Your upcoming gigs

Remove this Banner Ad

Been a long time coming for me to see Papa Roach live. First time they've stepped on Australian soil since 2002 and I've been a die-hard fan of theirs since 2007. Very pleased about this opportunity.

10402881_10153304396937262_6717754716225825504_n.jpg

Went to the Nonpoint, Papa Roach & Godsmack sidewave at the Forum last night. I was only there for Papa Roach as they are my favourite band and I absolutely loved it. Put on one hell of an amazing show and it had been 13 years since they were last in Australia. Can go to the grave knowing that I saw Papa Roach live at least once in my life.

Papa Roach did more than 'Last Resort' ?
Infest was a classic! Between Angels and Insects; Broken Home; Dead Cell; Blood Brothers...
If I had the money to get to Soundwave this year I would've like to have seen them for nostalgia. Those sort of songs would be a lot of fun live too I imagine.

Just got back from Mogwai. My hearing should be back by about Wednesday. Staggering wall of sound.

One of the best gigs I've been to. Superb. Newer tracks such as Rano Pano, Deesh and Remurdered my highlights. And yes, ears are still ringing 24 hours later.

Just got back from Mogwai. My hearing should be back by about Wednesday. Staggering wall of sound.
And yes, ears are still ringing 24 hours later.

Where'd they play? Enigma?

That place ruined my ears over the course of a couple of years... The aftermath of Seraphs Coal's final show being the impetus to start wearing earplugs at gigs from then on...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mogwai gig was amazing, one of the best live bands I've seen. 65daysofstatic supported by Tangled Thoughts of Leaving this weekend at the Freemasons hall, should be ripper

Saw Neneh Cherry and Rocketnumbernine last night at PIAF. Absolutely brilliant. Her voice. Her dance moves. The set list..all spot on. The sound she gets with RN9 is very triphop as well going back to the her late 80s/early 90s hey day. Definitely try and see her if you're on the east coast.

Also saw Budos Band and Bomodi at PIAF. Both also very very good. Parquet Courts sleptwalk through their show on Friday night with no encores and were disappointing for the most part.

This is more the gigs I have already seen recently, but have not been active online lately.

The Silent World - The Rosemount. Local boys that now live all over the place, but back together for a gig while they happened to be in the same town. My nephew is one of the guitarists, but I would genuinely enjoy the shoe gazing post rock if he wasn't. Terrific gig that was loud enough to keep me awake even though it was late and mid week. (Felt extra old because my grand niece and grand nephew were there for their first gig).

Laneway Perth. I went late because I am old and did not want to stand in the heat all day. Was a pity because I wanted to see Angel Olsen, but decided I wanted to see St Vincent more. Got there in time to see Caribou who was terrific. Not my cup of tea in general but a nice mix of decks, loops and other quality musicians on stage. Plus, he seems like the nicest guy in the business.

Another, not normally my thing was FKA Twigs who I enjoyed. Very interesting sounds and stage presence.

St Vincent was amazing. Great songs, terrific guitar work from Annie and complimented by quality musicians. Top notch gig.

J Mascis/Mogwai - Chevron Gardens - One man show from J who showed just how brilliant he is on the guitar. Reverb used tastefully to build up the sound. Nice mix of songs with his cover of Fade into You and Dinosaur Jr's Alone my highlights.
Mogwai are just beasts. Started off with Heard About You Last Night. No chatter, just amazing musicians at their best. Loud ? Ear plugs failed the test. Brilliant gig.

Sharon van Etten. Supported by Tiny Ruins whose album I have and quite enjoy, but found quite dull live. Certainly talented, but needs more variation to what she does to mix it up a bit.
Sharon van Etten was brilliant. Solid band that let her showcase her great voice and beautiful arrangements. I Don't Want To Let You Down, Leonard, You're Love is Killing Me and Serpents were all brilliant. She is amazing. I imagined her being a bit too cool for school, but she was very affable, chatting with the crowd too.

Rufus Wainwright. Supported by his sister Lucy Wainwright-Roche, who made a big deal of being the not so famous daughter of Loudon Wainwright and half sister of Rufus and Martha. She was interesting, witty, self deprecating, chatted with the crowd, played nice guitar and had a very good voice, but it is a hard thing to do. Play acoustic guitar and sing without sounding like a million people that have done it before you. I enjoyed her set without being overwhelmed.
Rufus looked knackered when he walked on stage looking fabulous as he always does, but less formal than I have seen him in the past. A pink and white jacket with torn jeans.
Rufus mixed it up with sets at the piano or acoustic guitar playing mainly soslo apart from being joined by his sister for a few songs.

He played a big mix of songs featuring an opera song that he has composed and will be released shortly, plus a Shakespeare sonnet that he has composed music to. Montauk, Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk, Jericho, Out of the Game were all quality, despite him forgetting the words to Montauk (He was severely jet-lagged). His sister joined him dressed as Liza Minelli for a rendition of Me and Liza, along with a guy in drag who said he was Judy Garland, but may also be Bruce Jenner. Typical, Rufus Wainwright concert that just goes silly for a while. His sister joined him later and they sang a beautiful version of Hallelujah. He was brilliant, but a bit inconsistent. Maybe I am a bit blasé about just how brilliant he is as I have seen him so many times.

Coming up, I have First Aid Kit at the Chevron Gardens. Really looking forward to this, and not just because they are hot ! A big fan of their style of alt-country.

Completely out of the blue, Sun Kil Moon. Last I heard, he was touring Australia, but only the East Coast and then yesterday my brother lets slip that he is going to see him at the Bakery on 25th March. Benji was my favourite album last year and I am really looking forward to spending a couple of hours with lots of miserable people as he pours his heart out.

Saw Neneh Cherry and Rocketnumbernine last night at PIAF. Absolutely brilliant. Her voice. Her dance moves. The set list..all spot on. The sound she gets with RN9 is very triphop as well going back to the her late 80s/early 90s hey day. Definitely try and see her if you're on the east coast.[/B]

Also saw Budos Band and Bomodi at PIAF. Both also very very good. Parquet Courts sleptwalk through their show on Friday night with no encores and were disappointing for the most part.

Tnanks for that Mr_Bojangles, looking forward to their set @ GP :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back