Skills Your favourite position?

On the football field, not the bedroom ;)

Personally i play my best games in the middle, playing as center but i really enjoy Back Pocket. Might sound strange but i love defending more then goalkicking and with my size i love weighing up the forward pocket.

In my second year playing footy my coach put me there before the first bounce. I thought oh this is going to suck. Walked off the ground with 1st best in my pocket and from that day i have loved it. Im a feracious tackler and id rather make a huge spoil, lay an awesome tackle, knock another guy to the ground then take a mark, give a handball out or even line up at goal. Really enjoy backline...

pacemaker

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
believe it or not that actually is a tough question.

played about 60% of my career in defense (halfback) or CHB so i enjoyed dashing out of defense running to the wings and perhaps passing it or kicking a goal.

played about 15% as forward loved half forward or CHF even, you can sort of play as an attacking midfielderand kick bags of goals.

the rest 25% i guess midfield, I'd rather play on the wing than a rover/centre as you would get more attention i felt from taggers playing on the ball which i hated, it was also more physical and i wasnt a stocky player.

Overall halfback/wing favorite posys. halfback you can still take risks and push forward get plenty of the ball in the posy.
wing i felt you were free your oppenent didnt really follow you around i noticed rarely got a tag can push forward and back if you got great pace and fitness and not as strong as the other players you will love this spot

Masten_Magic

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2008
Mandurah, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Peel, East Freo
forward pocket- the team relied apon me to kick the goals
now i have stopped my old coach cant replace me
i also like a run in the midfield for a bit

Big Kitty

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Victory, Storm, Man U
Easy one for me, HBF or BP. But i have grown a fair bit in the seasons so i wouldn't mind giving a KP spot a crack. Also enjoy runs on the wing which i seldom have these days though:p

matho44

Team Captain
Jul 29, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LeBron James
Ruck Rover. Best fun ever. Played CHF for 2 seasons, couldnt get involved in the game as much as midfield. Wing is great fun also

buddy2fernando

Team Captain
Apr 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I play alot as a running half back and wingman.
Sometimes i swap every like 5 minutes with an on baller though
Wing is probably my favourite though

Dec 29, 2007
The Great Wall of Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Steelers Pistons Eels A's Red-Wings
Full- Back/Back-Pocket.

From the moment I started running around at Auskick in a long sleeve Carlton guernsey (that my mum bought me for my 7th birthday in 1995) pretending to be Steven Silvagni, even though I followed Geelong, playing deep defense was the spot for me. Loved the challenge, and always preferred stopping a guy from kicking a bag than kicking one myself.

James_Hutchy

Team Captain
Dec 16, 2008
WA Country Town
AFL Club
West Coast
I played most of last season at chb and wing those are probably my favourite but this year i seem to get 2 quarters ruck and 1 full back then full forward if i don't get a rest.

Swanny36

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Collingwood
Anywhere in the midfield.

In the suburban league (Frankston League) I was played across half back for Frankston YCW, which was alright, but I wasn't like a running half back I just tried to stop my man, but went for the odd little run and deliver it to the forward line.

But in the country league (Picola District) I played midfield for Mathoura and that was really good, I played really well, only played 8 games but came 4th in the B&F so I played better than I thought.

Which was pleasing.

Go Gully

Debutant
Jan 28, 2008
victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Victory, Bulls
On the football field, not the bedroom ;)

Personally i play my best games in the middle, playing as center but i really enjoy Back Pocket. Might sound strange but i love defending more then goalkicking and with my size i love weighing up the forward pocket.

In my second year playing footy my coach put me there before the first bounce. I thought oh this is going to suck. Walked off the ground with 1st best in my pocket and from that day i have loved it. Im a feracious tackler and id rather make a huge spoil, lay an awesome tackle, knock another guy to the ground then take a mark, give a handball out or even line up at goal. Really enjoy backline...

This is just as important if not more important through the midfield. Just because your in the midfield does not mean you don't have a man to look after. Probably more important to spoil and espicially tackle so the opposition has some defensive pressure taking the ball forward.

For me.. having only really played down back or mid but, in and under, in the guts by far the favourite!

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Gotta be Full-Forward, only I havn't really played much there in the last couple of years, spent a heap of time in the back pocket/full back/HBF which I don't mind, as well as midfield. Much prefer it and IMO am far more valuable up forward however, if only the coach would see...

Dec 29, 2007
The Great Wall of Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Steelers Pistons Eels A's Red-Wings
Gotta be Full-Forward, only I havn't really played much there in the last couple of years, spent a heap of time in the back pocket/full back/HBF which I don't mind, as well as midfield. Much prefer it and IMO am far more valuable up forward however, if only the coach would see...

Get in your coaches ear. I did that one year after he started me on the wing to develop my running game, I just approached him after Rnd 2. and said; "this isn't where I am of best value to the team. I play my best football in defence, it's where I'm at my most confident. Give me a chance and you'll see." He made the change, and it saved my year.

swiftdog

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hard question as I've literally played everywhere bar ruck and CHB. My past roles. Didn't mind kicking a goal or two up forward, it was mor fun that playing in a negating role down back. My favourite position was tagging without a oubt. I struggled to get into games and found it difficult to find the ball so playing on the oppo's best mid allowed me to get into the game more. My coach gave me a licensce to to back myself and run off if i could which was good. Also gave me a licence to run my mouth and just generally be an annoying little s**t:).

betterthanu

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 29, 2006
ADL
AFL Club
Adelaide
I play either Full forward or CHF. I am 6ft 2 and can take a good mark. Its good fun when you kick a bag but i would still rather play on a wing than kick 5 or 6 goals out of full forward. The thing i love doing in matches more than anything (even kicking goals) is hitting leading forwards without them breaking stride. I did a full pre season this year so i could have the fitness to play there but we have few others to play my position so....

Edit: Ruck is my most hated position for the record. At only 6ft 2 you could imagine why

Lockie 1

Rookie
Jul 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
My absolute favourite postions are ruck and CHF :D. The reason being i'm about a head taller than all the CHB i play on and in the ruck i can basically dominate as i am the best tackler in my entire team

Themi#9

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Full Forward :thumbsu: i watched Fevola to improve myself

the opposition use to call me Fev cause of how i held the ball when having a shot on goal :D

Im telling ya it works!!! more grip and smooth release!!

Back