YVMDFL Thread - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

A number of clubs have used a "loophole" that allows VFL permitted players to "play" 4 games with their club to qualify for finals. The sooner the league closes the loophole, so that returning players actually play those games "at 1st 18 level" the better. A VFL player returning for club duties should "not" be allowed to qualify for finals "at 2nd 18 level", or for 1st 18 finals by playing 2nd 18 footy. Simple really !!!

A number of clubs have used a "loophole" that allows VFL permitted players to "play" 4 games with their club to qualify for finals. The sooner the league closes the loophole, so that returning players actually play those games "at 1st 18 level" the better. A VFL player returning for club duties should "not" be allowed to qualify for finals "at 2nd 18 level", or for 1st 18 finals by playing 2nd 18 footy. Simple really !!!

Happened in EFL, Dean Grice had been playing at Port Melb, in the 1sts, and was qualified by being on Boronia 2nds team sheets when injured, then played in Boronia reserves Premiership.

I am with Tees - VFL players should only be able to qualify for 1st 18 games only, and should have to play in Seniors when given permit from VFL. If there is a reason then playing in 2nds should require special permit from YVMDFL.

Happened in EFL, Dean Grice had been playing at Port Melb, in the 1sts, and was qualified by being on Boronia 2nds team sheets when injured, then played in Boronia reserves Premiership.

I am with Tees - VFL players should only be able to qualify for 1st 18 games only, and should have to play in Seniors when given permit from VFL. If there is a reason then playing in 2nds should require special permit from YVMDFL.

Got no issues with young blokes coming home to play Senior finals. We should be encouraging clubs to send young players to the VFL.

Got no issues with young blokes coming home to play Senior finals. We should be encouraging clubs to send young players to the VFL.

I agree with Finger!!!!!!!!! - but should be Senior football, and I think there should be some qualification needed to show some commitment to home club, and to players who played to get team there.

Absolutely Finger, but in order to play Senior finals, you should've played 4 "senior games". Reserves games played or in most cases "names on Reserves team sheets" shouldn't count !

Absolutely Finger, but in order to play Senior finals, you should've played 4 "senior games". Reserves games played or in most cases "names on Reserves team sheets" shouldn't count !

Don't know that I agree Tees if the kids down at VFL trying to improve why shouldn't he be allowed to come home and get some reward for himself but more importantly for the club that's put the hard yards into him.

We'll have to agree to disagree then mate, I know where I stand on it...I would seriously doubt that many people would agree that returning VFL players "signing" team sheets in the "2nds" should constitute games towards finals qualification.

We'll have to agree to disagree then mate, I know where I stand on it...I would seriously doubt that many people would agree that returning VFL players "signing" team sheets in the "2nds" should constitute games towards finals qualification.

TeeS and Finger,

Tough subject as we had the same happen in 1 of our local League's where 2 realy good senior footballers were injured most of the year, and in result qualified for reserve grade grand final and 1 of them kicked 9 goals in a close game that they won too.

All I can say is footy is a very cruel game at times.

Finger,

Players heading to Cudgewa in the UMFL from YVMDFL?? Got any names and Info on these few palyers??

BEER PIG:cool:

Has anyone had a look at the Under 18's Survey yet?
and if so any thourghts on it?
Friday night games?
or Sat arvo AFTER the seniors (seniors to start earlier) might be interesting
But will that help?

Just went through it.
And I think it will help. We are struggling at the moment and continuing with a system that has given poor returns is really not very sensible. Time for a change.
The survey is also a good initiative as it will help the Board plan its strategy, as well as provide some background for the local club members to adjust to the idea. Well done to the Board! They are being proactive.

Playing Sat nights - or even Fri night - will put some focus on the kids and give them a decent prep time. Getting teenagers out of bed at sparrows, to drive them to the other end of Victoria so they can kick the dew off the grass in front of two men and a dog, is not ideal. It also tends to exclude many parents from watching.
Twilight games (prefer Sat night so that the spectators are there) is better. The kids are more likely to feel part of the club rather than a side show and the hours are decent. Parents will get a better chance to look at their kids in the full club atmosphere. That's got to be a good thing. Some clubs will need to upgrade lights, but there are a number that can do it now and they should be used to the optimum. Maybe the League can assist with loans targeting key clubs over the next year or three?
Twilight games under lights will lesson the burden on the Junior fixtures as well. It is probably worth running a few U16's games on a Friday - or even Saturday night if the club has no U18's. Alcohol rules may have to be addressed.

Has anyone had a look at the Under 18's Survey yet?
and if so any thourghts on it?
Friday night games?
or Sat arvo AFTER the seniors (seniors to start earlier) might be interesting
But will that help?

Saturday nights would be ideal. Gives the kids that are offered work Saturday morning a chance at both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saturday nights for mine...we'll be back in our new rooms for the start of the 2014 season and when that happens we'll then start to fundraise for competition standard lights. 5pm start for U18s after the Seniors means that volunteers don't have to be at the ground so early. Just hope the YV eventually change the silly 9.30am start time for B Res netball and move it all back at least 30 mins to an hour (the reason given was so that the A Grade girls could watch there boyfriends play football - please you're kidding right ?)

