Your Favourite Players Over The Years

Remove this Banner Ad

And while we're on favourite players, and youtube clips, check out the club favourites in this one!

Menschy, Oysters, Ronnie Burns, and of course mssrs Arnott and Bambford (not so much favourites but iconic in their own way:D). Watch for the lethal cross from Ronnie at the end.

Thanks Claude. Those were the days, hey? That footage made me tear up. :cry:

G. Farmer most innovative
G. Ablett Senior most talented
G. Ablett Junior most hard working
D. Milburn most reliable under pressure
S. Johnson most ridiculously skilled
C. Ling most unstoppable tagger
J. Selwood most endangered species
G. Williams most stolen property
M. Jackson most outrageous
D. Wade most accurate
D. Clarke most gifted and scandalous
B. Goggin most evasive talent
Good cross section. And welcome to BF!

Probably the weirdest season I've ever seen Geelong have, we won our first 5 against some of the best teams in it that year, dropped our next 9, then recovered late to nearly make finals.
coach needed plan B ... ;)

my "first" favourite player was Wayne Closter, I can't really remember why

Good call candiehappy - I see so much of Closter in Lang , just so balanced around the ball and very efficient with it.
Then again my memory could be well off the mark :(

Of the oldies I loved Marshall , Polinelli, Sharrock and Wade - Farmer and Goggin are obviously givens
So many to admire in the recent era but Enright and Corey were firm favourites
Got to know Buddha quite well when he was over here - as you would expect a fantastic bloke , dry sense of humour and awesome guy to play golf with.

Right now I'm a big fan of Tom Hawkins because he's a true team player that connects with the fans. Remember this anyone?
137091-383c387c-ff4c-11e3-b6ed-37e91c70e24a.jpg

Last edited:
Good call candiehappy - I see so much of Closter in Lang , just so balanced around the ball and very efficient with it.
Then again my memory could be well off the mark :(

Of the oldies I loved Marshall , Polinelli, Sharrock and Wade - Farmer and Goggin are obviously givens
So many to admire in the recent era but Enright and Corey were firm favourites
Got to know Buddha quite well when he was over here - as you would expect a fantastic bloke , dry sense of humour and awesome guy to play golf with.
Corey would be one of my more recent favourites. The quiet achiever... and who could forget this??

Such SKILL!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right now I'm a big fan of Tom Hawkins because he's a true team player that connects with the fans. Remember this anyone?
137091-383c387c-ff4c-11e3-b6ed-37e91c70e24a.jpg
so much hatred there- check out the F-bomb from the bloke on the right, the bird on the right flipping Hawkins the bird and, if looks could kill.... that gal on the right could bottle that look and sell it to the Mafia ;)

Wasn't that Cats supporter just so happy, though? Good on ya, Tom- you made his day!

Started with Bruce Nankervis for me. #33.
And thus several 33's since… Rooke… cough cough… Rooke.

#5 of course. Unparalled and simply in a class by himself.

As for the rest, Boris probably tops that list.
Couch, Budda, SJ, Scarlo, Smithy, Sel…. and even GAJ...

Long list really…

Kinda lucky we have had such champions com thru the door…

Go Catters

After Corey? I think I'd have Stokes:

And Wojo- Daniel McL I loved the video clip you posted earlier but how was this run? Particularly good, and extra points because of who we were playing against :)

Gee, that was great play by Wojo. We do miss his speed and ability to take the game on as the commentator says.

I'm hoping we can have a sneaky little Gregson take up the challenge, Sttew.
He even looks a little like Wojo. Murdoch has shown glimpses of that "take on all comers" speed and agility

He even looks a little like Wojo. Murdoch has shown glimpses of that "take on all comers" speed and agility
I think Murdoch started off really well, full of confidence, but then was caught several times, lost his confidence and went back to the VFL to learn a few tricks.
As you said, he's shown glimpses- I hope he can build his confidence up and take the opposition on again. Confidence is an important part of it all, I think. Smelts is similar- doesn't have the same blistering pace but his agility could get him out of tough spots as well- just needs the confidence to do it, instead of getting rid of the ball too early. And we have to accept that these players are still learning and working on their skill, so they will make mistakes and get caught.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back