80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
yeah if scotty falls away its because of the short putter. on the face of it, it is, but dig deeper as you have done and it paints a different picture

Not being able to putt will put extra pressure on the rest of his game as well

yeah if scotty falls away its because of the short putter. on the face of it, it is, but dig deeper as you have done and it paints a different picture

I wonder at that level how hard it is, given the enormity of the change, to get the putting right so to speak. We've already seen it but coming into the ban there will be a hell of a lot more attention paid to those who have used the long putter in the past.

I wonder at that level how hard it is, given the enormity of the change, to get the putting right so to speak. We've already seen it but coming into the ban there will be a hell of a lot more attention paid to those who have used the long putter in the past.

the pressure will be huge

Played my 1st round in 8 weeks this morning, 1st light

Shot 1 over - nothing exceptional just tee to green consistent rhythm golf.

Amazing when i don't try and cremate the ball how much easier the game is.

Holden Scramble on Sunday

Combined handicaps of 68 - two of us off single figures

need 8 under off the stick to be competitive

10 under guarantees victory and an enquiry

Whats a reasonable percentage to score ratio?

Ie: I havnt been playing as much in the last 4-5 months but getting back into weekly games sometimes more on my 6 week break. Hit 45 but had 21 putts. I have no confidence in my putting right now and feel like im just never sinking the ball. Is that too many putts?

Ie: I havnt been playing as much in the last 4-5 months but getting back into weekly games sometimes more on my 6 week break. Hit 45 but had 21 putts. I have no confidence in my putting right now and feel like im just never sinking the ball. Is that too many putts?

Without knowing the range of putts you've had, both made and missed its hard to tell.
1st point...how many 3 putts?
Remove those first imo

what are you playing off?

which course are you playing at?

im sure your putting will improve. consider that you havent played as much in the past 16-20 weeks. putting is about touch and feel too. it will come back mate!

played kingston heath last week. par scoring method resulted in +1. only got to +2 at its apex. had a great time, even had longest drive for the day, as i was in the first group that hit the selected par 5. and the first in the group to hit the fairway. lol

bunkers are beautiful there. plenty of nice sand to hit. always got out in 1. no hitlers. putting good, used putter a lot off the green as the apron is so true

21 putts for 9 holes, yes that is too many.
30 putts for 18 holes should be your goal. So obviously 15 for 9.
Hard to say to how help without seeing you putt. But don't be scared of getting a putting (only) lesson from your local pro.

If you take those 6 extra putts off and you shoot 39 for the 9.
See how easily you can go from shooting 90 to breaking 80?

What process do people go through with putting. Im struggling to lineup and get a read at the moment. Do people pick a marker about a foot in front of the ball?

Any tips? or videos that have some good training tips ect?

Hit 43 yesterday and think i had 19 putts which is the same as 45 for 21 putts really.

I read my putt, aim where I think it needs to go, pick a spot nearby on that line then think about how much I need to put on it, which is the most important part given you aren't going one putt most of the time and you want to make sure you're only having two. I found having a very hot putter helped me early on as they don't require as much swing on the putt to get it going so IMO there's less chance of something going wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

putting wise, yeah i like long putts especially off the green. its about feel.

overall however, i reckon its about confidence and also knowing the green. experience. in that respect i love bringing mates to my home club and lol at their putts sliding 10m past.

speed is most important too especially when there is a bias. but overall pick a spot just in front and make sure the ball travels over it. remember once it leaves the putter theres nothing u can do about it

Ah putting - the most frustrating part of golf :)

Speed - as a rule, you should be aiming for your ball to have enough pace to roll approx 18 inches PAST the cup.
This is what is known as ' good holing speed'.

Line - 99% of missed putts from Amateurs are missed on the low side (not allowing enough for the break). You only get better at this by practice.
If you think of a hole as a clock face, and on a straight putt the ball would enter the hole at 6 o'clock. Now on a sharp right-to-left breaking putt, the ball should enter the cup at approx 3 o'clock. Being able to visualise this may help.

Oh and THE BEST tip for all golfers wanting to improve their putting:
Take your putter into your pro shop, and ask them to cut 2 inches off your putter.

I guarantee you will make more putts.

Why?
Whats the theory behind it?

Ok, providing that you are flexible enough or not too fat, a shorter putter is better IMO because it makes it easier to have your eyes directly over the ball and for your arms to hang freely to encourage a smoother stroke.

Ok, providing that you are flexible enough or not too fat, a shorter putter is better IMO because it makes it easier to have your eyes directly over the ball and for your arms to hang freely to encourage a smoother stroke.

oh i thought it was a scientific theory some pros/coaches came up with.

Don't believe me if you don't want to, doesn't bother me one bit.
But if you are struggling with your putting, if you try a shorter putter, and don't get any improvement, I would be very surprised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back