Your team's lowest ebb in last 25 years

Remove this Banner Ad

#1. Saints 24.18 (162) v Adelaide 4.7 (31), R7, 1991 at Moorabbin....I recall we kicked the first 3 goals, then NADA from that point onward! Thank God we never have to play there again.

I hate to kick you when you are down, but these are the qtr by qtr scores:

St Kilda 7.3 14.7 18.14 24.18 162
Adelaide 0.1 1.7 2.7 4.7 31

I have seen a replay of the game and the Saints were massive that day, Lockett was unstoppable. The fact we never made it past the semi finals that year was hard to accept.

EDIT: You guys did actually play us there the next year, a 74 point win to the Saints. Sadly, both results mean almost nothing to me because the one game against Adelaide I would have wanted to win over all others was not to be.

John McCarthy. The club itself was in a massive hole at the time, but for a young man not to come home from a footy trip with his mates was tragic.

1. we had our lowest finish on the ladder in the club history 14th ( we have only finish below 12th one other time in 99)
2. we had our lowest amount of wins in a season- 7
3. we received 3 massive hidings by 95,96,103
4. our coach resigned
5. Gunston, Davis quit the club

The off-field one probably has to be 1990 and the whole "Save Our Skins" stuff surely.

Nah, I'd go with when we signed Danny Frawley as coach.

We got him in large part because we'd gone through so many coaches nobody with any other options/credibility would go near us (bomber Thomson refused to take an interview for one).

We ended up keeping him on for 5 years, even though it was widely known he wasn't up to it well before then, in no small part because we HAD to change that mindset if we were ever going to attract a decent coach again.

This thread was made for demon fans. Its easy really, when we made grimes and trengrove co-captains, and i was thinking, i dont these two are any good

1. we had our lowest finish on the ladder in the club history 14th ( we have only finish below 12th one other time in 99)
2. we had our lowest amount of wins in a season- 7
3. we received 3 massive hidings by 95,96,103
4. our coach resigned
5. Gunston, Davis quit the club

Terrible year for South Australian football :oops:

The spoon years were bad, but tbh having Mick at the club isn't much better. He's not Carlton and never will be. It's the Pagan/Mick Martin situation all ove ragain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1998-2001. Also coincided with when dad started taking me to the footy. Horrid period for the club, on the verge of bankruptcy, serious talks about moving to Melbourne, list mostly full of players well over their peak and not particularly good in the first place etc. The one season we did alright was 2000 and after finishing 5th we lost to a mediocre Hawthorn team in the elimination final anyway. 2001 could be summed up by the Princes Park disaster :oops:

2006 get a dishonourable mention for very different reasons. I'm not sure too many teams fell as short of expectations as we did that year. Expected to be premiership contenders and ended up with a team that was immensely talented but gave zero ****s. In a three week period we lost to Collingwood by 102, kicked 0.9 and several OTF in the last quarter to lose to Richmond in Geelong after being up at 3/4 time, then gave up a 54 point lead against West Coast. Thankfully we got our s**t in order the next year.

Yeah 1998 was hard because we knew 97 was our last big chance. Considering our financial state made it worse. I think most posting in here would see their lowest ebb as when their club almost ceased to be. Your club losing and making s**t decisions with their list etc are bad. Not even having a club to support is something I couldn't even comprehend.

From the moment we sacked Stan Alves and hired a sports reporter (who promptly declared we didn't need a raft of great players like Nicky Winmar and the Wakelin twins), I knew we were buggered for a good long while. The team that played off for a Flag in 1997 won just twice only 3 years later, the false dawn that was Malcolm "I can coach this side from the golf course" Blight, regularly pinching defeat from the jaws of victory, recruiting a variety of no-hopers, never-weres and have-no-chance-of-ever-beings, tiny crowds at a cavernous Docklands stadium we paid through the nose to play at, the president and his best mate and neighbor the coach, it was one of the worst periods in the history of a club that could write the book, covert it into a screenplay and produce six increasingly weak and derivative sequels on worst periods in club histories.

We may be in a bad way now, but we have a plan that has begun to take root, nothing like the 1999-2002 period.

St Kilda FC. The Police Academy Movie series of the AFL.

Well was just agreeing with your comment that was bolded but anyway, paranoid brah?
Not paranoid, per se, just don't need or want you agreeing with my assessment of our past failures. It's one thing for me to say it, it's my club and sometimes if you don't laugh, you cry.

Also may not have been the part that was bolded and jumped to a silly conclusion. Still.

The loss in 2012 against GWS. Watching Primus leave the coaches box in distress wasn't nice to see. Holding back tears in the presser was bad too.

Struggling for attendance, sponsors, support, and being demonised by the media.

The Advertiser had a headline 'The New Fitzroy', or to that effect at the time.

Vehemently disagree. That loss was pound for pound our most important win in 5 years.

Given we'd been flailing along all year with almost everybody patronisingly saying we'd 'improved', without the loss to GWS Primus would've almost certainly got his contract extension and heaven knows where we'd be now. The pressure also ratcheted right up on the various governing bodies to sort the mess that was SA football's financial model out.

If I had to choose the three lowest ebbs:

1. 2007 Grand Final. To go from 3 hours away from a second premiership in a decade to the heaviest defeat in the club's 140-year history is as stark a walloping in professional sport as you'll ever see.

2. 2011 vs Gold Coast. Unbackable favourites at home against the competition new boys who to that point had looked like utterly substandard chaff. Duly eased to a 7 or 8 goal lead late in Q3 only to piss it all away. The dead canary down the mineshaft.

3. The back to back record thumpings at the hands of Collingwood and Hawthorn, knowing that because of the draft concessions granted to GWS and the removal of the priority pick we'd be looking at pick #4 or pick #6 at best.

'96, we almost went out of existence.

96 was also our greatest period because we came together like never before and started the process of rebuilding the Club into what it is today.

I loved going to games in 97 and 98 - we were s**t for the first time in my history of following Hawthorn but it just made the victories (when they came) just that more sweeter.

96 was also our greatest period because we came together like never before and started the process of rebuilding the Club into what it is today.

I loved going to games in 97 and 98 - we were s**t for the first time in my history of following Hawthorn but it just made the victories (when they came) just that more sweeter.
Agreed. Leading up to the vote, it was the worst. Post-vote, inspirational, even though we were rubbish on the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back