Saturday nights for mine...we'll be back in our new rooms for the start of the 2014 season and when that happens we'll then start to fundraise for competition standard lights. 5pm start for U18s after the Seniors means that volunteers don't have to be at the ground so early. Just hope the YV eventually change the silly 9.30am start time for B Res netball and move it all back at least 30 mins to an hour (the reason given was so that the A Grade girls could watch there boyfriends play football - please you're kidding right ?)

didn't 16 out of 18 clubs vote that time slot in?
Saturday nights are ok, but what about the club volunteers/coaches/trainers etc etc who have plans on saturday nights? Is everyone supposed to stop living through football season

Could be argued that early starts on a Saturday stops people making plans for Friday night so maybe there is no nett change - just which night that is free. Plus, a 5pm match will be finished by 7pm.

didn't 16 out of 18 clubs vote that time slot in?
Saturday nights are ok, but what about the club volunteers/coaches/trainers etc etc who have plans on saturday nights? Is everyone supposed to stop living through football season

Our club was one of two that definately didn't vote for it...ridiculous reasoning !

I'd suggest that 90% of volunteers who are involved in early Sat morning roles are still at the club at 7pm anyway (again I can only go on what happens up here )

I think players and coaching especially would find the 5pm Saturday arvo much more to there liking IMO.

Our club was one of two that definately didn't vote for it...ridiculous reasoning !

I'd suggest that 90% of volunteers who are involved in early Sat morning roles are still at the club at 7pm anyway (again I can only go on what happens up here )

I think players and coaching especially would find the 5pm Saturday arvo much more to there liking IMO.
I like the Saturday Night option but how many clubs have got lighting good enough to stage night games-at this stage we haven't

Friday nights = crazy.
Club people would be expected to be at the footy - Tuesday?, Thursday night, Friday night, all day Saturday (plus Sunday if Juniors or Vets in family).
Not sure Saturday night is the answer either - many of the kids have jobs in the arvo post footy or play basketball?
My solution would be starting the U18s at 11:30am, Reserves at 12:55pm - removing the long half time break for both, i.e. 5 min breaks for all in reserves and U18s, Seniors at 2:40pm (10 mins later than normal).
This way more people can do what they need to in the morning and not have to be there so early, plus more people would see the Unders in action by getting there at their normal time. Plus the poor lighting situation in our league will have no impact as the MAIN game being the senior football.
The netball would need to move times later too, ensuring that the move had the desired effect for them too. Maybe 10:30am or 11am start for B Reserve. Agree with TeeS that there is a minimal number of A grde girls who would be shattered to miss the first half of the seniors if there was an overlap.

Friday nights = crazy.
Club people would be expected to be at the footy - Tuesday?, Thursday night, Friday night, all day Saturday (plus Sunday if Juniors or Vets in family).
Not sure Saturday night is the answer either - many of the kids have jobs in the arvo post footy or play basketball?
My solution would be starting the U18s at 11:30am, Reserves at 12:55pm - removing the long half time break for both, i.e. 5 min breaks for all in reserves and U18s, Seniors at 2:40pm (10 mins later than normal).
This way more people can do what they need to in the morning and not have to be there so early, plus more people would see the Unders in action by getting there at their normal time. Plus the poor lighting situation in our league will have no impact as the MAIN game being the senior football.
The netball would need to move times later too, ensuring that the move had the desired effect for them too. Maybe 10:30am or 11am start for B Reserve. Agree with TeeS that there is a minimal number of A grde girls who would be shattered to miss the first half of the seniors if there was an overlap.
The Seniors start at 2.15 during the home and away games not 2.30

The Seniors start at 2.15 during the home and away games not 2.30
ok, most lights in our league at current standard would be able to handle the fading light for the first half an hour post the normal 2012 finishing time. Still believe that this solution is more viable than the alternatives.
Maybe Seniors play with Yellow footy post half time or for the whole game, lights on at half time every game.

Main point being that volunteers wont want to be there for ANOTHER night, unless they have an active dislike for spending time with their own families. And the cost of bringing one or two sets of lights around the league up to standard for the extra half an hours play, rather than the whole lot for night competition could be looked at by council/league rather than the clubs pocket.

Maybe clubs could perhaps reduce the payroll for players for a season or two and buy there own lights.

I get the impression that some people are anticipating problems that probably don't exist! I think that support staff would be able to adjust quite readily.
The reality is that what we are doing at present, is not working to satisfaction.
Let's give these ideas a go and find out for sure how well they can work. They can always be modified if need be.

I get the impression that some people are anticipating problems that probably don't exist! I think that support staff would be able to adjust quite readily.
The reality is that what we are doing at present, is not working to satisfaction.
Let's give these ideas a go and find out for sure how well they can work. They can always be modified if need be.
I don't know whether these ideas would work or not but I can't agree that people are anticipating problems that don't exist. Playing unders on a Saturday night isn't that straight forward. Clubs rely fairly extensively on both bar sales and functions to raise cash, both would have to take a huge hit. I can't imagine it being an ideal environment to have spectators inside drinking at the bar whilst unders are running around. Like it or not there are blokes that like to go to the footy on a sat arvo and enjoy a few refreshments, more than anything local footy is a social event that brings people together within the community. To me it would seem unrealistic to discourage grog sales on a sat arvo due to juniors being played every sat night based purely on the fact that clubs bottom lines would be too greatly affected.Most clubs I would have thought don't have a liquor license to serve outside after prob 5pm and would want, encourage bar sales after the main game. That mixed with the fact that like it or not people aren't going up to the footy on a sat arvo to watch the under 18 game, that's just a fact. Another issue has to be the weather/climate we find ourselves in. I guarantee I'm not the only one that has run out after half time of the senior game up at olinda and it has been arctic with visibility poor, now thats at 3:30, imagine it at 6:30/7 with another 45 mins of footy to go.I would suggest that %75 of venues in the valley just aren't in a great spot for night footy in the winter months.
I can see that the leagues/clubs issues with under 18's footy are slowly creeping to crisis point and that options need to be discussed but night footy in my opinion creates a burden on clubs that is unnecessary.
Only my opinion though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back