Opinion Zac Clarke

Remove this Banner Ad

MadDocker

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
3 goals up against what is a decent defensive unit. 14 touches, 5 marks, 2 tackles.

Was really impressed with his game, especially the marking and kicking at goal. If he could consistently put in that kind of performance our forward line would look a lot more dangerous.

I hope he takes some confidence out of the game and can attack the next few in a similar fashion.

3 goals up against what is a decent defensive unit. 14 touches, 5 marks, 2 tackles.

Was really impressed with his game, especially the marking and kicking at goal. If he could consistently put in that kind of performance our forward line would look a lot more dangerous.

I hope he takes some confidence out of the game and can attack the next few in a similar fashion.

You would hope this will shut up the drop Clark brigade:D

His work rate has lifted, covered the ground well to get onto the mark the in the last qtr.

He was absent for most of the first qtr though, I was concerned with him early but he came home with a wet sail.

Has to back it up next week with Griffin and Kepler knocking at the door.

I had an argument with someone on here in the lead up to this game about Clarke.

Playing him more as a forward produces results!

Yeah, hopefully this performance leads to some good form over the next few games. We'll need a lift from all our players against Port and the cats.

Always loved Clarke's potential and he's really matured over the last 18 months or so. During the game yesterday we we're just saying that he's still been much better around the ground where it'd be such a huge bonus for Freo if he could be that ruck/forward.... then the conversation got interrupted as Clarke makes a great collection, wheels around and kicks his first from all but 50m out :)

His work rate has lifted, covered the ground well to get onto the mark the in the last qtr.

He was absent for most of the first qtr though, I was concerned with him early but he came home with a wet sail.

Has to back it up next week with Griffin and Kepler knocking at the door.

I love him kicking for a goal on the run, he is so accurate.

He still got pushed out of the contest a few times too easily, but we have something to work with.

If it was me sitting on the selection committee I would be looking at Keplar to come in not as competition for Clarke but as well as.
Given we have Walters out now for the long term I would base our forward line around three talls in Pav, Clarke and Keps ATM.
Ballas, Mayne and Crozier as the smaller players with Mayne and Crozier rotating into the midfield with Fyfe/Barlow rotating HF.
With 3 quite mobile tall players like that they should always be able to have at least one lead up tall player on the wing plus a couple of talls in or running towards goals for them to then kick it to.

Clarke still has issues with his running patterns getting in the way of Pavlich and drawing his opponent in as well - yesterday was a sign of improvement with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it was me sitting on the selection committee I would be looking at Keplar to come in not as competition for Clarke but as well as.
Given we have Walters out now for the long term I would base our forward line around three talls in Pav, Clarke and Keps ATM.
Ballas, Mayne and Crozier as the smaller players with Mayne and Crozier rotating into the midfield with Fyfe/Barlow rotating HF.
With 3 quite mobile tall players like that they should always be able to have at least one lead up tall player on the wing plus a couple of talls in or running towards goals for them to then kick it to.

Clarke still has issues with his running patterns getting in the way of Pavlich and drawing his opponent in as well - yesterday was a sign of improvement with that.
I like this. It would also allow Tabs to come in for Keplar to get a few games later in the season to continue our development.

I agree with playing Clarke as a forward. Mentioned this the other day, he can take a good grab and kick goals.

Kepler still a few weeks away in my opinion and Taberner not taking his chances when they're given to him. Crozier needs to lift too, dont think he has kicked a goal this season yet?

Always loved Clarke's potential and he's really matured over the last 18 months or so. During the game yesterday we we're just saying that he's still been much better around the ground where it'd be such a huge bonus for Freo if he could be that ruck/forward.... then the conversation got interrupted as Clarke makes a great collection, wheels around and kicks his first from all but 50m out :)

My only worry is Darren Glass probably isn't much of a barometer this year.
Zac pretty much exposed him bad by keeping mobile ie; that first goal from about the 50 mark and leading a fair bit.

My only worry is Darren Glass probably isn't much of a barometer this year.
Zac pretty much exposed him bad by keeping mobile ie; that first goal from about the 50 mark and leading a fair bit.

Glass can still hold his own. It was impressive that Clarke was able to use his strengths against Glass' weaknesses.

Could be good but it means losing another running player so if it happens Clarke and Keps better be ready to run and tackle, a lot.

Ultimately what helped Zac yesterday was being on the move. When Glass destroyed him in the first Derby of 2012, he was usually planted to the spot waiting for the ball to drop into his arms - leading to easy spoils and takeaways.

It's been the main blight on his forward play ever since, but yesterday he actually managed to move towards the ball, which gave him the body separation to take the marks and his kicking was more accurate than usual also.

As RTB said in the post game referring to Sandi's marks a lot of it is actually about delivery.
When Glass had the better of Zarke in 2012 it was as much our delivery which crucified him as anything Glass did.
Zarke's just getting up to speed after a very bad pre-season.
Mayne seems to be in about the same boat.
We're building we'll be better but the comp is harder.
Port are rapid as well as being a long running team.

Last edited:
Could be good but it means losing another running player so if it happens Clarke and Keps better be ready to run and tackle, a lot.

True that but also would see less of trying to kick to Ballantyne and hoping he can outmark much taller players, Ballas would only be for the crumbs.
Mora instead of Kep may be another option. Need a balance between having the big targets for pressure kicks in versus having smalls and needing to make sure you lower your eyes and hit them rather than banging to Pavlich.

I had an argument with someone on here in the lead up to this game about Clarke.

Playing him more as a forward produces results!

I don't know if it is me you are referring to but he played as the second ruck / forward on the weekend, just as he has for almost his entire career at AFL level.

Just because he kicked goals does not mean he changed positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back