Your oh s**t moment...

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
I would be surprised if for most of us it wasn't the Waite miss, when it would have been 40 the difference, that went straight down the other end for a Pies goal to cut the margin to 29.
I just knew we were in strife then.
The alarm bells should have been ringing loud and clear.
Most damningly, it apparently wasn't until five goals later that we changed our structure....

I could tell in the first couple of minutes after half time that we are no longer switched on. That silly free to Pandlebury. We were sloppy. But a couple of goals the other way was all that was needed.

Loss of intensity is inexcusable.

7:35 in the second quarter against Adelaide. Dangerfield had kicked their third goal of the quarter, their 7th in a row and putting them 46 points up.

Amongst the noise of 40,000 Crowbots going off their heads in unison were 18 young men in royal blue and white desperately looking for a place to hide. They had seriously NFI what was happening to them and what they could do about it. It is a look that never ever belongs on an AFL football ground. Ever.

That was when I went "oh s**t". Because I knew that that look on their faces is the kind of look that can be replicated any time an opposition team gets inside their heads. I have no doubt that opposition coaches are telling their players that if they keep pushing, no matter what the scoreboard says, we can be broken. 4 of our 5 losses now have seen this look at one stage or another. That sheer helplessness - it pisses me off so much. It shits me to tears that when we went into half time 39 points up, I couldn't avoid the feeling it could still go horribly wrong.

I would be surprised if for most of us it wasn't the Waite miss, when it would have been 40 the difference, that went straight down the other end for a Pies goal to cut the margin to 29.
I just knew we were in strife then.
The alarm bells should have been ringing loud and clear.
Most damningly, it apparently wasn't until five goals later that we changed our structure....
Wasn't so much as an 'oh s**t' moment, more of a 'fricking typical' moment!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The day Brad went on record stating that beltings were acceptable as we learnt to develop. You shake your head now looking back.
Beltings are never acceptable. The way StKilda, Collingwood and Hawthorn treated us early on absolutely destroyed the resilience of this group.
You learn off the best but what you dont learn is to lie down. Brad backed the boys in when they were kids but this approach was always frought with danger. And it willl be his achilles heal which will ultimately ruin him as a coach.

If your arent good enough on the day, you arent good enough. Tho what is a non-negotiable is you NEVER EVER lie down. You teach players how to fight. How to stand up and be counted for. Because this sort of experience will hold each and every single one of them in good stead for pressure moments later on (such as now). It is why from the era 2010-12 the same fundamental flaws are still there. I mean how can a whole team be infected by cancerous panicking when a side has momentum surges against us. There is only one person to blame for this. The teacher.

Sure we can become a good or decent team. But this side doesnt have a premiership in them and the list needs a fresh mini overhaul so that it is flag calibre. Whoever has 4 plus years in them can be re-programmed from emotionless robot to passionate footballer so as when the time is called upon them to go they will.

Richmond game.

Can forgive the typical sluggish start to the season but we had a red hot invite to smash them into obvioion, and the way Richmond were playing, even a top 4-6 team playing at 25% would have done them in by 10 goals without blinking.

Waite, Gibson etc all these little things are minor bit pieces in the big picture.

Like a couple of others here, results like the 2nd half were predictable and really garnered no 'oh s**t' or angry moments.

When hundreds of Essendon supporters ran onto the MCG to celebrate Lloyds hundredth goal in the 2000 QF. Probably my worst football experience ever. There might have been another, an inaccurate second quarter, two years earlier. Things yesterday were mosquito bites by comparison - annoying, but not devastating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back