under the pretence of being better than Hungry Jacks when it's essentially just as soulless and naff. My disdain for Jus Burgers, Grill'd et al is intense
True independent burger joints in Perth are rare these days. :(

Missy Moos is pretty good. And Run Amuck hot dogs are a walk away.
Had Missy Moos today very good. They also have another store in Mt Hawthorn (suspect that's due to popularity) but still a quality burger I got there for a late lunch after the game.

And this is what I got for a buzzer ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408866896.438103.jpg

Had a thick Italian hot chocolate at The Little Concept down the road from where I decided to watch the game today, it was sensational.

Sent from my iPhone with its ****ed up autocorrect crap.

By no means my favourite place, and probably the last thing Fremantle needs, but they're opening up a Grill'd next to the dome on the cafe strip tonight. They're giving away free burgers to celebrate! Can't go past a free burger.

I live pretty much across the road from the prison so spend a lot of my time in Fremantle and have a few favourite places:

Best Park: Monument Hill. Best views of the whole of fremantle, amazing at sunset.
Best Restaurant: Bread in Common is a bit pricey, but my god it's good. Very "hip" place, and you may have to wait ~30 minutes for a table (they don't take bookings), but the food is amazing.
Best Cafe: There are so many awesome cafes springing up everywhere it's hard to choose just one. I really like The Attic, and Lenny the Ox (same owners as Ootong and Lincoln) on Wray Ave has just opened and is really good.
Best Street: Wray Ave. Galati's, Frank's Butcher, heaps of awesome cafes and Who's Your Mumma (great little bar) mean I usually spend more time here than in the heart of Freo. Sometime's this really good Brazillian Food Van turns up on the corner of Wray and South Tce.
Pub: Little Creatures and Clancy's are the obvious choices. Haven't been to Clancy's since they renovated, hope it hasn't changed too much.
Shops: The Record Finder (despite his over the top prices, this dude has a pretty sizeable collection of Vinyl/CDs), the Myre store is pretty neat (the missus loves it there), and Wear2 (clothing store next to Cashies) have some decent men's clothes for pretty reasonable prices (they ship a lot of stuff from vintage stores in the US)
Live Music: Mojos & Fly By Nights are great venues. Shame the Myer rooftop bar (Dave's Cans) closed down, not sure if it'll open back up over summer or not, but I went to a few gigs up there and it was the most unique venue in Perth - 6 stories up looking over Freo with the Doctor blowing through all night.

O! And one last thing. On the weekends they set up some small markets next to the town hall, and occasionally there is this Polish dude who makes his own doughnuts out of this tiny little van. You can get 3 for $8 or something, and he has a "gun" to fill them with jam or chocolate, which he does to order. These things are deadly.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back